The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Predictions for 2016

+7
Shifty
WELL-PAST-IT
mikey_dragon
aucklandlaurie
majesticimperialman
Gwlad
blackcanelion
11 posters

Go down

Predictions for 2016 Empty Predictions for 2016

Post by blackcanelion Fri 01 Jan 2016, 1:41 am

Some predictions/thoughts for the coming year.

6 Nations: I'm going out on a limb. France 1st, England 2nd.

English Premiership: Probably Saracens, would like Exeter to win though.

Pro 12: Probably an Irish side. Would like to see Connacht to do well. Good for the game in Ireland.

Top 14: Toulon, Toulon, Touilon. Only 4th at the moment. But with a galaxy of internationals back, it's hard to see past them.

European rugby champions cup: To hard for me. To many permutations. I would't be surprised if it's a French English shootout.

World series sevens: Closest fought series yet. With at least half a dozen teams going close (Fiji, SA, Argentina, USA, France, England, Kenya, Australia and NZ). I think this year will be a sign of things to come competitively.

June tours: NZ 3-0 Wales, SA 3-0 Ireland, Australia 2-1 England, Argentina 2-0 France, Japan 1-1 Scotland. Essentially, even with the big shake up in NZ, it's been a very long year for the boys up north. A bridge to far I think.

Super Rugby: I'm guessing it will be a Kiwi or Australian team taking it out. Wouldn't be surprised if we say a repeat by the Highlanders.

Olympic Sevens: Could go anywhere. Don't be surprised if the USA end up winning gold.

Rugby Championship: Open question. Could be Australia. Boks have an as yet unnamed new coach, NZ in transition, Argentina have yet to win more than 1 match (could do it this year). Australia look the most settled.

Currie Cup: No idea. Changes so much from year to year, probably one of the big 5.

ITM Cup: Canterbury. NZ's answer to the starwars evil galactice empire has won 7 out of the last 8 seasons.

Australian National Championship: I have no idea. Probably Brisbane City who won the last two years.

November Tours:
England 4-0. I think the boks will rest players, the Aussies experiment (+ an additional game is often 1 game to many).
Wales 1-3. Australia and SA are always hard for Wales. They may struggle to get up against a fresh Argentina
Ireland 2-2. 2 games against NZ and one against Australia. Think they could pinch 1.
Scotland 3-0. Murrayfield in the cold. They're a bogey team for Australia.
France 2-1. Who knows with France. Could beat NZ or Australia.

Thoughts:

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Predictions for 2016 Empty Re: Predictions for 2016

Post by Gwlad Fri 01 Jan 2016, 7:05 pm

Goes without saying England will come 2nd in the 6 Nations (even though they are 8th in the world)

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 01 Jan 2016, 8:15 pm

Gwlad wrote:Goes without saying England will come 2nd in the 6 Nations (even though they are 8th in the world)

Seeing that Wales are 4th in the world Rankings.   they should win the 6ns. eh gwlad. Smile

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 01 Jan 2016, 8:43 pm

1. All Black sevens to win gold medal.

2. Maori All blacks to beat the Lions.

3. All Blacks to win every game in 2016.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 02 Jan 2016, 1:02 am

Not exactly sitting on the fence with these predictions are ya... But anyway, Wales to grand slam the 6 Nations and win all games on their tour to NZ. Then we'll probably do a clean sweep in the autumn internationals thereafter.

thumbsup

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:36 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Not exactly sitting on the fence with these predictions are ya... But anyway, Wales to grand slam the 6 Nations and win all games on their tour to NZ. Then we'll probably do a clean sweep in the autumn internationals thereafter, and then he woke up back in reality!

thumbsup

As they say "fixed it" for you
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:35 am

I'm hopeful Welsh teams starting to push up in the Pro12.
The problem is the Scrlets and Ospreys don't have a lot of depth, so injuries / call ups hit us hard. Though I think Irelands dominance is starting to drop off a little. I fancy both teams to do well next year provided injuries aren't too terrible.

England for the 6 nations this season. My reasoning being they have the 2 easy games first up in Scotland and Italy, then have Ireland and Wales at home and a final game in France. Eddie Jones either succeeds beyond all expectation or fails in spectacular fashion. I just can't see him falling flat on his face at the start though.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:38 am

Six Nations; England
Rugby Championship; New Zealand

Champions Cup; Saracens
Premiership; Exeter
Pro12; Ulster
Top14; Toulouse
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sat 02 Jan 2016, 12:37 pm

I think of all the tournaments, the 6 Nations is the hardest to call.

My favourite to win would be Wales and I can see them getting the grand slam. They had a decent RWC given their unfortunate injury list and were the best NH team IMO. Add to that they've had so much time with Gatland and the current crop of coaching staff, I think they'll have the best standing going into the tournament. The Scarlets and Ospreys are playing some good rugby and Cardiff are on the up so the players should be in good form.

I think England and France are just too hard to predict. Although France has good attacking players like Huget, Fofana, Fickou, they have had their opportunities at international level and haven't looked as threatening as SH backs. I'm not sure what Guy Noves can add. I think England could be dangerous given the RWC hangover. Players like Jamie George, Itoje, Hughes, Nowell & Daly will be great to see.

Ireland are tough to predict. Argentina really shocked them and I can't see the Irish gameplan changing much. I do feel they have some great players particularly in the backs who might get gametime, such as Ringrose, Mccloskey, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Henshaw, Gilroy. I think Ireland need a bit of a rehaul though, and these players could certainly help.

I am pessimistic about Scotland's hopes. I think we had a bad RWC and in some ways didn't deserve to go through in the Australia game. We were not up to the mark vs SA, only played a decent 40 mins, not 80, vs Japan and USA, and were exposed by Samoa. Against Australia we were only in it due to 2 intercept/charge downs whilst Australia crafted some very easy looking tries. Add to that Glasgow not playing well, and I'm worried. I think we can put out a 15 that can compete though, but I think we'll end up 5th.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 02 Jan 2016, 12:52 pm

6N- Wales to gatlandball themselves to another title after losing the first game. England token second
Jeff- Sarries
Pro 12- Scarlets or Connacht
RCC- Toulon/ASM/ Sarries
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 02 Jan 2016, 5:05 pm

Notch wrote:Six Nations; England
Rugby Championship; New Zealand

Champions Cup; Saracens
Premiership; Exeter
Pro12; Ulster
Top14; Toulouse

Based on what? Eddie jones being made coach?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 02 Jan 2016, 6:01 pm

No, although the new coach bounce will give them a much-needed kick in the arse. I'm expecting them to be among two or three sides that win four out of five and I think with Ireland likely to drop off this year as we try and replace several players they are best placed to rack up the highest points difference. I'm not expecting great things from France or Ireland and they have a more dangerous set of backs than Wales so I think they'll shade it on points difference.

I think it will be;

1. England 8
2. Wales 8
3. Ireland 6
4. France 6
5. Scotland 2
6. Italy 0
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 02 Jan 2016, 6:09 pm

What is their starting line up in the backs?

Ford or Farrell?

Barrit?

May is gone, Manu still crocked.

No Slade.

They had the same set of backs a couple of months ago….didn't see much danger from them other than int he austin 'danger' powers sense

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:27 pm

I don't think France are more dangerous than us in the backs however if our injury list to centres and back 3 players continues/gets worse then they certainly will be. For the last four years we've been told to watch out for France and their scything backline in particular - they've only managed to score one try past Wales and were lucky that a forward pass was missed for that one!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 03 Jan 2016, 4:35 am

Webb should be back but Davies should start…I believe JD2 is fit, North and Amos also unsure about L Willaims. It would be great to start with the same backs that beat England.

Forgot, Lloyd, Priest and Cuthbert the Dull beat England and two of them were out of position.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun 03 Jan 2016, 7:02 am

Yes JD2 is fit and should be in peak form during the 6N. France back line look even less inspiring than in previous years but should deliver more without the negative coaching of Lagisquet.
My predictions:
- 6N : Wales no GS
- RC : NZ
- ERCC : racing to beat Saracens in the final (being on France)
- T14: whoever is in form during the last 3 month, can be pretty much anyone. My dark horse is Montpelier if they make the playoffs but Toulon is clearly after this one.
- AP: wasps
- pro12: Ulster
- SuperRugby: Tahs with the Jags as clear dark horses.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 03 Jan 2016, 2:31 pm

With JD2 back playing regularly he should join Roberts in the midfield, with Cory Allen as back-up. Amos, Morgan and Williams will probably be later additions to the team given they won't have had much/any game time before Feb. Also Rhys Webb like the others is close to a return, but as long as Gareth Davies remains fit we should be okay there. I don't want to see Cuthbert in the team, nor Tom James - I would prefer to see priority given to Walker and Hewitt.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 03 Jan 2016, 3:24 pm

For Wales it's got to be (if fit):
15 Liam Williams
14 Leigh Halfpenny
13 JD2
12 Jamie Roberts
11 George North
10 Dan Biggar
9 Rhys Webb
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 03 Jan 2016, 3:33 pm

And we know for a fact that they all won't be fit.....

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down