The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales U20 to face NZ

+9
doctornickolas
maestegmafia
Knowsit17
TheGreyGhost
welshy824
Glas a du
Impossible Standards
wales606
Adam D
13 posters

Go down

Wales U20 to face NZ Empty Wales U20 to face NZ

Post by Adam D Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:58 pm

Wales Under 20 have made seven personnel and two positional changes to face New Zealand U20 at Rovigo in the Junior World Championships on Tuesday.

Richard Webster's side beat Argentina 34-8 while the Baby Blacks beat hosts Italy 64-7 in the first round.

The changes include Steven Shingler moving from full-back to fly-half with Matthew Morgan, who scored 19 points against Argentina U20, on the bench.

Captain Macauley Cook makes way at lock for Lloyd Peers, who leads the team.

WillGriff John takes over at tight-head prop from Will Taylor, while Thomas Young is at openside flanker in a back-row completed by Ed Siggery and Owen Sheppeard.

Lewis Jones takes over from Jonathan Evans at scrum-half while Dale Ford and Iolo Evans are on the wings.

Liam Williams, who touched down twice against Argentina, goes from wing to full-back.

Webster said: "We were pleased with the result against Argentina. It's great to be able to have that platform to build on, but there were a number of areas we need to improve on if we are to do well against New Zealand.

"We are lucky that due to the fierce competition within the camp for every position, this side is every bit as strong as the starting line-up selected against Argentina.

"Every player selected for tomorrow's [Tuesday's] game fully deserves his chance, while those on the bench will also be desperate to show what they can do against the world champions if they get the opportunity.

"Some areas of our game worked well against Argentina, including our defence, and some of our attacking play, but I felt that we got a bit lazy once we'd scored a few tries.

"It's going to be a different proposition against New Zealand and we will have to make a step up in intensity and concentration.

"Lloyd Peers is one of the true leaders within the squad, giving him the captain's armband for this game is a natural progression for him."

Wales U20: Liam Williams (Llanelli); Iolo Evans (Scarlets / Llanelli) Owen Williams (Blues / Cardiff), Lewis Robling (Dragons / Newport), Dale Ford (Scarlets / Llanelli); Steve Shingler (London Irish), Lewis Jones (Blues / Pontypridd); Rhodri Jones (Scarlets / Llanelli), Kirby Myhill (Scarlets / Llanelli), WillGriff John (Blues/ Pontypridd), Lloyd Peers (capt, Ospreys/ Bridgend), Cory Hill (Blues / Pontypridd), Edward Siggery (Pontypridd), Thomas Young (Blues / Cardiff), Owen Sheppeard (Blues / Pontypridd).Replacements: Jamie Sollis (Dragons / Cross Keys), WillTaylor (Ospreys / Swansea), Macauley Cook (Blues / Cardiff), Luke Hamilton (Blues / Glamorgan), Jonathan Evans (Dragons / Newport), Matthew Morgan (Ospreys / Swansea), Ross Jones (Ospreys / Bridgend).Referee: Greg Garner (RFU).

Source and link - BBC website

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Wales U20 to face NZ Empty Re: Wales U20 to face NZ

Post by wales606 Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Seems like they wont be challenging this game then - Resting their key players, Morgan, Cook etc.

Its a pity as they are the only ones in the pool that could put up a decent challenge to NZ, although I doubt they could win, clearly they think the same.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:15 pm

Does seem to be that approach. I'm surprised Morgan is on the bench for this along with Jon Evans.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:20 pm

I remember 2003 and the re-emergence of Shane Williams. I hope they play them the video tonight.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:21 pm

'Baby Blacks' sounds like a breed of Livestock.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:46 pm

they should go for the win, yes it wouldnt be easy but you dont just give up, i mean resting players such as morgan and cooke? unless they think morgan will be targeted?

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:47 pm

I could be wrong, but does the structure of the tournament not mean they are forced to go for the win? I don't get it.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:50 pm

The best laid planks of lice and hens.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:51 pm

I'll say nothing more if we do better than expected but this looks like an awful tactic in advance for a World Championship game. Testing new faces and combinations is for the warm-ups, regardless of this not being senior level.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:54 pm

I actually agree with Morgan being put on the bench for this one, NZ would just target him much more effectively then Argentina did. Shingler is a very, very good 10 and I would argue that whilst he doesn't have the breaking ability of Morgan he has better game management and that'll be needed.

Be interesting to see how we get on without starting with Hamilton though, he was key for us against Argentina.

Pretty happy with this team, perhaps not our strongest, but I still think we can give this a fair go. With such a short turnaround between matches it was inevitable there'd be a fair few changes.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:54 pm

Steven Shingler over Matthew Morgan may be a tactical selection. Better defensively and plays a more conservative game plan.

Cook not playing is a surprise, maybe its an injury? even a niggle he may be rested, as wales should progress well whether they win this or not.

The BAB's look phenominally good though so any result other than 60 points as Italy conceded isn't shameful.

But it would be wonderful to get a win.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Not surprised Matthew Morgan makes way for Shingler. It will be defensively a much tougher task and I would have expected the BB's to have attacked through the 10 channel. Shingler will make that task much tougher and is in his own right a very good 10.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Can't seem to find anything on the IRB JWC site, but in previous competitions there were rules regarding squad rotation and you had to rotate the players. If that is still the case this seems to be the better of the remaining 2 matches to do it in and then go for the big win against Italy to secure the 4th berth for the Semi-finals as best runners-up out of the 3 groups
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:04 pm

Ok, having had a brief rethink, Shingler may or may not be a tactical entry. He was Mr Consistant for Llanelli and the Scarlets whenever they gave him time last season and one way to beat the odds is undoubtedly to spring the unexpected on the opposition. I recall France pulling it off against us when they picked Benoit Baby at stand-off in 2009. If by some chance we stun the BB's early Morgan can come on against a slightly more drained side in the second half.

But a complete reshuffle shouldn't be on the cards. Cook should still lead the troops, Eli Walker should still be in there and Liam Williams should still be on the wing among others.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:16 pm

I would have thought that Liam Williams who is ultra quick at FB and Shingler who whilst not having the natural attacking flair of Morgan is still no slouch, and is a much better organiser and defender than Morgan. So it appears Mr Webster has made the right call in that respect.

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:33 pm

I am pretty happy with Richard Websters choices. Lets hope its a good game...

Most importantly .... Any news on the coverage ?????

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:55 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:maesteg - https://www.606v2.com/t6249-penfro-s-tv-guide-for-the-next-few-days-updated-monday-13-06-2011-1343

Penfro updated this today, tis live in S4C tomorrow.

Diolch mate

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:03 pm

"'Baby Blacks' sounds like a breed of Livestock."

It is Glas...it is... 2011 batch has just been released... currently being monitored...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Looks aggressive too...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:06 pm

May well win best in show...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales U20 to face NZ Empty Wales v Baby Blacks

Post by mckay1402 Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Having watched the highlights on the IRB page I would say that the Baby blacks perhaps don't look as clinical as previous incarnations. That said Wales will have to be at top level to get a sniff but they are definitely in with a shout. They looked very good against Argentina.

I find it interesting that Matthew Morgan has been rested for this game. Maybe a more territory based tactic with Shingler at Fly Half or maybe Webster thinks he would be a massive target for the Blacks. He seems like the kind of player who would enjoy being targetted and could be an impact player to come off the bench and hopefully find holes in the NZ defence. Will be a very interesting game if Wales don't get intimidated early doors.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:54 pm

mckay - just a warning to say I'm going to merge this with the other thread already open about the U20's Wales v NZ match thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:05 pm

ha thanks Hobo, that really confused me seeing my original post halfway down the thread.

mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down