The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You

+35
IanBru
MacKnocked-on
George Carlin
nickj
EST
RuggerRadge2611
funnyExiledScot
Anglobraveheart
BigGee
bsando
formerly known as Sam
Manky-Flanker
Majestic83
Welly
Cardiff Dave
RiscaGame
Scottrf
Chainsaw Laney
furra_linee
Hazel Sapling
Eejit
R!skysports
CraigS1874
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Nematode
SirBurger
Geen sport voor watjes
highland_scot
SecretFly
A Simply Mesmeric Try
whocares
cakeordeath
TJ
39 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You

Post by IanBru Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:39 pm

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You Jessie10          Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You Glasgo10
Edinburgh & Glasgow Warriors

A Not So Brief History of Time-Wasting:

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You Giphy

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 110

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 210

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 311

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 410

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 510

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 610

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 710

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 810

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 910

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 1010

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 1110

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 1210

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 1310

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 1410

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You 1510

Guinness Pro12

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You Giphy

Guinness Pro12 Website
Edinburgh Rugby (Pro12 Website)
Glasgow Warriors (Pro12 Website)
Guinness Pro12 2016/17 Overview (Ultimate Rugby)

Playlist of all of Edinburgh's Pro12 highlights here.
Playlist of all of Glasgow's Pro12 highlights here.

Europe

European Rugby Website

CHAMPIONS CUP
QUARTER FINAL
SARACENS v GLASGOW WARRIORS
Sun, Apr 2, 13:00, Allianz Park

CHALLENGE CUP
QUARTER FINAL
EDINBURGH v LA ROCHELLE
Fri, March 31, 19:00, Murrayfield Stadium

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You Airplane-we-re-counting_o_GIFSoupcom
"I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you."
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You

Post by Eejit Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Bloody good effort on the thread.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 am

That's just showing off Bru. That legal firm of yours in Newcastle is not keeping you busy!

It's extremely rare that I say this, but I think Edinburgh will win this weekend and Glasgow will lose.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:46 am

What makes you think Edinburgh will beat la Rochelle?

They are on fire whilst we are dire.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:05 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:What makes you think Edinburgh will beat la Rochelle?

Home advantage, plus the fact that Edinburgh usually play well at least once per calendar quarter. We are due a good performance, and I think the return to Murrayfield for this will see us come through. Also, there's the old adage - the French don't travel well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:13 am

There have been two Edinburgh teams this season - the one in the minnows cup and the one in the pro12. the first is halfway decent, the second a large steaming pile of mince

Glasgow have a chance and I wouldn't be surprised if they win but Sarries are probably the best team in the euro cup but I don't think anyone expected Glasgow to hump racing and Tigers hme and away

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:25 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:What makes you think Edinburgh will beat la Rochelle?

Home advantage, plus the fact that Edinburgh usually play well at least once per calendar quarter. We are due a good performance, and I think the return to Murrayfield for this will see us come through. Also, there's the old adage - the French don't travel well.

It is often said that the clubs of France,
Seldom travel well and rarely Prance.
Edinburgh's performance though as frequently been dire,
Despite the move to the stadium of Myre.
Our Fly Half's neck is clearly missing,
leaving the Edinburgh faithful wishing,
for more than the often handling blunder,
looking away as our defence is torn asunder.
This here is a poem of woes,
to be read aloud before our foes.
Oh how hard to be a fan,
of Edinburgh rugby, poor, poor man.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:29 am

Radge clap clap clap

Bravo.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:41 am

IanBru wrote:Radge clap clap clap

Bravo.

In todays Brexit Voting indy2 looming Lions bickering climate I am going to express myself in poetry today across multiple threads.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:46 am

Onwards to Alianz Park,
On the sabbath hear the Glasgow faithful HARK!
Toonie will march is merry band south,
Hopefully to "stick the heid in" Ashton's mouth.
To London, into the Sarries Lair,
with weapons of guile, pace and flair.
A game of rugby a battle in disguise,
as aggresion, passion and tempers rise.
A rematch of Twickenham perhaps at a glance?
A chance for bloody, Scottish vengeance?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:01 am

God damn.

The last time I felt this pumped, I was three G&Ts into a flight to Crete and four chapters into Tom English's 'The Grudge'1

1. Highly recommended.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:53 am

We have a 606v2 poet, and it isn't Schiz!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:02 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:We have a 606v2 poet, and it isn't Schiz!

An ode to Schiz

The halls of V2 are quiet as of late,
lacking the epic rants so often up to date.
Normally lacking in basic grammar,
the impact of words as fierce as a hammer.
We all have aspects we miss of Schiz,
sometimes those were his psychotic fits.
Perhaps he passes by on here like a ghostly phantasm,
I miss the words he poured on here in a spasm.
Gone but not forgotten like the ghost of a forgotten mistress,
his loss relieves the admin’s distress.
Long away now, nearly as much as ASBO,
gone are 2 of the supporters of Glasgow.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:14 am

I'm loving this so much.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:03 am

Radge, please stop. Please desist.
one of the reasons I frequent these boards is to escape from adolescent rhyming.
Or if you insist.
Compose verses that scan.
Like This.

Seriously, the teacher in me can't help but see that, "the impact of words as fierce as a hammer" contains a gem of a simile, but "hard as a hammer" might flow easier.
Also, "Gone but not forgotten like the ghost of a forgotten mistress," too many forgottens: either she's forgotten or she isn't, make your mind up. "Gone but not forgotten, like the touch of an  ex-mistress" again if you are haunted by her then she is still there.

So, now my fellow posters you know how to really wind me up: post your own poems that are almost excellent and watch me go all Sheldon Cooper.  AND I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED ON THE SHOEHORNED SIGHT RHYMES.

On the subject of Schiz I know where he is; I passed the Basildon branch of RADGE (Recovering Alkies Dryingout Gently, England) and through an open window I heard a plaintive, Glaswegian accent keening a mournful verse,

I once had a love like sparkling champagne
that tickled my senses and teased my brain
without her bubbles my life is as plain
as mud without puddles, sky without rain.
O Lord, let me be drunk again.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:19 am

jimbopip wrote:Radge, please stop. Please desist.
one of the reasons I frequent these boards is to escape from adolescent rhyming.
Or if you insist.
Compose verses that scan.
Like This.

Seriously, the teacher in me can't help but see that, "the impact of words as fierce as a hammer" contains a gem of a simile, but "hard as a hammer" might flow easier.
Also, "Gone but not forgotten like the ghost of a forgotten mistress," too many forgottens: either she's forgotten or she isn't, make your mind up. "Gone but not forgotten, like the touch of an  ex-mistress" again if you are haunted by her then she is still there.

So, now my fellow posters you know how to really wind me up: post your own poems that are almost excellent and watch me go all Sheldon Cooper.  AND I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED ON THE SHOEHORNED SIGHT RHYMES.

On the subject of Schiz I know where he is; I passed the Basildon branch of RADGE (Recovering Alkies Dryingout Gently, England) and through an open window I heard a plaintive, Glaswegian accent keening a mournful verse,

I once had a love like sparkling champagne
that tickled my senses and teased my brain
without her bubbles my life is as plain
as mud without puddles, sky without rain.
O Lord, let me be drunk again.

laughing kiss

Burns had days like this,
told his rhymes were utter p!55.
Like him I carry on, undeterred,
despite the slight that Jimbo inferred.
His little snipe is mine to ignore,
YOU with my childish rhymes all day I will bore!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:24 am

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
No slight, no snipe
just a teacher's gripe
old habits die hard
said this grumpy....

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:27 am

At least it's better than that awful IndyRef2 poetry...

No Dúbhgháll, 'Culloden slaughter' does not rhyme with 'Wastemonster'.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:28 am

try getting Solomona to rhyme with something. I had to resort to telephona...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:33 am

I see Edinburgh are sending Lewis Carmichael off out to Oz to play with the Western Force for the rest of the season. It is a loan deal to give him more experience, brokered by the man everyone loves to hate, Scott Johnson.

On the face of it, it does not seem like a bad idea. They also suggested that they would look at doing this for other promising young players.

Also rumoured to be making the journey down the M8 from Glasgow to Edinburgh is the second row Calum Hunter-Hill, who has been very impressive in the U20s this year, whom he has captained. He is apparently an Edinburgh boy, who had the good sense to go and do his degree in Glasgow. He went on the scholarship to NZ a couple of years ago as well, so obviously very highly thought of.

Hopefully Edinburgh won't ruin him!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:43 am

I just wanted to say all the way from The Bellagio Las Vegas (7:40am and wide awake for a few hours - travelling is messing with sleep!) That this is the best god dam opening to a thread I've ever seen! Hug

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:49 am

Long Distance Modding. Well done Mod Boy.

However, I'm pretty sure that on my honeymoon I had neither the time nor the inclination to read rubbish like this (even if the interweb had been invented then). Didn't have the energy to type either.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Has there been any word of Tiny Tim's disciplinary hearing. Was it today?

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:23 am

I think the hearing's today, Cakey.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:10 am

4-6 weeks? Never play for scotland again until he stops being a penalty machine. what he brings to the side is not worth the penalties he gives away

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:17 am

Where has the 4-6 weeks come from? I can't see anything reporting that.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:26 am

It is today.

He will likely get a couple of weeks, probably reduced to 1 as he has no previous. It was at the lower end of the scale.

He is going to miss the sarries game and that will be a real blow for him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:38 am

The way big Brian has been playing, I actually think Swinson not starting is a good thing for Glasgow, albeit it would have been great to have him on the bench.

With Strauss out, Glasgow need all the power they can get and Alainu'uese has it in spades.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:52 am

4-6 weeks is my guess hence the question mark

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:26 am

Is Brian signed on beyond this season yet? Certainly worth keeping if we can and a possible project player as well I would guess.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:45 am

TJ wrote:4-6 weeks?  Never play for scotland again until he stops being a penalty machine.  what he brings to the side is not worth the penalties he gives away

In the last couple of weeks you've suggested Gilchrist should never play for Scotland again and now Swinson, they way you're going we won't have any locks left.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:13 am

MacKnocked-on wrote:Is Brian signed on beyond this season yet? Certainly worth keeping if we can and a possible project player as well I would guess.

I don't think he is signed up beyond this season, but hopefully with Rennie coming over he can be. Apparently he is edging up towards the 140kg mark, and is mobile and athletic at that weight - he really was superb against Connacht at the weekend. There aren't many specimens out there like him, and is the type of guy Glasgow need to keep up with the big French/English teams.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:09 am

There are rumours that Big Brian has signed, just not been announced yet.

They would be mad not to keep him, he probably won't be costing a fortune at this stage in his career either. We do need another second row and if CH-H is heading back down the M8 and Chewy does not get retained (which seems likely) then it may well be a done deal.

That would give us Johnny G, Timbo, Peterson, Cummings and Big Brian plus maybe someone from the academy.

That is probably about the right combo, bearing in mind that we will likely lose 2 or 3 of them around international windows.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:40 am

jimbopip wrote:Long Distance Modding. Well done Mod Boy.

However, I'm pretty sure that on my honeymoon I had neither the time nor the inclination to read rubbish like this (even if the interweb had been invented then). Didn't have the energy to type either.

Admin boy!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:14 pm

4 weeks for Tim Swinson, reduced down from 6. TJ was right!

That seems pretty harsh in my opinion. He is going to be devestated at missing the euro games. He will miss the semi as well if we go through. With Big Brian stepping up, the team will not necesserily suffer, but very tough on him as an individual.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:27 pm

La Rochelle opting to mix experience and youth...

from 15 to 1: Murimurivalu ; Barry, Jordaan, Aguillon, Roudil ; (o) Holmes, (m) Retière ; Botia, Gourdon, Sazy ; Tanguy, Eaton (cap) ; Boughanmi, Maurouard, Corbel.

subs : Forbes, Priso, Kaulashvili, Qovu, Vito, Balès, James, Noble.

Key players like Qovu and Vito are on the bench while a couple of guys seem out of their preferred position (Botia is usually a centre but quite a fetcher at times). Very very heavy pack (even with Atonio being on holidays) and some electric backs (SH, wingers).
Looking forward to this game. Very intriguing. La Rochelle have the best away win rate in the T14 and are already qualified for the t14 playoffs so could get interesting.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:37 am

Good morning Group, my name in Jimbo and I'm a Numptie.
Last night I dreamt about the game on Sunday. Rob Harley and Batman were getting all handbagsie with Itoje and Ashton in full technicolour.

I actually wakened up miffed that I couldn't remember the final score.
Harley was leading by two falls and a submission when the alarm went off.

Last edited by jimbopip on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:14 am

whocares wrote:La Rochelle opting to mix experience and youth...

from 15 to 1: Murimurivalu ; Barry, Jordaan, Aguillon, Roudil ; (o) Holmes, (m) Retière ; Botia, Gourdon, Sazy ; Tanguy, Eaton (cap) ; Boughanmi, Maurouard, Corbel.

Key players like Qovu and Vito are on the bench while a couple of guys seem out of their preferred position (Botia is usually a centre but quite a fetcher at times). Very very heavy pack (even with Atonio being on holidays) and some electric backs (SH, wingers).
Looking forward to this game. Very intriguing. La Rochelle have the best away win rate in the T14 and are already qualified for the t14 playoffs so could get interesting.

so nice to have someone with actual insight posting on this thread for a change!

Normally we just get Glasgow fans harping on about how all their players are world class! Especially the ones from Ayr!

I'm on the opinion that La Rochelle could run Edinburgh ragged this weekend boxing
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:56 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39450416

Good interview with Dobson, who gives reasons for the Cotter/Townsend Scotland coach decesion.

He also tells it how it is concerning Edinburgh and is very hopeful that Cockers can make a difference.

He would like to see Scotstoun capacity up around the 10,000 mark as well. That sounds about right, Glasgow could certainly fill that for some if not all of the big games. Another 3000 fans is potentially a fair bit more income that they could be targetting.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:30 am

tigertattie wrote:
whocares wrote:La Rochelle opting to mix experience and youth...

so nice to have someone with actual insight posting on this thread for a change!

Normally we just get Glasgow fans harping on about how all their players are world class! Especially the ones from Ayr!

I'm on the opinion that La Rochelle could run Edinburgh ragged this weekend boxing

I would imagine this is not a controversial opinion.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:30 am

Just looking at the Edinburgh side for tonight - very much as expected.

Tovey instead of Weir is a no brainer, the easiest decision Hodge will make.

If I have a gripe it's the continued ignoring of the two Irish lads, Allen and Scholes, instead of Dean and Brown. I think we'd be better switching those around, and having Brown in the bench instead of Bryce. Dean was awful last weekend, and looks far more at home at 12 than at 13 in my opinion.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:22 am

Dodson says he's brought the right guy in at the right time, clearly he isn't about to say anything else in his position. Regardless of how well Toonie does in the role I'd still argue he's brought in the right guy at the wrong time. Cotter still had more to give, and the idea that Toonie would turn the Scotland job down in a few years time is laughable. But there we go.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:17 pm

Guys, it appears I may have two tickets for the match £50 the pair. Let me know if anyone is interested.
Thanks

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:14 pm

Got the luvvie game on. 12 minutes in two tries for La Rochelle. Eep.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:16 pm

Eejit wrote:Got the luvvie game on. 12 minutes in two tries for La Rochelle. Eep.
laughing

Luvvies bringing their Pro 12 form to the match then.

Even as I typed that I could hear my dear, departed, granny saying "It's a sin to mock the afflicted."

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:18 pm

rrggghhhh

One large plate of steaming mince from Edinburgh

I have turned it off. Edinburgh scrum on their 22, 2 pans and two lineouts later try Rochelle

I know we dont really have top class players but this is awful.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:23 pm

Try for the perfumed ones. Bloody good job Phil Burleigh.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:28 pm

Brilliant try La Rochelle. Disastrous effort from Kinghorn.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:44 pm

Sounds like both teams defences are a bit ropey but edinburghs being particularly bad
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:08 pm

Can someone explain what's going on?

Sounds like Watson is having a stormer and Edinburgh are very threatening unless Chris dean gets the ball???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next