The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Season

+26
yappysnap
nathan
Sgt_Pooly
Heaf
B91212
Rugby Fan
broadlandboy
Hazel Sapling
doctor_grey
propdavid_london
Scottrf
XR
eirebilly
hugehandoff
LuvSports!
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
jimbopip
carpet baboon
Exiledinborders
TightHEAD
Geordie
Poorfour
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Gooseberry
screamingaddabs
30 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Season Empty Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Season

Post by Welly Thu 15 Jun 2017, 12:57 pm

Back Room
CEO: Simon Cohen
Head of Rugby operations: Gled Glynn

1st Team
Head Coach: Matt O'Connor
Scrum Coach: Boris Stankovich
Forwards coach:
Backs Coach: Geordan Murphy

2017/18 Squad: (Sorted alphabetically)
Props: Bateman, Beaumann. Cilliers, Cole, Genge, Mulipola, Rizzo, Traynor
Hooker: Kerr, Polota-Nau, McGuigan, Thacker, Youngs,
Lock: Barrow, Fitzgerald, Kitchener, Wells
Back Row:Evans, Hamilton, Kalamafoni, Mapapalangi, McCaffrey, O'Connor, Ryan, Williams
Scrum Half: Harrison, Youngs
Fly half: G.Ford, J.Ford
Centre: Catchpole, Malouf, Owens, Smith, Toomua, Tuilagi,
Wing/Full Back: Brady, Holmes, Tait, Thompstone, Veainu,

Development Squad
Props: Betts, Grahamslaw, Heyes, Traynor
Hooker: Mahoney
Locks: Lewis, Maksymiw
Back Row: Reffell, Tuilagi
Scrum Half: White, Simmons
Fly Half: Hardwick,
Centre: Thacker,
Wing/Full Back: J.Olowofela, Worth

Leavers: Brugnara (N/A), Bryant (Jersey), Yawayawa (Glasgow)
Joiners: Grahamslaw, Hardwick, Heyes, Reffell, Traynor,

European Pool 4:
Castres
Leicester Tigers
Munster
Racing

Last edited by Welly on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 6:37 pm; edited 7 times in total

Welly

Back to top Go down

Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Season Empty Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Season

Post by Welly Thu 15 Jun 2017, 1:05 pm

For me the team is looking good so far.
Forwards
Fine with the tight 5 personally, Kitchener and Fitz need big season though.
I personally think Mauger under-powered our back row too much and it was by far our biggest problem, it was built with an eye on super rugby attack play instead of NH bad weather play.
I like Ryan as a signing.
McCaffrey and O'Connor are too similar in terms of style BOC prob offers more in turnovers and i see the logic in letting McCaffrey go personally.
Either need a big ball carrying 8 OR another proper aggressive Flanker like Ryan and play BOC at 8 more.

Backs IMO we are carrying too many backs who are either not up to it OR not good value.
I would like to see White, Thacker, Worth getting some game time esp Worth who would be very handy to cover 10,12,13,15 and then look to spend the left over cap in hopefully getting 2 top players and a project type signing.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 15 Jun 2017, 2:24 pm

Fast typing has created some typos (McGugian and Meromz).

Unless Toomua and Manu are fit, the outside backs really do look a bit light on quality.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 15 Jun 2017, 4:00 pm

If we're shedding a forward to make cap for another 8 then I'd prefer it to be Fitzgerald than McCaffery. I'd rather see Williams covering lock from time to time than Fitzgerald covering 6. Harry Wells has shown himself ready for game time too. We do now have Ryan, Locky and BOC covering broadly the same positions though so I can understand the decision.

Mapapalangi looks like he'd be a useful addition as a project. He's a big lad, who's mobile in defence and has some ability in the line-out. He's played lock before as well.

Agreed on the backs. Worth, Thacker and White are ready for game time. So is Ben Betts in the forwards. Two big signings are still needed though. Marty McKenzie and a quality centre (Fekitoa seems unlikely) would be ideal.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 17 Jun 2017, 4:57 pm

Agree with a lot of this. Fitz and McCaffery the most likely sacrifices.

Priorities are;

1. Utility back nerds to cover majority of backline - ideally one of the McKenzies  (most likely Marty)
2. Tough hard running centre - could be Fekitoa but there are cheaper options out there and possibly EQ
3. Project 8 - big hard with some skills, a diamond in need of polishing Mapapalangi could fit this spot and as noted helpfully covers lock as well.
4. Development level prop - always worth keeping an eye out for, particularly if they have Championship level experience

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 17 Jun 2017, 5:25 pm

There's no rumours at all about Fitz leaving. I was just stating my view that I'd prefer to keep Locky and give Harry Wells more game time. Especially if Mapapalangi could cover lock too. Plus Mike Williams being a very useful lock.

I rate Fitz but he needs to play as a lock. When he's moved to flank the pack has been less balanced and he has been less effective. That's not his fault IMO, more a case of poor back row balance which Ryan, Kalamafoni + another 8 should fix. I think playing 6 in sides without any of Barrow, Slater, Mike Williams or Mulipola due to injury really wore Fitz out. His strength in attack is as a support player, in his first season he was excellent at being on forward runners shoulders either for an offload or to secure quick ruck ball. With all those carriers injured he ended up doing a lot of head down, straight into contact carrying which isn't his strength. He looked knackered this season and taking the brunt of the pack lacking ball carriers did that too him IMO.

Neither have played poorly enough to deserve to be cut, but it seems MOC views Locky as surplus to requirements. I'd prefer to lose others before McCaffery, if he won't get game time under MOC then staying is pointless for both parties sadly.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 17 Jun 2017, 5:29 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
1. Utility back nerds to cover majority of backline - ideally one of the McKenzies  (most likely Marty)
2. Tough hard running centre - could be Fekitoa but there are cheaper options out there and possibly EQ
3. Project 8 - big hard with some skills, a diamond in need of polishing Mapapalangi could fit this spot and as noted helpfully covers lock as well.
4. Development level prop - always worth keeping an eye out for, particularly if they have Championship level experience

If we are cutting the number of players rumoured then I'd hope to see another strong 8 come in on top of that - Mafi would be a good signing IF the coaches can get him working better in NH rugby than he did for Bath.

Re the development prop... I'd like to see Betts promoted. He's good enough to be 4th choice TH and giving him a senior contract now could be an investment that keeps him at the club long enough to establish himself in senior rugby.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 17 Jun 2017, 5:52 pm

Backrow options at this point confirmed for next season.

6. Williams, Ryan
7. O'Connor, Evans, Thacker 
8. Kalamafoni, Hamilton 

It's not that we are massively short on options with limited international call ups expected. We've got some younger guys that can cover as well in LV Cup periods. Mafi would be great but that's a cherry on top of the cake signing. Much more important to flesh out the backline first.

Betts does look a good prospect, hopefully we can get him some Championship loan time next season to help his development. Ditto Hills.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 17 Jun 2017, 6:20 pm

It looks like Thacker will be at hooker mostly next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan becomes first choice 7 given MOC seems to want a very physical pack.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 18 Jun 2017, 12:33 am

I don't think MOC is that keen on Williams. He benched him in favour of Fitz who isn't an effective 6. Whether we'll see him more at lock or whether we'll see Ryan moving between 6 and 7 on a horses for courses type thing next season will tell. Thacker was happily deployed by Mauger and MOC at 7 and it makes sense to deploy him at both positions until the coaches decide where he's best and sign another hooker he's a good option to have.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 18 Jun 2017, 11:35 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:I don't think MOC is that keen on Williams. He benched him in favour of Fitz who isn't an effective 6. Whether we'll see him more at lock or whether we'll see Ryan moving between 6 and 7 on a horses for courses type thing next season will tell. Thacker was happily deployed by Mauger and MOC at 7 and it makes sense to deploy him at both positions until the coaches decide where he's best and sign another hooker he's a good option to have.

If you look at how it went
Fitzgerald V Bath
Williams V Falcons
Williams V Worcester
Williams V Sale
Fitzgerald V Wasps
I think MOC was just rotating players TBH.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 18 Jun 2017, 12:48 pm

I think he gambled on the weather as much as rotated players against Wasps to be honest. I think Williams might be used as impact from the bench where he can cover 4/5/6 in the big games next season. Will allow us to either feature another 7 or big ball carrier on the bench.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 20 Jun 2017, 9:02 am

From the email I received (not seen anything else online yet):

As a season ticket holder, we wanted you to be among the first to know that JP Pietersen is to leave Welford Road as head coach Matt O'Connor continues to shape the Leicester Tigers squad for next season.
South Africa international winger Pietersen, who turns 31 in July, joined Tigers last summer and made 14 starts and one appearance from the bench in the 2016/17 campaign, scoring three tries.
Tigers chief executive Simon Cohen said: "We are grateful for the contribution that JP Pietersen has made in his time here.
"His departure allows Matt O'Connor a sum within the salary cap for next year and the year after to sign players that fit his vision for the squad and match his playing philosophy for the Tigers.
"Recruitment is a year-round task. We have several players we are targeting who would add considerable value to the group."

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 20 Jun 2017, 4:09 pm

With Gareth Owen signing gives our A league team a bit more depth IMO.
I'm hoping we are looking a A league/ AWC cup team of:
1) Rizzo
2) Thacker
3) Cillier/Bateman
4) Wells
5) Fitzgerald
6) Hamilton
7) Evans
8) Mapapalangi (If it happens)
9) Harrison
10) Ford
11) Catchpole (If he is staying)
12) Owen
13) Thacker
14) Holmes
15) Worth

16) Mahoney
17) Hills
18) Betts
19) Maksymiw
20) Tuilagi/Reffell
21) White
22) Hardwick
23) Olowofela/Simmons/?

Like the look of that mix TBH.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 30 Jun 2017, 12:56 pm

Suppose the best thing about Owen and Malouf is that they can cover more positions.
Owen - 10,11,12,13,14,15
Malouf - 6,7,11,12,13,14 (Granted don't see him covering 6 or 7)

I like the versatility MOC is going for when it comes to depth signings.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 30 Jun 2017, 5:25 pm

Look like good squad signings to me. The Aussie lad looks to have a good blend of attributes and could be a good surprise signing. Decent business but I still have fingers crossed we're going to get Marty Mckenzie.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 02 Jul 2017, 7:24 pm

I agree that MOC is being intelligent with his squad signings. Malouf looks like a big unit with some pace to burn so he should replace Jack Roberts well as a squad options at 13.

If Mapapalangi can be be added then he can cover 4, 5, 6 and 8 if needed too. Good options to have.

Rumours that we may be signing Chris Baumann as cover whilst Cole is on his rest period after the Lions. That would be another solid signing given Baumann can also cover hooker. The make-up of the props currently hinges on how Logo can recover and which side of the scrum he will predominantly play on.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Mon 03 Jul 2017, 2:03 pm

McCaffrey confirmed gone on BBC now.

Out of interest, what is our % England qualified players? We seem to be buying a lot of foreign talent in, but I guess they are replacing foreign talent in the main. I hope the home grown guys are given the opportunity to progress under MOC. In that respect it's nice to get Ford back!
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 03 Jul 2017, 2:42 pm

Such a shame to see McCaffrey go. He has been fantastic in a Tigers shirt, especially given he has played out of position a lot of the time. I've lost count of the number of vital turnovers he made. His link play has also been very strong as well. The backrow balance needs readdressing so a harsh decision was likely to come. Unless a suitable replacement can be found for him then I fear this decision could bite us on the a*** when injuries hit.

Rumour is that Lions flanker Cyle Brink is going to be coming in at McCaffrey's expense. Brink is a physical blindside and talented so he could be a good acquisition with how MOC is moulding his back row.

Either a very talented, physical young flanker (i.e. another Matera who sticks around longer which could be Brink) or a step-up on Kalamafoni at 8 needs to come in to justify the tough decision in my eyes.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 03 Jul 2017, 3:19 pm

Do you not feel tehe squad is shaping up to be a bit too "squady" with an eye on games where the first team is missing versus having the sort of first 15 that will win finals? 
Utility backs is very Australian and its nice to see they will be stacked with footballers, but hows that going to go down over an English winter season? As it stands they look short on out and out try scoring wingers to me as well. If those rumours come off that less of a thing of course, but the sounds of what been said about a year round process suggests that they arent getting all the players they want right now and/or are hedging their best a bit to see where they really need to pick up quality as the season progresses.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 03 Jul 2017, 5:37 pm

Most would argue the other way round, Gooseberry.

Even with Betham and JPP gone but yet to be replaced our backline could look like:

9.Youngs 10.G Ford 11.Holmes 12.Toomua 13.Manu 14.Thompstone 15.Veainu

It's hoped that Jonah Holmes can add the sort of pace our wingers have been missing recently. Even if he doesn't come off though that is still one hell of a backline if it fires. Getting them fit and firing is the issue.

1.Genge 2.Youngs 3.Cole 4.Barrow 5.Kitchener 6.Williams 7.Ryan 8.Kalamafoni

16.McGuigan 17.Rizzo 18.Mulipola 19.Slater 20.O'Connor

That pack is still missing a 'marquee 8' but the back row is much better balanced. In the tight 5 those players should be able to get a set-piece advantage against most and parity against the best. Again it relies on them being fit and firing though.

I like the versatility of the squad signings so far. How the squad looks come September will probably hinge on who replaces McCaffery in the back row (Brink?) and Betham/JPP in the back 3 (Marty Mckenzie?). If the right replacements can be found there then it could be a very healthy looking squad. It still looks a work in progress recruitment wise right now admittedly...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 03 Jul 2017, 6:19 pm

Lots of back room changes
Mainly
Barbour who comes back from being England rugby senior analyst.
and
Alex Martin comes back to work on S&C

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 03 Jul 2017, 7:43 pm

Both were/are well considered so good news.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 03 Jul 2017, 10:19 pm

The done deals so far I'm happy with. The rumoured in is more of a mixed bag. 

Marty Mckenzie would be ace.

The American prop/hooker is squad filler and he seems a big unit so could do a job and is worth a punt but not really anything to get excited about.

Kyle Brink looks like a smaller Hamilton. Can play across the backrow but mainly a 6, 15 and a half stone and 6 foot 3. Doesn't sound the physically imposing monster we want. 

I'm happy with the news on the backroom staff but would still like to see Marty Mckenzie plus another big unit in the backs and either Mapapalangi or a similar big unit in the backrow. We have tough utility backrow options in Ryan, Kalamafoni and Hamilton. If there's cap left after those three additions (and I doubt it) then see if there's another lunt worth taking in the front row alongside the American.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 04 Jul 2017, 11:04 am

Mapapalangi has signed Cohen confirmed it at a fans forum.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 04 Jul 2017, 12:59 pm

Welly wrote:Mapapalangi has signed Cohen confirmed it at a fans forum.

Good signing. Big, mobile and plays multiple positions. Can also jump in the lineout. Bit of a rough diamond.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 17 Jul 2017, 11:41 am

Hearing you've signed Damien McKenzie?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 17 Jul 2017, 11:47 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Hearing you've signed Damien McKenzie?

Rumours are doing the rounds - note however that he's contracted to the Chiefs until the end of Super Rugby in 2018, so wouldn't be available until the 2018/19 English season unless he managed to get a release
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 17 Jul 2017, 11:57 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Hearing you've signed Damien McKenzie?

Rumours are doing the rounds - note however that he's contracted to the Chiefs until the end of Super Rugby in 2018, so wouldn't be available until the 2018/19 English season unless he managed to get a release

Wouldn't be the first NZ player to get an early release.

From what i'm hearing this is extremely close to done.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 17 Jul 2017, 12:11 pm

Class act anyway, you'll have some threat on the counter with him and Veainu.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 17 Jul 2017, 1:02 pm

Quote from an established first team player at Tigers was that there's at least three new signings and we'd be "surprised". I doubt the player in question looks at rugby forums though so McKenzie might be the surprise.

Youngs, Ford, TV, Toomua, Manu, Thompstone, Mckenzie would be an electric backline.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 17 Jul 2017, 1:04 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Quote from an established first team player at Tigers was that there's at least three new signings and we'd be "surprised". I doubt the player in question looks at rugby forums though so McKenzie might be the surprise.

Youngs, Ford, TV, Toomua, Manu, Thompstone, Mckenzie would be an electric backline.

TBH signing "DMAC" would be a huge surprise even with these rumours being out.

Apprently we are after another winger for this season, a starting type signing.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 17 Jul 2017, 2:33 pm

What's the latest on Manu? Is he looking fit enough that he might actually play a material role this season?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 17 Jul 2017, 3:04 pm

Poorfour wrote:What's the latest on Manu? Is he looking fit enough that he might actually play a material role this season?

He's looking fit, MOC seems very hopeful.

Looking a lot leaner than he has been IMO.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 17 Jul 2017, 3:45 pm

Poorfour wrote:What's the latest on Manu? Is he looking fit enough that he might actually play a material role this season?

Mulipola, Toomua and Manu are all expected to be fit enough to play in the pre season friendlies. Very good news.

Welly, the rumoured players in would all be a surprise given what we expected at the start of the summer. Good options to be targeting though if we're signing another as yet unnamed winger I hope he's a beast as we need some more umph in that backline.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 17 Jul 2017, 4:14 pm

Damian McKenzie would be a perfect signing. Covers 10 and 15, can kick from range and offers another kicker and playmaker. On top of that he's just a genuinely enjoyable player to watch play rugby, in the professional era that's often overlooked but it's still something I like to see when the club I support are making big investments.

If Logo can get fit and stay fit then he'll be like a new signing. Not only that he'd be the sort of new signing we need given his carrying and excellent bench impact in big games, two things the forwards have been missing.

Slater getting back to form would be a huge boost to the tight 5 as well. At his best he'd be an ideal partner for Barrow and gives the whole side direction with his leadership.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 17 Jul 2017, 4:24 pm

1.Genge, Mulipola, Rizzo + Hills
2.Youngs, McGuigan, Thacker
3.Cole, Cilliers, Bateman + Betts
4.Barrow, Slater
5.Kitchener, Fitzgerald, Wells
6.Williams, Croft
7.Ryan, O'Connor, Evans
8.Kalamafoni, Hamilton, Mapapalangi

9.Youngs, Harrison, Kitto + White
10.G Ford, J Ford + Hardwick

11.Brady, Catchpole, Malouf
12.Toomua, Smith, Owen
13.Tuilagi, Tait, Thacker
14.Thomstone, Holmes
15.Veainu, Worth

Looking at that squad I'd say the rumoured players being looked at are exactly what's needed:

A big name back signing - preferably a 15 or centre. DMAC would certainly fit the bill. Especially as he could allow Toomua to stay at centre rather than cover 10.

Another strong winger. Hopefully the rumours of an international are true. Another winger with out and out pace to join Holmes and Malouf as squad additions would be good to see.

A versatile squad player in the front row. Baumann would be a low cost addition there.

Another option in the back row. Arno Botha I am not sold on at all but he has talent and is still young. I'm still interested in seeing Ed Milne brought back into the set-up when he finishes his studies.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 17 Jul 2017, 6:30 pm

Arno Botha could be a good signing. If we can get him on a one year deal with a second dependent on him playing x number of games (maybe work in a pay rise to try and get him cheap in the first season) then that'd be excellent. To be honest I think our backrow resources are pretty good. He'd potentially add to them but it's a risk. He's a big and dynamic unit that likes to strip the ball so in the depth of winter could be worth his weight in gold.

Agree re Slater. He's an international level player when fully fit, the problem is keeping him fully fit as he's had no luck whatsoever. Being able to rotate him Barrow and Kitch would give us a lot of strength in the engine room.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 17 Jul 2017, 6:58 pm

Yes a pay as you play kind of deal could work well with Botha. Or a short term contract for the start of the season with an option to extend. He is definitely talented but I'm unconvinced he's what we need.

Looking at the confirmed squad, Jono Kitto is currently an out of place name in a squad which has been trimmed. I honestly feel that Ben White is already a better player with the potential to be very good. With Simmons coming through as well I can't help but question whether he adds enough to justify a place.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 17 Jul 2017, 8:22 pm

I do think Kitto will be edged out over the next season and the  leave. We can loan out White and Simmons this season and then bring them back in for squad places the season after. Ben Youngs is going to be an international for years yet so well need them to compete.

I don't mind taking one year punts on a couple of players. As long as they aren't too expensive the likes of Botha who needs to repair his reputation post Ulster medical and the American front row who wants to make a name for himself in Europe. If they don't make it then they can be released next summer.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 19 Jul 2017, 11:16 am

Well ive backed you guys for the title this year...so you better not furious let me down...!
Laugh Yahoo

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 19 Jul 2017, 1:10 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Well ive backed you guys for the title this year...so you better not furious let me down...!
Laugh Yahoo

I'd have waited until we finished announcing our signings first Yappy. We've been linked with some good players but either missed out or they've not decided on their future yet. The squad is good at present but we need some more bodies in the backs. If the rumoured signings are true then the team could be sensational.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 19 Jul 2017, 2:17 pm

Im GF not Yappy Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 19 Jul 2017, 2:46 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Im GF not Yappy Wink

Sorry it's too humid. My brain isn't functioning properly.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 28 Jul 2017, 9:39 am

New kit looks good. Let's hope the Loughborough Uni boys can give it a winning start tonight.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 03 Aug 2017, 6:15 pm

1.Genge, Rizzo, Bateman, Traynor (short term), Hills
2.Youngs, McGuiigan, H Thacker, Baumann
3.Cole, Mulipola, Cilliers, Betts
4.Barrow, Fitzgerald
5.Kitchener, Wells
6.Williams, Ryan, Croft
7.O'Connor, Evans
8.Kalamafoni, Hamilton, Mapapalangi

9.Youngs, Harrison, Kitto
10.G Ford, J Ford

11.May, Brady, Catchpole
12.Toomua, Smith, Owens
13.Tuilagi, Tait, C Thacker
14.Thompstone, Holmes, Malouf
15.Veainu, Worth

Seems to be where options will stand after the next batch of signings are announced.

Three genuinely quick wingers albeit of different ability and potential in May, Holmes and Malouf addresses the lack of pace many have bemoaned. If nothing else that sort of pace on the wings and TV at full back should be entertaining to watch.

Back row has some more carrying and grunt in it, although it's still lacking standout quality. If Mike Williams and/or Mapapalangi will cover lock then another back row could still come in. Arno Botha? I'm yet to be convinced.

The front row options are being bulked out and have plenty of versatility. I just hope that Ben Betts gets opportunities this season.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 03 Aug 2017, 6:30 pm

I mean if you including Hills, Betts, C.Thacker and Worth you might aswell add the rest of the development squad players to that list. Hardwick at 10 for one.

Personally would be fine keeping the back row as is, it needs a full look at to decide on who gets a new contract next season and then after that rearrangement try to look for a 8. (If we need it)

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 03 Aug 2017, 6:39 pm

I was just listing the options rather than trying to name a senior squad, Welly.

I'd say Charlie Thacker and Worth have a reasonable chance of promotion though. I wouldn't mind Betts getting a senior contract either, he's impressed me in limited appearances.

On a seperate note, I'd be very happy to see Ed Milne back involved with the A-team this season. He must be nearing the end of his studies, he's a ball playing 8 who carries strongly. Good in the line-out too. He's always been an academy prospect I've rated highly.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 03 Aug 2017, 7:38 pm

Milne has signed for a championship squad (London Scottish) so doubt he will be released.
Been playing lock/6 more than 8 in the last few years though.

Still hopeful we will do a wells with him.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 03 Aug 2017, 9:39 pm

That's not a bad thing re Milne. Get some experience and toughen up before hopefully coming back. Not sure MOC will go for a project signing like that unless he is pulling up trees though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next