The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox)

+56
atuakiwikiwi
munkian
Bathite
youngguns6
JDandfries
Dorothy_Mantooth
B91212
propdavid_london
robshaw4england
Imperialbigdave
RDW
Mad for Chelsea
RuckingFlanker86
HongKongCherry
beshocked
perand25
tomhughesnice
TheGreyGhost
JmD
mckay1402
Rugby_Assessor
J_D
Irish Curry
Don Alfonso
sean.c
RuggerRadge2611
D24tress
pete (buachaill on eirne)
dogtooth
mrsuperclear
Adam D
drbeatz
Rugby Nick
rugbyman
prop_lyd
JayMaster3000
red_stag
caoimhincentre
DingBatMan
XR
Shifty
doctor_grey
manofgwent
Geordie
Thomond
welshy824
Mickado
tlazarus9
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Looseheaded
Notch
ScarletSpiderman
BATH_BTGOG
Feckless Rogue
MBTGOG
Killer_B_6
60 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox) Empty Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox)

Post by Killer_B_6 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:47 am

Like London buses, you wait for ages for one and then two pop up at the same time!

I know there was a lot of chat on 606 (RIP) about Rugby games for PS3 and I thought I would bring some news about two games that have been confirmed for August 2011.

Firstly, there is Rugby Challenge, produced by Sidhe:

http://rugbychallengegame.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_Challenge

https://www.facebook.com/pages/All-Blacks-Rugby-Challenge-Game/162875610443414

I think this is an update from the 'World Cup Challenge' produced just after the 2003 World Cup and may be a descendant from Jonah Lomu Rugby.

The screenshots look very impressive.

They have confirmed licences for the All Blacks, Wallabies, ITM Cup and Super 15. There has been no confirmation of whether they have any European national teams or leagues - which is a bit of a downer - but, going by the Wiki link, there seems to be an extensive editing mode.

In addition, the team behind the game seem very 'on the ball' and have opened up a fans forum asking for advice and answering any queries:

http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

I would advise going on there and giving the details for your favourite team!

The other option is the RWC 2011 Official Game which is made by HB Studios:

http://www.rwc2011game.com/

https://www.facebook.com/RWC2011game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_World_Cup_2011_%28video_game%29

This game is a direct descendant from Rugby 08, 06, 04, etc. - I don't know whether this is a good thing! Although they were fun games, they were very limited

I presume that this will have licences for all teams at the RWC 2011 (this is, however, disputable due to Rugby Challenge claiming to have exclusive licenses to the All Blacks, Wallabies and Super Rugby) but I am not sure about the gameplay outside of that.

I haven't seen any screenshots for this game.

So which game are people going to buy?

I'm kind of torn because HB Studios should, in theory, be able to make the best game but it remains to be seen whether this will be another rush job just to maximise sales while the RWC is on.

My only issue with Rugby Challenge at the moment is what licences they will have for Northern Hemisphere rugby.

Has anyone else got info on these games?

Last edited by Killer_B_6 on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Killer_B_6

Back to top Go down

Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox) Empty Re: Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox)

Post by MBTGOG Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:56 am

First one looks better. I've seen screen shots of the RWC Official Game and it doesn't look any different from the old PS2 games.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox) Empty Re: Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox)

Post by Killer_B_6 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:01 pm

I just signed up to The Rugby Forum and yeah, RWC 2011 will just be a slightly updated Rugby 2008!

Killer_B_6

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:06 pm

Killer,

Are the iRB behind the HB studios game or just lending their name to it?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:15 pm

The HB studios games have been truly awful. I had rugby '08. I could write an essay on how many things were wrong with it. It was terrible on so many levels. And it sounds like the new one will be just a re-release of rugby '08 with a new World Cup '11 license.

So I'd have more hope for the Rugby Challenge one. I'll read the reviews when they both come out. If one of the games is highly rated I'll buy it. I'd love a good rugby game. But there really hasn't been a top rugby game since Jonah Lomu rugby. And that was in the mid 90's.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:25 pm

I played Lomu rugby the other day on the PSone against my nephew its still great, the graphics have dated but the game play is good fun, and yes I won with Germany against the All Blacks.

Disappointed to hear HB studios appears to be the same game with updated squads.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:30 pm

I have got official clearance form my wife to buy both as i have been harping on about needing a new rugby game since i got the PS3 (the version that don't play PS2 games grrr).

I enjoyed the game play of the EA Rugby (HB Studios) games as they felt more challenging. However I realy didn't like the fact there was no Celtic League, where as Rugby Challenge 06 (or was it 05) did have the Celtic League and was a far simpler pick up and play game (to challenge people who have not played it before).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:03 pm

This should probably be in the videogames section, non?

Anyway, the first one looks better but seems overly focused on the SH. Can we expect a lax rule on forward passes and the absence of tackling from gameplay? Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:07 pm

They say there will be 31 stadiums; only 6 from Europe Doh

I'd probably prefer an inferior game with more of a NH focus.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:18 pm

I would too Notch but as long at there is a rugby game for the 360 I don't care really
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm

Well if there's a decent edit mode then some nerd somewhere on the internet will modify it to have more northern teams and players. Download his file, stick it on a usb and plug it into the console.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:37 pm

I never found the old Rugby (insert date) games much good. However, at first glance I hoped that Rugby Challenge would be the follow on from Rugby CHallenge 2006, which was a brilliant game, but alas, different developers and publishers, so I haven't a clue which'll be better.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:36 pm

Hmmm, so it appears the Southern Hem has the better game ... Whistle

Wink

I'm still peeved I couldn't fit my old PS1 and copy of Jonah Lomu Rugby into my bags when I came back from NZ last month.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

Notch wrote:I'd probably prefer an inferior game with more of a NH focus.

To be fair if this sells well, then i would be willing to bet that there will be a NH bias game out for the Lions tour in 2013
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer_B_6 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 4:04 pm

I think I enjoyed Rugby 08 just because it was a rugby game, not because it was a good Rugby game. The Rugby 2011 screenshots look awful:

https://2img.net/h/oi55.tinypic.com/v4yszq.png

I worry that the diving action to score is the same as Rugby 08 and the running animation seems similarly poor.

Most of all I'm worried that the players appear to be doing the 'u-8s rugby - chase the ball' thing they did on 08.

Also, Fiji have loads of white players so I guess there will just be generic faces like there was last time rather than detailed faces.

I'm leaning towards Rugby Challenge and hoping that there is a great edit mode and downloadable files where people create the NH teams perfectly!

Killer_B_6

Back to top Go down

Post by tlazarus9 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm

Anyone know if theres going to be a create a player mode, I'd like to be able to take myself through academy level to seniors and progress as you can on such games as FIFA and Madden, I realise these are EA games but something similar would be brilliant.

tlazarus9

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 07 Jun 2011, 4:54 pm

Killer,

That is awful. Most of the players look like squares.

A big problem with the old Rugby games was it always became too easy to dominate. They need to make the top level hard no matter how good you become.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:10 pm

I would really love a PROPER rugby manager game, the game is just really not suited to a playing simulation. Jonah Lomu rugby for the ps1 was a classic game and I don't see how they could improve on it, anything made after it has been gash!!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:13 pm

Killer_B_6 wrote:I think I enjoyed Rugby 08 just because it was a rugby game, not because it was a good Rugby game. The Rugby 2011 screenshots look awful:

https://2img.net/h/oi55.tinypic.com/v4yszq.png

I worry that the diving action to score is the same as Rugby 08 and the running animation seems similarly poor.

Most of all I'm worried that the players appear to be doing the 'u-8s rugby - chase the ball' thing they did on 08.

Also, Fiji have loads of white players so I guess there will just be generic faces like there was last time rather than detailed faces.

I'm leaning towards Rugby Challenge and hoping that there is a great edit mode and downloadable files where people create the NH teams perfectly!

It has to be said, that looks embarrassingly dated. Cash-in alert.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:23 pm

i have to say rugby challenge looks pretty good, and even if their arent NH sides i am tempted to get it as i could always design my own teams, or more likely let some clever guy do it and download his versions onto my ps3

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer_B_6 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:33 pm

So, generally, people will either get Rugby Challenge or both?

I'm hoping there is a way of uploading face shots and text on kits so that someone can create a file with the unlicenced kits and players created perfectly!

Killer_B_6

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:37 pm

Killer,

Rugby Challenge only for me. I can live without having lots of teams if it means a far superior game. Anyway, they said there are more licences still to be announced, which might mean the 6 Nations sides.

Mick,

I think it can work but the problem with it needs lots of investment, financial and time and it will probably take a few games to get it right.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:41 pm

Perhaps there could be a petition to get Jonah Lomu Rugby on the PSN store and the Xbox equivalent( marketplace or something is it?) Little adjustments could be made to update it but besides that it could be the same.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 07 Jun 2011, 7:16 pm

I really want a good rugby management game...i really think there is a market for it.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed 08 Jun 2011, 12:53 pm

You can play Jonah lomu on ps3. I picked up a copy a few months back. It's still awesome. Apparently PS1 games work just fine.
I'd be happy with Jonah lomu, with smoother graphics and online play. There's nothing quite like playing Chinese tapei when your the all blacks!
Ice been waiting sloppily long I've been hooked by madden over the last few years. Madden is absolutely class. Especially online. I've even tried rugby league live, which is unbelievably bad.
I'll get both games and see which is best. I'll bet the better game will not have real names or grounds. Whereas the official version will have all the logos but will be dire.
Online play on a rugby game will be great.
At last rugby union has caught up with snooker, darts, NASCAR, ice hockey, horse racing and tennis and finally got a game on next gem consoles. I think it's fair to say about ing time!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:02 pm

I too can live without the real names and logos

I hope they call the Aviva Prem 'The Jeff' that would be great. and Leicester Tigers 'The Tiggers'
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer_B_6 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:05 pm

The more I read about it the more I'm leaning towards the Rugby Challenge game.

I feel it will have better gameplay and more modes to play so will have more longevity.

Also, I think there will be some NH licences and, if not, there will be an extensive edit mode.

Below is a good review:

http://nzgamer.com/ps3/previews/921/all-blacks-rugby-challenge-hands-on.html

Killer_B_6

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:45 pm

As I said earlier. If you have a PS3, Jonah lomu will play!
I picked up a copy for £5 and it's available on amazon or eBay.
Graphics may your head fuzzy at first, but once you've got used to it, it's fantastic. Bill mclaren commentating. What more could you want?!?!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer_B_6 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:51 pm

I want a 3rd Gen Rugby game so good that people for get that JLR even existed!

Killer_B_6

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:55 pm

there should be northen hemisphere teams as i noticed when watching the commentry video they were talking about russia and georgia (not the biggest rugby nations) so it is maiking me think european teams will be in there

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:03 pm

If they have all the test sides I'm getting it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:05 pm

Killer. Me too. Let's hope the developers have concentrated on gameplsy. Is be fuming if it's another damp squid. To wait this long, you just hope the efforts been put in. If it's anything like rugby league live on the ps3, I'll be back to Jonah!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:03 am

Does anyone know if these games will be available for the Wii? Or P2? Those are the game systems I have and, frankly, the Wii gets most of the use as it is considerably better than the P2. With those two systems, it is kind of hard to justify purchasing a P3.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:17 am

I used to love World Class rugby on the Snes which was basically the 1991 world cup game, the graphics werent great by modern standards, but it was very playable and you could do some brilliant skillful play through clever passing.
I also used to play Pro Rugby Manager 2 a few years ago which is basically the rugby version of Championship Manager / Football Manager that was great fun. The Ospreys used to walk the Magners league and Europe every year.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 09 Jun 2011, 9:48 am

Pro Rugby Manager 2 was/is good. THe only problem I have is that I keep trying to update the teams, leagues etc every season, and end up getting hacked off with it.

ALso on a plus note no NH licencing would mean that you would probably be able to play in the 'four nations league' as opposed to the RaboDirectPro12 which would suit me just fine ;-)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

Well if they have the european (club) teams i hope they do their research. In the Rugby 05/07 etc games...it always annoyed me when you're the blues (cardiff) and nicky robinson is blonde haired, right footed fly half and jamie robinson has short, cropped brown haired centre 🤦

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:48 pm

gcBlues Rugby 08 was even worse I believe that Robbie McBryde, Big John Davies, Garin Evans and (I believe) Chirs Wyatt were still at the Scarlets!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by DingBatMan Thu 09 Jun 2011, 2:00 pm

In 08

Lineout was stupidly easy
scrum was stupid full stop
set plays were ok but limited
passing was stupid, hold the pass button for a long pass was stupid. double tap would have been better.
Get and injured player while scoring a try crashed the game. STUPID
Not able to create custom tournament STUPID
Limited tournaments Stupid
Imaginary world league OK idea but still stupid.
Difficulty: stupidly easy
Player names DONT GET ME STARTED!
Graphics AWFUL and player faces were mostly the same.

Thats just the surface of what was wrong with 08.

They have alot to do if they want my €60!!

DingBatMan
DingBatMan

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Thu 09 Jun 2011, 2:11 pm

The rucking was pretty poor in 08 too. if you made a break only the backs would keep up and they would just stand there and wait for the forwards to ruck.
of course you would lose the ball then

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by DingBatMan Thu 09 Jun 2011, 2:22 pm

caoimhincentre wrote:The rucking was pretty poor in 08 too. if you made a break only the backs would keep up and they would just stand there and wait for the forwards to ruck.
of course you would lose the ball then

Everything was poor in reality.

Rucking consisted of random chance. hit the bash the X button and hope u held the ball. In defence: BASH the X button and hope u got the ball.

It was a random number generator behind the programming. Taking in to account. the rating of your team. the rating of the opposition team and then generating a percentage of likly turnover of ball. Really pathetic.

The X button did nothing and adding men to the ruck did nothing when behind it all it was a case of random chance if you got or lost the ball at ruck time.

Truly 08 was a missive flawed piece of Shhhii.....oftware
DingBatMan
DingBatMan

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Thu 09 Jun 2011, 2:26 pm

when the new game comes out the camera views should be interesting.
Personally i think it would be good to have a decent angle behind the play so you can see gaps. makes it a little tougher for the defending team to judge tackles though

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by DingBatMan Thu 09 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm

caoimhincentre wrote:when the new game comes out the camera views should be interesting.
Personally i think it would be good to have a decent angle behind the play so you can see gaps. makes it a little tougher for the defending team to judge tackles though

That view is available in 08 you know and its editable to you can play with it until you get the right setting. But ye its need a kind of dynamic.

Also you see the football games from EA and the amount of work they put in to them. If a rugby game had 25% of that work it might be good but EA are a bunch of tight arses.

It is pretty clear when playing 08 that their was nobody on the development team with any great knowledge of Rugby. Just a kind of robotic view with zero understanding of the subtleties involved.

Also, and i suppose this is a mote point but the lack of Network play in 08 was desperately disappointing tho im sure that will be rectified, only to be destroyed by a bunch of faults with the online system. Mark my words.

DingBatMan
DingBatMan

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:24 pm

Dingbat,

To be fair, they won't make anywhere close to 25% of what EA make for the FIFA games. More like 2.5%.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:15 pm

More like 0.25.
Just annoys me when there's a snooker game released every year.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by DingBatMan Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:12 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Dingbat,

To be fair, they won't make anywhere close to 25% of what EA make for the FIFA games. More like 2.5%.

To True! But u know i will put it like this.
RUGBY 08 was actually released in 07 before the WC and i would genuinely be happy if this new one had half the features and attention to detail that the 07 or 08 FIFA games had.
Netplay
Automatic roster downloads
online competitions
real time competitions and management campaigns
custom tournament setups
etc etc The list goes on and on.

What we bought last time was a lemon and i still have the bitter taste in my mouth.
DingBatMan
DingBatMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer_B_6 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 3:51 pm

Surely a good Rugby game would still make a tidy profit - in NZ and South Africa it would be lapped up and it would sell reasonably well in the UK and Australia I imagine.

There hasn't been a good rugby game since the PS1 so we wouldn't really now but I reckon a good one would produce enough revenue to be made year on year.

Also if there were yearly updates development would be continuous and we would end up with far, far better games.

I'm hoping that Sidhe bring out a Rugby Challenge game at least bi-annually (perhaps rotating with a Rugby League game so they can still 'leverage' the development).

On another note, below is my dream XV for a Rugby Game:

Tong'uhia (Tonga/Northampton), Polota Nau (Australia/NSW), Stevens (England/Saracens); Cudmore (Clermont/Canada), Lawes (England/Northampton); Myself!!/SOB (Leinster/Ireland), Burger (Stormers/RSA), Read (Crusaders/NZ)

Youngs (Leicester/England), Beale (NSW/Australia); Nalaga (Unattached/Fiji) SB Williams (Crusaders/NZ), O'Driscoll (Leinster/Ireland), Ashton (England/Northampton); Dagg (Crusaders/NZ)

What a team - can't wait to trolly people online!

Killer_B_6

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 10 Jun 2011, 5:13 pm

Rugby Challenge looks great. The other looks dreadful.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:39 pm

agreed, rugby challenge seems good, even if it doesnt have european teams in it, i am tempted to get it due to its superios graphics and the sidhe team come across really well aswel

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:40 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Pro Rugby Manager 2 was/is good. THe only problem I have is that I keep trying to update the teams, leagues etc every season, and end up getting hacked off with it.

ALso on a plus note no NH licencing would mean that you would probably be able to play in the 'four nations league' as opposed to the RaboDirectPro12 which would suit me just fine ;-)

You can actually get the database updated so all the Northern hemisphere players are correct. There is also 2 patches to sort the game out and of course the money cheat!

Real Name Database:
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/316281/eac-db-1-cdb.html

Patches 1 and 2 - allows you to play the game without the CD. Sorry had to make it a Zip file as you cant save .exe files on this file hoster.
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/316284/New-Folder-zip.html

Cheat:
PotOfGold

Press enter and type this in on the finances screen, note the lack of spaces and make sure the capital letters are correct and you will get 1Million each time you enter it.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:08 am

New Screen shots of the fabulous looking rugby challenge

http://rugbychallengegame.com/2011/06/more-console-action-screenshots/

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next