The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shuggy for Wasps

+7
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
formerly known as Sam
nickj
Jenifer McLadyboy
Thomond
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
11 posters

Go down

Shuggy for Wasps Empty Shuggy for Wasps

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:31 pm

In all today's excitement, I nearly missed this - Hugo Southwell has been picked up by London Wasps: Southwell to Wasps - probably not a bad place for him to be, expect that he will get some decent gametime there OK

Braveheart

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Welsh/Wasps/Welsh/Wasps - freudin slip or what?!?!)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Shuggy for Wasps Empty Re: Shuggy for Wasps

Post by Thomond Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:33 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:In all today's excitement, I nearly missed this - Hugo Southwell has been picked up by London Welsh: Southwell to Wasps - probably not a bad place for him to be, expect that he will get some decent gametime there OK

Braveheart

Has he been picked up by ondon Welsh or Wasps? Make up your mind! Wink

Good signing for Wasps though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:33 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:In all today's excitement, I nearly missed this - Hugo Southwell has been picked up by London Welsh: Southwell to Wasps - probably not a bad place for him to be, expect that he will get some decent gametime there OK

Braveheart
Make your mind up. London Welsh or London Wasps. 🤦

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:35 pm

Good spot Asbo.

This must have been something to do with Robbo's comment that not going to the RWC would help him find a club.

Big Dai must have told him, get fit and do a pre-season with us and I'll give you a 2 year contract.

Glad for him. Must have been gutted to miss the RWC.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

Thomond wrote:

Braveheart

Has he been picked up by ondon Welsh or Wasps? Make up your mind! Wink

Good signing for Wasps though.
Thom, dual registered?! Nah, thanks for spotting the deliberate mistake tho - will correct now!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:37 pm

Good replacement for MVG for Wycombe Wasps. Anyone got a full list of their signings this off season? Judging by last year Wasps may be hoping Southwell can have a chat to some of the tight five players he knows at Stade see if any of them fancy a reduced wage packet and a chance to play in the AP.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:38 pm

Very good deal for all concerned. At club level Southwell is a very solid and occasionally brilliant full back. His latter international performances were poor but not a reflection on his true abilities or potential. I'm pleased this signing has happened.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 03 Aug 2011, 6:16 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Very good deal for all concerned. At club level Southwell is a very solid and occasionally brilliant full back. His latter international performances were poor but not a reflection on his true abilities or potential. I'm pleased this signing has happened.

hes in the twilight of his career, i couldnt care less about his "potential" the fact is, southwell rarely delivered for scotland, and lived off this "big left boot" tag. Sure he could slice it a mile into touch on the full, but he always kicked when he shouldve ran and ran when he shouldve kicked.

Im sorry, I may come across as harsh, but i do not see anything in him.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 6:20 pm

Must be pretty gutting for Jack Wallace. He's waited a couple of years for Van Ginsberg to urine off, now he has another 'experienced' player parachuted in front of him.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 03 Aug 2011, 7:38 pm

Cumbrian - I don't think MVG was ever Wallace's problem.

He has only ever played 2 full Premiership games, 1 ten minute cameo and another stint as a sub.

4 appearances ever. This was a smart call.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 03 Aug 2011, 7:53 pm

Very Happy Thank God - I was horrified that Sean Lineen was going to sign the dud ! Very Happy
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 8:33 pm

red_stag wrote:Cumbrian - I don't think MVG was ever Wallace's problem.

He has only ever played 2 full Premiership games, 1 ten minute cameo and another stint as a sub.

4 appearances ever. This was a smart call.

Perhaps so, gut reaction was that Wasps are bringing in a past it journey man that could potentially block a young English player getting game time, but I hadn't actually realised how light on fullback cover Wasps are/were.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:33 am

I thought that was a slur with regards London Welsh (like the Saffacens) due to Dai Young and Paul Turner at the helm.

May well be a good signing for both club and player, providing that his injury isn't too bad. He done well for Stade, and covered a fair few shirts in his time there too. Also it is possible that his time with the international side may have come to and end, so he could well be an all year long player.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:26 am

Imperialbigdave wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Very good deal for all concerned. At club level Southwell is a very solid and occasionally brilliant full back. His latter international performances were poor but not a reflection on his true abilities or potential. I'm pleased this signing has happened.

hes in the twilight of his career, i couldnt care less about his "potential" the fact is, southwell rarely delivered for scotland, and lived off this "big left boot" tag. Sure he could slice it a mile into touch on the full, but he always kicked when he shouldve ran and ran when he shouldve kicked.

Im sorry, I may come across as harsh, but i do not see anything in him.

As I said, he fell short at international level, but Stade and Edinburgh fans can vouch for this guys abilities at club level. I used the term "potential" in the sense that for Scotland he rarely played to his potential, rather than suggesting that he'll develop as a player.

I think Wasps will be pleased with Southwell.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down