The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Female fight fans

+12
AlexHuckerby
whotobeA
BALTIMORA
Super D Boon
Steffan
TopHat24/7
Mind the windows Tino.
razzaq
Rowley
Union Cane
eddyfightfan
Scottrf
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Female fight fans Empty Female fight fans

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:46 pm

Afternoon all,

I couldn't help but notice that this boxing board and other similar forums on the net are dominated by male posters.

Most other sports, it would seem, have a considerable female supporting contingent.

Tennis has a huge female following. From my experience I would say at that at least 30% of the fan support in tennis is female. Players such as Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are hugely popular on Facebook and (particularly in the case of Nadal) a lot of their support is drawn from females. Of course it helps that tennis has a whole tour dedicated to female athletes.

Likewise, football has more recently garnered a lot of support from female fans. Women can be seen in abundance at football matches.

Darts and snooker also seem to attract a fair share of female fans.

The same can be said of track and field athletics, equestrian sports, swimming etc.

Boxing seems to be one of the few sports which draws it's fanbase almost exclusively from males (motorsport may be another).

I haven't been to a live boxing event, so my assumptions about lack of female interest may be incorrect.

However, assuming they are correct, I have a few questions to consider:

1) What do you think are the reasons for this?
2) Would boxing benefit from attracting support from the fairer sex? Bearing in mind a potential market of half the world's population.
3) How could boxing draw more support from females?
4) Are there any current or have there been any past boxers who bucked this trend? What were the reasons for this?

Your thoughts are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Female fight fans Empty Re: Female fight fans

Post by Scottrf Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:49 pm

There are no girls on the internet.

Women go to boxing events, get very dressed up for it too. It's quite a masculine sport though.

Oscar De la Hoya had a big female fanbase.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:50 pm

Scott,

I get your last two points,

but 'there are no girls on the internet'?

Not sure about that. Tennis forums are filled with girls and they are just as vociferous as the guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:52 pm

It's a known fact. Any 'female' on the internet is a man pretending to be a woman.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:53 pm

oscar del a hoya would be an exception to that rule

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:53 pm

emancipator wrote:Tennis forums are filled with girls and they are just as vociferous as the guys.

You mean posters who claim to be girls, it is something quite different.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:54 pm

Emancipator, attending a lot of live events have to say it depends very much who is fighting. At the smaller hall shows the audience does tend to be more male, however at a lot of big fights there are a lot of women there. Going back some years Naz fights used to have a very mixed audience and a lot younger audience than the average fight crowd. Just speaking from a personal point of view the sainted Mrs Rowley attends pretty much every fight I go to and not under duress I should add.

Your best person to ask would be onetwo, he was a teenage girl not too long ago.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:56 pm

Women have their place in Sport. For example in cricket matches it is perfectly acceptable for the scorer, tea lady or bar lady to be female. It is a very forward thinking sport in terms of sexual equality.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:58 pm

there is always girls at boxing matches, usually in bikini's holding the round signs

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:59 pm

Any chance we can debate this without turning into sexist oiks, we're better than that surely.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:00 pm

No the females are quite obviously females on the tennis forums.

They have an intense like of their hero that goes beyond the realms of mancrush and they can be b****y as hell.

Besides, they spend a lot of time discussing hair, outfits, and emotional stuff that most of the guys don't even notice.

Of course some the girls could be supposed lesbian fans who are actually guys pretending to be such. Wasn't there something about a lesbian blogger who was really a man on the news recently?

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:01 pm

rowley wrote:Any chance we can debate this without turning into sexist oiks, we're better than that surely.
OOOOOOW, perhaps there are females on boxing forums

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:02 pm

Even here, we have the epic Pauline and her Tyson Fury crush. I refuse to even entertain the notion that it is a man.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:02 pm

Is Coxy female?

He's quite emotional Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:02 pm

all the posters on 606v2 boxing are guys.....except the poster that won the Primetime comp with their first post.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:23 pm

rowley wrote:Any chance we can debate this without turning into sexist oiks, we're better than that surely.

i wouldnt bet the bank on that one rowley.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 7:07 pm

We dont want them old tarts infiltrating out jolly boys sport. On saying that they would be a lot better than the football bunch who tag along and some of them could be on the fit side. Real em' in I reckon randy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 27 Jul 2011, 7:37 pm

Even the unisex sport of tennis has considerably less female posters than male.

It all boils down to the fact women are less likely to waste their time on things such as discussion forums laughing

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 7:54 pm

tennis seem to be able to play tennis to a better standard than women boxers, maybe thats why they like it

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:07 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:all the posters on 606v2 boxing are guys.....except the poster that won the Primetime comp with their first post.......

Was that the one which was posted eleven hours after the closing time?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by whotobeA Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:59 pm

Women dont seem too interested in talking boxing or even watching it on the box, but many of the fights i've been to have had many women at ringside & as mentioned they are usually dressed up (trophy) types.

I know its generalising, stereotyping and borders on "women know your limits" but it seems alot of women like to go see two blokes knock bits off each other rather than discuss records, styles & who might have beat who had they fought?

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:14 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:all the posters on 606v2 boxing are guys.....except the poster that won the Primetime comp with their first post.......

Was that the one which was posted eleven hours after the closing time?
laughing

how'd you guess.....?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:15 pm

I think women going to boxing matches is more of the occassion and being in it more than the fight itself, no doubt you will occassionally find a woman who genuinely loves boxing but I imagine they're pretty rare! (And perhaps not lookers but one can hope!) Perhaps then I could try discussing as to why Floyd Mayweather Jr's style was all wrong for Diego Corrales without getting a blank stare!

Last edited by AlexHuckerby on Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'm a nincompoop)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu 28 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

Super D Boon wrote:Even the unisex sport of tennis has considerably less female posters than male.

It all boils down to the fact women are less likely to waste their time on things such as discussion forums laughing

If they spent all their time on forums, how the hell would the dishes and ironing get done?

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Jul 2011, 11:38 am

I guess we can't then

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 28 Jul 2011, 11:41 am

rowley wrote:I guess we can't then

Gotta remember rowley that some on here haven't seen a woman without staples through her chesticles.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 28 Jul 2011, 11:49 am

BALTIMORA wrote:

Gotta remember rowley that some on here haven't seen a woman without staples through her chesticles.

Whereas you are known as Don Juan de Baltimora.......!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Thu 28 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

I think it would be a gesture to let them have their own section to discuss the female version of sports. Clunge corner perhaps?

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

Would slightly reduce your chances of ever interacting with a woman but if you're willing to make the sacrifice fair play to you.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:15 pm

Erm

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

Don't worry jeff, I'm sure your wife isn't reading nope

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:19 pm

I'm sure you're right Scott, think I may spend the rest of the afternoon making a load of racist jokes, see how readily those are tolerated.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:21 pm

razzaq wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:Even the unisex sport of tennis has considerably less female posters than male.

If they spent all their time on forums, how the hell would the dishes and ironing get done?

Good point. Although I'm all for equality, let the women go out to work and the men do the dishes but I really wish they'd take the ironing back!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:I think women going to boxing matches is more of the occassion and being in it more than the fight itself, no doubt you will occassionally find a woman who genuinely loves boxing but I imagine they're pretty rare! (And perhaps not lookers but one can hope!) Perhaps then I could try discussing as to why Floyd Mayweather Jr's style was all wrong for Diego Corrales without getting a blank stare!

Actually it's rumoured Jenna J from East Side Boxing knows her stuff and is supposed to be a looker!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm

Super D Boon wrote:Actually it's rumoured Jenna J from East Side Boxing knows her stuff and is supposed to be a looker!
She's a looker. But knows her stuff...she said Michael Spinks and Hatton have equal legacies.

Ummm...not that her looks are important when discussing boxing.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:39 pm

Tell the truth, I think Boxing is just a sport that doesn't appeal to women from the violence aspect of it. Probably the most masculine of sports out there. Be like finding a woman that loves war films or something, they are out there, just rare. Not a particularly big fan of women at sport anyway, I can live with tennis and all that, but god, listening to some women talking about football is bad enough, I couldn't bear it if my mum started screaming her nonsense when I was watching boxing!

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

i did warn ya

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

Some very insightful comments.

Shame no female posters partook.

I have to agree with the ironing sentiments. I'd also add cooking and hoovering to that list.

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:23 pm

My missis always likes to go with me to watch the Froch fights, but i've nipped that in the bud when she ruined the night accusing me of staring at the other women that were there. She always used to stay up with me though when Hatton was in Vegas or when Froch fought Taylor.
Also I have to admit that although I consider myself in reasonable shape, its got to make me look somewhat crabby when compared to a pro boxer and for that reason, and having a lads only occasion, I prefer my missis to devolop her own interests and hobbies.

Last edited by aja424 on Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : s@8t at spelling)

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:42 pm

Froch Taylor wasn't on live tv was it?

"There will be a delayed transmission of the fight on ITV4 at 2030 BST on Sunday, with it repeated later on ITV1.

The contest in Mashantucket will be shown live in America by US broadcaster Showtime.

Froch's promoter Mick Hennessy had previously been in talks with both ITV and Setanta Sports but after weeks of negotiations a deal failed to materialise, with the credit crunch and recession being blamed."

Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:44 pm

Was on Primetime, but I think online only.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 02 Aug 2011, 2:30 pm

Probably Froch's best fight and I bet only a handful of people saw it live, how sad..

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by HitmanOwl Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

It's funny that women want equality in sports but when start talking about sport in a group the women don't want to know.

Like when they wanted the same pay as the men but for some reason they don't play 5 sets? I wonder why!

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:38 pm

HitmanOwl wrote:It's funny that women want equality in sports but when start talking about sport in a group the women don't want to know.

Like when they wanted the same pay as the men but for some reason they don't play 5 sets? I wonder why!

If they want true equality I'm all for it, let's not have mens and womens events at the Olympics, let's just have the 100 metres for athletes and so on.

Let's see how many medals the women get then.

In fact I'll tell you how many they'll get.

None.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:39 pm

Yeah they'll be wanting the vote soon, nip it in the bud I say.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:40 pm

Women embarrass themselves at the boxing... looks at Froch's missus during the Kessler fight. Shameful hooligan.

I went to see the Calzaghe Kessler fight in Cardiff with my ex. She fell asleep around 10 rows from the front during the fight. You might see it on Youtube, between Rounds 4-6... a girl... asleep... during boxing.

Shameful.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:42 pm

Dear god we're an enlightened bunch on here, do some of you find it easier to type before or after you've shaved your palms?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:49 pm

Lighten up Rowley, anyone would think you've got the entire literary works of Germaine Greer at home......the way you go on.....

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:53 pm

Always more a Naomi Wolf man myself but each to their own.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:56 pm

Ooops over my head that......can't say I've heard of her but then you're obviously a bit of a connoisseur of feminist writing.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next