The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Fish

+6
wales606
Turkster
Draigoch
Knowsit17
nottins_jones
welsh-matfield
10 posters

Go down

Dan Fish Empty Dan Fish

Post by welsh-matfield Sat 30 Jul 2011, 5:00 pm

this cardiff product is highly thought of down at the Blues and impressed immensely in the wales under 20's team last year. Does anyone on 606 v2 think hes the real deal and future international or an over hyped wannaby?

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Dan Fish Empty Re: Dan Fish

Post by nottins_jones Sat 30 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

Over-hyped by Blues fans. Looks nothing like the real deal yet. I hope and pray Ben Blair is ready to play again.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 30 Jul 2011, 5:16 pm

welsh-matfield wrote:Does anyone on 606 v2 think hes the real deal and future international or an over hyped wannaby?

Many people will probably class him as the latter the second it becomes clear that he can't shift planets. In truth, if he is overhyped its likely to be because of the fans and not himself.

Dare I question your logic in asking such a black and white question so soon about a player who has participated in less than a season's worth pro rugby?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sat 30 Jul 2011, 5:17 pm

Looks a real prospect at full-back, will hopefully get a chance to claim the XV shirt for the Blues next season. Give it a few seasons and then we can talk about caps...

I'm looking forward to Martyn Thomas, Dan Fish, Tom Prydie, Steffan Jones, Dan Evans and maybe Newton getting a chance to shine. Maybe Wales will have an answer to our full-back problem soon!

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat 30 Jul 2011, 5:27 pm

nottins_jones wrote:Over-hyped by Blues fans. Looks nothing like the real deal yet. I hope and pray Ben Blair is ready to play again.

I read something about Ben Blair taking the Blues to court because they'd invoked a clause in his contract where they can release him for being injured for so long, doesn't look like he'll be back.

Dan Fish seems to be another Stoddard in that he's great going forward but has the defensive capability of a 5 year old, can't see him making it for Wales.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 30 Jul 2011, 5:30 pm

All the signs suggest that Blair has been released by the Blues

Fish is a good player, but he is only in his 2nd season of rugby and will need more gametime to improve

His tactical kicking is decent, but he hasnt had an opportunity to show off his excellent counter attacking ability (that he did for the U20s) due to the Blues poor performances last season (he was probably encouraged to play more conservatively in his first few games) but that will change if he ousts Czechaj this season (which I think he will)

He is only about 21 so I dont think you can count him out just yet...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat 30 Jul 2011, 5:33 pm

true enough, just looks a bit light on the defensive side of things.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sat 30 Jul 2011, 5:47 pm

How can they treat Blair in such a manner after all the dedication he's given Cardiff Blues? Disgusting.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 30 Jul 2011, 5:51 pm

Yep I must admit that I was surprised to read that about Blair. He's been one of Blues consistently decent performers over the last few seasons and gets dropped like a hot rock as soon as he's out. poor show
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 30 Jul 2011, 6:55 pm

He was out for the entire season, it is not normal for the Blues to act this way with player, but I think the budget cuts have forced them into a corner.

However, I hope that an agreement is made and Blair plays for us next season (from what i hear he is fit again, but may seek a new club) - IMO he is one of the best fullbacks in the world and his goal kicking is invaluble especially as we could then replace Parks.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:33 pm

Why does he have to be either a future international or else an over hyped wannabie?

Can he not just be a very good regional player who isn't as good as some other options. Every country has these guys. You need them for league campaigns like the Pro 12.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:50 pm

Looks ordinary at regional level.He is young and could improve.Clearly he is a good player and hopefully he will progress.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:12 am

red_stag wrote:Why does he have to be either a future international or else an over hyped wannabie?

Can he not just be a very good regional player who isn't as good as some other options. Every country has these guys. You need them for league campaigns like the Pro 12.
Well said.

One of the most pertinent points about young player development in modern Welsh Rugby is that we deem all young talent to be focused on the national cause. True to an extent, but it has never been the case in Wales or anywhere else that all youth successes become great internationals, in fact i think very few do. This isn't a problem, their role should they not make the upper echelons of the game is to be great club players to increase the competitivness of the league.

As we all stipulated time and again this year we need a stronger premiership, we need a decent Under 20s, we would love to see our A Team reinstalled, we want to see the pool of players, the strength and the depth increase.

Wales are short on depth of fullbacks and have been for a while, something many see as something that Gatland has neglected woefully during his tenure. But it is good to see young talent given a chance. Especially at the expense of a foreign player who spends far too long with injury.

Ben Blair was a great player in his day, but Wales and in particular the Blues need to be less reliant on the exceptional talents of a few gifted former All Blacks and do more to encourage and develop young Welsh talent.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 31 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

ummm....hear hear?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun 31 Jul 2011, 5:31 pm

Well put maesteg!

Draigoch