The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmisch - Women's Slalom

Go down

Garmisch - Women's Slalom Empty Garmisch - Women's Slalom

Post by Bleausardv2 Sat 19 Feb 2011, 1:59 pm

Another Spring like day, with the course the only white area to be seen against a background of mud and green! After the first run, a course set by one of the German coaches, Marlies Schild was in first 0.21 seconds clear of Tania Poutianen with Schild's team mate Katrin Zettel 0.61 behind in third. Riesch, Kirchgasser and Maze were all in touch, and with ZDF predicting that the second run might give the early starters a possible 2 second advantage the stage was set for an exciting afternoon.

So, with the state of the course and the warm conditions suggesting that there could be an upset on to run 2, set by one of the Austrian coaches. As if to show that it was going to be tight, Erin Mielzynski (CAN) set a really fast time (the fastest on the 2nd run, I think) on the new course to take an early lead, and with 8 racers gone the top 3 were only separated by 0.04 seconds. Then Barthet and Tessa Worley, who has become one of my favourites after her performances earlier in the week, opened out the gaps to go 2 & 1 respectively for France.

Almost immediately Zuzulova took the lead away with another cracking performance, but the course was really starting to tear up, with the added problem of cross ruts from run 1; a couple spectacular DNFs suggested we might yet see a possible upset, but then in quick succession the lead passed to Hansdottir, Mölgg and then Tina Maze. Hosp and Kirchgasser didn't make any impact with their runs, the latter skiing out, and then came home favourite Maria Riesch - she was flying until an error and possible straddle cut down her speed; even so she took the lead and the slow motion replay showed she was OK.  The hopes of the German crowd were dashed by Maria Pietilä-Holmner of Sweden (MPH) with an astonishing run which proved that despite the state of the course, the later starters were still in with more than a chance.

Zettel reinforced that view with a superb run, to take the lead for Austria, while Poutianen had a couple errors which dropped her to joint 6th (I understand she is being investigated for not taking the correct line through a gate; if that is so, she will be disqualified but no news at present). That just left Marlies Schild, the leader after the first run, to show if she could hold out under the pressure of expectation - no problems and she put in a very respectable 2nd run to take a well deserved and really welcome gold medal - great effort and yet another for the Austrians! Zettel took second (more rejoicing in the Austrian camp) and MPH third. Well done to Schild, and the Austrians - their Ladies team now has 5 medals, four of them gold, from these championships! I do feel sorry for Riesch though - these were her "home championships" and to get flu just as they got underway must have been infuriating; even so with 2 bronze medals I think she's the best of the Germans?

Last edited by Bleausardv2 on Sun 16 Mar 2014, 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update on Tania Poutianen)
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Garmisch - Women's Slalom Empty Tanja P

Post by Bleausardv2 Sat 19 Feb 2011, 4:04 pm

Latest news I can find is that Tanja Poutianen was disqualified from the Women's Slalom, BUT has been reinstated and thus reamins in joint 6th place
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down