The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lyn Jones takes helm at London Welsh

+7
doctor_grey
mckay1402
bedfordwelsh
ospreylian
Glas a du
Cari
Adam D
11 posters

Go down

Lyn Jones takes helm at London Welsh Empty Lyn Jones takes helm at London Welsh

Post by Adam D Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:47 am

London Welsh have named Lyn Jones as their new coach following the departure of Phil Greening.

Jones previously worked at Neath, the Ospreys, where he saw them to two Magners/Celtic League titles and the EDF Cup, and the Dragons.

The former Wales international will now move to the ambitious Championship club from his position of director of rugby at The British School Al Khubairat (UAE) in Abu Dhabi.

Jones will now look to build on London Welsh's success over the past two seasons, with the Exiles having reached back-to-back play-off semi-finals.

Jones said: "I am extremely pleased and honoured to be offered an opportunity to coach a club such as London Welsh. It is steeped in tradition and history, with a desire to return to the top of the English game.

"I will bring my experience and understanding of coaching at the top level to a side that has ambition. Closing the gap between Aviva and Championship rugby takes a lot of hard work to create more consistent individual performances.

"To be successful in this environment is not just about your own ability and work ethic, it's about surrounding yourself with people of ability and experience of what it takes to succeed in the professional game."

Jones replaces Greening, who left the club by mutual consent at the end of the season, with the club impressed with his vision.

"We are very excited about this appointment," said London Welsh managing director John Taylor.
"Lyn has already proved himself at the highest level and has really bought into our vision of the way forward for this great club. He has a rare coaching talent and the fact that he is Welsh is an added bonus."

source and link - http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12321_6967933,00.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rugbyrightnow%2Fskysports+%28Sky+Sports+|+Rugby+Union+News%29&utm_content=Twitter

Will he do well? Was he well liked at the Ospreys?

Last edited by Hobo on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Lyn Jones takes helm at London Welsh Empty Re: Lyn Jones takes helm at London Welsh

Post by Cari Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:49 am

Hobo - I miss him at the Ospreys, he's a good coach. He did some coaching in Dubai after that. I think he'll do a good job with LW. Good luck to him.

Last edited by Cari on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Lyn Jones takes helm at London Welsh Empty Re: Lyn Jones takes helm at London Welsh

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:50 am

Hobo - London Welsh or London Irish?

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:51 am

Doh I have changed it now!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:06 am

Good appointment for Wales and the Ospreys. The previously announced relationship stamped on by the WRU can now proceed on the basis of 'an understanding' Wink

He is a future Welsh coach and coaching in England will give him an extra string to his bow.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:08 am

good appointment for London Welsh then. I know Lyn Jones can be a bit mad, but I believe he's a very good coach, look forward to next season now to see how they go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:09 am

How long before Henson is there on loan from his 'new' club the Ospreys? Any bets? If Welsh get to the Jeff, Henson and Jones will ride back to the liberty on a White charger.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Mon 06 Jun 2011, 3:33 pm

Lyn was always going to land up somewhere it's just a surprise it's taken this long.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 06 Jun 2011, 4:33 pm

Excellent news IMO.

We should look to exploit the London Wlesh lnk more and I reckon Jones is the man to do it. He has the credentials and as a litte side issue was one of the very few coaches to get the best out Henson
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 4:39 pm

Yep fair play. Would be good to see London Welsh and London Scottish back in the big time...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 06 Jun 2011, 4:42 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Yep fair play. Would be good to see London Welsh and London Scottish back in the big time...

Absolutely. It would be good to broaden the appeal of the Jeff and give our regions a testing ground for peripheral players, a half way house between premiership and region.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 06 Jun 2011, 5:52 pm

Very good choice. Phil Greening, Mike Friday, et al, did a terrific job and laid a strong platform at London Welsh. Seems tailor made for Jones. Good luck to him.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:12 pm

This sounds really good news, I hope Lyn pulls some good Welsh players in rather than them warming the bench for our regional teams. I would like to think LW could join the new FIAT or what ever it will be called next year. The crowds at LW would pull in against the Welsh, Scottish or Irish teams from exciles, it could be a money spinner and it may improve player development.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:23 pm

No way should we be sending young Welsh players to London Welsh and then see them qualify for England due to the residency ruling.
If anything those players should be playing in the Welsh premiership or put on loan to the North Wales region.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Nick Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:51 pm

Cari wrote:Hobo - I miss him at the Ospreys, he's a good coach. He did some coaching in Dubai after that. I think he'll do a good job with LW. Good luck to him.

I don't. I just wish he had taken Holley with him

Rugby Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 8:51 am

Cymroglan

Totally agree. You only have to look at Ben morgan to see the dangers of young players going elsewhere to learn their trade.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 07 Jun 2011, 8:59 am

Instead of our young players going across the bridge to London Welsh it offers the chance to see young players at LW who could then come this way into our Regions.

Judging by the reports saying Jones and Young are in contention to replace Gatland then for me Jones wins hands down over Young.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 07 Jun 2011, 9:35 pm

London Welsh needs a Welsh link. Young Welsh players who get game time in a competitive league rather than splinters on a regional bench has to be a good thing. If they are that shallow to change national allegiances then good luck to them, they are not our type of player. I hardly think England will be falling over themselves to cap the level of player we are talking about anyway.

The next Welsh coaching team:

Head - Lyn Jones
Forwards - Phill Davies
Backs - Paul Turner
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:39 pm

Glas a du
So would Ben Morgan be our type of player ?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm

I for one am shocked by the sudden rise of the LJ FOR WALES bandwagon. Unless, starting from London Welsh, his coaching cv takes a drastic turn he's clearly not the required quality for the Wales coaching job, if for any top position. His and Holley's joint underachievement with the O's clearly speaks for itself.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down