The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England 'Trial Match' and Courtney Lawes injury

+3
robbo277
Cumbrian
Meflanker
7 posters

Go down

England 'Trial Match' and Courtney Lawes injury Empty England 'Trial Match' and Courtney Lawes injury

Post by Meflanker Thu 28 Jul 2011, 7:19 pm

England manager Martin Johnson breathed a sigh of relief after second-row Courtney Lawes was cleared of a serious neck injury on Thursday evening.

The Northampton lock had given Johnson a scare less than six weeks before the World Cup when he was stretchered from the field with his neck in a brace during a behind-closed-doors trial match. Lawes was given oxygen and transferred by ambulance to Charing Cross Hospital, where he underwent precautionary scans on suspected soft tissue damage. The 22-year-old was discharged tonight and will undergo further assessment by the England medical team when the squad gather back at Pennyhill Park on Sunday evening.

Saracens wing David Strettle was also carried off, having suffered an apparent leg injury in the first period of a full-contact match at The Stoop, played in two 20-minutes halves. Johnson mixed the teams up - there was no distinct A and B team - but there was one notable absentee in Mike Tindall, who is getting married on Saturday.

Leicester No.8 Thomas Waldrom is carrying a calf problem and also played no part but Manu Tuilagi showed glimpses of his growing promise at outside centre. Jonny Wilkinson also made an impact after coming on, helping create a try for Mark Cueto early in the second period as the team in white won 11-10. Tuilagi and Tom Croft scored for the black team.

"It was a good end to the week and the boys enjoyed having a run out in a different environment," said Johnson. "Inevitably it was competitive and you wouldn't have it any other way. But to be honest the whole training camp has had that edge that you want from a group of players vying for 30 spots."

Johnson is understood to be cutting six players from his 45-man squad this weekend ahead of England's first World Cup warm-up match, against Wales at Twickenham on August 6. England then play Wales away before Johnson has to finalise his 30-man World Cup squad on August 22.

"Johnson will have a very good idea of what his squad is - probably all 30 players," former England captain Lawrence Dallaglio said. "The squad will be made up mostly of what we have seen in the Six Nations. It is a big call to take players to the World Cup with limited or no experience. There are going to be some tough calls and there are at every World Cup. Graham Rowntree, Simon Shaw and Austin Healey being left out in 2003 and James Haskell being left out of the 2007 World Cup."

England's final warm-up match is against Ireland in Dublin on August 27. England open their World Cup campaign against Argentina on September 10.

http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/story/145058.html?addata=chromium

Sounds like Tuilagi and Wilko impressed, glad Lawe's injury wasn't as serious as it first appeared.

Thoughts?

Meflanker

Back to top Go down

England 'Trial Match' and Courtney Lawes injury Empty Re: England 'Trial Match' and Courtney Lawes injury

Post by Cumbrian Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:07 pm

Jeez, those contact sessions must be pretty ferocious, it's heart in mouth time for those lads that go down with a tweak. Sounds like Lawes should be fine, would like to hear a bit more about Strettle.

It seems bloody typical that the only team Cueto can score against in England! I'm glad to hear that Tuilagi and Wilkinson are looking good in training. Perhaps the former really could be a bolter.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

England 'Trial Match' and Courtney Lawes injury Empty Re: England 'Trial Match' and Courtney Lawes injury

Post by robbo277 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:14 pm

Hopefully Lawes and Strettle recover. I have no problem with them playing a full-on (albeit only 20 mins each way) "match", we can't wrap these players in cotton wool before the World Cup.

I think it's right that a few players get cut before the Wales test, my only question would be is 6 enough? 39 is a big squad for just 3 matches, especially as they are spread out nicely. I would probably look to cut around 10 players, so we can really focus on a tight-knit group, but that's just my perspective.

Will agree that it is good to hear that Manu had a decent run-out, and I hope and believe that he won't be one of the six to get the chop, as I think he can really add something to this England squad, even if he is far from the complete player.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:17 pm

There is bound to be an injury or two which keeps good players out of the WC - I certainly hope Lawes isn't one of those injuries. Personally I doubt Strettle will make the final cut, but I also hope he gets the chance to compete.

I think Tuilagi will stay in the squad, and will be the 13 in the 6 Nations.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:17 pm

Also makes you realise how important Lawes is for us nowadays

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:20 pm

I guess these contact sessions have to be tough but, do they realy have to be that tough that players get njured in them?

They have been training hare in poland or where ever it was they have been, then to come home and get injured just before the first warm up game starts.

Hope Lawes, and Strettle are ok before the start of the RWC.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:23 pm

Oh, Strettle wouldn't make my final 30, even if we had 1 or 2 injuries to first choice players, but it's never nice to hear about a player being carried off.

I've seen players get injured in warm-ups before, guys who haven't even been carrying knocks. I'd rather the players had a tough work-out here and got up to full match fitness, rather than going into the first warm-up game under done. We are preparing for full test matches, they have to have some proper build-up.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:24 pm

I agree they really can't be wrapped up in cotton wool, we don't want the players going in undercooked... Still, it's worrying because you just know somebody is going to be injured, it's just a a question of who and how badly.

RE: the cutting of the squad, I see no problem in keeping a few more players on board for the warm-ups, give them a chance to prove themselves on that stage.

Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Meflanker Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:31 pm

I definitely think it can only be good for the players in the long run to have a trial game like this, how else can the coaches see what combinations might work without any consequences (as in losing a test match, and therefore momentum)

I for one really think Manu should be on the plane to NZ as I think he has so much to offer to this England team!

Meflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Uberlord Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm

Any updates on Lawes?

Rugby Uberlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down