The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UKA Aviva Grand Prix, Birmingham, 19 February

5 posters

Go down

UKA Aviva Grand Prix, Birmingham, 19 February Empty UKA Aviva Grand Prix, Birmingham, 19 February

Post by lsabre Tue 15 Feb 2011, 10:49 pm

I feel it's about time I set up a thread on the Aviva Grand Prix in Birmingham this weekend, starting with the start-lists and timetable:
http://www.uka.org.uk/aviva-series/avivagrandprix/timetable/

lsabre

Back to top Go down

UKA Aviva Grand Prix, Birmingham, 19 February Empty Re: UKA Aviva Grand Prix, Birmingham, 19 February

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 16 Feb 2011, 2:55 pm

Any particular events to look out for Isabre?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

UKA Aviva Grand Prix, Birmingham, 19 February Empty Re: UKA Aviva Grand Prix, Birmingham, 19 February

Post by Im-no-athlete Wed 16 Feb 2011, 5:15 pm

It's a shame Jess has had to withdraw. I hope that ankle problem gets better sooner rather than later.

Im-no-athlete

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Wed 16 Feb 2011, 9:56 pm

I know, that ankle problem seems to persist and I've got an ever-growing feeling that maybe Jessica should start seriously pondering pulling out of the Europeans. There's no use compromising her outdoor season, where she's going to be called on to defend her world title, while she can always come back in two years time to add that one to her pedigree.

David Oliver and Dayron Robles have both scratched from the men's 60mh which is another disappointment leading up to the meeting on Saturday.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Thu 17 Feb 2011, 10:57 pm

Picking up on Mad-for-Chelsea's request, here's my take of the sprint events at the NIA on Saturday: (European standards in brackets)

Women's 400m (53.00)
Soon-to-turn-Brit Shana Cox is fresh from an indoor PB of 52.16 secs set in Fayetteville last weekend so looks poised to enjoy her first ride inside 52 secs for a fitting tie-in to her informal introduction to the British public, under process to receive a British passport now. The NIA arena is very fast with smooth curves around to sufficiently accomodate her cause.

Furthermore, I'm very confident that Kelly Sotherton should land the qualifying standard (53.00) for Paris especially now that she's got to tackle an one-off rather than three races in around 28 hours like last weekend, while she will be running off Cox and, possibly, Novlene Williams-Mills. Something in the 52.6 to 52.8 looks very feasible for her there. I'm not so sure about the chances of Kelly Massey, though, but she should make the 4x400m team.

Men's 60m (6.65)

The men's dash incorporates an effective run-off for the third spot on the British team to Paris between Joel Fearon, MLF and Craig Pickering, where HAA will be more relaxed and can focus on edging closer on 6.60 secs now that he's booked his own place. My own favourite is MLF, to be honest, who looks to thrive when he's with his back to the wall while I don't know how much Fearon is going to be affected by that slight hamstring strain he sustained last week.

Pickering says he is working more on his 100m with his new coach so I wouldn't expect him to get much faster than Sheffield, while it's nice to see Andrew Robertson getting a rare taste of such a level competition. As for the race itself, I feel it should turn very tight up front between Kim Collins, Mike Rodgers and Lerone Clarke for the spoils.

Women's 60m (7.30)
There's no Jodie Williams or Jeanette Kwakye involved in the field so Bernice Wilson can solely set her sights on improving her week-old PB of 7.25 secs. Veteran Joice Maduaka is in it too but all three places for Paris look already reserved unless she comes up with something dramatic. Ruddy Zang Milama (GAB) should be a narrow favourite over Gloria Asumnu (USA) in this one.

Men's 200m (non-championship event)

I was quite impressed by the run of young Danny Talbot (20.89) to upset Andy Turner over 200m in Sheffield last weekend so I'm looking forward to getting the feel of him against Sebastian Ernst, Mike Rodgers and Kim Collins. He'll have no qualifying round to negotiate on the way and a much faster track to set the ground to a faster PB still.

Men's 400m (46.70)

Nigel Levine came so agonizingly shy of the qualifier (46.70) in winning in a PB of 46.76 in Sheffield last weekend, having also set an intermediate PB of 47.04 in the semis, so he will be looking to make the most of such company as Jamaal Torrance and Calvin Smith to clinch his place. Richard Buck had a rather disappointing result behind him but he's got a great record on this track and I'd expect him to uphold that and qualify as well.

There's a B string 400m among British athletes, apparently laid on towards selection of the men's 4x400m, where I'm very intrigued to see what Richard Strachan could come up to off the back of a string of huge PBs over 200m down to 21.02 secs this season while he will also have to weather the storming pace of 19-year-old Jack Green (47.04). The youngster failed to impress in Sheffield but that could be the odd stumble on the way and be back firing on all cylinders this weekend.

Unfortunately, European U20 champion Chris Clarke has withdrawn, as he did last weekend in Sheffield from the 200m, where he looked on the way to something fast after a 46.97 two weeks ago. Looks like subject to fitness to get selected as things turn now. Luke Lennon-Ford and Nick Leavey could both fancy their chances to sneak under 47 secs.

(More later on...)

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 18 Feb 2011, 12:11 pm

Of course, MLF's European qualifying fate, just as Andy Baddeley's, lies largely with the approval of Charles van Commennee. There is a special clause in the qualification policy that prevents athletes that competed in the Commonwealths in Delhi from selection in individual events for the European Indoor champs, unless the UK Head Coach waives this rule at his sole discretion over certain cases. Meaning that whatever both may produce tomorrow on the NIA track they could still not make their way to Paris if van Commennee wishes otherwise.

Andy Turner, on the other hand, has already ruled himself out of the Europeans to focus on the World champs in Daegu. But as concerns the meeting tomorrow, he now finds the way far wider to the top following the simultaneous double withdrawal of David Oliver and Dayron Robles although he still has got his hands full with the likes of Aries Merritt and David Payne. Joel Brown is another dangerous rival in that field. Andy would definitely like to end the indoor season on a high with a time in the 7.5s.

Lawrence Clarke failed to make the top two at the UK champs but has already run twice inside the standard (7.74) so will be aiming at a time under 7.7 secs to gain a tight foothold on selection, as should Gianni Frankis if he finds another hundredth off his equal PB of 7.75 last weekend. Keep an eye on U20 Andy Rozzi who ran 7.91 and 7.92 in quick succession last weekend to upstage highly-rated Jack Meredith.

Last edited by lsabre on Sat 19 Feb 2011, 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 18 Feb 2011, 2:33 pm

In the women's hurdles, new global sensation Kelly Wells emerges as the overwhelming favourite and her sizzling unbeaten run this season recommends that she could pull inside 7.8 secs and into an elite group that have accomplished this feat. With Jessica Ennis sitting out the meeting to protect a slight injury, all British eyes will be over Tiffany Offili who's popped over from the States and could fancy her chances to get hold of the UK record, while Jamaica's Vonette Dixon ought to be her main opponent for runner-up. Gemma Bennett is also in that race chasing a last-gasp qualifier of 8.10 secs.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 3:30 am

There are some more detailed and updated start-lists of the UKA Aviva Grand Prix out now, with the heats drawn up in the various sprint events. Kelly Sotherton, incidentally, is drawn right on the inside of Shana Cox in the women's 400 going in lane 5.

http://www.uka.org.uk/aviva-series/avivagrandprix/timetable/

On the other hand, Marilyn Okoro has withdrawn from the women's 800m, with Vicky Griffiths coming in the other way round, meaning that the race becomes even more of a time trial for Jenny Meadows, who will be out to strike a robust response to the times set by the Russian girls at their champs in Moscow yesterday. I feel something around a low 1:59 should be in the waiting there, and why not even faster, as long as that 'going aground' in that UK champs 400m final hasn't affected her.

Andy Baddeley, who sounded very confident over his 3000m prospects ahead of Paris in an interview a few days ago, is stepping down into an anticipated very fast men's 1500m race that features Derese Mekonnen, Augustine Choge and Bethwel Birgen. Amazingly enough, that's his first race over the distance indoors since 2006 and writing "3:33-3:34" over that race shapes a superb chance to knock a few chunks off his best (3:40.13+) on the boards.

Nick McCormick, Lewis Moses and Colin McCourt will be out on a different mission chasing a late European qualifying standard under 3:42, with the former looking the likelier to attain it among the three. McCourt has been quite unconvincing this season but I wouldn't write him off.

In the women's race, Hannah England makes her first appearance and will be eyeing a fast indoor PB off in-form Abeba Aregawi from Ethiopia, second fastest in the world (4:06.10), while I'll be keeping an eye on Stacey Smith - this girls has got the credentials to go very far!

Abubaker Kaki embarks on his quest for the world indoor record over 1000m taking his first attempt at rewriting Wilson Kipketer's mark of 2:14.96, with a second option on hand in Stockholm early next week. Boaz Lalang will be there to keep him him on his toes all the way while Joe Thomas and Andie Osagie will gauge their strength against some classy opposition, although maybe pushing near the upper end of their range.

The other eagerly anticipated distance race is, off course, the men's 5000m where Mo Farah should normally demolish Nick Rose's long-standing UK record of 13:21 all things equal, while it will be very interesting how close to 13 mins he could draw. Or could he take it even under 13 mins to break that barrier indoors as well? His new training partner Gallen Rupp should offer the closest challenge, with Rui Silva also in the field, and I'd like to see how young Ross Murray is going to follow up a very good run over 3000m in Sheffield last weekend (7:59.19). Scot Overall will hopefully rebound from a disappointing first indoor outing recently.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 1:07 pm

I'm eagerly anticipating the men's triple jump so as to get a feel of Phillips Idowu shape at this particular stage as he comes out of his winter training for a couple of outings on the European circuit, apparently looking to gauge his preparations and blow off some cobwebs. I'm not expecting any real fireworks, nor would I like to see at this point to be honest, but something in the 17.2m would indicate that he's building up nicely to defend his world title in Daegu in summer.

He's facing a fit-again Christian Olsson, who got off to a season opener of 16.99m last week, and that should make for a tough first competition, especially given his bad record against the Swede. Phillips has been the best of the two in recent years so he has got to start gradually reeling it in now. This is a good place to buck the trend and take a 1-0 edge ahead of their 'return' match in Stockholm on Tuesday.

World Youth champion Ben Williams will be in the background of the battle but that's a good chance for him to land over 16m for the first time ever indoors. He looks to have gained plenty of speed on the runway but fail to utilise it into distances so far.

I really fancy Tom Parsons to pull something big today, he got so close to clearing 2.35 last weekend and he's going to be fired up before his home crowd. Finn Osku Torro has cleared an impressive national record of 2.33m recently so Tom has got a real battle in his hands to spur him on to new territories.

Rob Grabarz will be involved as well looking for a late 2.28 qualifier for Paris and looked well within range of last weekend.

There is also a very interesting pole vault where swiftly rising Max Eaves is looking for an additional 9cm to clinch his own place to Paris. Last weekend he improved by a massive 21cm to a new PB of 5.61m so can he do the trick again? So far he has shown to take his opportunities by the scruff of the neck and his confidence should be sky high.

Steven Lewis is still struggling as he's been apparently working and learning new things under a new regime, spending plenty of time alongside Steve Hooker Down Under, so things will take time to bed in. I can't see him make the team to Paris but he could be back in some good form by summer.

Luke Cutts got his best height of 5.51m in two years last weekend so he should first target something around 5.60m to get back where he was two years ago and start building from there. The event is gaining some good strength across the ranks and I think summer will see some fascinating contests on home soil.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 1:37 pm

Richard Strachan gets the meeting off to a flying start as he shatters his indoor PB into a time of 46.35 secs over 400m to provide shape to the promise he had left through an impressive string of lifetime bests over 200m this season. That's the second fastest in Europe, his first ever under 47 secs indoors, and he lays a strong claim to a place on the British team to Paris now.

Behind him, Nick Leavy set a big PB of 46.49 secs, just 0.03 secs off his total best, Luke Lennon-Ford an indoor PB of 46.89 and young hurdler Jack Green also edged under 47 secs in 46.91 secs! That makes seven the Brits under 47 secs, with Nigel Levine and Richard Buck coming on later on, and that was only the incorporated national race! That is going to make an awesome relay squad for Paris!

But for MLF, who pulled up in the men's 60m, it's all over for this winter season now...

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 1:45 pm

lsabre wrote:Andy Baddeley, who sounded very confident over his 3000m prospects ahead of Paris in an interview a few days ago, is stepping down into an anticipated very fast men's 1500m race that features Derese Mekonnen, Augustine Choge and Bethwel Birgen. Amazingly enough, that's his first race over the distance indoors since 2006 and writing "3:33-3:34" over that race shapes a superb chance to knock a few chunks off his best (3:40.13+) on the boards.

Nick McCormick, Lewis Moses and Colin McCourt will be out on a different mission chasing a late European qualifying standard under 3:42, with the former looking the likelier to attain it among the three. McCourt has been quite unconvincing this season but I wouldn't write him off.

Think I got that spot-on with Augustine Choge winning in 3:33.23 although I expected Andy to go a lot faster! But where did that 3:38 from Colin McCourt came from? He and Nick McCormick both got well inside that 3:42 European qualifier!

McCourt must have gone eighth on the indoor UK all-time lists with that 3:38.71 by the way.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 2:04 pm

Andy Turner gets that 7.5 clocking he was so looking for (7.57 secs), coming through strongly in the second half of the race in the second heat of the men's 60mh. Lawrence Clarke got a marginal PB of 7.70 secs in the first heat so has got to book his place for Paris.

Hope that there's nothing wrong with Steven Lewis whose pole broke into two in the pole vault, he was looking in pain lying on the pole vault mattress... It's been quite enough already with Steph Twell missing the whole summer season.

Talking of the pole vault, Luke Cutts went nicely over 5.50 at the second attempt...

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 2:15 pm

The men's UK 400m list a quarter before Nigel Levine and Richard Buck settle in their blocks for the main 400m heat in Birmingham:

1.Richard Strachan 46.35 (PB)
2.Nick Leavey 46.49 (iPB)
3.Nigel Levine (U23) 46.76 (iPB)
4.Luke Lennon-Ford 46.89 (iPB)
5.Jack Green (U23) 46.91 (PB)
6.Chris Clarke (U23) 46.96
7.Richard Buck 47.00

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 2:26 pm

Good race by Andie Osagie to finish strong in fourth in a PB of 2:18.56 although he was inadvertedly isolated at the back by Joe Thomas in the early stages, working his way nicely back. He looks poised for a really good time over 800m soon!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 2:39 pm

Nigel Levine has really come of age this season and storms to an impressive win and a massive indoor PB of 46.17 secs, replacing Leslie Djhone at the top of the European rankings. Richard Buck was a little all over the place through most of the race but came through to finish agonizingly shy of the standard in 46.77 for fourth in the end!

Just take a look at the top 7 in the UK list as it has shaped up following those two 400m races in Birmingham today, with Martyn Rooney and Michael Bingham having skipped the indoor season:
1.Nigel Levine (U23) 46.17 (iPB)
2.Richard Strachan 46.35 (PB)
3.Nick Leavey 46.49 (iPB)
4.Richard Buck 46.77
5.Luke Lennon-Ford 46.89 (iPB)
6.Jack Green (U23) 46.91 (PB)
7.Chris Clarke (U23) 46.96

Last edited by lsabre on Sun 20 Feb 2011, 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 3:51 pm

Much better from Phillips Idowu in his third attempt to land just shy of Christian Olsson's leader of the preceding jump of 17.20m, setting a SB of 17.16m almost...standing! He looks a little rusty at the moment but that's a very good sign ahead of summer.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 4:05 pm

And that was quite big!! 17.26m and into the lead from Phillips who looks to have sparked into life by Olsson's temporary burst to the front.

Stacey Smith has made that breakthrough I've been so anticipating over the last few weeks in a huge total PB of 4:07.42 for fourth in the women's 1500m, close behind Hannah England who also enjoyed a PB of 4:07.24 of her own. Ethiopia's Abeba Aregawi was a runway winner in a PB and world-leading 4:03.28.

What a run by Helen Clitheroe who is blazing a trail into world class at 37 as she battled her way to a massive PB of 8:37.81 for fourth, forcing her way into Britain's all-time top five indoors.

Jenny Meadows storms to a comprehensive victory in a fast 1:59.23 (UK lead) over 800m to send a clear message to the Russian girls as to what they should expect to Paris early next month, she's really flying.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 4:11 pm

Wow, Phillips is getting better and better with every jump and that was a world runner-up of 17.57m!! He's really on fire now, all he needed was Olsson to spur him on with that temporary leading leap of 17.20m. Who said that he isn't the best triple jumper in the world anymore?

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Im-no-athlete Sat 19 Feb 2011, 4:20 pm

Hope Ryan got the 3000m qualifying time!!

Im-no-athlete

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 4:29 pm

We will know shortly, I was somewhat impressed by Ross Murray's very aggressive early run, hope he held on to a good time. But Mo has pulled the job to draw the curtain on a very good meeting in a massive new UK indoor record of 13:10.60. Few would have doubted he was going to erase Nick Rose's long-standing previous mark, the question was how much inroads he was going to take into it! Looked heavy-legged to me but that hardly matters at this stage. Well done Mo once more!

Last edited by lsabre on Sun 20 Feb 2011, 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 8:31 pm

Unfortunately, Harry Aikines-Ayreety appears to have torn his hamstring during the final of the 60m and that is a cruel blow to him right when he looked over his last season nightmare, effectively missing the entire outdoor season. He equalled his SB of 6.64 secs in the heats and showed poised for more but I guess he's now ruled out of the Europeans for good, as looks MLF who sustained a groin injury.

Despite the injury, HAA was just a mere hundredth outside his SB in the final, suggesting the he could have gone even under 6.6 today but it wasn't meant to be. Both should be alright and back in full flight in summer but right now it's Dwain Chambers that looks, yet again, to single-handedly carry the British hopes for silverware in Paris.

Mike Rodgers got marginally outside a sub 6.5 (6.50) for a determined win there, that was his best race I've seen so far and there looks to be more to come! Nice to see Kim Collins mixing it at the very front still!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 9:54 pm

Mo Farah may have obliterated Nick Rose's UK indoor record as very much anticipated leading up to the meeting, but for me it was great Phillips Idowu that was the star performer of the day. He's definitely among my most favourite athletes around right now, I so like his overall attitude and approach, and was eagerly looking to his first outing of the season to get a glimpse into his shape at this stage. And I've got to admit that I'm so thrilled at the outcome on the other end of the day, what a performance!

It didn't start off all rosy, though, as he was rusty and struggling to hit a rhythm in the early stages, holding a fragile lead, while Christian Olsson appeared obviously more assured to work his way to what looked like a crucial lead of 17.20m in the third round, before hardly anyone realised what had happened. The Swede looked as if he had struck a winner and threatened to inflict yet another embarrassing defeat on Phillips and retain his superb record in between them contests.

Yet, rather than unsettle him, that leap shaped the challenge that galvanised Phillips to respond instantly with 17.16 to get back within striking range, following up with a leading 17.26 where he landed almost... standing to wrap things up with that awesome 17.57m in the final attempt. That was a real statement ahead of summer, signalling Teddy Tamgho that he will be waiting for him for some mighty battles.

Mo, on the other hand, didn't look that comfortable, rather heavy-legged, and was made to work hard today but showed character once again to dig deep round the final lap and grind out a decisive lead on Rupp up the back straight that he kept to the line. To be honest, I expected him to have gone around 13:03 to 13:05 but that was an excellent performance nevertheless. Mo seems to have made up his mind on defending his European indoor title in Paris as he let slip in his post race interview, where he will possibly face Andy Baddeley who failed to impress over 1500 despite a new indoor PB of 3:39.16. I'm afraid Andy has come to some dead end in the event right now and needs to ponder moving up to the 5000m with immediate effect. He can really make an impact over there.

Jenny Meadows, underlining her claim to the gold medal over 800m in Paris, and Helen Clitheroe, mounting the European top with a massive PB of 8:39.70, were my other top picks of the day among British athletes where Stacey Smith made that breakthrough I was eagerly anticipating in the 1500m - I'm so glad for her!

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 21 Feb 2011, 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 19 Feb 2011, 10:50 pm

Ryan McLeod's split time at 3000m was 7:54.15, just a fraction outside the European standard!! Such a shame...

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 20 Feb 2011, 11:21 am

This is how a likely British team for the European Indoor champs should look like following the Aviva meeting in Birmingham yesterday, though there is still an effective day (today) before the deadline where things could still happen.

Men
60m Dwain Chambers (Joel Fearon)
400m Nigel Levine, Richard Strachan, Nick Leavey
800m Joe Thomas, Andie Osagie
1500m Nick McCormick, Colin McCourt
3000m Mo Farah (Andy Baddeley)
60mh Lawrence Clarke
HJ Tom Parsons, Rob Grabarz
4x400 Nigel Levine, Richard Buck, Richard Strachan, Nick Leavey, Luke Lennon-ford, Jack Green (/Chris Clarke)

Women
60m Bernice Wilson, Jeanette Kwakye (Jodie Williams?)
800m Jenny Meadows
1500m Hannah England, Stacey Smith
3000m Helen Clitheroe
Heptathlon Jessica Ennis*
PV Holly Bleasdale (Kate Dennison)
4x400 Kelly Sotherton, Lee McConnell, Marilyn Okoro, Kelly Massey, Laura Wake, Emma Pullen (/Joey Duck?)

In the men's 60m, Harry Aikines-Ayreety and Mark Lewis-Francis should be considered out of the running following hamstring and groin injuries yesterday, while Joel Fearon holds the qualifying standard and could come in.
Richard Buck missed narrowly out on the 46.70 target time, having not run the respective outdoor marker last summer, so has to give way to Richard Strachan and Nick Leavey who both run PBs of 46.35 and 46.49 respectively. He is most certain to make the relay though.
Andy Baddeley ran 7:42.75 last summer so can still claim selection as he possesses the outdoor standard of 7:44.00, yet at the discretion of Charles van Commennee having also competed at the Commonwealths.
Incidentally, Ryan McLeod missed agonizingly out on a place as he clocked a split time of 7:54.15 through 3000m en route to 5000m in Birmingham yesterday.
Rob Grabarz has got the qualifier with 2.28m in the high jump from last summer, while
Phillips Idowu and Andy Turner have opted out of the Europeans in the triple jump and hurdles respectively.
On the women's side, it's very doubtful whether Jodie Williams will travel to Paris considering her overall approach to senior championships.
Kate Dennison has got the standard from last summer but should be rather unlikely to compete since in the process of re-building under the guidance of her new coach.
Jessica Ennis, last but definitely not least, is subject of fitness due to a slight persisting ankle injury.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sun 20 Feb 2011, 1:06 pm

What about Luke Coutts in the PV? Could be good experience for him without any expectation of a medal. But you never know in that event as another improvement in his PB could get him there.

HJ result seems disappointing. Can't believe no-one went higher than 2:21.

Overall seems the meeting will be marked as a big success for many looking forward to Paris, but a few disappointments along the way. Very Happy

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Im-no-athlete Sun 20 Feb 2011, 1:43 pm

lsabre

Jodie Williams has already said she is looking forward to Paris.

Pity about Ryan, but it was a big pb Very Happy . Helen was out for a run in the park this morning so had to congratulate her as she went past!

Im-no-athlete

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 20 Feb 2011, 2:43 pm

teassoc wrote:What about Luke Coutts in the PV? Could be good experience for him without any expectation of a medal. But you never know in that event as another improvement in his PB could get him there.

HJ result seems disappointing. Can't believe no-one went higher than 2:21.

Overall seems the meeting will be marked as a big success for many looking forward to Paris, but a few disappointments along the way. Very Happy

Well, I'd like to see Luke Cutts go in the pole vault too, Teassoc, but he hasn't got the necessary standard of 5.70m either last summer or during the indoor term. So, going strictly by the selection policy, he is not eligible for selection.

Now, if van Commennee opts for a discretional selection or two outside what has been laid out, that would be a different story but teams selected since he arrived as Head Coach of UKA indicate that he's adamant over criteria been fulfilled.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 20 Feb 2011, 2:46 pm

Im-no-athlete wrote:lsabre

Jodie Williams has already said she is looking forward to Paris.

Pity about Ryan, but it was a big pb Very Happy . Helen was out for a run in the park this morning so had to congratulate her as she went past!

Yes, I'm aware of that about Jodie, I'm-no-athlete, I hope she makes up her mind on going to Paris. Nice to come upon Helen I guess, next time round please pass my congrats too! Very Happy

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 20 Feb 2011, 2:48 pm

By the way, another eligible athlete for selection would be Chris O'Hare, who set a huge PB of 3:56.48 over the mile last week inside the required 3:58 standard set by UKA, but the European Indoor champs should not fall in with his plans I guess.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Mon 21 Feb 2011, 9:13 am

I have missed mentioning the splits of certain Brits at 3000m en route to the 5000m on Saturday in Birmingham, which make some very interesting reading:

Ryan McLeod 7:54.15+ (iPB, first time under 8 mins indoors)
Ross Murray (U23) 7:58.37 (PB)
Jon Mellor 8:03.29

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Mon 21 Feb 2011, 5:33 pm

I think the best part of the day was the mens 400m hurdles, how anybody could hurdle a barrier 5 metres from the line is beyond me, probably why the first 2 nearly fell! Was good to see the event being shown on bbc1 on a saturday.

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Tue 22 Feb 2011, 6:55 pm

Steve Lewis is reported to have fractured his wrist when his pole snapped in an attempt during the pole vault at the Aviva Grand Prix in Birmingham on Saturday. It looks like he's going to have his hand in plaster for about three weeks.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Tue 22 Feb 2011, 7:54 pm

More over Steven Lewis's forced lay-off and immediate shifts of plans following his hand injury on Saturday:

http://www.sportinglife.com/others/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=others/11/02/22/ATHLETICS_Lewis.html&BID=678

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:13 pm

Mark Lewis-Francis, on the other hand, is faced with an up to eight weeks lay-off due to a torn groin muscle over the 60m heats in Birmingham, meaning a considerably delayed start to the outdoor season. Thankfully for him, the Worlds in Daegu are held deep at the end of August meaning that the whole season will be picking up later than recent years too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/9404444.stm

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down