The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby League News

+4
The Beast
George Hotel1895
aucklandlaurie
Luke
8 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Rugby League News Empty Rugby League News

Post by Luke Fri 22 Apr 2016, 12:53 pm

The dates and venues of the 4 nation's have been announced. They are -

Fri 28th Oct - Scotland v Australia - Craven park Hull.

Sun 30th Oct - England v New Zealand - John Smiths stadium Huddersfield.

Sat 5th Nov - England v Scotland & Australia v New Zealand - Ricoh Arena Coventry.

Fri 11th Nov - Scotland v New Zealand - Derwent Park Workington.

Sun 13th Nov - England v Australia - Olympic Park London.

Sun 20th Nov - final at Anfield Liverpool.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Rugby League News Empty Re: Rugby League News

Post by The Beast Sat 23 Apr 2016, 9:37 am

Some interesting choices of venues, pleased with the Ricoh (Wasps RU ground), half an hour for me. Perhaps they were thinking of Corby aka "Little Scotland" not far away to make up for their lack of actual "home" fixture.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 26 Apr 2016, 2:46 am

Salford

Have been docked 6 points (with immediate effect), for there breaches of the salary cap, though Marvin still thinks they''ve done nothing wrong.

Please Marvin, just shut up, there's no conspiracy, you messed up.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 26 Apr 2016, 9:32 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Salford

Have been docked 6 points (with immediate effect), for there breaches of the salary cap, though Marvin still thinks they''ve done nothing wrong.

Please Marvin, just shut up, there's no conspiracy, you messed up.

Albeit without seeing the details it does appear to me slightly lenient. They are in SL this year having seemingly played at an advantage through the middle 8's, a guaranteed trip back to that tournament this year I think would send a stronger message.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 27 Apr 2016, 3:40 pm

Tony Smith extends contract at Warrington
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/article-3560265/Super-League-stalwart-coach-Tony-Smith-extends-Warrington-stay-2018.html

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 27 Apr 2016, 3:41 pm

Jamie Lyon retires.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/sea-eagles/jamie-lyon-will-retire-at-the-end-of-the-2016-nrl-season/news-story/f2d5eaf1d38dc4203a3d9e6cbc5037eb

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 05 May 2016, 9:24 pm

Bradford;

Rohan Smith is confirmed as the new Head Coach, a 3 year contract moving from Assistant Coach at Gold Coast Titans.

Sounds like a very positive signing and statement of intent from the club.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 19 May 2016, 7:45 pm

Rangi Chase confirms he has left Leigh and the game itself at least for the short term. I am hopeful he will be back to full health and playing again in the not too distant future.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 19 May 2016, 7:59 pm

Marwan Koukash is asking the other 11 SL Chairman to join him in a vote of no confidence in the RFL and is now suggesting that SL needs to go it alone.

I agree with some of his points, the financial state of the game is at best failing behind and probably more likely barely surviving. Splitting from the RFL is however imo not the answer there are numerous unanswered questions regarding governance, grass roots, international games. For that matter who will finance it, to the best of my knowledge the Sky deal is with the RFL. A split now might be good for a few but potentially damage the rest of the sport.

I cannot imagine sufficient support from the other clubs to break away however I do think that if there is enought it might push the RFL into making changes.

Thoughts? Sensible idea/sour grapes over the cap breach?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 21 May 2016, 3:45 am

So the RFL do something that Marwin's not happy about, and he says he's not got confidence in them, anyone else getting a deja Vue feeling.
I think this is sour grapes, because he feels that they should not have been deducted points (tip for you Marwin, don't break the salary cap, this dosn't happen).

I personally feel, that if SL does break away, it will be the death of RL. Why would people go watch the sport if there's nothing to play for, the franchise system proved that as crowds went down, we struggled for sponsorship and we were losing money. We are at least even now, yes we would love more money, but we've are by along way the 4th biggest sport in this country, and because of the dominance of football and the fact we don't have an international calender we aren't going to change that (the reason behind RU & cricket superiority is that they do), we need RL to stick together.

And to be honest, there are more important issues, like what to do with international Rugby ( I still feel that it should be WC, 4/5 nations, hemisphere cup, Lions tour Down under, Anzac tour up here), setting up a proper reserve league, getting crowds in, the challange cup, making other countries leagues stronger, Barla and the problems in the amateur game of clubs closing, and the local leagues, etc.
And all of these are more important than this, and all would make RL stronger.

Just a minor point, but given how abysmally clubs are with marketing there own games to improve crowds bigger, I don't have faith they could run SL or market it properly.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 24 May 2016, 5:59 pm

Sam Barlow (Leigh) has admitted to assualting an official from UK Anti-Doping in July 2015. He will be sentenced on 27th June, following a drug panel hearing on the 6th.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 25 May 2016, 5:49 am

Wakefield, have announced that from next season they will be dropping the Wildcats part of there name, and will be reverting back to there original name of Wakefield Trinity.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 02 Jun 2016, 3:29 pm

NRL;

Reports are that Australian police are investigating allegations of match fixing with particular attention being given to two Manly Sea Eagles games, one v South Sydney the other Parramatta last year.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 03 Jun 2016, 12:13 am

Queensland one up, now its of to Suncorp for the next game.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 05 Jun 2016, 10:26 am

Zak Hardaker is placed onto the transfer lists by Leeds Rhinos. Hardaker quoted as wishing to test himself in the NRL.

Leeds valuation is £300k, might be me but on this seasons' form this seems.........ambitious?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 12 Jun 2016, 7:50 pm

Huddersfield U19 player Ronan Costello is in critical condition following an injury during a match yesterday (11/6). Best wishes to Ronan, family hope he can make a full recovery.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed 15 Jun 2016, 8:05 pm

John Bateman (Wigan) has been suspended by the club for 8 weeks and fined £10k following a recent off field "fracas" aka a fight.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 17 Jun 2016, 12:56 pm

Huddersfield

Have sacked coach Paul Anderson. Now unless there's something gone on behind the scenes we don't now about. I don't get this, sure they been poor this season, but they overachevied that last few years.

Wonder how long Saints are going to stick with Cunningham given how poor there performance's have been this year.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:20 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Huddersfield

Have sacked coach Paul Anderson.  Now unless there's something gone on behind the scenes we don't now about. I don't get this, sure they been poor this season, but they overachevied that last few years.

Wonder how long Saints are going to stick with Cunningham given how poor there performance's have been this year.

Yes I was surprised, they are not being hammered every week, their points difference is -37. The issue however that I do not understand is the timing, seems like a risk pre-middle 8's to make potentially unsettling changes. I do not see anyone being relegated however this is not the time to lose some structure and any remaining stability, smells and sends a message of panic imo but as you mention we of course do not know what goes on in the background.

Cunningham? Not long I would imagine, had they lost to KR on Friday that might have been the final straw.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:27 pm

Nathan Darby (Hunslet Hawks) has been banned for four years following failing a drug test (steroids).

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 27 Jun 2016, 9:58 pm

Richard Silverwood (referee) has been suspended by the RFL. Unsurprisingly and rightly no reason specified.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 02 Jul 2016, 12:25 pm

Bradford Bulls;

hopefully an administrative glitch however the club faces in winding up order in court on Monday 4/7. They have just signed Dave Chisholm so it does not make sense for this to be the end of the line but this is the second order in the last year, not good at all.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 03 Jul 2016, 8:58 pm

The Beast wrote:Bradford Bulls;

hopefully an administrative glitch however the club faces in winding up order in court on Monday 4/7. They have just signed Dave Chisholm so it does not make sense for this to be the end of the line but this is the second order in the last year, not good at all.

Winding up Order from the HMRC is apparently due to payment arriving late 6 weeks ago. It was all sorted however due to the Bulls previous track record HMRC's policy is to not lift the order in the chance other payments are not made. All to be dealt with tomorrow at court, somewhat of a waste of time IMO.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:57 am

Salford;

lose their appeal for breaches of the salary cap. It is reported that Salford hid payments to players using another company, I cannot understand how Dr. Koukash who is clearly very successful and intelligent is claiming they have not broken the rules? Things get said in the heat of the moment but this is something they have time to consider.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 22 Jul 2016, 10:06 pm

Pat Richards (Catalans) announces his retirement at the end of the season, top class player, good luck for the future.

Bad news, York City Knights close due to financial difficulties. They might finish the season but with Sheffield also on the brink it would be possibly unfortunate to announce Championship and League One clubs subject to income are allowed to spend up to the SL salary cap from 2017...........oh.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 02 Aug 2016, 8:43 pm

Quick roundup;

Richard Silverwood retires from referee duties with immeadiate effect.

The USA have submitted a bid to host the 2021 World Cup

Bradford; Steve Ferres leaves his position as M.D. with the club and retires from the game (see rumours).

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 06 Aug 2016, 1:26 am

The Beast wrote:Quick roundup;

Richard Silverwood retires from referee duties with immeadiate effect.  

The USA have submitted a bid to host the 2021 World Cup

Bradford; Steve Ferres leaves his position as M.D. with the club and retires from the game (see rumours).

The USA world cup bids intresting. I sort of feel that it should go there to spread ťhe game.
And because I'm not impressed by the rfl choice of stadiums. The reason the 2013 WC was a success, was because it was in the RL heartland with small stadiums packed for the games that were allocated right.
This time we just want big stadiums with lots of seats.

if we're really intrested in spread our great game, and trying to get an international game and strengthening the league's in other countries then this might be the way to go.

after all how else are we going to get an American franchise into our league. Think we should go to South Africa for a franchise after.

perhaps if the Rfl put as much effort into the heartlands as they do into chasing franchises and SL, after all without a strong base the rest comes tumbling down.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 19 Aug 2016, 3:22 am

tigerrobins wrote:Wakefield, have announced that from next season they will be dropping the Wildcats part of there name, and will be reverting back to there original name of Wakefield Trinity.

Hunslet have now announced that after fans replied to a survey, they will be dropping the Hawks part of there name, and will be called Hunslet RLFC from next season.

raises an intresting question. If clubs with these names surveyed there fans, how many would vote to keep them?
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 19 Aug 2016, 10:17 am

raises an intresting question. If clubs with these names surveyed there fans, how many would vote to keep them?

Yes, interesting, more outside of SL than in would be my guess. Some do sound a bit silly with crowds south of 500.

Dave Taylor (Catalans) pleads guilty to the charge of possession of Class A drugs whilst playing for Gold Coast Titans. Two other Titans players also charged with similar offences. Taylor will be sentenced in November after the end of the SL season (arguably now after being hammered by Hull).

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:23 pm

Sheffield Eagles have released a statement basically saying whilst they are fighting tooth and nail to continue they will shortly run out of funds and may possibly not be able to finish the season. Awful news, hopefully they can find new funding asap, big city, in the heartlands, it would be desperate for them to close.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 22 Aug 2016, 8:06 pm

Gareth Hewer who is part-time will referee Saturday's Challenge Cup Final, Warrington v Hull FC.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 22 Aug 2016, 8:08 pm

Bradford Bulls;

CEO Robbie Hunter Paul is taking time away from the club on compassionate leave following a recent family bereavement. Best wishes to Robbie and his family.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 22 Aug 2016, 10:48 pm

The Beast wrote:raises an intresting question. If clubs with these names surveyed there fans, how many would vote to keep them?

Yes, interesting, more outside of SL than in would be my guess. Some do sound a bit silly with crowds south of 500.

Dave Taylor (Catalans) pleads guilty to the charge of possession of Class A drugs whilst playing for Gold Coast Titans.  Two other Titans players also charged with similar offences.  Taylor will be sentenced in November after the end of the SL season (arguably now after being hammered by Hull).

thing is there are arguably only 5 off these clubs were the name works, Sheffield, Keighley, Castleford, Bradford & Warrington (and Warrington is arguable). The rest were just for marketable gain ťhat haven't worked.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 24 Aug 2016, 8:03 am

tigerrobins wrote:Wakefield, have announced that from next season they will be dropping the Wildcats part of there name, and will be reverting back to there original name of Wakefield Trinity.
Sounds good to me

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 29 Aug 2016, 1:15 pm

Bradford;

following a short period of compassionate leave Robbie Hunter Paul resigns from his post of CEO. Good luck for the future Robbie.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 03 Sep 2016, 10:56 am

The Beast wrote:Bradford;

following a short period of compassionate leave Robbie Hunter Paul resigns from his post of CEO.  Good luck for the future Robbie.
Possibly thought he was going around in circles due the the Bulls present situation.
I would have thought what ever career path he chooses he will be a success.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 10 Sep 2016, 8:18 pm

Sam Barlow (Leigh) is banned from all sport for 4 years following an incident where he allegedly had a physical altercation with a doping control officer.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 12 Sep 2016, 9:08 pm

The Beast wrote:Sam Barlow (Leigh) is banned from all sport  for 4 years following an incident where he allegedly had a physical altercation with a doping control officer.
He's a lucky boy he didn't get longer.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 16 Sep 2016, 2:23 am

South Wales are on the move again, this time to Merthyr Tydfil. They are also changing there name to South Wales Ironmen.

Dewsbury and Hemel have announced that they are to link up from next year.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 24 Sep 2016, 11:04 am

After a 15 year professional career Kirk Yeaman will retire at the end of the season, talk of a back-room job at Hull FC. Best wishes to him for whatever is next.

Catalan Dragons release Eloi Pelissier (Hooker), Glen Stewart will leave back to Australia with 2 years remaining on his contract for family reasons.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 30 Sep 2016, 7:50 pm

George Hotel1895 wrote:
The Beast wrote:Sam Barlow (Leigh) is banned from all sport  for 4 years following an incident where he allegedly had a physical altercation with a doping control officer.
He's a lucky boy he didn't get longer.

To the best of my knowledge 4 years is the maximum for a first offence. Now also on the receiving end of a criminal conviction and 150 hours community service, plenty of time to think about his actions.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 30 Sep 2016, 7:52 pm

England;

Paul Anderson, former Huddersfield coach is appointed Asst. Coach for the Four Nations tournament.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 01 Oct 2016, 8:07 am

The Beast wrote:England;

Paul Anderson, former Huddersfield coach is appointed Asst. Coach for the Four Nations tournament.
I know he wasn't a great success at Huddersfield, but i think he will be a success as an assistant to Wayne Bennett. I wish him well.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed 05 Oct 2016, 7:41 pm

Hull KR;

Jamie Peacock's resignation is refused by the club. I would be interesting to know if he still thinks more money should go to SL rather than lower leagues as he recently said on BBC SL show?

The club also announce that they will be full time next year, essential imo.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 09 Oct 2016, 11:20 am

Congratulations to Wigan, winning the Grand Final v Warrington at Old Trafford.

Hard fought tough, pretty fast paced but imo somehow a bit dull, can't remember many moments of quality attacking play.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sun 09 Oct 2016, 12:12 pm

The Beast wrote:Hull KR;

Jamie Peacock's resignation is refused by the club.  I would be interesting to know if he still thinks more money should go to SL rather than lower leagues as he recently said on BBC SL show?

The club also announce that they will be full time next year, essential imo.
I would think JPs opinion will change now.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 16 Oct 2016, 2:01 pm

Melbourne Storm confirm that they do not wish to play in the World Club series, other Australian teams are expected to follow suit. It is likely just to be Wigan v Sharks if at all.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 17 Oct 2016, 8:46 am

The Beast wrote:Melbourne Storm confirm that they do not wish to play in the World Club series, other Australian teams are expected to follow suit.  It is likely just to be Wigan v Sharks if at all.
That's the way it should be in my opinion. The top team from the NH playing the top team from the SH

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 24 Oct 2016, 8:42 am

Wakefield have started an investigation into a police incident allegedly involving Hooker Scott Moore. They are apparently waiting for Police reports before deciding if further action is required.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 25 Oct 2016, 2:38 am

Can someone explain please how York aren't on the fixture list but Sheffield who are in exactly the same situation are?
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next