The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kiwi fans boycott

+13
greenandpleasantland
disneychilly
Bathman_in_London
thebandwagonsociety
Adam D
Pot Hale
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Effervescing Elephant
Notch
GunsGerms
chewed_mintie
TheGreyGhost
welshjohn369
17 posters

Go down

Kiwi fans boycott  Empty Kiwi fans boycott

Post by welshjohn369 Wed Aug 10 2011, 09:57

As reported tonight on NZ news, some Kiwi fans are bying the new AB shirt but are using black masking tape to blank out the Adidas logo.

Adidas have reported on "Close Up" NZ TV, that they will not reduce the price of the shirt as they pump much $$$ into all areas of NZ rugby.

Could the NZRU now live without Adidas who have now stated that they actually do more than just the 'shirt'?

welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Kiwi fans boycott  Empty Re: Kiwi fans boycott

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 11 2011, 11:58

Crickey. I see Richie McCaw's wife is getting involved.

I suspect it's a giant PR disaster for her to start bringing up LV handbags at this point in time.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu Aug 11 2011, 15:45

Bit stupid isn't it? I think adidas may require Sir Richard Hugh McCaw to part with this wayward lass.... 2-3 weeks I give it.

Adidas have done themselves a mischief here, they've thought they could get away with overcharging the NZ public. Good on the average kiwi for havin the wherewithal to stand up and say this is wrong. Now do similar effort x 100 for child abuse please!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 11 2011, 15:50

Interesting that Adidas claimed that the pricing discrepancy was caused by "currency fluctuations". That could only be true if the market jersey price was determined at 2pm on the 4th March 2009.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Aug 11 2011, 15:57

No surprise really seeing the NZ public Whinging about something rugby related. Probably the same people who will be upping prices for accommodation etc. ripping off tourists.

If they wanna save money they could just buy Englands second jersey as it's quite similar if not a little nicer than the ABs first strip.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:00

A poor attempt leinsterbaby! laughing

I think it is a rip off, of course it is, but replica jerseys always have been. Its a question of the scale of the ripoff. You don't need an All Blacks jersey to be a big All Blacks fan and I hope the fans in New Zealand vote on this by keeping their wallets in their pockets.

If people are happy to be ripped off, thats their business and Adidas will do very well out of it but I can't see why you would want to let them get away with it. A boycott is a marvellous idea.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:05

"As reported tonight on NZ news, some Kiwi fans are bying the new AB shirt but are using black masking tape to blank out the Adidas logo."

Except it isn't a boycott if they'ye still buying it. Seems a tad pointless to spend all that cash then just blank out the logo. Why not try not buying it?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:06

Carpe Diem wrote:"As reported tonight on NZ news, some Kiwi fans are bying the new AB shirt but are using black masking tape to blank out the Adidas logo."

Except it isn't a boycott if they'ye still buying it. Seems a tad pointless to spend all that cash then just blank out the logo. Why not try not buying it?

It makes no sense. They really don't care either way once the money is in their coffers.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:07

Exactly.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:07

In breaking news, Kiwi fans are cutting off their own noses to spite their faces.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:08

leinsterbaby wrote:No surprise really seeing the NZ public Whinging about something rugby related. Probably the same people who will be upping prices for accommodation etc. ripping off tourists.

If they wanna save money they could just buy Englands second jersey as it's quite similar if not a little nicer than the ABs first strip.

A bit harsh LB. You can buy an AB's replica jersey for £55 in the UK - the same jersey was (before some NZ retailers opted to sell it at cost) selling for the equivalent of £105 in NZ. And the RWC version (ie with the IRB logo added) is going for £115 on the IRB website - £20 more than the equivalent Wallabies one.

Admittedly the RFU are selling their replica shirt for £93 too (the cotton version is cheaper).
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:10

A marvellous idea - invented by the Irish. Whistle
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:18

Kiwireddevil wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:No surprise really seeing the NZ public Whinging about something rugby related. Probably the same people who will be upping prices for accommodation etc. ripping off tourists.

A bit harsh LB. You can buy an AB's replica jersey for £55 in the UK - the same jersey was (before some NZ retailers opted to sell it at cost) selling for the equivalent of £105 in NZ. And the RWC version (ie with the IRB logo added) is going for £115 on the IRB website - £20 more than the equivalent Wallabies one.

Admittedly the RFU are selling their replica shirt for £93 too (the cotton version is cheaper).

Yes but it's the world cup. Everyone is raising their prices. How concerned are the NZ public with extortionate hotel prices?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:20

leinsterbaby wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:

Yes but it's the world cup. Everyone is raising their prices. How concerned are the NZ public with extortionate hotel prices?

I suspect it depends if they're in the market for a hotel room or not Wink

Just kidding, there's been a fair amount of criticism directed at those putting their prices up.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:21

You can get the Wallabies one at a 10% discount off the RRP here at the 606v2 shop - https://www.606v2.com/t11371-606v2-shop-please-take-a-look

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:22

Shameless Hobo! Smile
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:28

How much did the NZRU pocket selling the jersey making rights to Adidas? You would swear Adidas are the only ones making a packet out of this. How much margin are the stores getting on the jersey sales? They are all making a mint out of it. And they are hoping most of the 90,000 NH supporters heading over will by a jersey as a momento to bring back.

If they really want to rebel, just by a plain black rugby jersey.... or can you sell a jersey like that in NZ without infringing on the copyright of 'black' as a colour.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:30

Dunnes Stores in Ireland makes replica AB jerseys and sends them for around a tenner. Shop around.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:30

Wouldn't it be simpler to just buy a 'classic' all black shirt with no logos or sponsors? Still, I guess its the principle of the thing.

Adidas have certainly done a good job in building up the All Black brand and associating themselves with it, would Canterbury or anyone else ever be able to muscle their way in?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:34

Alternately you could ask why Adidas has been so willing to trade off virtually all goodwill with the fan base they paid heavily to buy in to. Not a clever strategy.

Such a clear, unjustifiable attempt to exploit a local market is not only tacky, but naive. There is just no way to justify a 100% mark up on a 90% mark up.

My personal feeling is that buying a replica jersey is a bit bum any way, and anyone who really wanted one who discovered that one could be purchased online from overseas should probably have just done that.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu Aug 11 2011, 16:57

In a way I like what Adidas have done with the jersey itself over the years, I think they've kept in tradition and had some good stuff. I think if we'd signed with Nike they'd have screwed it.

The price is ridiculous especially as NZ wages are pants. Worried about the WC not just about people ripping off the foreign rugby fans, but the locals will get stiffed as well as they find everything has been hiked up.

Just a q for the Kiwi fans in the know about printing. Where would you get the official numbers printed on the jersey? And would there be anywhere in Europe where you could get the same done?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 11 2011, 17:11

I dunno, the jersey from the Taine Randell days with the embossed black (silver) fern that made them look like cheap Dr Who villains was a travesty.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by greenandpleasantland Thu Aug 11 2011, 17:12

I say NZ fans should boycott it....i read an opinion online from a Kiwi that said to just buy a black t-shirt. Seemed sensible to me. I do find some of this sports marketing a bit tacky. I couldn't bring myself to buy that godawful change top for England.......and that after Nike talked the RFU into that embarassing grand slam video. And that after the monstrosity that was the purple shirt.

I think the only odd top i liked recently was the cream coloured number worn against Wales the other year!

greenandpleasantland

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu Aug 11 2011, 21:45

Speaking of ridiculous pricing, I was in the Elverys Rugby Store in Dublin today-the Irish WC jersey is 100 Euros! That's ridiculous. Just a comparison-the AB 2011 jersey is 63 Euros and the AB 2011 WC jersey is 75 Euros, and the Canterbury shirts (SA and Scotland) are 63. Kooga, who have the Aussies and other teams eg Canada, are charging an exorbitant 85 Euros for their WC shirt. Nike (England and France) are 63 here.

Jeepers creepers. BTW the Irish WC shirt's material is like a thick rashie, I think it looks terrible! Stupid looking collar too-feel sorry for Munsty and Leinsterbaby!

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri Aug 12 2011, 02:05

I think some people dont get the problem.
The problem is not the price of the jersey as such. Its that Adidas are charging NZ more than other countries AND then blocked NZers ability to buy online.(would have thought that to be just about illegal.
Personally I think buying shirts is a bit naff and buying the new one every time one comes out just crazy.
I bought my ABs shirt to commemorate the end of Athletic Park in 1999. When Wespac Stadium closes in about 80 years I reckon I'll get my next shirt.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri Aug 12 2011, 02:29

Never owned an All Black jersey,never seen the need,never seen why.
To me rugby jerseys are always dirty,muddy smelly things.
i do somewhat agree with Richies chick, if you think its too dear just dont buy it, its the same reason why I dont drive a ferrari.......

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Fri Aug 12 2011, 06:45

I own many rugby shirts many ITM clubs, super 15 but only Wales & NZ international shirts. I own all the Welsh provinces too. Why? Hard wearing material. Each to their own innit.
Oh I do not have an auckland or the Blues shirts, doubt if I ever will.
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Fri Aug 12 2011, 07:27

nganboy wrote:I think some people dont get the problem.
The problem is not the price of the jersey as such. Its that Adidas are charging NZ more than other countries AND then blocked NZers ability to buy online.(would have thought that to be just about illegal.
Personally I think buying shirts is a bit naff and buying the new one every time one comes out just crazy.
I bought my ABs shirt to commemorate the end of Athletic Park in 1999. When Wespac Stadium closes in about 80 years I reckon I'll get my next shirt.

Think they've now backtracked and you can buy from USA again. Won't be bothering and will stick with my NZ top I bought back in UK 2 years ago for half the price I could buy it for in Christchurch.
Agree with the hard wearing quality of the old rugby shirts, my Scotland and Lions ones are over 25 years old but admittedly the collar has now gone on both of them Crying or Very sad

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Aug 12 2011, 08:59

disneychilly wrote:Speaking of ridiculous pricing, I was in the Elverys Rugby Store in Dublin today-the Irish WC jersey is 100 Euros! That's ridiculous. Just a comparison-the AB 2011 jersey is 63 Euros and the AB 2011 WC jersey is 75 Euros, and the Canterbury shirts (SA and Scotland) are 63. Kooga, who have the Aussies and other teams eg Canada, are charging an exorbitant 85 Euros for their WC shirt. Nike (England and France) are 63 here.

Jeepers creepers. BTW the Irish WC shirt's material is like a thick rashie, I think it looks terrible! Stupid looking collar too-feel sorry for Munsty and Leinsterbaby!

I think it looks crap too. Whats new. Actually preferred our jerseys in the canterbury days. I always buy last years jersey anyway. As long as I am wearing green at the game I don't really care. You can buy replica jerseys in Dunnes and Carrolls for less than €20. They're fine too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Aug 12 2011, 09:25

aucklandlaurie wrote: Never owned an All Black jersey,never seen the need,never seen why.
To me rugby jerseys are always dirty,muddy smelly things.
i do somewhat agree with Richies chick, if you think its too dear just dont buy it, its the same reason why I dont drive a ferrari.......

I suppose it is also easier to steal a rugby jersey than a ferrari?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri Aug 12 2011, 09:38

Any of our London residents care to answer Biltong's question?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri Aug 12 2011, 09:39

laughing
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Aug 12 2011, 09:41

disneychilly wrote:Any of our London residents care to answer Biltong's question?

Are you planning something dusney? angel
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri Aug 12 2011, 10:06

Got to see a man about a dog first...

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri Aug 12 2011, 13:27

Mind you if you nick a Ferrari the getaways a bit faster.

Hey Welsh sounds like you've got a bit of a jersey fetish.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down