The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight Transfer

+6
graeme
McLaren
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
navyblueshorts
Onetoanother
The_Phenom
10 posters

Go down

Weight Transfer Empty Weight Transfer

Post by The_Phenom Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:18 am

Does anyone have any tips on transferring the weight to left side on the downswing. I feel like im getting stuck on my right side on the way down and thus becoming inconsistent with my ball striking. I strike the ball fairly well but in the last month the quality of strike had reduced and the distance and flight has been affected. I would go as far as saying i've lost around 10 yards on average with my driver.

I've tried a few things like driving my hips forward whilst rotating but that feels like my upper body is getting stuck even further behind the ball.

I NEED HELP!!!

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Weight Transfer Empty Re: Weight Transfer

Post by Onetoanother Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:25 am

try to imagine the first move to be a turning from the hips - this brings the hands then arms down.

Weight Transfer all starts witgh good posture though. if you are set up worng - weight more on heals, too close to ball etc etc you will struggle and get the club 'stuck' as they say. Look at your posture first, hands naturally hanging down, bow to the ball only slight leg knee flex.

Once you have good posture then try and clear the hips and therefore body as the arms start to come down. this will bring the weight through naturally. Weight transfer is not a big shift of movement to the left (right handed golfers) but a movement of the body as it turns out of the coil you have made on your down swing.

Hope that helps a bit.

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:32 am

Cheers for the help one2. I have been working on the hips starting the downswing 1st but when I do focus on that I tend to leave my arms waiting and then block the shot way out to the right, once I time it though I think it will work out as even though I block it the strike itself is out the middle and feels solid.

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:48 am

Onetoanother wrote:try to imagine the first move to be a turning from the hips - this brings the hands then arms down.

Weight Transfer all starts witgh good posture though. if you are set up worng - weight more on heals, too close to ball etc etc you will struggle and get the club 'stuck' as they say. Look at your posture first, hands naturally hanging down, bow to the ball only slight leg knee flex.

Once you have good posture then try and clear the hips and therefore body as the arms start to come down. this will bring the weight through naturally. Weight transfer is not a big shift of movement to the left (right handed golfers) but a movement of the body as it turns out of the coil you have made on your down swing.

Hope that helps a bit.

I disagree to some extent here. Yes, you have to rotate your hips but you must have a reasonable lateral shift of weight down the line.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:49 am

if you are finding the block its because your arms are not coming fast enough. Its not about hitting it harder just increasing acceleration through the contact point. once you clear the hips the arms can go like the clappers if you want. Firstly get the hips and body clearing then work on swing speed. Block really just means arms are slow as body has turned - an issue i face myself.

One thing at a time though. get the body uncoiling then work on a small increase in speed through impact. You wont need a huge increase in speed mind you - its a game a tiny fractions remeber. And dont try and increase speed by getting writsy on it...then you will be all sorts of hooking trouble Whistle

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:52 am

Nvay - a solid uncoiling will give the weight shift. Most golfers try and jump on the left side to give weight shift. thats not required. A simple uncoiling to the left pushes the weight left anyway. Watch Luke Donalds turn out. Its a hips and uncoil not really a sudden shift of power and down the line. Lukes swing is really the best at showing a simple turn left. David Thoms is also very good on slow mow for showing the simplicity of the turn out from the coiled position.

oh and i type fast and cant spell so sorry in advance Rolling Eyes

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:22 am

Rotate don't slide forward.

It is not a bump of the hips to the left, but a rotation of the hips.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:44 am

Rotation, Rotation, Rotation. As the lovely Kirsty Allsop would say.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

It's a combination but that's semantics. You have to rotate your hips as part of what naturally happens if you're going to swing ~300g on a 4 foot stick at ~100mph while hitting a ball but if you simply concentrate on hip rotation as a be all and end all you'll never get enough weight through the hitting area to make solid contact. Most people talk about a divot starting ~4" after the ball and that isn't going to happen with simply a hip rotation. What a lot of people say they do and what they actually do are two different things.

Food for thought?:

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/29616/the-biggest-secret-slide-your-hips
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:43 pm

the pro i went to had me thinking about pushing off my right foot as the rotation began to drag it up. it's all about milliseconds and might not work for you but you could give it a try...

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:06 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:It's a combination but that's semantics. You have to rotate your hips as part of what naturally happens if you're going to swing ~300g on a 4 foot stick at ~100mph while hitting a ball but if you simply concentrate on hip rotation as a be all and end all you'll never get enough weight through the hitting area to make solid contact. Most people talk about a divot starting ~4" after the ball and that isn't going to happen with simply a hip rotation. What a lot of people say they do and what they actually do are two different things.

Food for thought?:

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/29616/the-biggest-secret-slide-your-hips

I agree with Navy - in order to strike the ball first and then ground second, you need a combination of lateral and rotational movement for in my view it's the lateral movement that creates the divot because it moves your centre of gravity towards the target.... although I've never managed a divot 4" in front of the ball, my average is between 1" and 2" but still generally gives a clean strike.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:08 pm

My advice

a) book an hour with your pro rather than trying to make sense of the advice on here, good advice as it may be

b) do not beleive that Kirty Allsop is in fact lovely
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 02 Jun 2011, 2:52 pm

Yadsendew wrote:....although I've never managed a divot 4" in front of the ball, my average is between 1" and 2" but still generally gives a clean strike.

TBH, it may be I meant max divot depth at ~4" Laugh. Starting one at ~4" sounds a like it'll hurt a bit reading it back! I'll fetch my coat...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Thu 02 Jun 2011, 3:09 pm

wouldnt get hung up on size of divot - its the strike that matters...divots just happen. ball first and all that.

Weight transfer is made out to be something tricky or tough to do...its really not, its just about 'rotating' as another poster pointed out. Its like releasing the club. another simple concept wrapped up in rubbish.

anyway, thats another subject im sure.

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 02 Jun 2011, 3:18 pm

Onetoanother wrote:...ball first and all that.

Indeed. Requiring weight moving forward.

Onetoanother wrote:Weight transfer is made out to be something tricky or tough to do...its really not

Agreed.

Onetoanother wrote:, its just about 'rotating' as another poster pointed out

Simplistically (wrongly?), IMO.

Onetoanother wrote:Its like releasing the club. another simple concept wrapped up in rubbish.

I hope you're in the 'release is a natural consequence of a decent downswing and not something to be actively manipulated' camp.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Thu 02 Jun 2011, 3:50 pm

releasing the club comes naturally yeah...didnt know anyone actively tried to roll hands/arms through contact. Thast a doomed vision and will lead to sad walks with big scores and kicking of many cats.

dunno what you mean by Simplistically (wrongly?), IMO. Please explain Smile

Still say avoiding a left side slide is key and a simple rotation is enough. Like a whirling dervish only less whirling and more dervish...

ok had too much coffee must rest and try out new putter ive just bought. that will be 17 putters now. I collect them - its a hobby...honest Sad

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by sejorge Sun 05 Jun 2011, 5:27 pm

I agree with Navy on this one, weight transfer cannot soley be produced by rotation.

If you actively shift your weight away from the target in the backswing and simply rotate in the downswing your weight will largely remain on your rear leg....as chubbs peterson says "it's all in the hips"this guy explains why far better than I ever could
http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/weight.htm

also look at this video of a Luke Donald drill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY1KfhysbEA
he's clearly working on a lateral hip move/squat prior to any rotation

sejorge

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:40 pm

Turn your club around and hold it at the face end.
Pretend someone is throwing a tennis ball at you.
Hit it rounders/baseball style.
= perfect weight movement for golf.
Simples.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down