The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Cavendish deserve more respect?

3 posters

Go down

Does Cavendish deserve more respect? Empty Does Cavendish deserve more respect?

Post by digitalshade Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:33 pm

After claiming his 20th Tour De France stage win and becoming the first British rider to win the Green jersey, what are the chances of Cavendish finally getting the recognition he deserves?

A few people have been touting him for Sports Personality Of The Year but, as much as I'd love him to win it, I can't see it happening unless the public knowledge and perception of him improves in the next couple of months. Surely, as one of our few truly world-class athletes, he should be more celebrated in the UK?

digitalshade

Back to top Go down

Does Cavendish deserve more respect? Empty Re: Does Cavendish deserve more respect?

Post by dummy_half Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:43 pm

I don't give a flying ... about SPOTY - it's always going to be a popularity contest rather than anything to do with ability or success.

Cav is starting to get the recognition he deserves - he is after all the best at what he does (i.e. finish flat stages very fast), and now has the legacy to back it up.

I'd still like to see him achieve more outside of the grand tours though - yes he has one win in Milan-San Remo, but a rainbow jersey would suit very nicely (and this year is probably his best opportunity, although I'm not sure what the team size is going to be - I think the UCI have changed the rules again so hopefully we'll be able to put out a strongetr line-up than the 4 men of last year), and he should look to improve his Classics riding (Roubaix and Flanders are both races where sprinter-roadmen have success, and certainly if he can learn to ride the cobbles at least Roubaix could potentially suit his explosive style).

The Olympics will also be interesting - Several circuits up and down Box Hill should not be too much for a rider of Cav's quality, and then the longish run-in back to London (30km+) could allow a sprint finish.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Does Cavendish deserve more respect? Empty Re: Does Cavendish deserve more respect?

Post by Azabache Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:53 pm

SPOTY is a bit like Knighthoods-the list of those NOT successful is much more worthy (and untainted sometimes). Ignore it for the creepy, sycophantic and embarrassing charade that it is.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by digitalshade Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:59 pm

I agree SPOTY has lost some of it's credibility in recent years - I'd still like him to win it though as it would at least open his achievements up to a wider audience.

Agree with you about the classics - would be good to see him try and win a few more of those. He's got the potential to do it but it depends whether he decides to go for it.

The World Championships look like they could suit him this year and I think he's definitely targeting a win there.

digitalshade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down