The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTF likely to remain in London until 2018

4 posters

Go down

WTF likely to remain in London until 2018 Empty WTF likely to remain in London until 2018

Post by lags72 Tue 16 Jun 2015, 12:53 pm

There is big money on offer from other keen-to-host cities, but happily it seems that a history of daily sell-outs at virtually every session at the O2 will prove the decisive factor. Plus, easier travel for (most of) the likely qualifiers........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/atptour/11676533/ATP-World-Tour-Finals-to-stay-in-London-until-2018.html

lags72

Back to top Go down

WTF likely to remain in London until 2018 Empty Re: WTF likely to remain in London until 2018

Post by Henman Bill Tue 16 Jun 2015, 2:04 pm

If not sold out, they always seem to be 90% full, I have been loads of times and it's never half empty.

I personally would have given in to Spain, or Eastern Europe, for now, while all the top players are European, and they spun it out to somewhere outside of Europe and North America in the next run in the next decade.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

WTF likely to remain in London until 2018 Empty Re: WTF likely to remain in London until 2018

Post by MMT1 Tue 16 Jun 2015, 4:30 pm

This is great news...the thing that made the Masters special was Madison square garden - when tennis started chasing the money and treating the world tour finals like a traveling circus, the tournament lost some of its gravitas. Associating the tournament with a special venue will help it maintain it's current stature, which in my opinion has returned to it's former glory. If you want a traveling circus, just look at the WTA year end championships - nobody cares about it because it's in a different place every year, the court color changes every year, etc. and lacks character.
MMT1
MMT1

http://tennis-column.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 16 Jun 2015, 5:31 pm

MMT - agreed.

And whilst perhaps not the ideal analogy, isn't the venue a big part of what makes the Masters so special in the golfing calendar ...? (the other majors do move around of course)

The Slams would undoubtedly lose their aura if they ever began to switch venue on a regular basis - although the lack of alternative facilities makes that pretty much an impossibility anyway.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 6:57 pm

From a British perspective I love this news. America has IW and Miami and then a full swing of tournaments before the US Open. France has RG and then Paris later on. It's good we have show piece event to cap the year off after the summer delight of Wimbledon. Plus I get some Xmas shopping out the way in London Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 18 Jun 2015, 3:59 pm

Apparently it aint a done deal yet, although I would be surprised if they moved from the 02 at this stage.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by MMT1 Fri 19 Jun 2015, 2:27 am

lags72 wrote:MMT - agreed.

And whilst perhaps not the ideal analogy, isn't the venue a big part of what makes the Masters so special in the golfing calendar ...? (the other majors do move around of course)

The analogy is perfect - and you can see the same character imparted on the Championships at Wimbledon as is given to the Masters at Augusta.
MMT1
MMT1

http://tennis-column.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down