The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

world champions who didnt start well

+12
Soldier_Of_Fortune
J.Benson II
Imperial Ghosty
Pedro147
Mind the windows Tino.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Colonial Lion
Lumbering_Jack
Michaels, Sean
HumanWindmill
Rowley
eddyfightfan
16 posters

Go down

world champions who didnt start well Empty world champions who didnt start well

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:06 pm

i thought i would use the fountain of knowledge that is 606v2 to try and find out examples of world champions who didnt make great starts to their careers. the first example i can think of is sheffields own johnny nelson, losing his first 3 fights on points.

JMM also lost his first bout, via DQ granted, but you only need to look at the amount of 0-1-0 records on boxrec to understand that the commitment needed to become a champion is above and beyond what most people are prepared to suffer.

the reason i ask is i find it interesting the kind of people who become world champions, for all our critisms of different boxers anyone that steps through the ropes and has the dedication to box professionally deserves credit and there are examples of people who weren't born brilliant, but rather learned and practiced all their skills to become world champion.

i would really appricate any other examples that you can think of.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

world champions who didnt start well Empty Re: world champions who didnt start well

Post by Rowley Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm

Billy Conn is always one that springs to mind, don't know the exact stats but his early career was massively patchy, which considering he is to many experts a top 10 light heavy weight of all time is pretty impressive. Should be said though that Conn had literally no amateur fights so is perhaps understandable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

world champions who didnt start well Empty Re: world champions who didnt start well

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

Henry Armstrong and Bernard Hopkins are probably the storied ones, eddy, though Carlos Monzon lost fairly early on, also.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

Bhop lost very early on.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:10 pm

Manny was blasted out in the lower weights by two pub fighters in his early days.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:12 pm

Jess Willard was disqualified in his first bout and then knocked out shortly afterwards by a club fighter.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:14 pm

Bernard Hopkins lost his first pro fight
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:14 pm

Jersey Joe Walcott and Carmen Basilio didn't hit the ground running, either. Each of them had a pretty chequered career early on, and each of them had already retired at least once before hitting the big time.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

didnt know about hopkins, makes you glad they stuck with it

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:17 pm

Steve Robinson. Don't know the exact details but I think he lost something like 5 out of his first 10 fights or something along those lines.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:18 pm

Johnny Nelson lost something like his first 5 fights and went on to be World Champ at Cruiser, good turnaround and example of what knuckling down can do.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

Thing to remember with Conn was the fact he was literally no more than a boy when he started out and was still physically maturing fighting in and around the light welterweight limit before becoming comfortable at Light Heavyweight, this in itself may explain his lack of power higher up the weights.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm

Pedro147 wrote:Johnny Nelson lost something like his first 5 fights and went on to be World Champ at Cruiser, good turnaround and example of what knuckling down can do.

he lost his first 3 on the trott, and 5 of his first 11 over all, he also hit a bit of a losing streak mid career

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:24 pm

Jesus Chavez lost in his 5th pro fight and went on to become a 2 weight World Champ!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

ray austin also lost his debut fight, on points over 4 rounds.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:42 pm

oliver mccall also lost his second ever professional bout

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:45 pm

Michael Bentt on his pro debut got sparked by Jerry Jones in under a round.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:45 pm

alma wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:Johnny Nelson lost something like his first 5 fights and went on to be World Champ at Cruiser, good turnaround and example of what knuckling down can do.

he lost his first 3 on the trott, and 5 of his first 11 over all, he also hit a bit of a losing streak mid career

I think Nelson campaigned a lot at heavyweight in the early days if memory serves

He started off as a light heavy/cruiser early on, in middle of his career he campaigned at heavy a little bit.

Went 10 rounds with Corrie Sanders so he musnt of had a bad chin.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:46 pm

J.Benson II wrote:Michael Bentt on his pro debut got sparked by Jerry Jones in under a round.

They didnt know he was an southpaw apprantly!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:02 pm

Colonial Lion wrote:Jess Willard was disqualified in his first bout and then knocked out shortly afterwards by a club fighter.

For a second there I thought you were referring to Dempsey as a club fighter.

Too be fair on Willard, he quit against Cox as opposed to being knocked out. I believe he hadnt even been floored up until he fought Dempsey.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:12 pm

Nonito Donaire lost a UD very early on. Now a unified champ.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:19 pm

Think that Alexis Arguello was 16 when KO'd in his fourth fight (thought it was his first, I must say!). Sandy Saddler was also extremely green when stopped for the only time in his life in what was just his second fight, if memory serves.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:55 pm

Terry Downes lost early in his career and went on to briefly hold a world title.

He lost to Dick Tiger who also lost a few times before having an average career.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

i have read somewhere that ali wasnt all that for his first couple of years boxing (before he turned pro) but he put the effort in and stuck with, and the rest is history. dont know how true that is, but i'd at least like to think its true.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

Maurice Hope. He dropped a decision early on I think before winning a world title.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:49 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:i have read somewhere that ali wasnt all that for his first couple of years boxing (before he turned pro) but he put the effort in and stuck with, and the rest is history. dont know how true that is, but i'd at least like to think its true.

Not so sure, eddy. I know he was a Golden Gloves champion etc, can't have been all bad.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:07 pm

Gatti lost one early on before going on to be a multi weight world champ.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down