The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone but Wales (or England, Scotland, Ireland, NZ, Oz, Saffer etc. etc)

+17
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Boyne
beshocked
Effervescing Elephant
Biltong
Luckless Pedestrian
RuggerRadge2611
welshjohn369
Patron
TheGreyGhost
greybeard
mckay1402
Notch
OzT
Rugby_Assessor
red_stag
Portnoy
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyone but Wales (or England, Scotland, Ireland, NZ, Oz, Saffer etc. etc) Empty Anyone but Wales (or England, Scotland, Ireland, NZ, Oz, Saffer etc. etc)

Post by Portnoy Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Well I'm not a card-carrying member of the ABW brigade, but I have to admit to being sympathetic - a camp follower.

Blame my youth. As I was growing up, it was always the bleedin' Welsh clubs and sides that constantly peed on my parade. That wouldn't have mattered so much until I had to suffer the frequent jibes from Welsh work colleagues (being English, they had to seek me out out as the minority rugby fan). Plus in those days they used to boo the National Anthem and so I caught the ABx bug. But thankfully a mild strain. But once infected, I'm not sure that there's an antidote.

Curiously however I am usually accused of being Anti-Irish (a country I love, but talk straight about). I've also been accused of being anti-Scots and anti-English.

It's not that I don't like Wales. But there's a worm in my brain that just makes me want to support the opposition.

Except if they are playing Australia -in which case I am totally neutral (but my second love is cricket)...

Last edited by Portnoy on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Anyone but Wales (or England, Scotland, Ireland, NZ, Oz, Saffer etc. etc) Empty Re: Anyone but Wales (or England, Scotland, Ireland, NZ, Oz, Saffer etc. etc)

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Oh god Portnoy you KNOW this is just gonna antagonise Doh
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone but Wales (or England, Scotland, Ireland, NZ, Oz, Saffer etc. etc) Empty Re: Anyone but Wales (or England, Scotland, Ireland, NZ, Oz, Saffer etc. etc)

Post by Portnoy Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:23 pm

red_stag wrote:Oh god Portnoy you KNOW this is just gonna antagonise Doh

I can't help it Stag-boy.

It was me brain wot made me say it.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby_Assessor Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:23 pm

I remember when I was younger I used to hope that Ireland wouldn't win because I would get such a slagging in school about it (I was English going to school in Ireland) but I've since grown out of that.

Nowadays though, I just sometimes hope that NZ don't win... just because they nearly always seem to win AND because it annoys me when they blatantly cheat and the breakdown and the ref never picks up on it.

Rugby_Assessor

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:30 pm

"Except if they are playing Australia"...

and wotz wrong with the ozzies huh???

Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:34 pm

red_stag wrote:Oh god Portnoy you KNOW this is just gonna antagonise Doh

I wrote an honest response and then deleted it. Better to leave some things unsaid! Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:40 pm

OzT wrote:"Except if they are playing Australia"...

Smile

How long have you got OzT? Wink

You just can't suppress those inner thoughts though can you?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Notch wrote:

I wrote an honest response and then deleted it. Better to leave some things unsaid! Smile

And forever tread on eggshells?

I'm openining up on my own irrational thought processes. Surely that's theraputic isn't it? Cathartic.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:51 pm

Portnoy

fair play to you for admitting it. I think a lot of people on here if they aren't welsh have a secret ABW feeling. I can understand it after the 70's but remember what goes around comes around. one day Wales will be strong again and that bug will eat you up inside...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:11 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Portnoy

fair play to you for admitting it. I think a lot of people on here if they aren't welsh have a secret ABW feeling. I can understand it after the 70's but remember what goes around comes around. one day Wales will be strong again and that bug will eat you up inside...

I can't see that this mild infection will turn into ebola.

And being as I'm now over sixty, I'm confident that I'll survive a Welsh resurgence of global proportions.

:I was joking:
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:20 pm

Portnoy wrote:
Notch wrote:

I'm openining up on my own irrational thought processes. Surely that's theraputic isn't it? Cathartic.

The difference is there's a little voice in my head that (not always, but sometimes) tells me; don't write that because a) everyone will think you are an arshole and b) you might end up offending someone needlessly and provoking an angry debate with people who have an incredible amount in common with you bar the colour of their shirt/flag. And this being rugby, the former outweighs the latter.

So, the eggshells will do for now. Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:23 pm

It's ok. I suffered abuse in your Crumbie Stand with Sheep noises etc. Same as when playing English sides in my youth. I don't hold a grudge though. But good that you remain bitter and twisted.

I don't even know why I bother reading your rants/musings if I'm honest. More fool me.

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:24 pm

Notch wrote:The difference is there's a little voice in my head that (not always, but sometimes) tells me; don't write that because a) everyone will think you are an arshole and b) you might end up offending someone needlessly and provoking an angry debate with people who have an incredible amount in common with you bar the colour of their shirt/flag. And this being rugby, the former outweighs the latter.

Oh my god he's a liberal!

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:41 pm

Notch wrote:
Portnoy wrote:
Notch wrote:

The difference is there's a little voice in my head that (not always, but sometimes) tells me; don't write that because a) everyone will think you are an arshole and b) you might end up offending someone needlessly and provoking an angry debate with people who have an incredible amount in common with you bar the colour of their shirt/flag. And this being rugby, the former outweighs the latter.

Of course it best to botlle up feelings and let them fester. Maybe if your're lucky you can pass it on to your offspring so that it can grow through the decades and centuries.

But if you just explain your irrational standpoint in the here and now - that's bad?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Anybody except England plain and simple

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:10 pm

Portnoy wrote:
Notch wrote:
Portnoy wrote:
Notch wrote:

Of course it best to botlle up feelings and let them fester. Maybe if your're lucky you can pass it on to your offspring so that it can grow through the decades and centuries.

But if you just explain your irrational standpoint in the here and now - that's bad?

There's nothing to pass on to my offspring. I hold no tangible bitterness given its just a game Rolling Eyes
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Bless the Welsh, their lovely singing, their rabid belief that when [player] returns and the coaching staff are all replaced they'll rule the world again like they did in 19 erm 50-something.

Mostly though bless the fact that despite all odds they occasionally get up and knock England over. Hil-ar-ious.

Best of luck against the All Blacks, I mean England.

Wales have always been my second favourite side in Britian, and will continue to be so until I die.

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removal of unnecessary content)

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Patron Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:32 am

Love to watch the All Blacks playing on that rubbish dump called Mil's Stadium. He always plays a cracker there and the Welsh comments boy squeals like a pig every time. The commentary is not helped by an almost total ignorance of the rules by BM and most NH referees.
I also like the AB Irish games where the Irish comments man is wonderfully fair, as is the Scot's one too.
Twickenham is always boring with the boorish behaviour of the crowd. I once went to a game there and Chinese friends were roundly abused for the entire game. I remind them that the Chinese served in the Bleatingish Army during both wars and that tea, a Chinese native, was stolen by the Bleatingish and then gave thanks by selling them opium.

Patron

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:56 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:
Bless the Welsh, their lovely singing, their rabid belief that when [player] returns and the coaching staff are all replaced they'll rule the world again like they did in 19 erm 50-something.

Mostly though bless the fact that despite all odds they occasionally get up and knock England over. Hil-ar-ious.

Wales have always been my second favourite side in Britian, and will continue to be so until I die.

welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:36 am

I really don't like seeing England win. I respect them as a sporting nation and love the banter from the English fans, but still I don't like seeing them win!

I have a lot of family from England and every time England do something of Merit my Facebook / Twitter is lambasted by some of my vocal cousins and uncles who enjoy nothing better than rubbing my nose in it!

For that reason alone I don't like seeing them win!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:17 am

I don't hate the English rugby team - my mum's English and she's alright, like - but I prefer it when they lose. It's not the team or the country, I just don't like the way an English victory magically gets a more prominent place in the sports news than a Welsh or a Scottish win would. When it comes to the English national team - and this applies to football, too - it's as if they forget that they're broadcasting to the United Kingdom.

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:20 am

Notch wrote:
Portnoy wrote:
Notch wrote:

It just means you are a diplomatic soul, nothing wrong with it. angel
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:21 am

Patron wrote:Love to watch the All Blacks playing on that rubbish dump called Mil's Stadium. He always plays a cracker there and the Welsh comments boy squeals like a pig every time. The commentary is not helped by an almost total ignorance of the rules by BM and most NH referees.
I also like the AB Irish games where the Irish comments man is wonderfully fair, as is the Scot's one too.
Twickenham is always boring with the boorish behaviour of the crowd. I once went to a game there and Chinese friends were roundly abused for the entire game. I remind them that the Chinese served in the Bleatingish Army during both wars and that tea, a Chinese native, was stolen by the Bleatingish and then gave thanks by selling them opium.

You seem like a well balanced and fair mindfed chap. Welcome to 606 sir.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:33 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:

Rugbydreamer you edited my post and removed my favourite bit! Could you let me know which bit you found unacceptable so I can reconstruct the sentiment in a manner more amenable to your palette?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 am

A PM explaining is on its way to you GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:08 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:

Rugbydreamer you edited my post and removed my favourite bit! Could you let me know which bit you found unacceptable so I can reconstruct the sentiment in a manner more amenable to your palette?

Surely a man/woman with half an ounce of intelligence could work it out. It was your first paragraph which was a bit wrong, though I didn't complain. If you don't know in yourself what was wrong with it, then you have bigger issues than I thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:18 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:

welshjohn369 wrote:..

I can't think what GreyGhost said to warrant an ammendment when a statement like that deemed ok.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:22 am

I'd missed that, thank you for pointing it out Radge, edited now. If you can use the report button as well to flag up posts like that it would be very helpful to us. Thank you.

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:23 am

Sure no prob dreamer Smile
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:29 am

I think it's quite sweet of the other countries to take such an interest in England even it is just hatred. It shows they care. heart

Thanks guys! Possibly I think there is more to life than the English media but to some maybe not.

Good luck in the world cup guys and have fun. OK

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:36 am

a camp follower.

Hummm Interesting...

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:31 pm

OzT wrote:"Except if they are playing Australia"...

Smile

Do you want a list ? raspberry

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:37 pm

yet more censorship allowing gg to continue his pathetic rantings.

I stick to my comment in asking when? I am sure the world will be a far better place.
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:49 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:

I can't think what GreyGhost said to warrant an ammendment when a statement like that deemed ok.

Nope, still don't get it. We had national coaches calling the Welsh "the village idiots" in various national press publications, I'm not sure how my metaphor was any more offensive than that. Anyway, I accept my censure and move on.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:59 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:

Nope, still don't get it. We had national coaches calling the Welsh "the village idiots" in various national press publications, I'm not sure how my metaphor was any more offensive than that. Anyway, I accept my censure and move on.

You seem to get your jibes in no matter what so you can't be that heavily censored, and just because you seem too brainless to realise it, it was a Kiwi journalist who made 'the village idiots' jibe not 'national coaches' as you describe. Maybe you should get a new act as your 'better than everyone else' act really can't be supported by your intellect. OK

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Of course the rationale unerpinning this debate is the need to explain your own irrational prejudices. Not to just reinforce and repeat them.

I tried to do that in my OP.

I once had a super-downer on South Africa. But that was rational because apartheid was immoral and I despised rugby's repeated stances to undermine the sporting sanctions (so well done NZ on that).

But my irrationality about Wales is just that. Stupid and flawed. I know it. But however,I can't help it. And however much I tell myself that that that it's irrational I can't help myself. It's like a psychosis - mild ABW.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:31 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:

Come on GG it is out of order, some of them live in cities.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:36 pm

I'll try to get into swing of it and embrace the article.

I don't like SA and want them to lose. However this is temporary and relates to the Schalk Burger eye gouge, the conduct of Bakkies Botha and antics of Peter de Villiers.

I have no doubt any ill feeling towards them will ebb away as new players come and go. Indeed I am excited about youngsters Lambie and de Jongh.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rakish Brigand Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Portnoy wrote:Of course the rationale unerpinning this debate is the need to explain your own irrational prejudices. Not to just reinforce and repeat them.

I tried to do that in my OP.

I once had a super-downer on South Africa. But that was rational because apartheid was immoral and I despised rugby's repeated stances to undermine the sporting sanctions (so well done NZ on that).

But my irrationality about Wales is just that. Stupid and flawed. I know it. But however,I can't help it. And however much I tell myself that that that it's irrational I can't help myself. It's like a psychosis - mild ABW.

Portnoy,

I know what you mean. I have from time to time supported England! The 03 final for example. As a Welshman I have to admit to myself that it's utterly irrational to do so, but I guess admitting it is the first step towards recovery.

The Rakish Brigand

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:29 pm

The Rakish Brigand wrote:

Portnoy,

I know what you mean. I have from time to time supported England! The 03 final for example. As a Welshman I have to admit to myself that it's utterly irrational to do so, but I guess admitting it is the first step towards recovery.

If push came to shove Rakish, If it came down to a match between Wales and the All Blacks for the final, I'd be on the horns of a dilemma.

I have so much respect for the ABs. I feel that only one RWC win is a bizarrly feeble recompense for for their contribution to World rugby.

But I also have a feeling for NH teams and the underdogs.

If Wales met the ABs before the final, I'm pretty sure that I'd go for the ABs. But in the final? I really don't know. I'd like to think that it would be Wales. But there is that irrational worm in my brain... Dunno.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rakish Brigand Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Fear not, Portnoy, such a scenario is highly unlikely!

The Rakish Brigand

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:44 pm

The Rakish Brigand wrote:Fear not, Portnoy, such a scenario is highly unlikely!

That is fortunately very true. It'd do my head in.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:55 pm

Things like this can be explained as 'irrational' but are they ?

Anyway, for my English Friends, Swanny, Sharpey, LDCPete, Hound and even Portnoy, who's a good bloke 'in the flesh' as it were Hug It's important you read these carefully -
music
We don't wanna be,
Your enemy,

But when we're on the field,
It's red, white and green,

Got beat by the Irish,
Got beat by the Scots,
The French had a struggle,
But you're the one we want,
We want...

As long as we beat the English,
As long as we beat the English,
As long as we beat the English, we don't care
music

Personally, not in the 'as long as we beat ' brigade'. I'd rather win 5 and lose to England, than lose 5 and beat England. However, the song does strike a chord (see what I did there Wink ) Victory against the old 'oppressor' (NB - attempt at raionalising) is the sweetest, defeat the 'bitterest pill'

PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Sod the sentiments, Stereophonics are one of the worst bands that ever, ever recorded music.

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Each to their own Safe As, each to their own OK
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Ah, sorry Penfro didn't realise you were a big fan.

Yep, you're right though. I guess they're just not my bag.

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:22 pm

SafeAs - yeah, I like their stuff I have to say and like a lot of guitar based stuff. Having said that I'd say I've got a pretty eclectic choice of music from Opera, 'Classical', Rock, Pop, Folk, Rap ...etc, guess I can't pigeon-hole my tastes, just like what I like Erm
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Stereophonics?

Is that a new jazz combo? Wink

I'm pretty sure that pretty much every committed sports fan has an irrational ABx bug - but the degree of its intensity varies.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:26 pm

Good on ya, Penfro. Don't let anyone fence you in OK

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:43 pm

PenfroPete wrote:SafeAs - yeah, I like their stuff I have to say and like a lot of guitar based stuff. Having said that I'd say I've got a pretty eclectic choice of music from Opera, 'Classical', Rock, Pop, Folk, Rap ...etc, guess I can't pigeon-hole my tastes, just like what I like Erm

What's your favourite Opera? and why did you put 'classical' in quotes and nothing else?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next