The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GGG vs Canelo

+9
kingraf
BoxingFan88
ONETWOFOREVER
Hammersmith harrier
catchweight
milkyboy
Baby faced assassin
mobilemaster8
AdamT
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GGG vs Canelo Empty GGG vs Canelo

Post by AdamT Sun 08 May 2016, 9:07 pm

I think this fight will happen next. Maybe I'm deluded for believing them. But I think GBP are genuine this time.

If it happens I obviously back GGG, but he will be tested. It will be his toughest fight to date and I think he will take some punishment as well.

My only worry is, Golden boy are saying one thing, while doing something else. They perhaps want to wait until Ggg is on the slide.

Imo they should take it now. Gennady hasn't taken much punishment and he has a good few years left yet.

It would be a wonderful fight and the winner would be the undisputed face of boxing

Golden Boy (Oscar) you gave Floyd/manny death for not stepping up, do the right thing and give fans the fight everyone wants to see. Show you are genuine about the fans.

If GGG vs Canelo doesn't excite you, forget about boxing. It's a superfight and sure to be one to remember.

Lets hope it happens.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Canelo Empty Re: GGG vs Canelo

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 08 May 2016, 9:41 pm

Completely agree. I know there is a major hype train for GGG with people criticising those onboard based on his opposition.....which is fair enough to an extent....but I think he is special. A fantastic amateur background, solid fundamentals along with tantalising power, it's what fans want to see.

If he gets the Canelo fight he will come out another level I think.

On a side note, he will need to stop Alvarez as he ain't winning a decision. Anybody seen those stupid scorecards from last night?! Wtf??!

Alvarez winning by 2 and 3 rounds on 2 judges cards?! Frak jokers serious

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 08 May 2016, 9:57 pm

Joke cards mate. Khan was up 4-1 in my view.

I think GGG is awesome at 160. I think Alveraz can challenge him, but only one winner for me.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sun 08 May 2016, 10:01 pm

Cant see anthing but a GGG ko win

I like canelo but has weaknesses that aren't going and those weaknesses are his inability to throw volume and tries to potshot his way to win rounds

He shouldve stopped Cotto but was too concerned cleaning him out in 1 punch whereas when he put his punches together he had Cotto rocking

Canelo is solid but he's normally the bigger stronger man and if he moves his feet like he does normally against GGG he'll be picked apart

GGG jab is his biggest weapon he throws it so often with lots of power and just can't see canelo keeping up with him
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 08 May 2016, 10:03 pm

Good post and fully agree. It's an intriguing fight and will be much more exciting than other recent superfights.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 May 2016, 10:17 pm

I see the fight going similar to the Lemieux fight, ok Canelo is a better boxer than Lemieux but as others have said he just doesn't throw enough punches & looks for the big punch. Also he will be up against a fighter whose ring weight will be very similar.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 08 May 2016, 10:20 pm

It would be exciting though. Canelo can faint and throw good hooks. I wouldn't make him favourite, but he would be a live underdog.

I do think GGG is a special fighter. Ward was the only guy I would of made favourite. At 160 though, GGG is a beast.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 09 May 2016, 3:07 pm

alvarez would be a live underdog... and looks much better when guys are coming to him. I think golovkin is the all round better fighter and harder puncher, but i think alvarez has enough about him to make it interesting. Their sparring a few years back was very competitive. Sparring is sparring and I'm not one to read much into sparring stories, but it's not like alvarez was bullied out of the gym... like the stories we hear about kovalev amongst others. It's a live fight if it happens... especially if its catchweight

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 09 May 2016, 3:09 pm

I agree with your assessment. It is definitely a fight that needs to happen.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 10 May 2016, 7:12 pm

I think Golovkin will be far too formidable for Alvarez. I think Alvarez is relying on his massive weight increase against smaller fighters as the mainstay of his success. He wont have this if he faces Golovkin. Taking away his customary weight and size advantage, I think he is up sh1ts creek.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 10 May 2016, 7:18 pm

Alvarez doesn't bully his opponents nor does he even attempt to so I don't see why his size advantage is seen as the be all and end all when it wasn't there against Lara or Trout.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 10 May 2016, 7:43 pm

People forget that ggg has never ever been tested Canelo has fought the better names

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 10 May 2016, 7:45 pm

Golovkin has fought the better middleweights - this is a middleweight fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 10 May 2016, 7:57 pm

It's exciting for the hype

But a huge mismatch on paper

Golovkin will pulverise him

I won't blame canelo of he drops the belt

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 10 May 2016, 8:11 pm

I think it has the potential to be pretty one sided as well. Im not convinced by Canelo as he handicaps most of his opponents by 5 or 10 pounds and can bully them by being physically stronger in the exchanges and able to absorbs the punches of smaller fighters with a higher capacity. He is a good puncher but that wont be enough against a formidable middleweight like Golovkin. I think it he could fall well short. I would blame him if he drops the belt. I think it would be disgraceful. He should defend the belt at the divisional limit and fight people more suited to his own weight. He is a 170lb plus fighter.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 May 2016, 8:12 pm

Well we don't know if it will be a 'middleweight' fight or a Caneloweight fight.

There's no doubt that coming into the ring heavier than his opponents to date has been beneficial to Alvarez. In real terms he's generally a weight class above his opponent on fight night. You don't have to be a rampaging pressure fighter for that to be an advantage... However hammy has a point - it's not like his style hugely utilises his strength advantage, or it's the sole reason for his record.

Obviously against golovkin he won't have a physicality advantage so it will boil down to who the better fight is (or potentially who the judges say is). Personally I think this is golovkin, but if Canelo can hold a shot to head and body, I think this might be closer than others seem to think. Alvarez is better against guys who come to him, and golovkin will... Though interestingly against a guy whose power he respected... Lemieux, he was more circumspect than normal.

We're yet to see how either fighter deals  with serious adversity as neither have had to, so that's a bit of an unknown. Both  seem pretty tough on the evidence so far and I think Alvarez will give a good account of himself, let's hope it happens.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 10 May 2016, 8:14 pm

Skill Wize he is well behind ggg

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 10 May 2016, 8:15 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Alvarez doesn't bully his opponents nor does he even attempt to so I don't see why his size advantage is seen as the be all and end all when it wasn't there against Lara or Trout.

Are you Max Kellerman??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 10 May 2016, 8:33 pm

Alvarez is a power puncher. His weight gain and size advantage is a major factor. His shots hurt his opponent more, their shots hurt him less. He can overpower opponents in the exchanges. It changes the dynamics of a fight.

Golovkin has Alvarez' punching ability plus a whole lot more in my opinion. Unless Alvarez has the power to really hurt Golovkin I think hes done for. He could try running and picking up the decision from Canelojudging but he looks to be too slow to stop Golovkin getting to him.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 10 May 2016, 8:41 pm

Saw Canelo-Lemieux being touted on instagram. Given the fact that Lemieux has been stopped twice before and that Canelo hits pretty hard he'd be an underdog, but Davy boy hits pretty hard himself (harder than anyone Canelo has faced) and he doesn't have to go looking for Canelo, so I wouldn't be surprised if he won.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 May 2016, 10:01 pm

He's definitely not winning it on the back foot catchy.  Interestingly, on the very few occasions when golovkin has been on the back foot himself, he doesn't look a natural... Not easy to out him there though.

Alvarez doesn't need to be able to knock golovkin out but he needs to hit hard enough to stop him taking liberties... I don't know whether he does, but I do think that he measures up better than most against golovkin. He's looked ordinary taking on good technical boxers like Lara, May and cotto, but much more comfortable in the trenches with Angulo and Kirkland. Golovkin is a different animal to them obviously but I still think Alvarez makes this interesting... Before losing, obviously! The more I think about this the more I see golovkin setting this up with the jab, like he did with Lemieux.

Don't rate Lemieux raf, think Alvarez dismantles him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 11 May 2016, 8:31 am

milkyboy wrote:He's definitely not winning it on the back foot catchy.  Interestingly, on the very few occasions when golovkin has been on the back foot himself, he doesn't look a natural... Not easy to out him there though.

Alvarez doesn't need to be able to knock golovkin out but he needs to hit hard enough to stop him taking liberties... I don't know whether he does, but I do think that he measures up better than most against golovkin. He's looked ordinary taking on good technical boxers like Lara, May and cotto, but much more comfortable in the trenches with Angulo and Kirkland. Golovkin is a different animal to them obviously but I still think Alvarez makes this interesting... Before losing, obviously! The more I think about this the more I see golovkin setting this up with the jab, like he did with Lemieux.

Don't rate Lemieux raf, think Alvarez dismantles him.

Depends on the weight, if its 160 its interesting, no way Lemieux makes 155

As for Golovkin, his jab will kill Alvarez

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 11 May 2016, 8:55 am

I know you don't rate Lemmy, Milky. You've certainly made that clear. I personally think that Lemmy has a shot. Also, haven't seen Canelo put away anyone he wasnt expected to tbh.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 11 May 2016, 8:58 am

Beating a guy whose best days were at light welterweight and beating a guy whose been KOed by Ishida doesn't really suggest to me he's the new destroyer of worlds. And I say that as a Canelo fan
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 May 2016, 9:04 am

... well my prediciton he'd lose every minute of every round to golovkin was a pretty safe one! Most people do. He obviously hits very hard, so you completely write him off at your peril, just think alvarez is a clear level above and would slowly dismantle him... to a comfortable points win if he doesn't stop him.

I've been wrong before of course!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 11 May 2016, 9:47 am

I suppose if you're Canelo's handlers, Lemieux represents an ideal warm-up before a Golovkin fight (I just hope for the sake of the sport they skip it and go straight to GGG).

I don't believe Golovkin crushes Canelo. GGG appears to be going backwards a bit technically. He's had to blast everyone away to keep the bandwagon going and I'm not sure he's the fighter he was at the start of his HBO run.

Canelo is a very good counter-puncher and difficult to catch in the pocket (whereas Golovkin has looked far more easier to tag recently). The Mexican could have the Hagler-Leonard "compound optical illusion" thing going for him also, when he fares far better than anyone expects him to (and so people start giving him rounds).

As he always seems to have at least one judge in his back pocket, he may well land a decision (if he makes it that far).

I'd pick Golovkin by KO but it wouldn't be easy. I just feel Canelo is a good fighter, whereas Golovkin is a potentially great one. That should be the difference.

Last edited by hazharrison on Wed 11 May 2016, 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 11 May 2016, 9:50 am

Roach has stated Manny could fight Canelo at 155. The only clause being, Canelo can't rehydrate past 165.

Also states Manny has no problem with bigger slower guys and loves fighting them, due to his superior speed. He though Khan won the first 5 and walked on to a shot. That won't happen Manny, because he is able to concentrate for 12 full rounds and Amir can't.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 May 2016, 10:22 am

Haz' assessment of how golovkin Alvarez pans out pretty much Mirrors mine... Without getting drawn on the 'illusion' angle, I think we would all expect favourable judging for Canelo should it last 12.

As for manny Alvarez... An interesting fight... The obvious one missing from the big name match ups of the era. Can't see Alvarez agreeing to the rehydration though.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 11 May 2016, 11:10 am

milkyboy wrote:... well my prediciton he'd lose every minute of every round to golovkin was a pretty safe one! Most people do. He obviously hits very hard, so you completely write him off at your peril, just think alvarez is a clear level above and would slowly dismantle him... to a comfortable points win if he doesn't stop him.

I've been wrong before of course!

Yes, it could be comfortable... but Canelo isnt a great boxer or a great puncher (imo) , but he's a very good boxer puncher. IMO, guys like that are always at risk for falling to guys at the ends of either extremes (great boxers, or great punchers). Now Lemmy isnt a great puncher in the way Floyd was a great boxer, but he gives it an almighty whack and weve never seen Canelo in with someone who hits back as hard (or in this case, possibly harder). Makes it an intriguing bout. Of course Canelo could walk him down and slowly disintegrate him - Lemmy has an at best average jab and his chin is iffy - but I really, honestly don't know what anyone has seen in Canelo's past history that makes it the likely ending. He doesnt have the Golovkin jab.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 11 May 2016, 1:52 pm

milkyboy wrote:Haz' assessment of how golovkin Alvarez pans out pretty much Mirrors mine... Without getting drawn on the 'illusion' angle, I think we would all expect favourable judging for Canelo should it last 12.

As for manny Alvarez... An interesting fight... The obvious one missing from the big name match ups of the era. Can't see Alvarez agreeing to the rehydration though.

I wasn't fishing with the Leonard reference but if everyone is expecting Canelo to disintegrate quickly and he's still in there pitching at half-way there'd be a natural inclination to mark him up and Golovkin down.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 May 2016, 2:04 pm

Got your point fella. I don't think Alvarez needs any epic illusions to get 'marked up' in Vegas. He just needs to show up. If it goes 12 he wins, unless he's down in more than half the rounds.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 11 May 2016, 2:11 pm

milkyboy wrote:Got your point fella. I don't think Alvarez needs any epic illusions to get 'marked up' in Vegas. He just needs to show up. If it goes 12 he wins, unless he's down in more than half the rounds.

This is very sad, but I tend to agree. Alveraz is not losing any close fight, ever!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 11 May 2016, 2:24 pm

He could lose every minute of every round and still get 114-114.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 11 May 2016, 3:00 pm

kingraf wrote:He could lose every minute of every round and still get 114-114.

CJ Ross!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 11 May 2016, 3:18 pm

I think it would be a very interesting fight to answer a lot of questions. Does Canelo rely on his weight advantage and superior confidence to beat guys? What happens the first time GGG fights a guy with good footwork, a good ring IQ and a larger fanbase?

Im not saying theres not potential for this to be one sided. But there are certainly more question marks over GGG than some like to believe. Canelo has fought better opposition. I think Canelo has better timing and superior confidence to anyone GGG has been able to follow around the ring. What happens if the fight isnt going the way he wants. Does he have a plan B?

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 11 May 2016, 3:27 pm

Apparently talks have begun. I think Canelo is backed into a corner, only way Canelo doesnt fight Canelo is if he gives up the WBC belt. Mexicanos are not gonna be impressed with him shouting "WE dont Frak around" while binning the title.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 11 May 2016, 3:28 pm

Lance wrote:I think it would be a very interesting fight to answer a lot of questions. Does Canelo rely on his weight advantage and superior confidence to beat guys? What happens the first time GGG fights a guy with good footwork, a good ring IQ and a larger fanbase?

Im not saying theres not potential for this to be one sided. But there are certainly more question marks over GGG than some like to believe. Canelo has fought better opposition. I think Canelo has better timing and superior confidence to anyone GGG has been able to follow around the ring. What happens if the fight isnt going the way he wants. Does he have a plan B?

Like LARA!!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 11 May 2016, 3:29 pm

Lara is better than anyone GGG has fought

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 11 May 2016, 3:36 pm

Also Cotto and Floyd. (though he lost that one)

I like GGG, but overall Canelo still has a better resume. obviously GGG has done more at middleweight.

I hope it happens.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 11 May 2016, 3:39 pm

Lance wrote:Lara is better than anyone GGG has fought
His record certainly looks a lot better than, say, Lemmy's. Luminaries such as Ishe smith and Delvin Rodriguez. Not forgetting his war with the great Angulo.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 May 2016, 3:43 pm

kingraf wrote:Apparently talks have begun. I think Canelo is backed into a corner, only way Canelo doesnt fight Canelo is if he gives up the WBC belt. Mexicanos are not gonna be impressed with him shouting "WE dont Frak around" while binning the title.

would be interesting if canelo fought canelo... who would the judges give it to?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 11 May 2016, 3:45 pm

AdamT wrote:Also Cotto and Floyd. (though he lost that one)

I like GGG, but overall Canelo still has a better resume. obviously GGG has done more at middleweight.

I hope it happens.

I don't know what in my posting history would suggest that I thought Cotto is a good win at middleweight. I'd basically give him negative credit for beating a guy on one leg (As an aside Cotto's last two title wins have come against guys who either had a leg brace... or requested to wear a leg brace, Frak opportunist)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 11 May 2016, 3:46 pm

milkyboy wrote:
kingraf wrote:Apparently talks have begun. I think Canelo is backed into a corner, only way Canelo doesnt fight Canelo is if he gives up the WBC belt. Mexicanos are not gonna be impressed with him shouting "WE dont Frak around" while binning the title.

would be interesting if canelo fought canelo... who would the judges give it to?
Fuc.k off Milky

canelo split draw Alvarez
Judge 1- 120-108 Canelo
Judge 2 120-108 Alvarez
Judge 3 114-114
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 May 2016, 4:15 pm

Judge 3 would be 120-120. He can only write 10 next to Canelo or Alvarez.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 11 May 2016, 4:27 pm

milkyboy wrote:Judge 3 would be 120-120. He can only write 10 next to Canelo or Alvarez.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 11 May 2016, 9:33 pm

AdamT wrote:Roach has stated Manny could fight Canelo at 155. The only clause being, Canelo can't rehydrate past 165.

Also states Manny has no problem with bigger slower guys and loves fighting them, due to his superior speed. He though Khan won the first 5 and walked on to a shot. That won't happen Manny, because he is able to concentrate for 12 full rounds and Amir can't.

Pacquiao is going to win his seat in the senate, so he probably won't fight again as its a 6 year commitment

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 11 May 2016, 9:39 pm

I think Pacquiao could beat him. As long as he didn't weigh more than 165 on the night.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 May 2016, 9:51 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
AdamT wrote:Roach has stated Manny could fight Canelo at 155. The only clause being, Canelo can't rehydrate past 165.

Pacquiao is going to win his seat in the senate, so he probably won't fight again as its a 6 year commitment

I think you should study Filipino politics...One of the most self serving, corrupt parliaments in the World.....From Marcos to Aquino to Aquino 3 it's full of the scum of society....Aquino's husband Benigno in the 80s wanted to change it bless him but he was gunned down as his plane landed from his exile....Says it all that Marcos until Reagan washed his hands of him got away with that blatant assassination in front of journalists and camera crews..

Don't make the mistake of thinking that a place in a filipino parliament is a) binding or b) hard work....It's about filling your pockets while the ordinary folk starve..

He can fight who he wants when he wants..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 11 May 2016, 10:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:

I think you should study Filipino politics...One of the most self serving, corrupt parliaments in the World.....From Marcos to Aquino to Aquino 3 it's full of the scum of society....Aquino's husband Benigno in the 80s wanted to change it bless him but he was gunned down as his plane landed from his exile....Says it all that Marcos until Reagan washed his hands of him got away with that blatant assassination in front of journalists and camera crews..

Don't make the mistake of thinking that a place in a filipino parliament is a) binding or b) hard work....It's about filling your pockets while the ordinary folk starve..

From Manny's track record, I highly doubt that's what he is going to do

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 May 2016, 10:20 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:

From Manny's track record, I highly doubt that's what he is going to do

He's certainly unique...The first fully grown Flyweight in history to blow away welters..

Who can doubt a guy with a record like that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next