The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Impact of Brexit on British (and Ulster) clubs

4 posters

Go down

Impact of Brexit on British (and Ulster) clubs Empty Impact of Brexit on British (and Ulster) clubs

Post by Not grey and not a ghost Fri 24 Jun 2016, 11:20 am

Brexit will mean the probable loss of South African, and Island players from the club game. The Kolpak ruling by the European Court prevents sports clubs/organizations from limiting numbers of players from these countries. I'm also assuming the Cotonou agreement that allows members of African states, Pacific Islands and Caribbean to work in Europe, will also be invalidated.  Not completely but numbers will drop. Essentially leaving the EU means the end of the Kolpak, ruling that allowed English clubs along Welsh, Scottish regions, along with Ulster to hire any South African, Tongan, Fijian and Samoan essentially as a local player. I assume these players will now need work permits.

Not grey and not a ghost

Back to top Go down

Impact of Brexit on British (and Ulster) clubs Empty Re: Impact of Brexit on British (and Ulster) clubs

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 24 Jun 2016, 12:03 pm

As a point of transition, existing employment contracts probably get grandfathered in but you might be right, there are restrictions coming.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Impact of Brexit on British (and Ulster) clubs Empty Re: Impact of Brexit on British (and Ulster) clubs

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 24 Jun 2016, 10:33 pm

Last thing to be worrying about to be fair. Hopefully more countries will follow and we are seeing the end of the EU.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 25 Jun 2016, 6:22 pm

Not grey and not a ghost wrote:Brexit will mean the probable loss of South African, and Island players from the club game. The Kolpak ruling by the European Court prevents sports clubs/organizations from limiting numbers of players from these countries. I'm also assuming the Cotonou agreement that allows members of African states, Pacific Islands and Caribbean to work in Europe, will also be invalidated.  Not completely but numbers will drop. Essentially leaving the EU means the end of the Kolpak, ruling that allowed English clubs along Welsh, Scottish regions, along with Ulster to hire any South African, Tongan, Fijian and Samoan essentially as a local player. I assume these players will now need work permits.

Brexit makes no difference.

Kolpak only stops PRL whatever from limiting the players as foreign players (which the PRL and County cricket has a limited on currently) and why Football never mention Kolpak.

Players coming from Islands and SA etc still needed a working visa to play with Kolpak just Working holiday Visa

PRL will likely scrap the Foreign player ruling or adjust it to include players from certain areas.

Probable my arse.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down