The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Write your Gym gripes and frustrations here !!

+20
SaintsSte
ShahenshahG
liverbnz
bluestonevedder
johnson2
Bluto1978
aja424
oneorthree
huw
The_Essence_of_Excellence
Valero's Conscience
Sam
I Blame Coco
BigPhil
Geordie
GG
lightsout
Fists of Fury
Solerina
TRUSSMAN66
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Write your Gym gripes and frustrations here !! Empty Write your Gym gripes and frustrations here !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:30 pm

1. People doing set after set on apparatus you want to use......

2. People on their mobile phones while you're trying to concentrate on a set.

3. Watching people doing set after set of partial reps because the weight is too heavy..

boom boom...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Write your Gym gripes and frustrations here !! Empty Re: Write your Gym gripes and frustrations here !!

Post by Solerina Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:28 pm

People who stink devil

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Write your Gym gripes and frustrations here !! Empty Re: Write your Gym gripes and frustrations here !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:14 pm

I stink of real man solly.......better avoid my gym 8)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Sat 18 Jun 2011, 10:51 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I stink of real man solly.......better avoid my gym 8)

Lol......there's nothing wrong with the smell of a real man Truss.......it's stale sweat and unwashed clothes that causes the problem.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:51 am

Good suggestions that I agree with, Truss. Let me add some more:

1) groups of more than 2. Takes forever for them to finish on each set of apparatus.

2) youngsters aged around 14, shouldnt be doing serious training in my book. Can work, but could also cause injury whilst the body is still growing.

3) people taking dumbbells away to other parts of the gym and not returning them once finished.

There are probably plenty more that I haven't thought of yet, too.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 5:12 pm

Good points here is another one...

Beginners doing finishing exercises like wrist curls, one arm preacher curls etc....

they are called finishers because you need to have some muscle on you to finish...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Mon 20 Jun 2011, 6:23 pm

Guys who want to work in with you when it's quite obvious that you're way past where they can come in at.......I don't mind someone coming in with me if I'm just starting out but I'm not taking plates off to accomadate anyone.

Most of the beginners stay out of your way and don't use the dumbells etc I'm going to be using also tend to avoid the squat rack at all costs....

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 6:27 pm

You're an angry young man lightsout..but I understand your frustration with the working in bit..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Thu 30 Jun 2011, 6:49 pm

Guys (mainly over 40) who only do upper body exercises and strut around the gym with massive arms/shoulders/chests, pot bellies and scrawny legs like they are gods gift to the earth. Would a tiny bit of cardio really hurt so much?

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:09 pm

To be honest I go five times a week and don't need to do cardio with the compounds I do...

Suppose it depends on the exercises you do....

A lot of strong men are fat...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 01 Jul 2011, 12:11 pm

"3. Watching people doing set after set of partial reps because the weight is too heavy.."

Oh hell yes gotta agree with that....then boasting that thats their max weight....erm nope sorry pal its not.

Skinny Legs = We call them chicken legs.... Very Happy

My pet hate is when people lifting to much weight for them, on dumbells cant control them so end up just dropping them on the floor, which ends up breaking the dumbells eventually.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigPhil Sun 03 Jul 2011, 4:50 pm

GG wrote:Guys (mainly over 40) who only do upper body exercises and strut around the gym with massive arms/shoulders/chests, pot bellies and scrawny legs like they are gods gift to the earth. Would a tiny bit of cardio really hurt so much?
I can't wait until I'm like this in 20 years time. Kind of sad isn't it.

The main thing that annoys me is when the free weights section is filled with teenagers who are too busy talking about nonsense rather than just using the equipment and going elsewhere.

BigPhil

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:52 pm

BigPhil wrote:
GG wrote:Guys (mainly over 40) who only do upper body exercises and strut around the gym with massive arms/shoulders/chests, pot bellies and scrawny legs like they are gods gift to the earth. Would a tiny bit of cardio really hurt so much?
I can't wait until I'm like this in 20 years time. Kind of sad isn't it.

The main thing that annoys me is when the free weights section is filled with teenagers who are too busy talking about nonsense rather than just using the equipment and going elsewhere.

+1

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by I Blame Coco Mon 04 Jul 2011, 12:32 pm

1. People who leave discs and/or dumbells on the floor instead of the appropriate racks.

2. People who don't realise the gym is there fore one reason......ME! "Why must you always be using the dumbell/bench/rack/machine that i want to be using? Don't you know my training is more important than yours?"

3. Loud talkers and laughers. I want to quietly train, not hear all about your night out last night.

4. rudey poo music - on occasion it has been known to have the pan pipe version of "My heart will go on" banging out of the gym's sound system.

5. Cardiff Blues academy - take over the free weights area with very little or no consideration for paying members who are also using the facilities.

I Blame Coco

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed 06 Jul 2011, 3:27 pm

People spotting each other on machines & smith machine!

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:54 pm

Women lifting weights!!

They tend to do 15 sets an exercise and stop you using important equipment.. (no pun intended)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 07 Jul 2011, 8:52 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Women lifting weights!!

They tend to do 15 sets an exercise and stop you using important equipment.. (no pun intended)

Spot on, really annoys me that one!!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Fri 08 Jul 2011, 3:35 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Women lifting weights!!

Spot on, really annoys me that one!!

mad

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

1- People taking pair of dumbbells and not returning them to rightful place and often separated so you have to hunt to pair up the weights!

2- Men who literally scream doing weights (IMO weights are too heavy or they are just kn0bheads!)

3- People who leave their sweat on seats and equipment!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Essence_of_Excellence Mon 25 Jul 2011, 2:12 pm

1) Weasels who watch you...immitate you then proceed to fail

2) People who drop the weights on the floor...(someones finger got cut clean off after dropping a weight on his other hand!!)

3) People posing in their grey y-fronts trying to impersonate a body builder in competition

4) People who wear belts to look cool

5) People who work out in jeans and Timberlands

6) People who remove the bar off the bench/squat rack to do some lame ass exercise of their own

Yes I am an angry gym goer!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 25 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

The_Essence_of_Excellence wrote:

2) People who drop the weights on the floor...(someones finger got cut clean off after dropping a weight on his other hand!!)

Arghhh how could I forget!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:02 pm

People who don't return the plates back to the racks.

People who smirk when your doing a dynamic effort workout,because they think that is your max lift for 3 reps! dumb idiots should read beyond Flex mag then they might understand there is plenty more ways of training.

Loud people talking about how many people they have knocked out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:18 pm

People who have all the best branded gear "Gloves belt ipod really white trainers pulse watch etc" and all they seem to do is stretch.

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:14 pm

1. Ugly women with good bodies - The ones that look really hot, you are being sly trying to check them out when they turn around it's like something from a horror movie.
2. Groups of 4-5 people working out together.
3. Small area's for free weights and a million treadmills.
4. Staff with no idea.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 08 Aug 2011, 10:41 pm

huw wrote:1. Ugly women with good bodies - The ones that look really hot, you are being sly trying to check them out when they turn around it's like something from a horror movie.
2. Groups of 4-5 people working out together.
3. Small area's for free weights and a million treadmills.
4. Staff with no idea.

Pretty much spot on, particularly number 1! laughing

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Aug 2011, 6:57 pm

People who, just because I'm not the biggest of people, look down on me or expect me to move just so they can fuel their steroid addled excuse for a body.

Back to top Go down

Post by oneorthree Wed 10 Aug 2011, 4:02 pm

people (usually younger/smaller guys) doing pointless exercises like bicep curls and tricep extensions when they should be sticking to heavy compound movements.

Women hogging the weight area to do 50 reps with 2kg weights on some pointless exercise a PT has given them (unless they are attractive and wearing some of that lycra gym crap most wear nowadays!)

PT's - too much to be specific but almost all of them drive me nuts - giving people pointless exercises to help them "tone up".

People who feel the need to scream at the end of a rep..... i have NEVER needed to scream at the end of a rep, even when finishing a 220kg DL or a 180kg squat the worst i have done is breath out rather loudly!

Men who train in that new lycra stuff and skin tight t shirts.... what is so wrong with an old pair of short/jogging bottoms and a tshirt?

oneorthree

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Aug 2011, 9:30 pm

New people who ask for advice so you recommend compound movements then they say "oh no! nope i just want to get a bit of muscle not look like Arnie" and i think WTF? you ain't like 99% of the people who train ever going to look like Mr Olympia Arnie.
Honestly people just don't understand how much hard work is involved in getting even a little bit of muscle.

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 5:07 pm

-Groups of 3 or more.
-Dropping the weights when there is no need, although it is excusable occasionally.
-People asking you how many sets left, even though they know you're still on the first.
-People who are constantly looking to engage in conversation, and tend to have no cut off point the odd occasion you foolishly make eye contact.
-People who get louder over time as they get bigger.
-People with no clear plan but insist on wanting to use your set of equipment next.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Aug 2011, 8:09 pm

People who quote "Light weight baby"

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Fri 19 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm

People who wear jeans, boots, baseball caps, flip flops etc.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluto1978 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 6:01 pm

Chief among my dislikes are know it all's. Gym's seem to engender that kind of mentality. Some bodybuilders think everyone shoiluld train like them, as can powerlifters , weightlifters and general fitness trainers. I've been doing cleans and someone suggested I was cheating an upright row and that the weight was too heavy.
Unless something's really obvious (genuinely dangerous form) or very rude then people should keep their noses out of other people's training unless asked.

Bluto1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:41 am

GG wrote: flip flops etc.

Does your gym allow flip flops?!!!

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Wed 24 Aug 2011, 5:26 pm

Solerina wrote:

they don't, but it doesn't stop a few people wearing them anyway. staff don't seem to care

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Thu 25 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

GG wrote:
Solerina wrote:

they don't, but it doesn't stop a few people wearing them anyway. staff don't seem to care

Blimey....the staff at my gym would....Mr Sol being one of them.

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Thu 25 Aug 2011, 2:08 pm

Last week I walked into the changing rooms in our gym and a woman was standing, just inside the door, completely starkers, drying her downstairs lady parts with the gym hairdryer!........bl**dy charming!

I think if you need to use the hairdryer down there then it's probably time for a trim! Run

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Essence_of_Excellence Thu 25 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

Haha thats actually brilliant!! Having said that a lot of guys do that to...not sure how or why there is a need when you have a towel.

Another thing I noticed yesterday...was some fool using lifting straps to do 25kg bent over rows....FAIL.

The funniest thing I have seen which led to a frustration was a pleb doing a good morning on a squat rack with the safety arms sticking out. He bent too far over and the 60kg olympic bar proceeded to slide off his shoulders and land on one of the arms. The bar was bent literally 90 degrees! Was not best pleased then having one bar in the whole gym for squat, bench, deadlift and inclince bench! furious

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Sat 27 Aug 2011, 2:33 pm

The lifting straps comment is a classic .....Fail, some guys use them for everything at every weight regardless, if I ever see a guy doing the hairdryer thing I'm not going to beable to ignore the fact that someone else is going to come along and use the same hairdryer and have that guys pubes all over it ......going to have to point this fact out to the guy in a firm but fair fashion.......

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Essence_of_Excellence Wed 14 Sep 2011, 4:38 pm

First time I saw this last night...someone using lifting straps to do chin ups haha!!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Essence_of_Excellence Tue 17 Jan 2012, 3:33 pm

Just re-read this thread some classic comments Laugh .

Obviously this time of year is fecking annoying. Was looking for 14kg for lateral raises only to find some weasel chest pressing it! Seriously to be only able to do that must mean you cant do a press up...surely!

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:19 pm

The_Essence_of_Excellence wrote:Just re-read this thread some classic comments Laugh .

Obviously this time of year is fecking annoying. Was looking for 14kg for lateral raises only to find some weasel chest pressing it! Seriously to be only able to do that must mean you cant do a press up...surely!

Harsh, everyone has to start somewhere.

My gripes... Poor form, no excuse for swinging the bar up, bouncing off your chest etc...

People who do weights which are clearly to heavy. Getting 8 assisted reps does not mean you can lift the weight.

People who do partial reps at the top of the rep range. Only cheating yourself.

People who assume you take steriods because you have muscles. Kind of a back handed compliment I suppose too, acknowledging you are doing well.

Gyms that dont allow chalk.

Gyms that dont allow you to drop weights... what do you expect me to do with the 200kg bar I have just repped for the 5th time to the point of exhaustion. Lower it superrrr slowly. Idiots.

Fat gym instructors. Why would anyone take advice from a fatty.

People training in groups of 3 or more. If you wanna talk, go to the pub.

Arrogance from experienced lifters. You were an amatuer once too... I always make a point of helping people.

People who 1rm every week. No point.

Moaners. "I cant be bothered"... well, f**K off then.

Ahhh, much better.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 17 Jan 2012, 5:07 pm

Older guys who wear vests and clearly don't know what they're doing, but persist on giving you advice simply because you're lifting a heavy weight.

Gyms that don't accommodate for weight-users.

Chavs thinking they own the place simply because they talk loudly.

People throwing a weight down next to you in the middle of your set after they retrieve them from the rack.

Guys who scream on a warm up.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:57 am

People who leave their stuff lying across a whole bench in the changing rooms leaving no room for anyone else to get changed!

People who whistle the Addams family tune in the showers!

People who leave equipment lying on the floor, so when you go look for stuff there is nothing on the racks.

As a side note, I think people that join the gym in January should be made to pay the full year's fee.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 18 Jan 2012, 8:42 am

liverbnz wrote:People who leave their stuff lying across a whole bench in the changing rooms leaving no room for anyone else to get changed!

People who whistle the Addams family tune in the showers!

People who leave equipment lying on the floor, so when you go look for stuff there is nothing on the racks.

As a side note, I think people that join the gym in January should be made to pay the full year's fee.

Laugh spot on!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 6:57 pm

There is a fifty yearish old guy called Steve in our gym who can't help himself.. and breaks wind after every rep during a set....

I sometimes forget not to start a set until he's finished............

Someone blowing a huge raspberry when you've got a 300lb loaded Squat bar on your shoulders is life-threatening... I can tell you!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 21 Jan 2012, 11:37 am

Weighted Row machine facing the mirror - Several times i've nearly giggled at my own red face.

Cardio machines facing away from the tv.

People using diffrent weights on dual stack machines.

People hanging off of the lat pull down.

Skinny Divs giving dirtys to the massive pro builder squatting the weight of their entire and extended family as a warm-up.

People watching you full stack a leg press then adjusting the footplate so their legs are fully extended when they do it - then when you go back for another set you find that the weight has been reduced to half and our friend is flexing in the mirror.

People using Thermobol and wondering why their muscles aren't getting bigger.

People getting a car to the gym with a bike attached to the back.

People dressed in trackies walking out of the gym with a briefcase.

Turnstiles

People ending up doing horizontal squats when trying to do cable chest flys

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 4:31 pm

TV's in gyms full stop. IF you wannna watch the TV, go home.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 22 Jan 2012, 4:32 pm

Not a fan of watching the sports while you're at the gym?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 5:27 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Not a fan of watching the sports while you're at the gym?

Na, find them a distraction. Music is ok, but TV's are a strict no-no for me.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 9:28 pm

One of my biggest gripes is that some of the dumbbells at my gym....

Are too heavy to press with!! Crying or Very sad

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next