The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster v Benetton Treviso 2nd October

+7
Don Alfonso
geoff999rugby
clivemcl
neilthom7
Notch
Pete330v2
marty2086
11 posters

Go down

Ulster v Benetton Treviso 2nd October Empty Ulster v Benetton Treviso 2nd October

Post by neilthom7 Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:35 pm

Ulster v Benetton Treviso 2nd October Ulster10          Ulster v Benetton Treviso 2nd October Trevis10
Ulster Rugby v Benetton Treviso
Friday 2nd October 2015
Kick Off: 18:05
Venue- Kingspan Stadium, Belfast
TV- BBC NI

The Pro 12 is back after a few weeks off at the start if the world cup.  Earlier kick off for this one, do we think it will affect attendence?
So far this season Ulster have won 1 convincingly v Ospreys then lost in a poor performance v Scarlets while Treviso have pushed both Munster and Edinburgh close.  Would like to think this should be relatively comfortable for Ulster but is there a danger of an upset? Most importantly what will Neil Doak have drilled into those players after the toothless performance v Scarlets?

Teams
Ulster
Ludik; Trimble, L Marshall, McCloskey, Gilroy; Nelson, P Marshall; Warwick, Herring (capt), Herbst; Browne, Tuohy; Diack, Reidy, Wilson.

Replacements: Paul Jackson, Black, Ross, Stevenson, Ross, Shanahan, Arnold, Scholes.

Treviso
Hayward; Nitoglia, Iannone, Pratichetti, Ragusi; Christie, Smylie; Zanusso, Santamaria, Harden; Naude, Palmer; Barbini, Budd, Barbieri.

Replacements: Bigi, Alberto De Marchi, Ferrari, Montauriol, Andrea De Marchi, Steyn, Lucchese, Ambrosini

Match Officials
Referee- Lloyd Linton (SRU)
Touch Judges- Sean Gallagher and Brian MacNeice (IRFU)
TMO- Kevin Beggs (IRFU)

Last edited by neilthom7 on Thu 01 Oct 2015, 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Benetton Treviso 2nd October Empty Re: Ulster v Benetton Treviso 2nd October

Post by marty2086 Wed 30 Sep 2015, 11:26 am

Irish touch judges and TMO must be rigged for Ulster to win it Rolling Eyes

Its usually one of the games that doesn't sell out, with players away at the RWC along with the kick off time I cant see it be one of the bigger attendances at Ravenhill this season

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Benetton Treviso 2nd October Empty Re: Ulster v Benetton Treviso 2nd October

Post by Guest Wed 30 Sep 2015, 12:57 pm

Doak saying that we need to respond to the loss at Scarlets; " blah blah blah blah...."

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 30 Sep 2015, 2:31 pm

marty2086 wrote:Irish touch judges and TMO must be rigged for Ulster to win it Rolling Eyes

Its usually one of the games that doesn't sell out, with players away at the RWC along with the kick off time I cant see it be one of the bigger attendances at Ravenhill this season

Yeah I agree on attendances hopefully it wont be too bad though

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 30 Sep 2015, 3:01 pm

I'm sure the Ravespan faithful are dying to get back into their seats for a game so you never do know, the attendance could be very good for this game.
As for Doak claiming the team needs to respond to the loss at Scarlets....NO S4IT DOAKY, DO YOU REALLY THINK SO DOAKY? WITH STATEMENTS LIKE THAT I CAN SEE WHY YOU ARE SUPREME COACHING MATERIAL DOAKY.
Talk about stating the obvious.....
What about growing a pair and saying something like how the coaching team and the players need to buck up their ideas and perform to their abilities in this match.

Phew, rant over.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 30 Sep 2015, 5:08 pm

It's a shame about the kick-off time, but this is the RWC so I think its the right call. Hopefully will catch the game after the game! UR should be trying to get fans to stay to watch the RWC afterwards in the ground. The bar takings would make up for any shortfall in ticket sales.

Guys, what coach would come in and give details to the media? You don't give them details, you give them broad quotes. Not saying Doak comes across well or that he strikes me as a coaching genius but giving the media broad cliches and keeping the real analysis and insight (if there is any) behind doors is really coaching 101.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 30 Sep 2015, 6:14 pm

Sadly I will be confined most likely to a train up from Dublin at that time on my way back from work so hopefully they have good wifi and bbc's iplayer is feeling like cooperating.
Also I agree on Doak while he is possibly not the worlds greatest coach and comes accross badly he isn't likely to give anything away to the media as much as it would be nice if he did

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Sep 2015, 6:35 pm

My comment on Doak wasn't that it lacked details. It was that I am tired of hearing the same mantra, from different coaches, after another lacklustre Ulster display and defeat away. We should be going all out to win those games. It wasn't as if we had a big game the following week. They had a two weeks break from competitive games to look forward to mad

The manner in which Ulster responds to that loss won't change it being a loss. Bolts - horses - stable - door. Or something like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 30 Sep 2015, 10:14 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34407593

Couple of tries a game should help with that goal Craig, start this weekend sure if you feel like it Very Happy

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 01 Oct 2015, 12:17 pm

Notch wrote:It's a shame about the kick-off time, but this is the RWC so I think its the right call. Hopefully will catch the game after the game! UR should be trying to get fans to stay to watch the RWC afterwards in the ground. The bar takings would make up for any shortfall in ticket sales.

Guys, what coach would come in and give details to the media? You don't give them details, you give them broad quotes. Not saying Doak comes across well or that he strikes me as a coaching genius but giving the media broad cliches and keeping the real analysis and insight (if there is any) behind doors is really coaching 101.

'With an earlier kick off time of 6.05pm, the Ulster v Treviso game will have free pre-match entertainment for kids including face paints, jumping clay and a climbing wall. Post-match the Line Out bar will be showing the New Zealand v Georgia RWC game live, with bar facilities open to those over 18 only.'

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 01 Oct 2015, 12:17 pm

(15-9): Louis Ludik; Andrew Trimble, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Craig Gilroy; Peter Nelson, Paul Marshall; (1-8): Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring (captain), Wiehahn Herbst, Peter Browne, Dan Tuohy, Robbie Diack, Sean Reidy, Roger Wilson;
Replacements (16-23): Paul Jackson, Callum Black, Bronson Ross, Lewis Stevenson, Clive Ross, David Shanahan, Sam Arnold, Rory Scholes.

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 01 Oct 2015, 1:26 pm

With games like these I worry that players start to feel like their little league is irrelevant, and they will just get the win in the bag and take the foot off the gas.
I hope they see the bigger picture. I hope Doak has put the challenge to them. We want the irish boys coming back wondering if the shirt is still theirs. For example - Bowe and Cave. I hope the boys want to prove a point. I hope we are clinical, but ultimately ruthless.

Also... Who is out-half cover?? Headscratch

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Oct 2015, 1:34 pm

marty2086 wrote:(15-9): Louis Ludik; Andrew Trimble, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Craig Gilroy; Peter Nelson, Paul Marshall; (1-8): Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring (captain), Wiehahn Herbst, Peter Browne, Dan Tuohy, Robbie Diack, Sean Reidy, Roger Wilson;
Replacements (16-23): Paul Jackson, Callum Black, Bronson Ross, Lewis Stevenson, Clive Ross, David Shanahan, Sam Arnold, Rory Scholes.

Is Humphs still injured? Not that I don't trust Nelson more. Browne getting another start. I thought he had a poor game v Scarlets. Van der Merwe must be injured otherwise I'm sure he would start. Good to see Scholes on the bench. He is a player that could challenge for a starting spot in the future.

What's happened to O'Connor? He's a player I expected to see much more of.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 01 Oct 2015, 1:45 pm

I think Browne was penalised harshly a few times at the breakdown for what seemed good turnovers but plenty had bad games against Scarlets

Its times like these though we miss geoff

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Oct 2015, 1:48 pm

marty2086 wrote:I think Browne was penalised harshly a few times at the breakdown for what seemed good turnovers but plenty had bad games against Scarlets

Its times like these though we miss geoff

True enough, there wasn't too many that shone. In fact it was only McCloskey that stood out, for me.

Yep, where are you geoff? We need info Ulster v Benetton Treviso 2nd October 3933776953

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu 01 Oct 2015, 4:47 pm

I'm guessing marshall or mccloskey would play 10 if Nelson was injured or something. Lets hope we get all 5 points here although I'm guessing they will certainly not be a rollover after their results in the first 2 games.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 01 Oct 2015, 5:23 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Notch wrote:It's a shame about the kick-off time, but this is the RWC so I think its the right call. Hopefully will catch the game after the game! UR should be trying to get fans to stay to watch the RWC afterwards in the ground. The bar takings would make up for any shortfall in ticket sales.

'With an earlier kick off time of 6.05pm, the Ulster v Treviso game will have free pre-match entertainment for kids including face paints, jumping clay and a climbing wall. Post-match the Line Out bar will be showing the New Zealand v Georgia RWC game live, with bar facilities open to those over 18 only.'

OK OK
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 02 Oct 2015, 10:07 am

Hi guys been thinking of returning for some time.

A lot going on in my personal life, some good some bad, and I didn't want to post and then disappear again for weeks on end.
Even now not entirely freed up but will come here as often as possible.
I have retired from my main, i.e. paid position, and whoever said you will never be as busy when you are retired knew what they were talking about.

As a consequence one big contact not as strong as it was.
However one door shuts and another opens, being retired means that some other contacts have developed, so hopefully will still be able to provide some useful updates.

Have some interesting info re personal movements but a busy weekend ahead so may not be able to provide all information in a coherent post till early next week.

In the meantime lets get 5 points tonight  Ulster v Benetton Treviso 2nd October 3933776953

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Oct 2015, 10:40 am

Welcome back, geoff Very Happy

Hope you're able to enjoy your retirement, even if busy.

Hoping for the 5 points tonight, but think it will be a bigger ask than in previous seasons.

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 02 Oct 2015, 10:42 am

Welcome back Geoff, good to have you back.

I agree lets get the 5 points

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 02 Oct 2015, 10:42 am

Welcome back to the welcoming arms of the fold Geoff.
Do enjoy that retirement and extract every drop of pleasure from leaving the rat race Smile

As you say, 5 points tonight and may I add a try-fest too Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 02 Oct 2015, 11:55 am

Welcome back, Geoff. Great to hear from you again.

That's a strong Ulster team, at home. Hoping for the five points.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 02 Oct 2015, 1:25 pm

Ask and you shall receive, maybe if I mention how much I'd like Jennifer Lawrence's phone number that'll happen too?

Welcome back Geoff

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 02 Oct 2015, 4:59 pm

Enjoyed watching Nagusa last night. Probably could have finished that Fiji try himself, but sensibly gave the final pass. Fiji finally became at least entertaining again last night. Twas very enjoyable.

Welcome back by the way Geoff!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 02 Oct 2015, 7:28 pm

Welcome back Geoff.

Gosh, this looks like a close and tense game. Whistle
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 02 Oct 2015, 7:41 pm

Just lol at Lewis Stevenson realizing he wasn't going to make the line and deciding to steam roller the Treviso wing.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Oct 2015, 8:09 pm

I'm not sure what happened. It looked to me that the try was on and he just decided it would be more fun smashing into the player. Glad he got his try at the end anyway.

Good performance from Ulster. Gilroys try was superb. Nelson is the better option at 10, after Jackson. More of that in the next game.

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 02 Oct 2015, 9:28 pm

Good win did well and after their poor start to the 2nd half didn't just stop bothering which is what I expected with the bonus point and all secure. Nelson looks good a 10 now a definite alternative to Ihumph, we will need a solid goalkicker in tighter games though

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 02 Oct 2015, 10:02 pm

Wasn't one for the purists, as it traditionally takes two teams to be remembered as such! But I was happy with the Ulster performance tonight. What I'm most pleased about is the evolution of Gilroy, who looks really balanced as a player now. I think he has just started to put it all together in the last 12 months and McCloskeys offloading continues to be a weapon.

On Nelson- another very good performance from him, which is wonderful. You couldn't ask for much more. For me, the jury is still out; is he a stopgap or is he a 10 in waiting? And I do not have an answer. I'm not convinced that the games against Ospreys and Treviso saw him put under enough pressure to really make a judgment on whether this could be longer-term. Can he steer the ship when he isn't getting the armchair ride he's had in out 2 home games and we are on the back foot territory wise, and if not can he develop into a 10 that can? I still don't know. Collectively we're working very hard to take the pressure off his shoulders from a game management sense while he settles into the role- just as we absolutely should be. Reading it back it sounds like I'm being very curmudgeonly after he's played well again in a position we never expected to see him thrown into! Thats not my intent at all. I do think for a guy who's played there so rarely to get thrown in at the deep end and play as he's done is superb. And of course the other 10s Windsor and Humphreys have their own weaknesses. Nelson seems to be a better kicker from hand than Windsor based on what I've seen of him. He's certainly a better defender and tackler than Humph, and has better contact skills! Offers more of a running threat. I will be interested to see how it pans out in that shirt.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Fri 02 Oct 2015, 11:01 pm

McCloskey has the potential to be something very special. He's not entirely polished just yet in terms of his positioning etc., but to say he has all the tools is an understatement. There are moments out there when he looks like a man amongst boys.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 02 Oct 2015, 11:42 pm

There is a reason why Nelson is the youngest ever player to represent Ulster - he plays with his head up. I think Doak should take some credit for showing faith in him and surprising a lot of people with McCloskey as place kicker.

I need to see the game on TV but both Marshalls were really good, especially the way Luke was ordering the defence about, and he looked to be regaining some form of old. The unsung hero was Sean Reidy who was the pick of the backrow and got through a mountain of work.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sat 03 Oct 2015, 10:34 am

I cannot get enthused as other.

Treviso were truly awful - defence had more holes than a sieve.
Worst team to visit Ravenhill in years.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 03 Oct 2015, 3:25 pm

Well, Edinburgh played the first half last night like they were asleep.

You will put them away if they play like that next week and you play like you did here.

Your pack will need to front up, though.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 03 Oct 2015, 3:29 pm

We also need to start playing like we were at Ravenhill on the road. We seem to collectively lift our intensity in front of our home crowd; but that is something we need to do in every game. We played so well against the Ospreys and then it was like letting the air out of a balloon the next week in Parc Y Scarlets.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Oct 2015, 4:19 pm

Notch wrote:We also need to start playing like we were at Ravenhill on the road. We seem to collectively lift our intensity in front of our home crowd; but that is something we need to do in every game. We played so well against the Ospreys and then it was like letting the air out of a balloon the next week in Parc Y Scarlets.

Completely agree. Our poor away form was my biggest concern at the start of the season, and so it prove against Scarlets. Ulster need to be giving everything to win those games, and it's not good enough that most of the team didn't bother showing up. There's no excuse, and that loss could cost us a home quater, or even a top four finish.

We were rubbish away to Edinburgh last season. We were lucky to steal a win, and if we enter the game with the same attitude, as witnessed against Scarlets, a loss is on the cards.

There is nothing that angers me more than our team just not turning up. They have to be more than a team that plays for a crowd.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 04 Oct 2015, 7:31 am

It was good to see Olding running around with the team in the warm up. Wonder how far away he is from a return?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Mon 05 Oct 2015, 10:16 am

As I said on another thread plan was in the New Year - probably during the 6N.
Now a chance of a Christmas/New Year return

Not to be rushed though

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down