The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RGC 1404 U18

2 posters

Go down

RGC 1404 U18  Empty RGC 1404 U18

Post by Cymroglan Tue 23 Aug - 9:58

This Sunday, RGC 1404 U18 and U16 take on the Scarlets in the first of the age-group championship games, the U18 squad is announced

Sunday sees the first matches for the RGC 1404 Age-grade sides in this season's Regional Age-Grade Competition when the Under 18s & 16s face their counterparts from the Scarlets. With the upgrading of the pitch at Eirias Parc not being scheduled for completion until October,the Under 18s game will take place at Colwyn Bay Rugby Club. K.O. 2.00pm.

In last season's competition both games against the Scarlets were closely fought affairs with the RGC side gaining a narrow victory away in South-West Wales and the Scarlets gaining revenge in an equally tight affair at Eirias Parc. The Under 18 squad which has been back training since the end of June contains within it 14 of last seasons players and it is hoped that the experience those players gained last year will mean that this year's competition will be the North Wales region's most succesful yet.

The Under 16s, who start the campaign at their usual home venue of Rydal School, again 2.00pm KO, will be looking to build upon the success they achieved last season as Under 15s when they won the Amdahl Bowl at Swansea's St Helens ground. Like the 18s they have been back training as a squad for nearly two months. Both squads recently spent a residential weekend at Rydal School as part of their pre-season training and there is no doubt that they are the best prepared regional age-grade squads yet.

Marc Roberts the WRU Performance Development Manager in North Wales said "The Regional Age grade competition is a huge part of our development pathway, it gives our players the opportunity to be measured against the best players in Wales. Because of the hard work of the Staff, Coaches, Players and management we have become ever more competitive and this season we look forward to the challenges that the competition will bring"

Following Sundays matches, both squads next fixtures will be away to the Dragons on Sunday, 11th September
LINK

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

RGC 1404 U18  Empty Re: RGC 1404 U18

Post by Shifty Tue 23 Aug - 16:26

Hopefully a few of them can play themsevles into the Scarlets academy. At least these kids are getting exposure!
Lets hope they do well.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Aug - 19:52

Can I ask what the ultimate aim/remit of RGC1404 is now? The Scarlets no longer cover North Wales as far a I know. Therefore, is the ultimate aim for this region/team to produce players for the other regions, I.e. A way of looking for talent in the north, developing it and shipping it out to the regions in the south. Or, are there plans to get a senior team into the Magners league? I think I heard that they may be entering the Welsh second division or something, is that right? I can see a big player drain to the 'southern' regions, or to English clubs, if there is no professional end destination in North Wales for these players. The reason I ask is that the WRU is heavily involved (coaching staff, funding, etc.) in this team more so than others so there must be a sports development agenda of so sort at the heart of it, right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 23 Aug - 21:26

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down