The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland ring the changes to Face Ireland

+23
Pot Hale
doctor_grey
Dorothy_Mantooth
Jenifer McLadyboy
maestegmafia
Kingshu
Thomond
Artful_Dodger
MBTGOG
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
GLove39
Notch
Boston Exile
Manky-Flanker
RDW
DaDubs1
red_stag
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
rodders
R!skysports
RuggerRadge2611
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scotland ring the changes to Face Ireland Empty Scotland ring the changes to Face Ireland

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:16 am

Scotsman Article

So from the above article it seems Robinson is resting Kelly Brown, Mike Blair, Chris Cusiter, Euan Murray and Nathan Hines for this weekend's clash with Ireland.

Under those circumstances what do we think the XXII will look like for Ireland and what tactics could be employed to beat them.

As noted in the article the backrow is the area that is giving Robinson a headache but he has also eluded to NDL and Morrison training well for the centre berth.

I think this weekend will see a XXII something like this.

1. Jacobsen
2. Ford
3. Cross
4. Gray
5. Kellock (C)
6. Harley
7. Barclay
8. Denton

9. Laidlaw
10. Jackson
11. Danielli
12. S. Lamont
13. Ansbro
14. R. Lamont
15. Mossy

Dickinson, S Lawson, Hamilton, Beattie, R Lawson, Morrison, Cuthbert

I think this gives us a good mix of some of our newer players and some of the more experienced guys. it will also give AR a chance to check if Beattie is fit enough to be back in the 1st XV without the pressure of a Starting position.

It will also give Denton and Harley a chance to test themselves against Irelands Wrecking ball backrow combo of Ferris and SOB if Kidney decides to play them. What you guys think?

Edit, KRD - just combining some of the Scotland vs Ireland threads.
Actual team as named:

15 Chris Paterson (Edinburgh)
14 Nikki Walker (Ospreys)
13 Joe Ansbro (London Irish)
12 Graeme Morrison (Glasgow Warriors)
11 Sean Lamont (Scarlets)
10 Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors)
9 Rory Lawson (Gloucester) (C)

1 Allan Jacobsen (Edinburgh)
2 Ross Ford (Edinburgh)
3 Geoff Cross (Edinburgh)
4 Jim Hamilton (Gloucester)
5 Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors)
6 Alasdair Strokosch (Gloucester)
8 Johnnie Beattie (Glasgow Warriors)
7 Ross Rennie (Edinburgh)

Substitutes

16 Dougie Hall (Glasgow Warriors)
17 Alasdair Dickinson (Sale Sharks)
18 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors)
19 David Denton (Edinburgh)
20 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh)
21 Nick De Luca (Edinburgh)
22 Jack Cuthbert (Bath)

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Scotland ring the changes to Face Ireland Empty Re: Scotland ring the changes to Face Ireland

Post by R!skysports Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:29 am

Not sure I would rest Murray, Blair or Cusiter unless they still have injuries.

We suffer from starting very slow, so getting these players (who have to prove themselves) into match conditions would be positive.

I think he may sart with Morrison at 12 though - he seems to like him

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Scotland ring the changes to Face Ireland Empty Re: Scotland ring the changes to Face Ireland

Post by rodders Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:32 am

I think it would be stating the obvious to say that scotland will target our set piece, particulary the lineout where they will have a significant height advantage. If Scotland can dominate here and disrupt irelands supply then then they could definitely win this one.

However if Ireland can get a decent platform up front and generate quick ball then I think they may have a bit too much firepower and creativity out wide. Irelands defense in normally very strong and I think Scotland may struggle to break it down.

This should be an interesting contest though as Ireland tend to be a bit rusty for the 1st couple of games after a break and a Scotland victory wouldn't be a surprise at all.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:37 am

Saw the article, Radge, it made encouraging reading, I thought.

I suspect that your XXII isn't far off. Allowing for those that the author suggests won't play and the five that were rested and will play, just looking at the different units, here are my thoughts:

Front row: I'd be looking to give gametime to Jacobsen, Ford, Cross and Low; tbh we all know what we'll get from Dickinson, so I'm not sure I'd bother with him for this one

Second row: with Hines absent, it kind of picks itself, I expect we'll see all 3 of Gray, Kellock and Hamilton get a run out

Back row: it sounds like Robbo wants to give the youngsters (Denton, Harley & Rennie) a chance, we know that Barclay will play, and I'd imagine he'd want to see whether Beattie has got his mojo back asap

Outhalves: Laidlaw and Lawson by default will both make an appearance, with Jackson certain to be at flyhalf, the only question being whether you go with the makeshift cover of Paterson/Laidlaw or play Parks; personally, again we know what we'll get from Parks, so why not try the other option(s)?

Centres: we have to be looking for our best combination in the centre, so give Lamont/Ansbro another shot, and I'd want to see De Luca/Ansbro and Morrison/Ansbro at some point too (altho if restricted to a XXII, we may not see all three pairings)

Back 3: Danielli sounds like he's got his mojo back, I'd love to see how Rory Lamont looks, and Cuthbert must be given a shot at full back; we'll learn nothing from playing Walker, but I might be inclined to give wee Max Evans a run, as long as he's not too distracted

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:45 am

roddersm wrote:I think it would be stating the obvious to say that scotland will target our set piece, particulary the lineout where they will have a significant height advantage. If Scotland can dominate here and disrupt irelands supply then then they could definitely win this one.

However if Ireland can get a decent platform up front and generate quick ball then I think they may have a bit too much firepower and creativity out wide. Irelands defense in normally very strong and I think Scotland may struggle to break it down.

This should be an interesting contest though as Ireland tend to be a bit rusty for the 1st couple of games after a break and a Scotland victory wouldn't be a surprise at all.

rodders, possibly we will target the set-piece, but Ireland's scrum is nowhere near as weak as it was and the state of refereeing is such that it can be difficult to gain that much advantge thru dominance, and the Irish lineout doesn't give away that much in height (6'6" & 6'6" for POC & DOC vs 6'8" & 6'7" for RG/JH & AK) and has been a source of strength when injury free, so I'm not expecting to see one-sided set-pieces.

I imagine that whoever starts at scrum-half for Ireland will receive some attention and likewise whoever fills the 12 shirt in GD'A's absence.

On a positive note tho, I'd like to see us playing the fast, quick ball rucking game that Scotland are renowned for, breaking things up and not letting Ireland establish a pattern - looking forward to the RWC, we're not likely to outmuscle England, Argentina or Georgia, so we're going to need an alternative plan, which I think will focus on the breakdown, using the speed of our backrow as a major strength

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:54 am

If I felt like really rolling the Dice I would have perhaps went for Harley, Rennie and Denton in the backrow but I just think that would be too bold a move and a Test Veteran is needed to steady the backrow, Barclay fills that role pretty well.

Does anyone else think Barclay is in with a chance of captaining Scotland?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:59 am

I'd have said so, yes definitely - he did a good job filling in for Kellock at Glasgow, holding together a very young and inexperienced side

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:05 am

Is Kellock really that good? Surely Hines and Grey would offer more. I also really like Hamilton. For me Kellock is a bit down the list.

Or is this just for warm ups?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:09 am

I think Kellock is a very good player, perhaps not quite the right complement for big Richie (Wagga is probably a better fit), and Hamilton is much-improved from his Leicester and Edinburgh days, where he struck me as a lazy player - I think we're blessed in the boiler-room to have 4 very strong lock candidates

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:11 am

Depsite a dreadful domestic set up, the Scots really have a pretty solid international team. Front row is a bit lacking but then again who are the Irish to criticise front rows. Get yourself any sort of creativity at 10-12 and the team has few real weaknesses. OK

Lock, Backrow, Scrumhalf and Wingers are all very very strong.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:15 am

Kellock is a chopper, he made an Insane ammount of tackles in the 6N and does a brilliant job in the line out. I think Kellock is actually Scotland's most under rated player. However in Scotland's boiler room it is hard to stand out with competition from the likes of Hamilton, Hines and Gray.

I have always thought Barclay would be the next in a long line of Scottish Flankers who fill the captian role. I would not be surprised to see him given the captaincy for the world cup.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

Agree on Barclay. Superb player.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by DaDubs1 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:03 am

It'll be interesting to see how Ireland cope out there. In the six nations our set pieces, with the exception of the scrum at times had seven shades beaten out of us up in murrayfield.

It'll be worthwile to see just how much of an impact POC makes. Jesus im so worried he's going to get injured up there.

DaDubs1

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:11 am

It's an international test match and I think it is unlikely with the Volume of warm up games the NH teams are having that any team will make it through without Injuries.

Although it will be of no benefit to any team or the NH style of rugby if the NH teams smash each other to bits in these test matches. I do think Injuries will be inevitable.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:26 am

I agree. It is important that we take this seriously and get our selves up and playing top level competitative rugby, otherwsie we could find oursleves starting cold - injuries are something just to hope against

Barclay as captain - might be worth considering, as long as it does not stiffle him, as the captaincy seems to have done to a few others in the past.

The article seems to say AR is now happy where our scrum is - I hope that is correct, otherwise we will have a tough time over there - think the scrum going backwards was one of the key factors in how the 6 nations played out.

Get that right and confidence goes up, and the team starts to get a swagger

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:32 am

Interesting footage of Scotland's preparations, including an historic shot of a Dan Parks successful tackle: Scotland readying for RWC

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 01 Aug 2011, 12:12 pm

[quote="AsLongAsBut100ofUs"], including an historic shot of a Dan Parks successful tackle: Scotland readying for RWC

quote]

Think that was CGI

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

I saw that video and there was a random guy with a shaved head and moustache - took me ages to work out who it was but finally realised it was Euan Murray!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm

Euan Murray? I thought it was Cross

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:38 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I saw that video and there was a random guy with a shaved head and moustache - took me ages to work out who it was but finally realised it was Euan Murray!

I thought it was Stroks?!

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

Ooh maybe it was....it was only brief shots of him. Either way it is quite a radical new look for either of them!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

Defo wasn't Stroks - you see him when he smashes someone in a tackle. Plus the guy with the tash is a bit more round!

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

I'm away back to look again! Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:42 pm

Pause it at 3.40.

Still think its Cross.. Smile

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:44 pm

Actually - that is Geoff Cross! Definitnely not Stroks!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:48 pm

Defo Stroks at 2.14, Geoff Cross is at the back of the queue at 2.47? Two baldy-moustachioed players?

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:50 pm

3.40 - could it be Fordy?

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

No way....has to be Cross!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:10 pm

Simple philosophy. Ireland have a very strong back 5, not so strong front row (although improving again), and generally very good backs, if they play their best 22. They probably won't put their best backs out against us as I think they will feel confident to play 2 or 3 "maybe" candidates. Up-front they may be nearer a first choice 8 but even there I think they'll experiment a little (they have several further games to get it right).

Conversely Italy will probably experiment less, we know they have a strong tight 5 (only weakness lineout), a very strong backrow, but the backs, although improving every season, still not on the same level as the forwards.

So with that in mind I'd start with Grant and a reserve hooker along with maybe Cross. 2nd row would be Hamilton and Kellock. Back row I agree with the comments above, let Harley and Denton play alongside Barclay. In the backs I'd go with Lawson, Jackson, Danielli, Lamont, Ansbro, Evans and Cuthbert.

For the Italy game I'd have in the 22 Jacobsen, Ford, Murray, Hines, Gray, Brown, Beattie, Rennie, Strokosch, Cusiter, Morrison, Cairns, De Luca, Walker and CP.

Underpinning all of this is the assumption that AR is finalising the squad and getting combinations tried out. If AR says he has his 22 and just wants to give them match sharpness then delete all the above and it'll be a different 22.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

When is the cut off for announcing final squads? It really is a fine line between getting your first choice players match fit and letting the fringe players try to stake their claim.

I don't think he'll do anything radical selction wise - keep the first choice team with 3 or 4 fringe players in the 22 to have give them a chance.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:14 pm

I think Kellock is brilliant tbh. Massive fan of his.

He should start and be Captain regardless of anything else.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:16 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:When is the cut off for announcing final squads? It really is a fine line between getting your first choice players match fit and letting the fringe players try to stake their claim.

I don't think he'll do anything radical selction wise - keep the first choice team with 3 or 4 fringe players in the 22 to have give them a chance.

22nd Aug, 2 days after the Italy game OK

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:22 pm

So do we think AR will give some of the fringe players a go this weekend from the start or bring them on as Subs?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:39 pm

Big thing for the Ireland game will be defence. In the 6 nations, I really felt we should have snatched victory. 3 points between us, and disappointingly 3 tries conceded. And the less said about the defence for O'Gara's try the better
🤦

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:06 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:As noted in the article the backrow is the area that is giving Robinson a headache but he has also eluded to NDL and Morrison training well for the centre berth.

Oh please no. I would poke a nuns eyes out if it guaranteed these two would never play for Scotland together or on their own.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:33 pm

GLove39 wrote:Big thing for the Ireland game will be defence. In the 6 nations, I really felt we should have snatched victory. 3 points between us, and disappointingly 3 tries conceded. And the less said about the defence for O'Gara's try the better
🤦

The other way of looking at it is Ireland gave you soft penalty after soft penalty.

In the end softly conceded tries lost out to softly conceded penalties. A poor game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:40 pm

It was a rubbish game, especialy compared to the 2009 and 2010 games that were of pretty high quality and tense to the end.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:52 pm

Ideally we'd see a repeat of the 2007 world cup warm test against Ireland.
A great match, 6 tries scored. Amazingly 4 of them coming from Scotland, including a Henderson hat-trick. Those were the days...

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:11 pm

GLove39 wrote:, including a Henderson hat-trick.

You lie - that was CGI

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:15 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:As noted in the article the backrow is the area that is giving Robinson a headache but he has also eluded to NDL and Morrison training well for the centre berth.

Oh please no. I would poke a nuns eyes out if it guaranteed these two would never play for Scotland together or on their own.

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Imperial - I am trying to think of a way in which I could agree more, but it's not coming to me.

Surely for the love of feck De Lukewarm is about a close to a Scotland shirt as I am.

1. Morrison needs game time badly and should play a full 40 at least.

2. Harley and Denton have to make a name for themselves in this match. Ferris, Heaslip and O'Brien should be a tough proposition but they can handle them if they play to their potential. Time for the babies to arise at international level. I'm fed up reading about their potential - both of these guys are good enough to start setting out their store in internationals.

3. Please can the beast that is Johnny Beattie come forth again and once more go on those runs where he squishes nine opposing players on the way to the try line.

4. See 3., except with reference to Euan Murray.

5. If there is indeed a new and improved (i.e. less average) Danielli then I would be delighted to see him. But I have my doubts.

6. Please can we keep Rory Lamont on the pitch to demonstrate what a class act he is and how much more genuinely exciting a strike runner he is than just about anyone else able to wear 11 or 14.

7. Would love to see Laidlaw start - the most underrated half back we have.

8. Stroker needs some game time too - my World Cup nightmare is Kelly Brown getting biffed by most of Georgia.

9. I'm going to be very interested to see who Ireland risk playing. Surely they don't need to see POC and Jamie Heaslip on the field any more?

10. I'm not hearing more confidence from Ireland fans, which surprises me.

Notch - what are your thoughts?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 01 Aug 2011, 6:19 pm

Ireland have three warm-up games rather than the two we have, so I think most Irish fans expect their side to be more experimental than ours, thus they are not as confident as usual.

A couple of things I think will influence selection:

1. Our tight head selection, and therefore our front row combination, is unsettled, and given that Cross is the man in possession from the 6 Nations, I think he'll start with Ford and Jacobsen. Robinson needs to get that combination sorted.

2. Both Denton and Beattie need game time for different reasons. Denton to prove himself, and Beattie to prove he's fit. I think they'll get close to a half each. Barclay will start, and I think Harley will get the 6 jersey to prove himself. Brown and Strokosch both played well at the end of the season, and both played in the playoffs, so I think Robinson will be content to rest both, knowing what they offer.

3. Cusiter and Jackson need to play together for Scotland, so both will start.

4. Sean Lamont needs more time at 12, but Morrison needs to show he's fit, so rather like Denton and Beattie, I think both will get time.

Beyond that, I don't mind so much (second row and back three should be strong regardless), provided Dougie Hall's name isn't in the squad.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 01 Aug 2011, 7:06 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote: Morrison needs to show he's fit

I wish he didnt, I wish he would stevewalsh off and stop slowing up our backline.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:25 pm

"3. Cusiter and Jackson need to play together for Scotland, so both will start."

Cusiter is being rested apparently, so no chance there unfortunately

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 02 Aug 2011, 6:04 am

Good point, Manky - I understand resting Blair (injury) and Hines & Brown (big games at the end of last season), but why Murray (played the second half of the season only) & Cusiter (has only had 6 competitive outings in over a year so is presumably v short of game-time)?

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:35 am

Resting Cusiter is odd. He went to Australia of his own volition as he himself felt he was short of game time. Surely Cusiter would be one of the first people AR would want to test in these warm-ups?

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:51 am

The Scotsman articles doesn't make it clear why Cusiter "definitely won't play". He's clearly not in the bracket of "overplayed", and if he has an injury, he must be a massive doubt for the World Cup given the season he's had.

If Blair and Cusiter are both injured, Laidlaw must be a certainty to travel. We can't risk Lawson being the only fit scrum half in the squad.

On the point about Morrison, he's by some distance our next best option at 12 after Sean Lamont, so I don't see why people have such an issue. He should go to the World Cup on merit - anyone have any better ideas? I just hope he's fit enough to reproduce the form he was showing at the end of last season, which was pretty good.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:57 am

I have never been Morrison's biggest fan, I'll admit to that. However how we managed to muddle through the 6N without getting completely embarrased was somewhat of a miracle. Sean Lamont did a sterling job but we really missed Morrison in the 6N.

He may be a bit of a crash ball merchant but he does create some gaps and gain some hard yards.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Scotland ring the changes to Face Ireland Empty Scotland ring the changes to Face Ireland

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 11:17 am

SRU WEBSITE

15 Chris Paterson (Edinburgh)
14 Nikki Walker (Ospreys)
13 Joe Ansbro (London Irish)
12 Graeme Morrison (Glasgow Warriors)
11 Sean Lamont (Scarlets)
10 Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors)
9 Rory Lawson (Gloucester) (C)

1 Allan Jacobsen (Edinburgh)
2 Ross Ford (Edinburgh)
3 Geoff Cross (Edinburgh)
4 Jim Hamilton (Gloucester)
5 Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors)
6 Alasdair Strokosch (Gloucester)
8 Johnnie Beattie (Glasgow Warriors)
7 Ross Rennie (Edinburgh)

Substitutes

16 Dougie Hall (Glasgow Warriors)
17 Alasdair Dickinson (Sale Sharks)
18 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors)
19 David Denton (Edinburgh)
20 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh)
21 Nick De Luca (Edinburgh)
22 Jack Cuthbert (Bath)

So.... where to begin.

Front row : as expected I think.
Lock : Gray's athleticism and Hamilton's grunt.
Backrow : Rennie getting the nod at 7 is a bit surprising considering Barclay was rested. Nice to see Strok back in the navy blue though. Beattie at the tail to prove fitness and form.

Scrum Half / Fly Half : As expected, Cusiter being left at home is now a distinct possibility.
Centres : Morrison and Ansbro, only fair they get a shot.
Back 3 : Nikki Walker steam , S Lamont and Paterson, probably expected with Morrison's return to the centre. But seriously though.... Nikki Walker! We know what he can do! He has done very little to merit a start in one of these matches.

As for the becnh Hall over Lawson? Really? Another intersting omision is desperate Dan, perhaps Robbo thinks Laidlaw is good enough to cover both scrum half and fly half. Good to see Denton and Cuthbert included too.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Tue 02 Aug 2011, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 02 Aug 2011, 11:26 am

Interesting line up. Going to be a tough game though I have to say I'm glad Lamont has moved back out to the wings. Think he is much more dangerous in midfield.

Backrow looks good with a nice balance but I don't think they've played with each other before so will be interesting to see how they play with each other.

First choice front row. Looking forward to seeing how the front row we choose does against this trio.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 02 Aug 2011, 11:26 am

How many first choice players would you say are in that team?

Looks reasonably good to me, will be interesting to see how that backrow goes but then we dont know what Irelands will be yet.

How could Cusiter not be going to the WC by the way....

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next