The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will the Klits legacy suffer because they are white???

+18
Bluto1978
Michaels, Sean
Rowley
Super D Boon
King Raoh
JACKMAGIC
huw
Fists of Fury
The Galveston Giant
Scottrf
ONETWOFOREVER
John Bloody Wayne
Imperial Ghosty
AlexHuckerby
The genius of PBF
eddyfightfan
Young_Towzer
TRUSSMAN66
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Will the Klits legacy suffer because they are white??? Empty Will the Klits legacy suffer because they are white???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 21:05

This is a contentious subject but if you grew up in America in the 80's you'd know that there was a widely held opinion that White people couldn't fight. Cooney was a laughing stock...everytime Bobby Chyz won he'd say my trainer always say I'm a black man in a white man's body....and if a kid was good like Pazienza, Mancini they'd say he had a black man's heart....I'm honestly not kidding you....

Since the very old days generally and since Marciano at heavy Boxing has always been dominated by blacks mainly, orientals and hispanics with the odd exceptions..

Obviously the balance has been redressed to a certain extent with the multitude of titles about....

But it is a valid question that as the perception has been in certain quarters that white people can't fight..

Is it the reason why the Klits aren't taken that seriously..is being White hurting them!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Will the Klits legacy suffer because they are white??? Empty Re: Will the Klits legacy suffer because they are white???

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 13 Jul - 21:12

I don't often agree with you on things, but i do on this, imo especially the americans would rather them be black, like Ali, Tyson, Holmes, etc. I think if they were black they would have more respect. That's my personal view, white people can't fight, the idiots who say that should watch Calzaghe, etc.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Will the Klits legacy suffer because they are white??? Empty Re: Will the Klits legacy suffer because they are white???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 21:20

Americans wouldtrather them be black.....the idiots who say that should watch Calazghe....

So i'm an idiot..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 13 Jul - 21:23

not to my knowledge- i didnt know such barriers still exsisted, i come from a more modern time, with naz, calzaghe, bruno and no such worrys as far as i noticed

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 13 Jul - 21:23

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Americans wouldtrather them be black.....the idiots who say that should watch Calazghe....

So i'm an idiot..

Do you not think white people can fight like? if so then imo your about 101% deluded

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 21:27

I think you've missed the point of my thread......perhaps you should jog on..

Naz wasn't white Eddy..and I'm talking perception not barriers..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 13 Jul - 21:28

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think you've missed the point of my thread......perhaps you should jog on..

I haven't missed the point of anything, i asked you a legit question, do you think white people can't fight? perhaps you should stop being angry and take on board not everyone has to agree with you, end of.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 13 Jul - 21:28

Most of the great boxers are black...There is some exception to the rule like Duran who is considered top 10 of all time despite getting battered by the likes of Hearns.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 13 Jul - 21:29

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think you've missed the point of my thread......perhaps you should jog on..

Laugh

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 21:31

Duran was hispanic.......

I said there was a widely held opinion..

I never said I shared it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 13 Jul - 21:33

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Duran was hispanic.......

I said there was a widely held opinion..

I never said I shared it..

Like Kevin Mitchell?

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 13 Jul - 21:36

im fully aware that naz isnt white- my point being is i came into boxing at a time where the talent was a melting pot of colours, creeds and nationalitys- and that because im relativly young i dont remember a time in the 80s when people where bias either way- and in england at least have never witnessed anybody class white and black boxers any different, im not saying that these perceptions dont exist- just in my world im not aware of them.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 13 Jul - 21:38

Who mentioned Mitchell? what he got to do with out, ohh yeah i forgot Worzel Wummage is after another argument, he must be bored. Joe Calzaghe for my money is easily in the top 3 best brits ever and he is white.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 13 Jul - 21:39

I think it's more down to the limited opposition to be honest... As they have beaten off there black contenders in the past few years...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 21:40

I must admit the British are more happily multicultural than my brethren in Roxbury seemed to be in the Eighties......

Much less likely to use labels and stereotype.....

Or maybe I'm mistaken..Certainly a fairly big anti-Khan brigade.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Jul - 21:42

Wasn't Tommy Morrison once dubbed 'the great white hope'? I'm not certain but am sure he carried that tag for a while early on.

It's an interesting question though. My girlfriend is black and she tells me I can't fight..so I just stand there and take it!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 13 Jul - 21:45

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I must admit the British are more happily multicultural than my brethren in Roxbury seemed to be in the Eighties......

Much less likely to use labels and stereotype.....

Or maybe I'm mistaken..Certainly a fairly big anti-Khan brigade.

There's only the clown himself who said he isn't liked for his skin colour/ethnic background, i couldn't give a damn if he's white, yellow, black, or orange, i used to like him until he got greedy and big headed, the brits don't like him? i went the Salita fight and he got a pretty good reception off everyone, myself included. Baffling

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 13 Jul - 21:47

To be fair YT the fact he's waving the British flag means he will usually get a good receptoin whilst fighting foreigners providing he doesn't do anything TOO daft.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 13 Jul - 21:49

AlexHuckerby wrote:To be fair YT the fact he's waving the British flag means he will usually get a good receptoin whilst fighting foreigners providing he doesn't do anything TOO daft.
He was born in Bolton so imo he's English

I was born and brought up in Tipperary, i'm Irish end of story, my brother's are Irish, my uncle's etc are english/irish, i love both, but wouldn't call myself anything other than Irish, Khan is English, regardless of his background, family.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 13 Jul - 21:54

The problem here is with the exception of Truss none of us really know the opinions of those in America so applying the standards we hold in this country don't necessarily apply there too

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 21:58

It's a good point Ghosty...but I was interested in the English perception...

Whether you have/had more respect for Black fighters per se...

Certainly in America there was a tendency to disrespect white fighters in the mid eighties...

Even guys like Chyz would disrespect their own..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 13 Jul - 22:11

Ask Kelly Pavlik.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 13 Jul - 22:11

like i've said, i have hand on heart never noticed- i think were that starved of good champions that we readily accept most people, look at our previous record of greats....

calzaghe- italian/welsh
lennox- canadian
naz- english but practiving muslim
chisora (not a great but a modern example) zimbae born
khan- english muslim

i think that list shows most english men like myselfs will not allow little things like not actually been english get in the way of supporting the best hope our country offers.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 13 Jul - 22:15

eddyfightfan wrote:like i've said, i have hand on heart never noticed- i think were that starved of good champions that we readily accept most people, look at our previous record of greats....

calzaghe- italian/welsh
lennox- canadian
khan- english muslim

i think that list shows most english men like myselfs will not allow little things like not actually been english get in the way of supporting the best hope our country offers.

Lewis was born in West Ham, i think it bothers the Yanks more than Brits, they say he's Canadian etc because he lived there, he was Brit born and called himself English, i think it eats away at most Yanks, because he battered everyone they had to offer, and also the best they had to offer, and i must stress, battered them.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 22:17

Won the Gold medal for Britain did he???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 13 Jul - 22:20

Young_Towzer wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:To be fair YT the fact he's waving the British flag means he will usually get a good receptoin whilst fighting foreigners providing he doesn't do anything TOO daft.

I was born and brought up in Tipperary, i'm Irish end of story, my brother's are Irish, my uncle's etc are english/irish, i love both, but wouldn't call myself anything other than Irish, Khan is English, regardless of his background, family.

Yes but the fact that he has that background people that have the similar type of background would generally warm to him quicker as they have more to relate to him with. It's a fact, just the way it works. Ricky Hatton loves his football and is often seen at games celebrating with other guys, they relate to him and follow him around the world... Just the way it works.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 13 Jul - 22:22

thats my point, we will readily accept that because we are proud to have a champion (especially lewis, britans best imo), but if he decided he was candian we wouldn't accept that. i think britan just accepts people more readly if there prove to be talented.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 22:24

Pietersen, Rusedski, Lewis.....

Have no doubts they would have all represented their true Countries had the money and sponsorship been there..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 13 Jul - 22:28

i think it works both ways, the way the british public readly accept talented "brits from abroad", i think the boxers who choose to make england there adopted country warm to the public due to our support and like been "british"

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 22:32

To me you represent where you come from.........

I've always been good at synchronised swimming but If the Olympic committee come calling I'm American even though I've been here twenty years...

I find it disturbing you can want to represent a Country that's not in your soul....

But that's me.....

Well-muscled, sexy, talented, charismatic, handsome, modest American..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 13 Jul - 22:35

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Young_Towzer wrote:

Yes but the fact that he has that background people that have the similar type of background would generally warm to him quicker as they have more to relate to him with. It's a fact, just the way it works. Ricky Hatton loves his football and is often seen at games celebrating with other guys, they relate to him and follow him around the world... Just the way it works.

Hate it when people try and play the race card though, gotta be honest, bores me to tears. Hatton was a lot more down to earth, i thought he should of boxed Witter though, but hey haha.

Last edited by Young_Towzer on Wed 13 Jul - 22:36; edited 1 time in total

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 13 Jul - 22:35

Well-muscled, sexy, talented, charismatic, handsome, modest American..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And may I add TRUSS highly intelligent.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 13 Jul - 22:36

Young_Towzer wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:like i've said, i have hand on heart never noticed- i think were that starved of good champions that we readily accept most people, look at our previous record of greats....

calzaghe- italian/welsh
lennox- canadian
khan- english muslim

Lewis was born in West Ham, i think it bothers the Yanks more than Brits, they say he's Canadian etc because he lived there, he was Brit born and called himself English, i think it eats away at most Yanks, because he battered everyone they had to offer, and also the best they had to offer, and i must stress, battered them.

Don't mean this at a dig for Lewis, but I'm relatively sure he used us for PPV exploitive reasons... Probably thought he could make more money using the GB flag rather than the Canadians one.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 22:36

You may.......just this once! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 13 Jul - 22:37

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Well-muscled, sexy, talented, charismatic, handsome, modest American..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And may I add TRUSS highly intelligent.

He makes Phil Mitchell look like Nathan Cleverly, intelligent wise.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Jul - 22:37

Intelligence wise you mean?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 13 Jul - 22:38

Didn't do yourself any favours there YT...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 22:39

He's always doing himself favors...

A virgin-like quality to him I bet!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 13 Jul - 22:40

and if a kid was good like Pazienza, Mancini they'd say he had a black man's heart....I'm honestly not kidding you....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats the most pathetic thing i have ever read. The Klitschkos are boring end of. Remember the hype surrounding Tommy Morrison white America were praying the duke would go all the way and backed him in his early fights, hell me too and im black. The reason we all saw something in the kid was because he was exciting. Great left hook, could band and laid out a few black fighters in impressive style.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 13 Jul - 22:41

Still you can't argue that race ethnicity and background still do make up PPV Numbers...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 13 Jul - 22:42

I have a question for you TRUSS.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 22:45

Believe me they used to say those things....ONETWO....

Bobby Chyz never should up about being a black guy in a white man's body....because he could fight!! Pazienza was more Italian-American but they still used to say he had black in him...He was from Rhode Island...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 22:46

What's your question..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 13 Jul - 22:47

This is for any white or caucasian guys on here who used to fight or still do.

When you stepped in the ring to face a black man for the first time, was you at all nervous or apprehensive about it? I mean blacks in boxing have this image of being tough, quick, slick and heavy handed. Be honest did you feel a little scared? Did Tyson cross your mind for even a minute?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 13 Jul - 22:50

Bobby Chyz never should up about being a black guy in a white man's body....because he could fight!! Pazienza was more Italian-American but they still used to say he had black in him...He was from Rhode Island...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is genuinely funny sh.. I have to look that up. I wonder what Paz's Italian American parents would have thought about their son being compared to a mouley.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul - 22:51

Only fought one black kid......Can't remember feeling especially intimidated....Perhaps because Coach always said he'd seen the kids we were fighting and they were garbage....

Usually found out after about thirty seconds that he was full of ----- .

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 13 Jul - 22:56

You will be surprised how many white guys I have known who make such a big thing about fighting a black guy for the first time. I think the fact that blacks have in some part dominated boxing since Ali has made a big impression on the public conscience. But it means nothing.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 13 Jul - 23:21

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:This is for any white or caucasian guys on here who used to fight or still do.

When you stepped in the ring to face a black man for the first time, was you at all nervous or apprehensive about it? I mean blacks in boxing have this image of being tough, quick, slick and heavy handed. Be honest did you feel a little scared? Did Tyson cross your mind for even a minute?

No, i was nervous but not because he was black, i kicked the Poopie out of him. He didn't look like Tyson either. He was very slick but didn't have heavy hands.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Jul - 23:29

Black, but didn't look like Tyson?

You mean, you've found a way to tell the difference?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 13 Jul - 23:30

Careful Scott..

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next