The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Best Workouts

2 posters

Go down

Your Best Workouts  Empty Your Best Workouts

Post by Geordie Mon 08 Aug 2011, 6:41 pm

Hey guys,

Just wondering what your favorite workouts are?

Any good burpee / press up routines etc

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Your Best Workouts  Empty Re: Your Best Workouts

Post by gibbo104 Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:14 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Hey guys,

My favorite exercise is going on YouTube and watching the Gracie Brothers break down the latest MMA matches. Unfortunately they haven't put a new video up for about a month so I haven't worked out for quite some while...

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:57 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Hey guys,

A favorite of mine which I got from rosstraining.com & is a real killer that gives results is this :
100 skips
10 press ups
10 burpees
10 squats
This is done continuously 10 times in this order

Also have tried tabatha training, which if you dont know is taking 2 exercises, in my case press ups & squats, you do 20 seconds of one exercise 10 seconds rest then repeat, total 8 20 second rounds, 1 minute rest & do the same routine with the 2nd exercise, another killer routine but very quick to do, great if you dont have much time.

A new one I got recently from my kickboxing trainer is done for 1 minute duration with 10 seconds rest & onto the next exercise, as follows :
Hip squats
Single leg/running squat thrusts
Single leg step up onto chair & raise knee of the other leg
Jumping lunges, 5 normal lunges per leg then you jump from left lunge position to right lunge position
Back against wall legs at 90 degrees
Dumbell shoulder press (light weights as its for 1 minute)
Side lat raise/front lat raise (as above) 1 rep is side, down, front, down.

All very simple basic stuff that requires the minimum of equipment but a lot of effort which you can do in the gym, in your home or in the park.

What are yours? Be nice to discuss & share some tips.

Just noticed the jumping lunges are done after the back against wall but dont think it really matters just the way i was shown.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 08 Aug 2011, 11:15 pm

Hey Sohotnot

Thats similar to what we do actually.
We do tabata as well its a fabulous workout. We mix it up though so we actually do 8 different exercises aswell ie Hindu Press Ups, Barbell Press and Shoulder push, Burpees etc.

We do alot of basic circuits....but will do a leg circuit (about 8 ex's 30 secs each, twice round), followed by upperbody, a fitness one then a sit up circuit.

Your one below also reminded me of a workout we do on the five aside pitch on the roof of the gym.
100 skips
10 press ups
10 burpees
10 squats

We do - 30 Star jumps, 20 Burpees, 20 Press Ups, 20 Sit ups. Then straight into shuttle runs over the pitch, then sprinting 3 times round the outside.
We do this 3 times, then finish with 20 lengths of the pitch.
Altogether thats 1 circuit. We do three. Last about an hour....and is a cracking fitness session. Im 16st and not a runner - so it really hurts me...unlike some of my mates who are 9 stone wet through Very Happy

Another one is the burpee wourkout.

Mark out two spots two meters apart.
Simply do 30 burpees at one mark, walk to the other mark and do 29.
Walk back to the first mark and do 28 and so on down to 1.
It hurts.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 5:26 pm

@GeordieFalcon

Yeah your circuits sound good, they can always be altered slightly so you dont fall into the trap of doing the same old routine or getting bored with it, can already see an ascending/descending variation on your roof top one.

With regars to the Tabata do you just do it with 8 different exercises or 8 tabats? Used to do something similar to your 2 meters apart one, it was a set of press ups (example) up 2 meters down again for a set of press ups done 5 times, back to the start & another exercise & so on. Or 5 different exercises up to 5 sets depending on amount of reps done each time, could be 10 or 20. Sometimes we'd do a 100 skips after each circuit completed then on to the next. These type of workouts are real killers & send your cardio through the roof, by little tweaks & alterations you never really get used to them & sail through them, slaughtered everytime.

I checked back on the weightlifting forum & noticed you were the guy who posted an interesting bodyweight routine that was poo poo'd by the big men & hinted that it was only suitable for smaller guys, even it could cause injuries, this is from guys who all seem to have or have had injuries from big weights. As it is or was rather when I was doing circuit training years ago & was training with MMA's James 'The Colossus' Thompson whose out of the ring weight was 20st & he had no problems. I kind of find it strange guys who can do some huge compound lifts at low reps really struggle at bodyweight exercises, their cardio aint what the like to think, certainly cant see them doing 50 - 75 lengths of a swimming pool!

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:26 am

Yeah i just love doing circuits...and the variation is endless just by tweaking them.

Yeah i got poo pooed big time...but hey let them get on with it. I do weights heavy weights twice a week...the rest is circuits and boxing / muay thai.

Im 16 st and 6'1 so no lightweight myself, but i just couldnt go through the boredom of pushing weights every day...day in day out.

I also love it in training when your about to do a class and some huge meathead steroid boys walk in to train.

You can guarentee within the first 5 mins the sick bucket is being used. Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Aug 2011, 8:27 pm

I also love it in training when your about to do a class and some huge meathead steroid boys walk in to train.

You can guarentee within the first 5 mins the sick bucket is being used. Very Happy

/quote]

I bet! Must admit when I was doing some hardcore circuits on the reg none of the above types ever came along, the odd couple that showed interested never took it any farther than that, the closest I could compare to that was a semi pro MMA fighter who used it as part of his conditioning/cardio training & coped well. It did make me laugh when a gym friend showed interest but was disapointed there was no bag work! Well what did he expect?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down