The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+29
eirebilly
Dave.
Taylorman
Pal Joey
greybeard
Adam D
Ozzy3213
Mrs Penfro
littleswannygirl
MBTGOG
Mick(TEFC)
red_stag
mickyt
PenfroPete
nottins
prop_lyd
Cari
Luckless Pedestrian
Suspicious lurker
Thomond
Biltong
Hound_of_Harrow
Notch
Glas a du
Gibson
Portnoy
WillyGilly
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Cymroglan
33 posters

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 21 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:45 am

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the Lionel Nallet photo on the bar. That's a banning offence

So pull up a chair....what'll it be?

Ale cuppa coffee mug guinness cider RedWine Bubbly

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 21 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Gibson Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:00 am

Notch wrote:Our problem isn't negative rugby at all, it's a failure to understand how to implement an attacking style of rugby. It's what we're trying and failing to do. The desire and intent to attack is there but we have no real idea of how to do it. As it stands we'd be better kicking more ball and pressurising sides as our defence is very good and we have a number of accomplished tactical kickers.

We'll talk about Kidney after the RWC. I think we'll improve as the tournament goes on and make a quarter-final which we probably won't win.

Gaffney is definitely leaving. We need to add someone with top-class experience in backs coaching to the management. Preferably from the SH. That's half our problem; poorly coached backline.

You saw what Gaffney did to the Leinster backs, and the difference when he left. Not sure how he got this gig to be honest.

So he' s failed yeah? He has no idea of how to implement it, because he has never done it before in his career. Back to the past. He's failed. The IRFU wanted and stipulated a Semi as his real goal, if he doesn't make it, bite the bullet and sack him. To persevere, would be more of the same, continual, IRFU mediocrity. Ive had 40 years of it. Enough I say.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 21 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Notch Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:25 am

No, you can't fail before a tournament begins. Not a single ball in the World Cup has been kicked yet. If he delivers in the World Cup, he delivers.

In terms of evolving our game he has so far failed. Well, not personally failed. The coaches he has delegated the responsibility to have failed- so far- in evolving our attacking game to the level required to hurt teams.

It's been a very discouraging few weeks. To be fair, it's a bit silly to expect us to be able to change our rugby DNA without the right influences- Gaffney is the wrong man for Ireland, Kidney in question now as the man at the top but my hands are bound really by the fact I said they would be judged on the World Cup and the World Cup hasn't started yet. As worried as I am by the failure to absorb the lessons of frequent defeats and under-performances, these aren't the games they will be judged on. Have to remind myself to hold my fire on them until the judgement day rolls around. Must be careful to avoid knee-jerk negativity.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:36 am

Right, I am 50 minutes in to the game and the score is 20-9. My simple thoughts on each of the two teams at this stage are these...

Ireland - they look like England did last week. Not quite sure of how best to penetrate the opposition despite having the opportunities to do so.

England - have learned some of the lessons from last week and seem more decisive in their decision making leading to better penetration.

Last week some of Englands bluntness in attack was down to good Wales defence, and likewise this week England have defended well. I am encouraged, so long as Johnson gets his selection decisions correct over the next few weeks.

For Ireland, they will make the QF for sure, only Australia in their pool will be able to beat them, and if everything clicks into place for Ireland they could still yet win that match. If they can avoid South Africa in the QF, they have more than enough in the armoury to dispatch Wales, Samoa or Fiij and make the semis, which in reality has to be seen as a successful tournament.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:42 am

Big question is, will Kidney go against his grain and play Jennings v Pocock? SOB v his mentor Rocky? That happens.. and we win. Man's a phooking delayed genius. But, he won't. Not knee-jerk. 40 year jerk. OK

And you can fail before a tournament begins. Its all about getting it right and he has not over 3 years. He has wasted far too much time on the wrong choices. Injuries have forced his hand and helped him progress. Most of the good stuff has happened by default. Not by inspired leadership and design.

Simple thing is, BOD won us the SLAM. He makes the difference between us being average and good. Hard and worrying Truth.

Last edited by Gibson on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:46 am

His hand may be forced. Wally is gone, and Heaslip took a knock?, 1F though fit could well break down at any time, the options in the back row are running out.

I said last week that 1F, Wally and Healip is Irelands best back row. With no Wally, I would play the Leinster unit with 1F on the bench.

Will Deccie? Who knows.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:47 am

POC has been excellent for Ireland by the way.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:50 am

The crux of an interesting comment by one of The Rugby Paper's writers.

Ireland can only put in a superb performance when the game is 'personal' to them.

Can't be orsed to dig the paper out of my bag downstairs for the exact words, but I think that's a tad harsh. I would reckon the writer was specifically referring to the denial of a Slam for England.

On a lighter note, and for the sake of balanced reporting, I read the Irish Indo's comments on the match. The title of the article escapes me but (in an analogy of Deccie) the comment "We all know Jesus was a carpenter, but he didn't play on any of their records" had me spluttering beer all over the table. Genius!

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:50 am

Do you know what, rugby is a simple game complicated by people who have to justify their own existence sometimes.

I don't.

England won this match simply because they wanted it more. Physically they fronted up and Ireland did not match them. Earlier this year in Dublin it was the other way round, and Ireland got the result.

It is a physical contest, and England imposed themselves physically over Ireland. Had 3 or 4 more Ireland players matched POC's intensity out there it may have been different. They didn't and it wasn't.

Seemples. Smile
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:52 am

Hound, I don't think that's harsh, I think it is a fair comment borne out by results. When Ireland get themselves up for a game, they are immense, but how often have they produced the sort of performance they did against England earlier this year over the past 4 years?

Rarely is the answer.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:06 am

That is key Pete. Phook, I should be in bed with a loose woman right now, but its great to talk to two astute English fans about this. Some of the Irish posters go round in never-ending provincial circles.

We have never, in the modern game, ever - strung two great performances together. Specially when it counts. Why is that? Is it our pysche? Italy are really beginning to worry me now. We will give our all against Oz and lose. What's left?

Night lads. Good making Sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REJ2qdZ_LRU
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:14 am

Pete, for sure England learned more from the 6N game than Ireland on the strength of yesterday's game. We were a lot better at the breakdown(despite the penalties) and the defensive alignment was largely spot on. I only saw the second half, but I wasn't concerned when Ireland were chucking everything at us towards the end. We looked solid.

And I have no idea why Ireland kept kicking for touch towards the end when we have arguably a better line out. That was a tactic I might have expected if the score was reversed. To keep handing us back possession was crazy.

Anyway, both teams have issues with their coaching staff. Neither bunch will see either team make the final imo Sad

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:21 am

Hound. Ale
We saw the practice Final yesterday morn. Id back my Life on it.Maybe the result too. We are so far behind that level - its scarey.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 am

Saffas may have something to say about that Gibbo.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:32 am

Gibson wrote:Big question is, will Kidney go against his grain and play Jennings v Pocock? SOB v his mentor Rocky? That happens.. and we win

I doubt it, but all the best with that. I'd be surprised if you believe that really, you wum. Ireland won't beat Aus in the group and as I said will do well to beat Italy too. Still it shows how premature talk of semi finals was. Pocock will make absolute mincemeat out of Jennings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:42 am

Risca Rev wrote:
Gibson wrote:Big question is, will Kidney go against his grain and play Jennings v Pocock? SOB v his mentor Rocky? That happens.. and we win

I doubt it, but all the best with that. I'd be surprised if you believe that really, you wum. Ireland won't beat Aus in the group and as I said will do well to beat Italy too. Still it shows how premature talk of semi finals was. Pocock will make absolute mincemeat out of Jennings.

I think you missed my lead-up Rev. No way will we beat Oz. Just like Wales vs SA. They would have to have key-injuries, an off-day, a disaster to lose. But, I still believe Jenno is the only Irish man for Pocock. 7 v 7. He may lose the battle, but he is the best we have on offer to do it. Warburton is yours.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:51 am

Get to bed you. You've made more comebacks tonight than Sinatra Wink

Jenno is a poormans Gavin Thomas. FACT.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aht9hcDFyVw
zen
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Booooooom!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:50 pm

Just to add to a point made last night, not sure if anyone’s addressed it.

Hurricanes and tropical storms are named after women every second year (odd numbered) and after men every other year.

Andrew – 1988
Katrina – 2005
Irene – 2011

At least that’s how I think it’s done.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Morning Mickado

Good point, well made.

Is it because women are odd, and men are even (fair)... Run
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Exactly. And for some reason Pete, women are more destructive!
Still on cloud 9 after the Dubs match, the Ireland game is in the file and forget category, but before I put it away forever I have to say congratulations to England, we were poor, but they were very good, deserved the win.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Morning All coffee

That's an interesting point Mickado (the odd/even name hurricane thing). I bet you had a blast at the game yesterday. I have to say, it wasn't a great game to watch, but chuffed they won all the same Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:23 pm

Morning all.

a mixed weekend with sport and band stuff this weekend.

Delighted with United's capitulation of Arsenal and I fear for them now to be honest without 5-6 players.

Dublin great to see. I will be in the UK the weekend of the final so il expect some texts about the results.

I'm with Mickado on the Ireland result. but have to remain confident where possible..
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Morning Micky,

That football result was a bit mad wasn't it? My colleague in work's an Arsenal supporter, so she won't be happy. I'm off until Thursday anyway.

What you up to over here on the AI final weekend?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:28 pm

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21