The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hearns v mayweather

+18
Herman Frotchlinger
horizontalhero
AlexHuckerby
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Raymond
Imperial Ghosty
wow_junky
zx1234
bhb001
mikeymax71
Young_Towzer
manos de piedra
coxy0001
fearlessBamber
captain carrantuohil
Fists of Fury
TRUSSMAN66
milkyboy
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

hearns v mayweather Empty hearns v mayweather

Post by milkyboy Fri 08 Jul 2011, 9:59 am

As the p4p credentials of both are being discussed on other posts i'm interested in who people see winning this fight.

Mayweather obviously a naturally smaller man, but has fought at around welter for long enough for this to be a fair call. In most opinions he has a higher p4p historical ranking than Tommy.

I'd agree with that, but happen to think in a match up that Hearns is exactly the type of fighter to beat mayweather.... fast hands, great jab, reach fighter/boxer with real power.

As no-one has actually beaten mayweather, its supposition to say someone has the style to do it (a different animal but it would have been interesting to see how he handled williams). I think mayweather would match up pretty well against leonard and i find that one hard to call, but imo, someone like hearns would be the man to do it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

hearns v mayweather Empty Re: hearns v mayweather

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:02 am

As with every Hearns fight his opponent lands or loses...I think Hearns with a chin and durability is probably the greatest fighter of alltime...

If Mayweather lands a money shot then he wins if not like Hearns-Leonard he gets owned by the jab...

Hearns decision..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:04 am

Think I'd have to side with Hearns too, horrible dimensions to deal with along with the skills you mention.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:34 am

Worst possible opponent for Mayweather, who doesn't hit hard enough to discourage Tommy at welter and can't be guaranteed to outbox him, either. Floyd can win, but I suspect that pre-fight psychological warfare is going to have to be a part of the equation in order to expose the rather suspect space between Tommy's ears.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:51 am

Hearns by KO2 if FMJ tries to win or UD shut out if he tries to survive.

Mayweather is a great fighter - far greater than Hearns, but he is no great Welterweight.

I don't think it's a fair match up - may as well put Leonard in with Spinks.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:56 am

Hearns with his reach and his jab is all wrong for Mayweather, who doesn't carry the power to worry Hearns or keep him off him.

Hearns by UD, 3/4 rounds or so, as Floyd is too defensively good to get knocked out but doesn't throw enough punches to persuade the judges to give him the nod.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:58 am

If Mayweather tries to win.....

Dear oh dear....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:02 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If Mayweather tries to win.....

Dear oh dear....

A parrot with around 50 stock phrases they've been regurgitating for years.

Dear oh dear .................................................

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:03 am

So bamber, if Tommy arrived on the scene now, making his waves in the welterweight division, he stops berto or ortiz, its not a fair match up for him to fight mayweather, just because mayweather used to fight at lower weights?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:05 am

He's a wally Milky..don't waste your time..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:09 am

You probably couldnt invent a more awkward opponent for Mayweather. Even Hearns much criticised lack of durabilty is unlikely to matter against the light hitting Mayweather.

Mayweather is too good to get disgraced in the fight but cant look past a handy Hearns UD in the 116-112 region.

Mayweather always surprises though so I still believe he would have his movements in the fight. Its the sort of fight which could bring out the best of him and surprise everyone and Hearns was never all that tactically astute in comparison with the boxing brain of Floyd.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:13 am

Like it or not the shot that put Hatton down would stop Hearns so in essence Mayweather can beat Hearns by ko...

Just getting to him is the problem as Roberto found out..

Leonard was brave enough to rally..would Floyd be that brave...

Very Leonard like is Floyd but he's never been under the same pressure as Leonard was that night...

Hearns for me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:14 am

i think the between the ears bit, raised by captain and manos is the caveat on this one. You could never count mayweather out, but i did pick hearns thinking he might be the perfect foil for mayweather.... seems i'm not alone on this one

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:16 am

Hard to give ANY fighter more than a punchers chance against Tommy...

Sure he cocked up in his tactics with Hagler.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:18 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Hard to give ANY fighter more than a punchers chance against Tommy...

Sure he cocked up in his tactics with Hagler.....

I'd give SRR more than a decent chance to be honest Wink

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:19 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Like it or not the shot that put Hatton down would stop Hearns so in essence Mayweather can beat Hearns by ko...

Just getting to him is the problem as Roberto found out..

Leonard was brave enough to rally..would Floyd be that brave...

Very Leonard like is Floyd but he's never been under the same pressure as Leonard was that night...

Hearns for me..

Im not convinced it would. Hatton was a small welter in reality and walked straight into the check hook face first with careless abandon.

Hearns was a big welter and even some big shots Hagler landed at middle failed to put him down initially. I think at best Mayweather could hope to knock him down in a flash knockdown sense but I really dont see Mayweather having the concussive power to keep Hearns on the mat unless Hearns totally gassed or something along those lines.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:23 am

I think Hearns chin at welter was there for the taking....If you are chinny.....you are chinny..

Roger Mayweather was a big super feather hence his success at jr welter..where he was more sturdy...Lockridge, Pendleton and Chavez all exposed his chin...at the lighter weight

Hearns chin got better with size as did Roger's!!

It's all academic now.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:24 am

Mayweather's nothing like Leonard nowhere near as fast and not as risky in the way he'd go for a guy, Hearns stops him late on imo, stylistically it would be like Williams who Mayweather stayed well, well away from when he held the WBO title, nowhere near as good as Hearns but very tall, awkward, fast and powerful.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

Hearns by a clear decision. Although Floyd is not a big puncher at 147, his accuracy would always give him a chance to KO Tommy. The hook that more or less finished Hatton I do not think would have done Hearns and also Floyd has softened Ricky up over the previous few rounds before putting him to be. However, with his radar like punches a 3-4 punch combo could get him out of there.

As for Tommy winning; Hearns at 147 had a very good work rate behind a majestic piston of a left jab which was followed by a whipping hook or a fight ending right cross. Hearns would dominate the first half behind his jab with the odd big shot which will keep Floyd at bay. As Tommy slows a little in the second half Floyd will have more counter punching opportunities and maybe able to wobble Hearns in the later rounds.

Hearns wins 8 or 9 of the 12 rounds in a similar way as he did in the first Leonard fight.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

Another vote for Hearns, here. The man was legend in the time of legends

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:59 am

milkyboy wrote:So bamber, if Tommy arrived on the scene now, making his waves in the welterweight division, he stops berto or ortiz, its not a fair match up for him to fight mayweather, just because mayweather used to fight at lower weights?

If a new Hearns turned up Mayweather would be wise to avoid him.

I don't think it is fair to compare two all time greats at a weight which massively favours one of them. Hearns absolute prime was at 147 - whereas this is the bit of Mayweather's career where he shows just how great he is by being an effective welterweight. However he needs to be matched carefully at this weight.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm

depending on the type of ref it is either a comfortable ud or a tko win for hearns

i agree with many of the comments that the match up really isn't fair mayweather should be being matched against career superfeatherweights and lightweight, hearns was successful all the way up to light heavy and cruiser

if mayweather was in against arguello it would be a better match up

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

Mayweather has 2 KOs in 7 fights above 140lb, against Mitchell and Hatton, both of whom came up from lower weights and have always been a bit chinny. Therefore, I can't see him KOing Hearns when it take Leonard 14 rounds to stop him, and Leonard hits considerably harder then Floyd. Being sparked at 160lb by Barkley and Hagler doesn't automatically mean Floyd will be able to KO him.

Hearns by UD, possibly by KO over 15.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

One of the dream fights that I'd most like to see is Arguello-Mayweather at 130. Fabulous mesh of styles.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

Would have to Hearns as much as it pains me but Mayweather wouldn't be able to effectively counter punch a bigger more skillful fighter like Hearns

Also would have to favour Arguello at 130lbs

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:27 pm

Would have to go for Mayweather, he has a nac of finding a way to win has a awesome defence and a great chin. Would find a way pass the jab with ease for me. Mayweather UD or late KO

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

fearlessBamber wrote:
milkyboy wrote:So bamber, if Tommy arrived on the scene now, making his waves in the welterweight division, he stops berto or ortiz, its not a fair match up for him to fight mayweather, just because mayweather used to fight at lower weights?

If a new Hearns turned up Mayweather would be wise to avoid him.

I don't think it is fair to compare two all time greats at a weight which massively favours one of them. Hearns absolute prime was at 147 - whereas this is the bit of Mayweather's career where he shows just how great he is by being an effective welterweight. However he needs to be matched carefully at this weight.

i take your point bamber, I never said it was flloyds best weight. I had someone arguing on another thread that hearns was weight drained at 147 and his best weight was at light middle, so you could say it wasn't hearns best weight either. Clearly hearns is the bigger man... one started at the weight and one finished at it, so you're talking a young hearns against an older mayweather. My guess is fmj would struggle to make super feather now! I think mayweather would give leonard real trouble even at welter and i'm a big leonard fan... i picked hearns primarily as a stylistic match-up, and a fight that could conceivably have happened with the benefit of a time machine.

I think it discredits floyd a bit to say he needs to be carefully matched... if that's the case he shouldn't be fighting at the weight, mouthing off that he's the greatest.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:41 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:One of the dream fights that I'd most like to see is Arguello-Mayweather at 130. Fabulous mesh of styles.

I know you're a big arguello fan... and this would be a great fight...but have to fancy mayweather in this one... much as i'd be cheering alexis on!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

I have to say the only similarity between hearns and Williams is size. PW doesn't use his range like tommy, instead he fights up close and tries to beat opponents on volume and workrate, he doesn't use his physical advantages nearly well enough.

I'd back hearns to beat mayweather. Both have speed, but with tommys size, jab and power he'd be a nightmare for mayweather. Floyd has the advantage in ring smarts, but I think the jab would back him up too much and not being the busiest of fighters anyway he'd lose a decision to hearns. If mayweather comes forward he nit only has to deal with hearns range to get inside but he's at risk of getting into a firefight with one of the most powerful welters ever. Mayweather is an average puncher, not sure he has what it takes to take tommy out even with the hitmans questionable chin.

Hearns by decision for me.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:14 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:I have to say the only similarity between hearns and Williams is size. PW doesn't use his range like tommy, instead he fights up close and tries to beat opponents on volume and workrate, he doesn't use his physical advantages nearly well enough.

I'd back hearns to beat mayweather. Both have speed, but with tommys size, jab and power he'd be a nightmare for mayweather. Floyd has the advantage in ring smarts, but I think the jab would back him up too much and not being the busiest of fighters anyway he'd lose a decision to hearns. If mayweather comes forward he nit only has to deal with hearns range to get inside but he's at risk of getting into a firefight with one of the most powerful welters ever. Mayweather is an average puncher, not sure he has what it takes to take tommy out even with the hitmans questionable chin.

Hearns by decision for me.

I only mentioned Williams because he is stylistically the closest thing to Hearns, huge and awkward and would of also give Mayweather nightmares @147 imo. Hearns would of been avoided anyway.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:21 pm

Closest thing to Hearns is Khan...both bigger than their opponents and both with a great jab....Both chinny too...

Khan not as good..but the closest thing to hearns.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:26 pm

Hearns style is not like Williams for me. Williams is a swarmer, Hearns was more of a distance/range fighter.

Wouldnt say theres any welter around at present that is similar to Hearns.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:26 pm

Stylistically Williams is nothing like Hearns, he doesn't jab, doesn't have concussive power, basically fights in a totally different way

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Closest thing to Hearns is Khan...both bigger than their opponents and both with a great jab....Both chinny too...

Khan not as good..but the closest thing to hearns.

Nothing at all alike imo, ones very fast who is a combination puncher and makes plenty of mistakes and easy to hit, Hearns had one punch KO power, Khan doesn't, worked his way in and finished people as soon as he hurt them most of the time, Khan doesn't. The only similarity imo is that there both chinny.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:35 pm

....I don't give a toss about your opinion..

sorry..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:....I don't give a toss about your opinion..

sorry..

Yeah, as i say don't think he's anything like Khan Very Happy

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:43 pm

Khan is the only fighter around Welterweight who bases his work around a jab which is the point Truss was making

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:46 pm

[I know you're a big arguello fan... and this would be a great fight...but have to fancy mayweather in this one... much as i'd be cheering alexis on![/quote]

I certainly am an Arguello fan, and with the utmost regret, would have to make Floyd favourite as well in this one. Alexis struggled as a featherweight with Marcel and as a lightweight somehow got beaten in a non-title fight by the counter-punching Vilomar Fernandez.

In his defence, however, 130 was Alexis's weight - fitted him beautifully and he always got the job done, against an array of fine fighters, none of whom, admittedly were a technical match for Mayweather. Over twelve, I'd have to say Mayweather takes a decision, not without some rocky moments en route. Alexis rarely wasted a punch and his straight right was a thing of beauty. Always thought that you needed to punch straight to upset Floyd and few did it better than Arguello. Conceivable that over 15, Alexis brings enough of the heavy artillery to bear to stop Floyd late - he was consistently dangerous deep into the championship rounds.

Nevertheless, I repeat, Mayweather would have to start favourite.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:57 pm

Would be a fascinating match up no doubt, just have a feeling that Arguello would pull it off like he almost always did, i'm not sure how well Mayweather takes Alexis' best shots which would surely land at some point, such a pinpoint puncher like he was is difficult to avoid for long. Lands anything like the shots he did against Pryor who to this day I can't believe stood up to them and think its fight over.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 08 Jul 2011, 5:59 pm

This is a tough one but I'd go for a UD for FMJ.

Think that some of the rounds could resemble Haye Vs. Wlad with Hearns proddingaway at the jab trying to be careful not to mak mistakes and get countered, but I think that FMJ will find a way inside the jab and land counters whilst lunging into shots as he did with Phil N'Dou. He'd be careful but I think all the clean and effective work would be done by FMJ with the more aggressive work being done by Hearns, but I struggle to see him landing a lot of clean effective punches on Floyd in truth...

I think it would be perhaps a slightly controversial decision because some people would favour the more aggressive fighter, but I think FMJ edges it by a couple of rounds.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:As with every Hearns fight his opponent lands or loses...I think Hearns with a chin and durability is probably the greatest fighter of alltime...

If Mayweather lands a money shot then he wins if not like Hearns-Leonard he gets owned by the jab...

Hearns decision..

A defence would have helped as well Truss, see your still spouting the same old b*****ks about Hearns 'owning' Leonard. Go watch the fight again-Leonard wins his rounds decisively,whereas Hearns nicks his, oh and he kicks the s**t out of him and wins by stoppage.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Frotchlinger Sat 09 Jul 2011, 9:46 am

Floyd would need an injection in the changing room to control his nerves.

Tommy possesses that combination of speed and power which so unnerved him about The Pacman.

Don't think Floyd would survive the early onslaught, it's Tommy by brutal stoppage in this one. Floyd to retire, never to be heard of again.

Herman Frotchlinger

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat 09 Jul 2011, 9:59 am

I can't see past Hearns in this one. Mayweather has the silky defensive skills but in every other department Hearns holds the cards.

Hearns a bona fide great welter, and Mayweather a great fighter who happens to fight at welter, nowadays. Therein lies the difference, for me.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 09 Jul 2011, 10:23 am

Prolific this mornin Windy aren't you....

I'll go further and say Hearns with durability and a chin is probably the greatest fighter ever....Robbo would struggle with that jab...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat 09 Jul 2011, 10:29 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Prolific this mornin Windy aren't you....

I'll go further and say Hearns with durability and a chin is probably the greatest fighter ever....Robbo would struggle with that jab...

I've been suffering withdrawal symptoms this week, Truss. Family visit has kept me away from you lot and my boxing. Great to see my sister, whom I hadn't seen for a year, but nice to be back here, also.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 09 Jul 2011, 10:34 am

Wish I had mine still......

I'll be off here soon when she drops......Hopefully sooner rather than later the way it's going.....Got a dinner party tonight and no doubbt she'll be coming out with her old arsenal of jokes.....

Went to the Doctors he said great news you've got the body of a 20 yr old ...but unfortunately you have a 40 yr old a*se...

I said oh you know my Husband then....

Must have heard that a thousand times......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat 09 Jul 2011, 10:38 am

Old ones are the best ones, mate.

( I mean jokes, of course, as opposed to fighters. Very Happy )

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 09 Jul 2011, 11:14 am

As good as Mayweather is I can't imagine him being capable of doing what Leonard did, toughing it out and going all out late on, can't see him winning many rounds nor can I really see him stopping Hearns.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 09 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

No one knows how capable Floyd is until he is put under that kind of pressure...

What we do know is he has a lot of pride as great champions do..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 09 Jul 2011, 11:41 am

At Welterweight I can only really imagine Robinson, Leonard or Gavilan standing up to Hearns constant jab led onslaught and then possibly turning the tide. Mayweather is a great fighter but don't think he's a great Welterweight which you need to be to stand a chance against the Hitman, if he lands a shot like Mosley did then you have to assume the fight won't last much longer.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next