The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books - Recommendations

+50
ONETWOFOREVER
MidnightToker
TheMackemMawler
CJB
Cyril
teassoc
compelling and rich
Smirnoffpriest
kingjohn7
President Trump
Celtic Warrior
Fists of Fury
goodwalkspoiled
Gregers
Dass
Hoggy_Bear
magicratbooks
noleisthebest
Cari
CaledonianCraig
eirebilly
dummy_half
Doon the Water
Il Gialloblu
AquaArab
ADMIN
GG
Ramilas1
MR. scotland27
Scottrf
Luke
Cheesehead United
calamity jane
gab
McLaren
Mad for Chelsea
cats_r_cool
Pr4wn
kickingpigeons26
randy-poffo
Marky
Jamson
Kramxel
Bleausardv2
davidl1061
Sway
LondonJonnyO
David Tails
Adam D
John From London Town
54 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Books - Recommendations Empty Books - Recommendations

Post by John From London Town Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:00 am

I'm currently reading both the Keith Richards autobiography & also Brian Keenan's book 'An Evil Cradling'.

If anyone has read any masterpiece, please share on here as I'm always on the look out for a good book. Thanks.
John From London Town
John From London Town

http://prosnookerblog.com/2010/01/01/john-mcbrides-6-red-diary-p

Back to top Go down

Books - Recommendations Empty Re: Books - Recommendations

Post by Adam D Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:02 am

I really liked Rogue Trader by Nick Leeson.

We all know how it ends, but the book makes him look sympathetic and you kind of want him to get away with things (even though you know he doesnt already)

Another book I couldnt put down recently was World War Z which is a series of stories from the survivors of a zombie apocolypse. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war_z)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by John From London Town Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:05 am

Hobo wrote:I really liked Rogue Trader by Nick Leeson.

We all know how it ends, but the book makes him look sympathetic and you kind of want him to get away with things (even though you know he doesnt already)

Another book I couldnt put down recently was World War Z which is a series of stories from the survivors of a zombie apocolypse. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war_z)
I read the Nick Lesson book Hobo, '88888' eh????
I haven't read World War Z, tho might have a nose. Thanks.
Have you read 'Its not about the bike', by Lance Armstrong or 'Addicted' by Tony Adams? There's a couple of good books there that I can thing of off the top of my head.
John From London Town
John From London Town

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:09 am

It really depends on the style of books that you enjoy.

I have read all of Lee Childs Jack Reacher series. Reacher is an ex Major of the Military Police and drifts around America managing to get himself in trouble. He then deals with the situation the way only an ex-MP Major can.

One of my favourite books is Intensity by Dean Koontz.

I would also recommend Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

It really does depend on your taste in books.

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:09 am

Another entertaining read if you like your auto-b's is "Have a nice day" which is a autobiography of Mick Foley who was a wrestler with the WWE/F.

Its very funny and a real insight into the way wrestlers live. I am sure there are better wrestlers books, but this is the only one I have read.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:12 am

Fatherland by Robert Harris is a brilliant read.

It's about what would happen if Hitler had stayed in power.

The film was awful though.

Back to top Go down

Post by John From London Town Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:20 am

Thanks so far guy's.

I agree, it does depend on what you like to read. More often than not for me it is factual books. Forever Lost, Forever Gone by Paddy Joe Hill, one of the Birmingham 6, is very, very good. Tho I'm not a political man myself.
I always find a good book is always too short. I also recently finished Alan Sugar's auto. Which was good to be fair. His dealings with how he built his 'empire', Terry Venables & George Graham are very interesting & gives you a good insight into what went on.
Chris Evans first book was good, tho his second book 'fell' off a bit near the end.
However, please share on here because as said, I'm always interested in a good read. Smile
John From London Town
John From London Town

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:33 am

I've read a few auto-biographies in my time.

Slash and Anthony Kiedis are good reads. I really would recommend Slash's one. It's a very interesting read.

Frankie Boyles was okay but nothing special.

Oh and I read one about Dave Grohl which isn't so much an auto-biography; it seems to chronical a lot of the bands he is in and how he rose through the ranks.

David Tails

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:38 am

King Beer wrote:Fatherland by Robert Harris is a brilliant read.

It's about what would happen if Hitler had stayed in power.

The film was awful though.

On that basis also read the Man in the High Castle.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:43 am

Is that by Harris?

A fair Cop is a good read. It's about a copper who gets sent down and how he tries to kill himself because of being a copper surrounded by cons. Really compelling.

Back to top Go down

Post by John From London Town Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:53 am

I've read both Slash and Anthony Kiedis books, tho I preferred Scar Tissue funny enough. Probably because I'm a horny B. Rolling Eyes
Try Motley Crus's book, mental that is! Full of debauchery, genuine.
That Fair cop sounds interesting. I've also heard that Matthew Hoggards & Herchelle Gibbs books are interesting. Anyone read either of them?

Last edited by John From London Town on Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
John From London Town
John From London Town

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:54 am

No.

Man in the High Castle is by Philip K Dick...

It's a view of the post WW2 era should the Axis have developed the nuclear warhead first and used it. The US is split between the germans and the japanese and it's told from the point of view of a jew living in the japanese controlled area as well as an american who is embracing the japanese culture fully.

It's very odd towards the end but conveys an interesting assimilation of beliefs as well as the fear of being different from the ruling junta.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Feb 2011, 11:08 am

I'll check it out..

Tom Clancy - Rainbow Six is brilliant.

John FLT, have you read The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx?

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Thu 10 Feb 2011, 11:13 am

Can I just point out that I'm loving how active the Books section is this morning?? thumbsup

I found out yesterday that my bosses wife is a character in a book written by a local author. The author is Stuart Macbride and he writes crime fiction. Not the greatest author to be honest, but I like the fact that the books are set here. It helps you picture exactly what is happening.

David Tails

Back to top Go down

Post by John From London Town Thu 10 Feb 2011, 12:02 pm

King Beer wrote:I'll check it out..

Tom Clancy - Rainbow Six is brilliant.

John FLT, have you read The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx?
Agreed David Tails..

Hi King Beer, I read that (The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx) book in about 3 sittings.
John From London Town
John From London Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Feb 2011, 12:12 pm

I take it you enjoyed it?

I thought it was brilliant!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sway Thu 10 Feb 2011, 6:04 pm

John, I'd recommennd 2 books by an author called James Frey, the first book is titled "A million little pieces" and is about a guy going into rehab, the second is titled "Bright shiny morning" and follows the lives of a diverse group of characters (some connected, some not) living in L.A.

Also, "Mr Nice" is a great book about the life & times of former drug smuggler Howard Marks (I think it's just been turned into a film starring Rhys Iffans)

And seeing as how you like (auto)Biographies, Give Michael Caine's "From the Elephant to Hollywood" a try, packed full of great annecdotes about the Hollywood elite from past & present and a great read
thumbsup

Sway

Back to top Go down

Post by John From London Town Thu 10 Feb 2011, 6:14 pm

Thanks Sway, good man, I appreciate it. thumbsup

I've already read Mr. Nice, twice. An interesting read. I don't know the others tho I've heard of Michael Caine's.

Hi King Beer. Yeah I did enjoy that, fast paced & easy to read.
Thanks again,
JFLT
John From London Town
John From London Town

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Fri 11 Feb 2011, 9:10 am

Well on the back of this thread I went out last night and bought Fatherland. If it's bad ZB, I'm blaming you!

I also picked up The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie. I'm loving all things Hugh Laurie related at the moment. thumbsup

David Tails

Back to top Go down

Post by John From London Town Fri 11 Feb 2011, 9:31 am

David Tails wrote:Well on the back of this thread I went out last night and bought Fatherland. If it's bad ZB, I'm blaming you!

I also picked up The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie. I'm loving all things Hugh Laurie related at the moment. thumbsup
Feedback on here if you don't mind David how you get on with it please.
John From London Town
John From London Town

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Fri 11 Feb 2011, 9:34 am

John From London Town wrote:
David Tails wrote:Well on the back of this thread I went out last night and bought Fatherland. If it's bad ZB, I'm blaming you!

Feedback on here if you don't mind David how you get on with it please.

No worries John. Might take me a while...I have a pile of books to get through. Buying books is my current addiction. I go in for one book and end up coming out with 4.

As soon as I get through them, I'll let you know thumbsup

David Tails

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Mon 14 Feb 2011, 3:50 pm

I love Jack Reacher as a character but find if I read too many they all seem to merge in to one. I have just finished reading Mick Foleys hardcore diaries and quite enjoyed it gonna get the others he has written. My current one is Richard Attenboroughs and have to say it is very good

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 14 Feb 2011, 4:02 pm

I have been reading this thread again and can I just say that this thread alone epitomises 606v2.

Can you imagine a book section on not606? Recommendations? have you seen this months Razzle?

Well done all, for showing that there are posters from 606 who have more than half a brain cell.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Mon 14 Feb 2011, 4:48 pm

I am also a massive fan of Trudi Canavan if you like fantasy, she has written 3 excellent series of books that I would recommend to anyone, the first 2 are linked and the third is a stand alone trilogy

The Black Magicians Trilogy
Traitor Spy Trilogy
Age of the Five

I also enjoy reading Karen Millar who has written an excellent series of books starting woth the Kingmaker Kingbreaker duo

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Books - Recommendations Empty Jo Nesbo

Post by Bleausardv2 Sun 20 Feb 2011, 10:02 am

I'm an avid reader and like quite a variety of authors/topics from history through comedy (very much like Pratchett for example, but also Anthony Beevor - Stalingrad is a masterpiece even if it is a depressing subject). Currently in the list of fiction favourites are Jo Nesbo's books about Harry Hole, a very flawed but brillaint detective based in Oslo. Definitely worth a try although they are probably best read in order - start with Redbreast and work your way through - quite dark but gripping (although, as has already been pointed out, taste in books is very personal!).
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramxel Thu 24 Feb 2011, 10:04 am

I've read all the fiction works of Clive Cussler and Matthew Riley and eagerly awaiting their next releases -- do you know of any similar authors, i could get my teeth into?

Kramxel

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Thu 24 Feb 2011, 10:12 am

I've only read one Clive Cussler novel. It was the best looking thing int he hospital shop when i was stuck there for a while.

I believe it was The Navigator? Might be wrong. It was a reasonable story.

Not sure of anyone similar to recommend I'm afraid.

David Tails

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamson Fri 25 Feb 2011, 4:11 am

Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges

Jamson

Back to top Go down

Post by John From London Town Fri 25 Feb 2011, 9:11 am

Hi Everyone,
I finished Brian Keenan's book 'An Evil Cradling' last night. Powerful stuff, has to be said.
The reason I bought the book was that I wanted to see if Brian Keenan told us about where his mind took him while he was being held hostage. He does this page after page so I wasn't disappointed. It is amazing how strong our minds are.
There is some ‘deep stuff’ in this book, as I’m sure you can imagine. It’s not what I would call ‘unputdownable’ however it is very interesting all the same. He also tells us about his relationship with his captors, where there were many different ones, how they communicated & he had to wear a blindfold any time they walked into his cell & as far as his captors were concerned, his blindfold was kept on all the time. His relationship with John McCarthy I believe, kept him sane, & vice-versa. It’s also amazing the comradeship they built together & both shared while being kept captive. What they done, how they overcome their own personal needs in front of each other.

I’m still reading Keith Richards autobiography & I started Aron Ralston’s’ book “Between a Rock & a Hard place’ last night after I finished the above book. It’s been sitting on my bookshelf for the past 5 years & seeing as there is a film being released about this book, called 127 hours, I want to read the book before I get to see the film.

It’s also good to see this thread has started to gather momentum. I’ll certainly do my best to help this thread along too.

Good Luck to you All,

John
John From London Town
John From London Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Fri 25 Feb 2011, 11:47 am

I've just ordered "The Hills are stuffed with Swedish girls".

Several 5* reviews here (on their website funnily enough) http://www.the-hills-are-stuffed-with-swedish-girls.com/reviews.html

And this is the story. Cost £6.10 from their site, I paid £6.39 on Amazon as I was buying other things from there anyway.

Imagine you've just been binned by the love of your life. Your best friend suggests a trip in the beautiful wilds of the Scottish Highlands. He says there are lots of stunning Swedish girls there and for a moment it sounds like a great way to lose your blues. You ask your uptight, upper class flatmate along - God knows he needs to chill out. And you daren't leave the cat unsupervised, so he comes too.

Problem is, your best friend is a certifiable lunatic. When he's not obsessing over mythically hot European lovelies, he's getting roaring drunk or interfering with wildlife. And winding your flatmate up so tight you could twang him.

What's going to happen when you do meet some girls? How much damage can be done on a distillery tour? Will the bickering drive you completely mad? Will a gamekeeper shoot you? Why do your best friends wind you up the most? Just how heavy can Scottish rain get?

Perhaps most importantly of all, will anyone apart from the cat actually get a shag?

There's only one way to find out. Pack your bag, lace up your boots and head for the hills with the boys...

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Tue 08 Mar 2011, 6:14 pm

Have just finished said book, The Hills are stuffed with Swedish girls.

It's brilliant. Nothing like what I thought it would be, it's probably the only book i'll ever read that had me laughing out loud at some points and with "something in my eye" at other points. From the blurb on the back which I posted above, you get the impression it is a mucky book, but while some of the humour is crude, and some parts of this book are rather odd, the book as a whole is simply superb and I thoroughly recommend it, even to anyone who rarely reads novels (like myself).

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 08 Mar 2011, 7:00 pm

Hobo wrote:I really liked Rogue Trader by Nick Leeson.

Have you read The Zombie survival Guide by max brooks hobo,i thought it was a a better read than world war Z.

Also Brethren by Robyn Young is an excerlent book abou the Knights Templer and the crussades.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by kickingpigeons26 Mon 21 Mar 2011, 5:21 pm

I've never heard of a lot of these books so will check some of them out thank you!!

I recently read Friends Like These by Danny Wallace..... hilarious, insightful and will make you want to go back and remember all the good things/people from your past! I have been working through Danny Wallace's books, he doesn't have too many but they have all been brilliant! (only a couple left to read I think)
kickingpigeons26
kickingpigeons26

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 11:19 pm

Dont know if anyone has mentioned it yet but The Kite Runner is a novel by Khaled Hosseini and is absolutely amazing.
Posted a brief synopsis taken from wikipedia below.
The Kite Runner tells the story of Amir, a young boy from the Wazir Akbar Khan district of Kabul, who befriends Hassan, the son of his father's Hazara servant. The story is set against a backdrop of tumultuous events, from the fall of Afghanistan's monarchy through the Soviet invasion, the mass exodus of refugees to Pakistan and the United States, and the rise of the Taliban regime.

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 01 Apr 2011, 9:17 am

I'd certainly recommend The Constant Gardener by John Le Carre, was absolutely superb.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 01 Apr 2011, 9:20 am

I recently read this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/jan/31/kill-your-friends-review

(Kill your friends by john niven)

Quite good - very explicit, about a Simon Cowell esque music producer in the late 80's. Very funny.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Sat 02 Apr 2011, 2:01 pm

David1061, I too loved The Kite Runner. Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author? Excellent read as well.

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Apr 2011, 7:40 pm

From what I've read recently I'd recommend books by Martina Cole, Ian Rankin, P G Wodehouse, Joseph O'Neill and from over the years Patricia Highsmith, Robert Ludlum, Agatha Christie, James Ellroy, Michael Moorcock, Lawrence Block, Philip Marlowe & Ben Elton.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 03 Apr 2011, 1:33 am

Ah PG Wodehouse! To quote Stephen Fry: "You don't analyse such sunlit perfection, you just bask in its warmth and splendour"

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Apr 2011, 3:30 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Ah PG Wodehouse! To quote Stephen Fry: "You don't analyse such sunlit perfection, you just bask in its warmth and splendour"

Exactly, I couldn't put it better myself!!

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 Apr 2011, 12:42 am

Hobo

If you liked Rogue Trader then you might like Andrew Ross Sorkins "Too Big to Fail".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Too-Big-Fail-Inside-Battle/dp/1846142385

I have not read Rogue Trader and would not normally read this sort of thing but actually the guy has somehow managed to turn the mind numbing world of banking into a very readable story. It is much more about the people and events of the crisis rather than the technicalities.

Although you soon release it is more about the people than the markets could ever be.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Fri 08 Apr 2011, 9:18 pm

would second sohotnots shout about martina cole ive read every 1 of her books and theyr all realy good reads.
2 others that spring to mind that ive read in the past are Geoff Thompson,s autobiography and the guvnor ..the guvnor is a good read but not sure it gives all the facts but good read all the same and geoffs book is realy good ..a bouncer that admits hes scared of fighting go figure:)

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by John From London Town Mon 11 Apr 2011, 10:11 am

I bought 'Shake Hands with the Devil' the week-end, by Lieutenant-General Roméo Dallaire about his time spent in Rwanada. I'd say it will be pretty hard hitting but I'm loking forward to reading it.

I also bought 'Harte' by Mickey Harte, the Tyrone Gaelic Football Manager. Good guy him.

I still haven't finished Aron Ralston's between a rock & a hard place. I personally find it slow going, so it'll be the type of book that I pick up now & again.

Has anyone read 'Shake Hands with the Devil?' I love this quote by Lieutenant-General Roméo Dallaire taken from the back of the book "I know there is a God, because in Rwanda I shook hands with the devil. I have seen him, I have smelled him & I have touched him. I know the devil exists & therefore I know there is a God".

Proper speak that if you ask me.
John From London Town
John From London Town

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Wed 13 Apr 2011, 1:59 pm

This thread and the 'what are you reading' one are two of my favourites on here (though not too good for my bank balance - damn you 'one click' Amazon account)

Anyway I'm a big fan of the 'private investigator' genre. From old school like Raymond Chandler to current writers like Sara Paretsky and Dennis Lehane. But I've recently caught on to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files about a PI in Chicago who also happens to be a wizard. And they're a great series of books. I've never seen the TV show based on the books so can't compare them, but for a bit of light reading the books are great fun.

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Wed 13 Apr 2011, 2:05 pm

I must admit - these threads have cost me a bit too!

I'm currently reading Fatherland as recommended on here and have also bought World War Z which I'll ge ton to at some stage.

Having read The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie I would definitely recommend it.

David Tails

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesehead United Wed 13 Apr 2011, 2:09 pm

I love reading horror and suspense genre, IMO there's no-one better at this than Stephen King. My favourites being The Dark Half, The Shining and I.T

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Wed 13 Apr 2011, 2:12 pm

I've really been getting in to Dean Koontz recently. What The Night Knows is a good book.

David Tails

Back to top Go down

Books - Recommendations Empty Book - Recommendations

Post by Luke Thu 14 Apr 2011, 2:24 am

REAL LIFE

MAX ARTHUR - FORGOTTEN VOICES OF THE GREAT WAR

talking through of the major events in the 1st world war, by letters and interviews
with the people who where there.

DONALD R MORRIS - WASHING OF THE SPEARS

Charting the rise, domination, Isandhlwana & Rorke's drift battles, and the fall
of the Zulu's

HORROR

JAMES HERBERT - NOBODY TRUE

A man is murdered while spirit is having an out of body experince, we then follow
the spirit's travelling, while trying to find the murderer.

THRILLERS

LUIS MIGUEL ROCHA - THE LAST POPE and THE HOLY ASSASSIN

Follow the intrigue, thrills and power struggle in and out of the Vatican, they
do follow on in the order i put at top.

STIEG LARSSON - MILLENNIUM TRIOLOGY
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE
THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNETS NEST

Slowly paced, beautifully told story's.

FANTASY

DAVID GEMMELL - early stuff like THE DRENANI TALES, ANY ABOUT DRUSS,
WAYLANDER, SKILGALLON.

Action fantasy, about warriors who had swords, axes etc, battle evil etc
but i like these kinds of books.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Thu 14 Apr 2011, 8:12 am

Good shout on the Millennium Trilogy.

Have you seen any of the movies?

David Tails

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 14 Apr 2011, 11:04 am

Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer. Nothing comes close.

The millenium trilogy was good.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next