The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 players who are a better fullback than Lee Byrne.

+10
sirtidychris
Luckless Pedestrian
captainrapido
Knowsit17
LondonWelsh99
wales606
ML
majesticimperialman
Shifty
krusty
14 posters

Go down

3 players who are a better fullback than Lee Byrne. Empty 3 players who are a better fullback than Lee Byrne.

Post by krusty Sat 20 Aug 2011, 3:36 pm

He really is god awful. My 3 players would be.

Spencer John
Jason Jones Hughes
Chris Horsman

krusty

Back to top Go down

3 players who are a better fullback than Lee Byrne. Empty Re: 3 players who are a better fullback than Lee Byrne.

Post by Shifty Sat 20 Aug 2011, 3:44 pm

Spencer John was a dam good player, his sister was my German teacher in school! She had great legs too heart
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

3 players who are a better fullback than Lee Byrne. Empty Re: 3 players who are a better fullback than Lee Byrne.

Post by krusty Sat 20 Aug 2011, 3:46 pm

Hook needs to start against South Africa. Byrne dropped. Jones on bench. Priestland or Quarterthruppence at fullback.

krusty

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 20 Aug 2011, 4:21 pm

I was going to post a thread asking if Lee Byne, had played himself into the Welsh squad for NZ, or as he played himself out of the squad?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by krusty Sat 20 Aug 2011, 5:55 pm

Most certainly out but Gatland luvz him xxx

krusty

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sat 20 Aug 2011, 6:08 pm

Hysterical over reaction to an ordinary performance from a player coming back after injury.

Unfortunately we need him at his best, because we are a much more potent attacking force when he is.

When did you start supporting rugby Krusty? Last week? Whistle

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by krusty Sat 20 Aug 2011, 6:18 pm

Can't take a player who had consistently underachieved since 2008.

krusty

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sat 20 Aug 2011, 6:33 pm

krusty wrote:Can't take a player who had consistently underachieved since 2008.

I think we can, because Morgan Stoddart is the only real replacement for him. Priestland, Halfpenny and (at a pinch) Hook can all cover full back - but all of them are more convincing elsewhere.

I hope Byrne will go, and with a little more preparation can recover the form that made him the best in the Northern Hemisphere. He may not be ready to start against SA, or may start and not finish - but he has the experience, and even when playing poorly, there is no standout replacement for him.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by krusty Sat 20 Aug 2011, 6:35 pm

He makes easy suicidal mistakes. On way too many occasions he has missed easy kicks to touch (many of them penalties).

krusty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 20 Aug 2011, 6:38 pm

15. Preistland

Please...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sat 20 Aug 2011, 6:39 pm

Thats your basis for dropping him? Missing touch? Mmmmm - then Hook and Halfpenny will be staying at home too then.

As I said - your reaction is hysterical. He wasn't outstanding today, but he was no where near as bad as you claim, and by the time Halfpenny took over on the hour, the Argentinian threat had been snuffed out.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonWelsh99 Sat 20 Aug 2011, 6:53 pm

I don't think Byrne did that badly, (although I only caught the 2nd half). He's obviously not at his best although he clearly needs playing time. It's not like Wales have that many options at 15. The lineouts a shambles, worrying considering that's the pencilled in front 5 for the SA match.

LondonWelsh99

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 20 Aug 2011, 6:56 pm

As ML says a very silly over-reaction from a recurring number of fickle fans.

No, Byrne didn't play very well but he wasn't the walking disaster many of the pessimistic haters make him out to be. That was his first game for Wales in how long? Although he didn't particularly contribute to the win, he defended okay, especially during the first half-hour Pumas offensive. His kicking game was found wanting again but that was about it.

What I'd like to know is how most of you would react if you were in Byrne's position, coming back from injury and all people could do is treat you as if you'd single-handedly lost the game. Think about it Rolling Eyes

I'd say with Stoddart out injured Byrne will probably make the flight. Whether in the starting XV, bench or as a reserve, I wouldn't have that much to say. When's the last time Halfpenny had a good game at 15? Priestland has never played there for Wales, although I wouldn't complain if he did against SA. Before anyone mentions Hook, he's five times more of a 10 than a 15...

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by captainrapido Sat 20 Aug 2011, 7:03 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:

What I'd like to know is how most of you would react if you were in Byrne's position, coming back from injury and all people could do is treat you as if you'd single-handedly lost the game. Think about it Rolling Eyes

This is irrelevant.

Can any of you defending Byrne tell me something he did well/solidly today? Any attacking decision he made ended up in tears. Compare to Rougerie's performance for France today - imperious.

captainrapido

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sat 20 Aug 2011, 7:05 pm

Mmmm - Krusty is a WUM obviously - he has started another thread saying that Byrne is one of his two FB picks to take to the World Cup.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 20 Aug 2011, 7:05 pm

He last played 4 months ago to be fair against Munster in April, so lets give him a chance, we should take him to the World Cup, but I think Priestland as someone stated above, should be our first choice 15 at the moment, he looks sharp.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 20 Aug 2011, 7:16 pm

captainrapido wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:

This is irrelevant.

Can any of you defending Byrne tell me something he did well/solidly today? Any attacking decision he made ended up in tears. Compare to Rougerie's performance for France today - imperious.

Why is it irrelevant? It's the attitude adopted by many people hell-bent on having someone to throw rocks at, which frankly is a petty child's attitude, probably coming from the same sort of people who were booing today even though we won comfortably.

As I believe I've already said, Byrne's attacking was poor but his defence wasn't bad, especially during the early Pumas offensive.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 20 Aug 2011, 7:19 pm

The truth is that he was very poor today. But he'll go to the World Cup because we don't have enough standout full backs in Wales.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sat 20 Aug 2011, 7:40 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:The truth is that he was very poor today. ...............

I wouldn't even agree with that. He looked what he was, a player coming back from injury. In the absence of Morgan Stoddart, we dont really have many options.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sat 20 Aug 2011, 7:50 pm

Poor old Hook he plays a different postion every game ....he is the most gifted footballer in the welsh backline maybe in the NH....build the team around him. Poor chap has had to leave his own country and team he grew up with in order to find somehwere that will start him where he wants to be. If he was number 10 from the start of his career and kept there the welsh would have a flyhalf to rival dan carter going into this worldcup...but instead you have a very gifted player who is good at several positions and master of none....where next gatland...hooking options are looking a little fragile at the mo.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by captainrapido Sat 20 Aug 2011, 8:46 pm

Knowsit, I was saying it was irrelevant because people's perceptions of Byrne's comeback have little to do with how he actually played. That's all.

I think that it is relevant to say he played poorly, because he did, and that, whether or not he has just come back from injury (much like Rougerie, as I said, who played superbly) he shouldn't be supported as a leading option at fullback.

Isn't it hard to agree with that?

Otherwise I suppose you could argue that, with the lack of options Wales have, it would be better to be supportive. But as a neutral I have no reason to be so.

captainrapido

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Sat 20 Aug 2011, 8:54 pm

Stoddart injured leaves Gatland ( unless he's got a cunning plan )with newby Priestland or byrne .

I think Hook's wasted at FB and needed at 10 so it will have to be Priestland . Which is a lot of pressure to put on him for the WC.

I might have settled for Henson but as bad luck would have it he's got a dislocated bone.

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 20 Aug 2011, 9:32 pm

At least if Priestland played full back he'd look to see if there was a counter-attack on. Lee Byrne doesn't even bother to look. All he wants to do is kick the ball away, and if he's not even doing that well, there isn't much in his favour.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sat 20 Aug 2011, 10:39 pm

Byrne failed to do the basics and had a poor game. Rougerie was also returning from injury today, you're either ready and up to it or not. Byrne is not IMO but will go on reputation, same goes for Nuggett. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 20 Aug 2011, 10:49 pm

Rougerie looked like he'd never been away. He could be one of the stars of the World Cup.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:02 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Byrne failed to do the basics and had a poor game.

I have just watched the game again specifically to check out Byrne's performance, and whilst Byrne wasnt brilliant, he certainly WASNT as bad as posters here are making out.

Yes he overcooked a couple of kicks (including one that should have been passed outside) but he made all his tackles, stealing the ball in the process on one ocassion, took a difficult pass that was behind him and still managed to set Halfpenny free outside him, threw a good miss pass to set JD2 and George off too. He ran intelligent supporting lines but the ball didn't reach him often.

Saying that he had a poor game and failed to do the basics is bull I am afraid!

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:04 pm

We beg to differ - its allowed thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:05 pm

RubyGuby wrote:We beg to differ - its allowed thumbsup

Of course! Hug

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeyprop Sun 21 Aug 2011, 12:12 am

I note that your 3 alternatives are 2 props and an Australian. Having played against Spencer John I can say he was (and perhaps is) a tw*t but as a prop he is clearly on a higher evolutionary plane than a leather hoofing fullback. Never played against Horsman, but by default the same applies.
Puzzled that you singled Byrne out for criticism; from what I saw at the game Wales' problems were further upfield than fullback. The number of turnovers that Wales conceded was shocking. Is Martyn Williams finally getting too old? Also, you need to wrap Adam Jones in cotton wool, because without him the scrummage looks awful.
On a positive note Knoyle & North were sharp & I thought Brew did enough as sub to justify a seat on the plane.

donkeyprop

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 21 Aug 2011, 12:14 am

Nice appraisal donkey thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun 21 Aug 2011, 12:54 am

donkeyprop, I have to disagree that Brew did enough to justify his place on the plane. If he'd been given a fair crack of the whip, it would be different. The truth is that Aled Brew hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip. He's come on as a sub here and there. Let's be honest: we know George North is quality, and we know what he can do; so why on earth has he played every game? Seeing as they knew they were taking him to New Zealand, why didn't they give Brewy a full game to show what he could do in a Wales shirt?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun 21 Aug 2011, 11:30 am

I had this argument last night about Brew, I don't think he's been given a fair chance either. He was always looking for ball and helping out with rucks etc but never got chance to show his pace with ball in hand.

I'll be gutted for him if he doesn't make the squad but will be very glad to have him back in the Dragons squad OK
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down