The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you keep an unhappy / unsettled player ?

+3
Grizzly
Crimey
Kenny
7 posters

Go down

Can you keep an unhappy / unsettled player ? Empty Can you keep an unhappy / unsettled player ?

Post by Kenny Sat 09 Jul 2011, 12:18 pm

A lot of high profile players appear to be seeking transfers or are being the subject of transfer bids - Fabregas , Nasri , Modric , Tevez to name a few . Their clubs appear not to want sell them so my question is can you keep an unhappy/unsettled player ?

In this i meen by keeping a player who wants to leave for whatever reason does the current club take the risk of ..
1. Unsettleing the dressing room
2. Paying a player who may not give 100% ending up paying a player to not play.
3. In some cases risk losing a player for free if they are coming to the end of contract and will not resign .
4. By keeping an unhahappy player does that then put off other players coming to the club with them thinking ' im not signing a long contract because they will make me keep to it ' .

or does the club just say no we dont want sell you have a contract and you will see it out then you can leave .

My opinion is if a club doesnt want to sell then dont sell , players are more then happy to sign contracts so they should honour them . But then i dont own a football club and dont pay mind blowing wages out .

For me the interesting 1 is Tevez because Man City could afford to just keep paying his wages and make him stay , whether that would then see him quit would be the question but they could then refuse to release his registration so he couldnt play for anyone else .

What do you all think who should win player or club ?

Last edited by KINGKENNY7HEAVEN on Sat 09 Jul 2011, 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : good point by Leak)
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Can you keep an unhappy / unsettled player ? Empty Re: Can you keep an unhappy / unsettled player ?

Post by Crimey Sat 09 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm

You could actually argue that an unhappy player may play much better the next season to try and inspire another team to buy him ala Xabi Alonso, perhaps even C. Ronaldo. Usually they are only being kept at the team they don't want to be, because no team has put in a good enough bid in, or no teams are interested, so that extra year stuck at a club means he has to show how good he is to get the move away.

It is a huge risk to take though to keep an unhappy player, it's a bad influence in the dressing room, most likely on the pitch and probably would put players off joining and even possibly make players at the club unhappy that players at the club are treat like that. Then you've got the fact if the longer they keep the unhappy player, the more likely they'll make a loss or even lose them for free.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Can you keep an unhappy / unsettled player ? Empty Re: Can you keep an unhappy / unsettled player ?

Post by Kenny Sat 09 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

Take your points and i agree its a massive risk , so will the likes of Spurs who have said Modric is NOT for sale at any price or Arsenal who supposedly want 44 million for Fabregas and dont want to sell Nasri cave in an let the players go ?
Will it come down to money ? And if so do the then selling clubs lose a bit of face and appear weak . I maybe wrong but i think it was Ian Wright who recentley said Arsenal were becoming a feeder club for Man City harsh i know but is that the message being sent out ( this is not a wum i wouldnt like my club being thought of like this either)
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 09 Jul 2011, 12:56 pm

There doesn't seem to be any evidence that any of those players are actually unhappy though, you could say Nasri is at a push because he isn't signing a new contract, but Fabregas doesn't seem as desperate to move this year as he was last year and there is no evidence that Modric is unhappy.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat 09 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:There doesn't seem to be any evidence that any of those players are actually unhappy though, you could say Nasri is at a push because he isn't signing a new contract, but Fabregas doesn't seem as desperate to move this year as he was last year and there is no evidence that Modric is unhappy.

Ok maybe unhappy is the wrong word i should of put unsettled aswell , with Fabregas i just get the impression he thinks its inevitable he will go to Barcelona at some point so he hasnt shown a desire yet hes just left it to the clubs and as for Modric as with any person the chance to treble your wages must have made him think he may not of come out and asked for a transfer yet but theres still 50 odd days till the transfer window closes .

A similar thing happened with my rugby team Hull KR and Willie Mason he had a contract but Toulon offered him triple his wages and he left leaving Hull KR looking very stupid in the process .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:15 pm

According to The Times newspaper Nasri has agreed a 4 year £185,00 a week deal with Man City yet Man City have not agreed a deal with Arsenal ? How does that work ? i thought clubs had to sort fees out before talking to players under contract .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 10 Jul 2011, 7:38 pm

Now Modric has claimed that Daniel Levy has refused to honour a gentlemans aggreement allowing him to leave if a bigger club came in for him , even going on to say Levy threatend to make him rot in the stands rather then let him go .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Sun 10 Jul 2011, 9:51 pm

KINGKENNY7HEAVEN wrote:Now Modric has claimed that Daniel Levy has refused to honour a gentlemans aggreement allowing him to leave if a bigger club came in for him , even going on to say Levy threatend to make him rot in the stands rather then let him go .

I hope Levy stands by that if it's true, though Tottenham are a club who are going to need every penny they can get their hands on so I doubt he'll back the words up with actions

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Jul 2011, 10:25 pm

KINGKENNY7HEAVEN wrote:According to The Times newspaper Nasri has agreed a 4 year £185,00 a week deal with Man City yet Man City have not agreed a deal with Arsenal ? How does that work ? i thought clubs had to sort fees out before talking to players under contract .

Man City will go to Arsenal and offer them a sum of money and tell them they can take it or get nothing next year. The rules are pointless no one adheres to them.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonicTruthSpeaker Mon 11 Jul 2011, 9:11 am

Depends very much on the club and player in question.

Aston Villa managed to etain the services of one Gareth Barry after Liverpool tried to sign him, he slated then-manager O'Neill in the press, and demanded a move. However, as he'd very recently got himself into the England starting 11, it was in his interests to play well to maintain that role and Villa then sold him the following year. However, I feel this is very much the minority - it's certainly the only time I can remember a club keeping someone who had so publically demanded a move.

Usually, the club cave in and the player leaves. That's usually the best solution, it removes a potentially harmful influence in the dressing room, and let's face it, the vast majority of players can be replaced.

DemonicTruthSpeaker

Back to top Go down

Post by boomdangle Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm

levy isnt no fool, i'm sure it has been his plan all along, he never promised Mod if a bid they would accept it and isnt in any contract so not legally liable to sell, then mod hands in a transfer request therefore club don't have to pay him off so saves them money, drives up a higher price with the bidding club and the fans turn on the player not the board as they are 'seen' to be taking a stand etc.

Its genius.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:05 pm

boomdangle wrote:levy isnt no fool, i'm sure it has been his plan all along, he never promised Mod if a bid they would accept it and isnt in any contract so not legally liable to sell, then mod hands in a transfer request therefore club don't have to pay him off so saves them money, drives up a higher price with the bidding club and the fans turn on the player not the board as they are 'seen' to be taking a stand etc.

Its genius.

I agree that is the perfect scenario for Levy ie all the blame going to Modric and Spurs looking like they are forced to sell.
But then how does that then impact on Harry Redknapp who was very plain in saying Levy had said no matter what Modric wouldnt be sold . Watching his interview on Sky sports news Harry came across as practically challenging Levy to show Spurs wouldnt sell no matter what , so if they do sell will Harry lose faith in Levy .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:36 pm

Got to say i am quite liking this strong approach by Spurs and Man city at the moment
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 14 Jul 2011, 5:19 pm

Mixed messages at Modric , Redknapp says hes not for sale yet Modric representative says the situation is 'fluid'
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 14 Jul 2011, 5:21 pm

It's just the usual stuff, the club says he's not for sale, the other club raises their bid, they sell the player but make the player out to be the bad guy not them, everybody moves on.

The worst handled one I can think of is Andy Carroll with Newcastle, as the club ballsed it up and manage to make Carroll look good and themselves look bad.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 14 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

I don't think Newcastle came out badly after that. Everyone universally accepted that you can't really turn down £35m for Andy Carroll.

Levy's very good at leveraging these kind of situations. Expect him to join Chelsea for around £40m close to deadline day.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat 16 Jul 2011, 4:07 pm

Modric has handed in a transfer request this morning , and Man City have said they expect to sign Nasri before transfer window closes . So it will be interesting to see if both Spurs and Arsenal remain strong or if they sell .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down