The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath confirm Donald signing

+2
MBTGOG
PJHolybloke
6 posters

Go down

Bath confirm Donald signing Empty Bath confirm Donald signing

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:38 pm

So that's it then, Stephen Donald will be playing at The Rec this coming season, it was long expected as I first heard about it after the final game of last season, but I have to say expected as opposed to anticipated.

There were visa issues based on the fact that Donald hasn't played for NZ since 2009, long after the 15-month period they usually look for in order to establish a player's ability to offer something not to be found amongst the natives of these shores.

This is the statement from the BBC website:

An RFU spokesman said: "The panel accepted that Stephen Donald is an internationally established player of the highest calibre who can play an important role in the development of the game at the top level in this country."

So, Donald is going to help the development of the game (at the top level) in this country despite not being good enough to represent NZ for nearly 3 years?

Will the last one out please turn off the lights, thank you.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Bath confirm Donald signing Empty Re: Bath confirm Donald signing

Post by MBTGOG Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:41 pm

These are the obligations he needs to fulfill:

- That he should mentor key Bath Rugby academy players

- That he should assist in the development of the club's elite England players

- That he should play a leading role in growing Bath Rugby's relationship with the Rugby Players' Association's Player Development Programme

- That he should assist Bath Rugby in developing its brand within the local community

Personally, I think he is a very good signing. I believe he will excel at this level.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:52 pm

I'm aware of that Munsty, but what bothers me is that a player not good enough to play for the No.1 ranked nation in the world for 3 years is considered good enough to "develop the game at the highest level" in the No.4 ranked nation.

I have no axe to grind with Donald and I think he'll be a like-for-like replacement for James, ups and downs so-to-speak, the problem I have is that some Berk at the RFU has successfully argued that SD will be of benefit to the whole of the future of English rugby!!!

Might as well run the white flag up now as admit to that.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:56 pm

PJHolybloke wrote:I'm aware of that Munsty, but what bothers me is that a player not good enough to play for the No.1 ranked nation in the world for 3 years is considered good enough to "develop the game at the highest level" in the No.4 ranked nation.

I have no axe to grind with Donald and I think he'll be a like-for-like replacement for James, ups and downs so-to-speak, the problem I have is that some Berk at the RFU has successfully argued that SD will be of benefit to the whole of the future of English rugby!!!

Whole of the future? No, it sounds to me like they've made sure that if he is to come here, it's not just for a big pay day but he'll work for the club outside of just playing and try leave a good legacy.

Also, I'm sure he would have played a few more games for New Zealand if it wasn't for the fact he was behind the best out half in world rugby.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:09 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
PJHolybloke wrote:I'm aware of that Munsty, but what bothers me is that a player not good enough to play for the No.1 ranked nation in the world for 3 years is considered good enough to "develop the game at the highest level" in the No.4 ranked nation.

Whole of the future? No, it sounds to me like they've made sure that if he is to come here, it's not just for a big pay day but he'll work for the club outside of just playing and try leave a good legacy.

Also, I'm sure he would have played a few more games for New Zealand if it wasn't for the fact he was behind the best out half in world rugby.

You old romantic!

I agree that the signing has it's merits, without being particularly earth-shattering, but it's the statement from the RFU spokespillock that's got up my nose.

If we indulge a little further with a romantic analogy, don't you think it could be construed as:

"I've bought you a lovely diamond ring my darling to signify the commitment I'm making, we're so good together we should never be apart again, we'll have beautiful children who will go on to make great names for themselves....... and by-the-way I've got syphillis." Shocked
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:41 pm

Do they not count the Hong Kong match last year- or is it starting- plus he played in the AI's last year??

Anyway. I think you'll find Donald will fit it very well. Hes a very good player and has all the skills. He just couldnt make the right decisions quick enough at the very top level but he definitely has something to offe. At times can be lethal.

I for one wish him well after what hes had to go through since Hong Kong, GH probably to blame for that one.

I'll be following him next year if he gets to transfer ok.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:42 pm

Oh you old cynical sod Wink

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:20 pm

Taylorman wrote:Do they not count the Hong Kong match last year- or is it starting- plus he played in the AI's last year??

Anyway. I think you'll find Donald will fit it very well. Hes a very good player and has all the skills. He just couldnt make the right decisions quick enough at the very top level but he definitely has something to offe. At times can be lethal.

I for one wish him well after what hes had to go through since Hong Kong, GH probably to blame for that one.

I'll be following him next year if he gets to transfer ok.

OK Taylorman, tis a done deal. I don't have a problem with SD, I'm not in raptures for sure, but I'm OK with it and I'll always welcome anyone to The Rec with genuine warmth and an open mind - it may be what SD needs to make a fresh start and he'll be given every opportunity to do that at Barf.

I wish him well too, but I disagree with the reasoning that clinched the deal. Hug
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:20 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Oh you old cynical sod Wink

How very dare you!!!! I resemble that remark. Wink
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:43 pm

PJHolybloke wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:Oh you old cynical sod Wink

How very dare you!!!! I resemble that remark. Wink

Laugh

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:11 am

Happy days. Will fit in well, great runner and distributer, and no weak link in defence either.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:51 am

Any news on when he'll actually turn up in this country?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 16 Aug 2011, 11:29 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Any news on when he'll actually turn up in this country?

I presume he'll be with Waikato until the end of the ITM cup (early October). McAllister had to play rubbish for 6 weeks before he got an early release to go to Toulon. And I doubt NZRU would let Donald go before the end of the RWC just in case the fly-half ranks get decimated by injury.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down