The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sin E is going to be Mad....

+7
asoreleftshoulder
Sin é
Notch
rodders
marty2086
Pete330v2
GoodinTightSpaces
11 posters

Go down

Sin E is going to be Mad.... Empty Sin E is going to be Mad....

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Wed 22 Jul 2015, 3:02 pm

News breaking that apparently Joe Schmidt has signed an eight year contract with IRFU

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Sin E is going to be Mad.... Empty Re: Sin E is going to be Mad....

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Wed 22 Jul 2015, 3:03 pm

by 8 years i mean until 2017

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Jul 2015, 3:20 pm

A 2 year extension is great news! Well done the IRFU Very Happy

Does that leave him room to lead the B&I Lions?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 22 Jul 2015, 3:20 pm

I was just reading the news:

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_64692,00.html

The positive thinking side of me thinks WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!! yet that nagging negative part reminds me what happens when coaches get extensions just before a tournament Smile

Actually it's 100% positive, Joe will drive Ireland be the best they can be and IMO that's pretty frickin good.

In Joe we trust!!!!!!!!!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 22 Jul 2015, 3:24 pm

Munchkin wrote:A 2 year extension is great news! Well done the IRFU Very Happy

Against the All Blacks who he wants to coach and whos current coach is signed until 2017

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jul 2015, 3:28 pm

I bet Zebo will be as happy as Sin e.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 22 Jul 2015, 3:44 pm

If he's got a clause in his contract allowing him a release for the Lions, it's a bad deal for us- that would mean potentially only one more year of Schmidt. But if this contract rules him out of the Lions I'm happy.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 22 Jul 2015, 3:45 pm

Actually, I would have been happy if he did sign until 2023. I'm a bit disappointed that he is keeping his options open Wink
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 22 Jul 2015, 3:49 pm

rodders wrote:I bet Zebo will be as happy as Sin e.

Zeebs is laughing all the way to the bank!

WATCH: Simon Zebo saves the day in a very Irish 'Die Hard' spoof

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/watch-simon-zebo-saves-the-day-in-a-very-irish-die-hard-spoof-687688.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Jul 2015, 3:54 pm

marty2086 wrote:

Against the All Blacks who he wants to coach and whos current coach is signed until 2017

Good point, marty. Schmidt may well have an eye on the All Blacks job. Agree with Notch that if he is distracted by the Lions job, it wouldn't be good for Ireland. Wait and see, I suppose.
If Schmidt does decide to leave in 2017 then it's a good time to do so from an Ireland point of view. It will give time to any new coach to build a team for the next world cup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 22 Jul 2015, 3:59 pm

Munchkin wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Good point, marty. Schmidt may well have an eye on the All Blacks job. Agree with Notch that if he is distracted by the Lions job, it wouldn't be good for Ireland. Wait and see, I suppose.
If Schmidt does decide to leave in 2017 then it's a good time to do so from an Ireland point of view. It will give time to any new coach to build a team for the next world cup.

2 years isn't very long to prepare for a world cup unless they are hoping to promote from within. It will be interesting to see who Les Kiss is replaced by when he moves to Ulster.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jul 2015, 4:08 pm

Sin é wrote:
rodders wrote:I bet Zebo will be as happy as Sin e.

Zeebs is laughing all the way to the bank!

WATCH: Simon Zebo saves the day in a very Irish 'Die Hard' spoof

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/watch-simon-zebo-saves-the-day-in-a-very-irish-die-hard-spoof-687688.html

Good to see Zeebs keeping his career options open. Maybe a stint in love/hate season whatever they're on now might soften the blow.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Jul 2015, 4:13 pm

Sin é wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

2 years isn't very long to prepare for a world cup unless they are hoping to promote from within. It will be interesting to see who Les Kiss is replaced by when he moves to Ulster.

Unless you're Joe Schmidt, I suppose Very Happy It's a fair point though. 2 years isn't a huge amount of time, but if someone can come in and build on Schmidts work, then certainly possible. Agree, it will be interesting to see who comes in for Kiss. Could well be the successor to Schmidt.

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 22 Jul 2015, 4:16 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Unless you're Joe Schmidt, I suppose  Very Happy It's a fair point though. 2 years isn't a huge amount of time, but if someone can come in and build on Schmidts work, then certainly possible.  Agree, it will be interesting to see who comes in for Kiss. Could well be the successor to Schmidt.

Kurt McQuilkin has joined Leinster on a 3 month contract,once the WC is over his contract will be up so joining the dots it seems likely that he will be the new Ireland defense coach.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Jul 2015, 4:17 pm

He's a great coach, but I personally would have waited to see how Ireland get on at the World Cup.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jul 2015, 4:25 pm

Foley will be the next Ireland coach.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Jul 2015, 4:29 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Unless you're Joe Schmidt, I suppose  Very Happy It's a fair point though. 2 years isn't a huge amount of time, but if someone can come in and build on Schmidts work, then certainly possible.  Agree, it will be interesting to see who comes in for Kiss. Could well be the successor to Schmidt.

Kurt McQuilkin has joined Leinster on a 3 month contract,once the WC is over his contract will be up so joining the dots it seems likely that he will be the new Ireland defense coach.

That seems to be the thinking of a few Leinster lads. Could well be on the money as a 3 month contract does seem a bit odd. I wouldn't read much past that though. At this point I would think Kiss would be a more likely candidate for the top job, and other names will be thrown into the hat. That's assuming that Schmidt does actually leave us in 2017.

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Wed 22 Jul 2015, 4:35 pm

I don't want JS anywhere near the lions. Too selfish to spread the love around

Also, due to his management and playing style he would probably pick a 60% Irish squad, so Ireland and the provinces would be goosed for the following year. He only picks players who knows his systems, and that would be Irish lads.

He would not be a popular lions coach.

Last edited by the-goon on Wed 22 Jul 2015, 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Jul 2015, 4:37 pm

It would basically be the Ireland team with the rest made up of English, Scots and a token Welshman.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jul 2015, 4:40 pm

Ah hear now - Joe would pick the Lions team on merit....... Boss, Reddan and D'arcy's odds of selection have probably shortened a bit though... and Toner could be a dark horse for the captains armband....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Jul 2015, 4:49 pm

rodders wrote:Ah hear now - Joe would pick the Lions team on merit....... Boss, Reddan and D'arcy's odds of selection have probably shortened a bit though... and Toner could be a dark horse for the captains armband....  

Can't see it. Not with BOD back for 'one more year'....

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jul 2015, 4:51 pm

Drico!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 22 Jul 2015, 5:04 pm

I'd say Robshaw is a Schmidt kind of player. Others who I think would make his team would be AW Jones and Leigh Halfpenny.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 23 Jul 2015, 4:26 pm

Gavin Henson will definitely make it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:35 pm

I doubt if Schmidt would touch the Lions - he would be on a hiding to nowhere if he wants to coach New Zealand in the future (though in fairness, they didn't mind that G Henry failed miserably with the Lions v Australia). I'd say its between Gatland and Lancaster to be honest.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Schmidt back in Leinster then (with Leo having filled-in in the meantime). I don't think Ulster would be too happy to lose Kiss again so soon.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 23 Jul 2015, 6:17 pm

Munchkin wrote:It would basically be the Ireland team with the rest made up of English, Scots and a token Welshman.

Hopefully a player and not a dreaded member of the WRPF!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 23 Jul 2015, 7:37 pm

Nah.

If Schmidt goes back to Leinster, the IRFU would have to allow it, as opposed to if he left for a job outside Ireland. That would indicate that they would have to have secured a coach who they view as better than Schmidt- I'm not saying there aren't any, but I don't think there are many and those who are are not realistic targets. And you wouldn't want to take the international job with Schmidt going back to Leinster because if things don't go well his popularity and track record mean he will be constantly tipped for a return.

Only way that could ever happen is if his stock falls massively in the next two years, results drop off badly and its essentially IRFUs decision not to renew. Otherwise in 2017 Schmidt will be renewing or moving up or sideways. Not backwards.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 23 Jul 2015, 10:08 pm

I think the IRFU would facilitiate Schmidt because of his son's health (he suffers from severe epilepsy and has been known to have 14-15 seizures in the one day and is about 11 or 12 - the poor kid).

I don't think Super Rugby or ABs would not suit him as he would be away from home too much.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/epilepsy-ended-rugby-dreams-of-my-son-luke-10-schmidt-29927345.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum