The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

De Gea Joins United & Most Expensive Goalkeepers list...

+6
Doon the Water
GeeMonkee
Geordie
TipToes88
AberdeenSteve
sodhat
10 posters

Go down

De Gea Joins United & Most Expensive Goalkeepers list... Empty De Gea Joins United & Most Expensive Goalkeepers list...

Post by sodhat Wed 29 Jun 2011, 12:10 pm

BBC confirm that Manchester United have, as expected, completed the signing of 20-year old Spaniard David De Gea from Atletico Madrid -- making him the second most expensive goalkeeper of all time. That's alot of faith in a young goalie!

I don't doubt his talents, but I do hope he isn't castigated for any errors, because any goalkeeper thrives on confidence and mental strength and continual barracking in case of errors will destroy him.

Just for interest, here is the top 5 priciest keepers of all-time; 3 of whom were sold to English clubs for their record fees.

I am a little surprised that the prices for keepers seem still to be low. A fee of £8m is enough to get you on the list and I would have thought many goalkeepers would have changed hands for that -- I wonder why higher fees aren't paid for such crucial members of the team?

MOST EXPENSIVE GOALKEEPERS

•Gianluigi Buffon - £32.6m
•David de Gea - £18.9m
•Angelo Peruzzi - £10.5m
•Craig Gordon - £9m
•Fabien Barthez - £7.8m

sodhat

Back to top Go down

De Gea Joins United & Most Expensive Goalkeepers list... Empty Re: De Gea Joins United & Most Expensive Goalkeepers list...

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 29 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm

Look at that, one of them Scottish. Never thought i'd see the day. Yahoo

I am still a little unsold with De Gea, the English game is all about balls into the box so I hope Fergie gets him straight into training and perfecting that because if he is one of these goals that is going to hesitate he'll be crucified.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

De Gea Joins United & Most Expensive Goalkeepers list... Empty Re: De Gea Joins United & Most Expensive Goalkeepers list...

Post by TipToes88 Wed 29 Jun 2011, 12:18 pm

Yeah I was surprised by Gordon too. He lived near my high school and used to jog around our playing field. We ripped him because he had a mullet back then. Who knew eh. Still rate McGregor more though

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 29 Jun 2011, 12:26 pm

What would Smeichel cost now then....wow

A good keeper can be the difference between winning or losing the title etc...so i can understand the big money...however i always thought £32m for buffon despite his ability was ALOT.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 29 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

It is so much more than the second placed keeper too Falcon -- and considering that move was 2001, then wow, it is a hell of a lot on a keeper.

I'm still surprised that we haven't seen more big money keepers though. It seems like their abilities are just valued less so than other positions. I mean the top 5 striker transfers would include £80m for Ronaldo, £50m for Torres and so on...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 29 Jun 2011, 1:19 pm

"It seems like their abilities are just valued less so than other positions."

I think you're totally right here...however i personally feel a good keeper can win you titles or avoid relegation.....so inthat respect their value should be appreciated.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by GeeMonkee Wed 29 Jun 2011, 1:23 pm

Transfer 'record' fees, when being compared, should be inflation adjusted :run1:

What would Francis's fee be in today's money?

Or for that matter (as we're talking keepers) Buffon's 2001 fee of 32 mill?

It is odd that there are less money in the market paid for 'keepers.

A top striker makes a 'mistake' - e'g. poor control, bad timing of run, etc it's not THAT important, compared to when a 'keeper makes a mistake it tends to end in a goal. So you'd think that there would be a lot more cash splashed in the market for 'keepers...

GeeMonkee

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 29 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

Absolutely Gee, a good goalkeeper can be the difference between a win and a draw or a draw and a loss!

Look at Arsenal for example -- crying out for a keeper -- and a good one may have caught the ball in the Carling Cup final and we'd hear no more of the trophy drought!

I'd say that they should spend whatever it takes to get a world class operator between the sticks -- as should any team. They not only have to keep the ball out of the net, but they organise their defences too, to a large degree. It's baffling undervaluing I think.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 29 Jun 2011, 2:37 pm

Arsenal is the one that baffled me. They are crying out for a top keeper...and should have just gone out and bought one....

I thought Given would have gone there....would have been a great move for both....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:33 pm

Dons steve
I think England have taken over the 'Scottish Goalkeeper' mantle now.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeyking0011 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:18 am

Do you not think that the value of a keeper to a team, is therein the explanation to the lack of big money moves??

If as a manager you know you have an absolutely amazing keeper, why would you sell on such a vital part of your team, to have to buy a keeper who may not be as good, no matter how much money it would bring into your team.

As a United fan I have to say I am Glad to see we have bought in what looks to be a very good young keeper. Personally I have to say I would have gone for Neuer, but still perfectly satisfied by De Gea.

hockeyking0011

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:47 am

Good goalkeeper who has the potential to become as good as anyone. Has a tendency to punch the ball at nearly every opportunity, but he's only young so plenty of time to learn. Should be United sorted for years.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:27 am

I think goalkeepers don't go for such huge amounts of money as there have been so many goalkeeping flops, goalkeeepers are often dropped very quickly compared to other players of the team as well.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark2011 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:11 pm

I am happy with this signing to replace Van der sar as he is talented and showed that at the Euro under 21 tournament last week and with his club over the last few years. He is young so still has time to develop further .

Mark2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:28 am

he looks to be a very good goalkeeper this lad..

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down