The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brook v Rios

+17
Seanusarrilius
BoxingFan88
TRUSSMAN66
TopHat24/7
catchweight
88Chris05
Hands Of Stone
Jermaine2015
Lance
Herman Jaeger
milkyboy
spencerclarke
ONETWOFOREVER
John Bloody Wayne
Hammersmith harrier
hampo17
Guest82
21 posters

Go down

Brook v Rios Empty Brook v Rios

Post by Guest82 Sun 31 May 2015, 6:59 pm

Looks like this is next for Brook. August at Bramall lane.

Opinions?

Reasonable fight for me. A name of sorts and winnable.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Brook v Rios Empty Re: Brook v Rios

Post by hampo17 Sun 31 May 2015, 7:01 pm

Soft first mandatory, a very soft first voluntary and then he's going to fight a blown up light weight. No thanks.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 May 2015, 7:10 pm

Rios is a former lightweight Hampo rather than a blown up one, stranger how Collazo and Guerrero are good enough for Thurman, it's a decent fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 31 May 2015, 7:15 pm

Has Rios fought since the Alvarado demolition job? He looked great in that, but a yard stick as to how much of that was down to Mike's preparation/shotness would be useful

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 31 May 2015, 7:41 pm

Hold the fight in the US.

Rios is Mexican so exploit this and get a more then decent attendance and viewing figures. Fight will raise profile and keep Money interested.

So far Brook has faced 2 fighters who no one in the US gives a damn about since turning champion. He should look to stage this in US for sure because he beats Rios for me.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 31 May 2015, 7:55 pm

Obviously it's an easy sell to joe public due to the styles but it's nothing but an easy night for Brook. It would be big money for him though so can't blame him really. Would like a higher calibre opponent myself though.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 31 May 2015, 8:02 pm

I liked the way hearn phrased it, going after 'rios, thurman, pacquaio'. Bit like saying 'Gavin, Alvarez, mayweather'. Hmm  wonder who it will be?

Anyway I can't be bothered to rewrite it so here's what I said on this subject a week or so ago...

When rios can't bully people with his size I don't think he brings too much to the party at an elite level. I suppose if you ignore how shot Alvarado was, and ignore that chavez got a gift against Bradley to give that unsatisfactory win greater credit then you can make a case. I'm sure Eddie will in the run up, but if you have pretensions to elite level you're beating the likes of rios in my view. Hence why I think its good matchmaking if it happens... The name is greater than the threat. Ricky hatton made a career out if it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Sun 31 May 2015, 8:08 pm

Seems to make sense for Brook...he shouldn't lose and it should raise his profile, particularly in America.

I worry Brook is going to do a Khan-lite and avoid all threats until Khan fights him.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 31 May 2015, 10:25 pm

Rios first then on to a big fight with Thurman if he can't get Floyd.

Can't believe everyone calling Rios an easy night's work, anyone ever considered Rios maybe needed a couple of fights to acclimatise to welterweight and Pacquaio was all wrong for him? Looked superb in his last fight, Alvarado admittedly shot though.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 31 May 2015, 10:46 pm

Alvarado is most definitely shot. So dont take too much from Rios doing a number on him last time. Brook will be protected for a while.

Considering the talent at WW there are a lot of cowardly promoters who dont want to challenge their fighters

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sun 31 May 2015, 10:51 pm

Brandon Rios is a dud. Strong chin but very little skills. Richar Abril schooled him. Mike Alvarado totally out boxed him in their second fight. Pacquaio embarrassed him. Chaves was wearing him down until the ref screwed him over.

Rios brings nothing to the table.

And I highly doubt Mayweather would ever fight Brook. Mayweather's already vacated the WBO title, so why would he want the IBF one?

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Sun 31 May 2015, 11:08 pm

Writing on the wall for this one

Think its a fun fight and smart matchamking.from hearn, much like Canelo-Kirkland not long ago. Rios will bring the fight and will make it fun while it lasts.

Brook is just too good for him, although i do like the idea of brook being put inder pressure like Jones, but feel hes better then that fight

Rios is easy to hit and brook can crack, think it could be a painful night for Rios and a good night for kell

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 May 2015, 11:52 pm

The Porter fight showed to an extent that Brook worked on his stamina and in fact finished that fight the stronger which I don't think anybody expected. Rios will be there to be hit, Brook has such underated footwork (doesn't waste any energy) and superb timing that it could be a bit of a one sided beatdown.

It isn't a great match up in the slightest and is cynical matchmaking, makes Brook look a million dollars against a big name in America, far too good a proposition to turn down.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 12:12 am

It's a decent fight, I suppose. Under other circumstances I'd probably be a bit more up for it.

But here's the rub. In my opinion (and surely a lot of other people's) Rios isn't one of the top ten Welters in the world, and Dan and Gavin sure as he'll weren't either. If, as expected, the Rios fight gets made them that'd make it three consecutive defences against guys from outside the top ten since that excellent win against Porter. That's pretty poor when you consider how much quality there is at 147 these days and how much potential Brook has.

Brook and Hearn have been sticking the boot in to Khan for his so-called delusion in chasing Mayweather and for his safety-first approach to match-making while he does so, but their model is starting to look pretty similar to Khan's if the Rios fight comes off. It hasn't become their obsession like it has for Khan, but Hearn has been dropping Brook in there as a possible Mayweather opponent in the future as well - I'm not sure how they propose to make that happen without getting at least one more really big win on Kell's record, and for me Rios doesn't quite hit that status.

The majority of his best work came at 135, and even there he needed a gift to get past Abril. As a Welter he's been shut out by Manny, been handed a DQ win in a fight he was losing against Chaves and then admittedly looked pretty handy against Alvarado - but Alvarado's claims to being a top line fighter had already been well and truly hammered out of the park before then, and let's not forget he still managed to beat Rios in their middle fight.

If you're looking to really enhance Brook's reputation against someone with a name, punch power and with a style made for excitement as well as being a decent fit for a boxer of Brook's nature, why not Maidana for instance? Better than Rios in every way. Why not Matthysse up from 140, even?

Dangerous fights, but if Hearn and Brook are going to try this public humiliation tactic on Khan and try to swing opinion on that possible fight massively in their favour then that's the kind of fight they need. If we weren't hearing so much name dropping about other bigger and better names beforehand then I wouldn't be so underwhelmed with opponents like Gavin and Rios, but if he and his team keep it up and don't deliver the really, really telling fights then I don't think they should get off scot free for it.

For a fighter at Brook's stage of his career, with so much promotional hype behind him and with so much talent to pick from in his division, a run of Dan, Gavin and Rios would be pretty disappointing under the circumstances, for me.

Brook to win pretty comfortably if it does happen.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 01 Jun 2015, 12:34 am

Rios is little better than Algieri and it should suit Brook who is a pretty big welter to have a former lightweight who relied on overpowering smaller guys coming at him. It should give him the chance to look good in front of a U.S audience.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 01 Jun 2015, 12:37 am

I will say this, we need Mayweather to hurry and retire, might stop the likes of Thurman, Khan and Brook posturing hoping for a phonecall that isn't going to come.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 9:42 am

Hell, he could even fight Algieri, who's nothing special (like Rios) but if he did better than expected versus Khan therefore if Brook comes in and does a better job it sets a bit of a marker in the sand at least.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 10:03 am

Rios fight is like Quigg v Martinez..............

Because after Kell's two stiffs people will start moaning.... so we'll give him a "name" we know he can beat to shut them up whilst keeping the belt safe !!.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 1:02 pm

PaulHv2 wrote:Soft first mandatory, a very soft first voluntary and then he's going to fight a blown up light weight. No thanks.

Don't mean to sound negative but I don't understand why you are so negative about this fight.

Rios is a good name at Welterweight, went the distance with Pacquiao and destroyed Alvarado (albeit a faded Alvarado) who gave Marquez a fair few problems.

I have to be honest, its a good name and a very good fight, but if Khan was fighting Rios it would be huge, as Rios has the style to give him all sorts of problems and if Pacquiao couldn't stop him then Khan has no chance.

Khan fighting him - Good name and a very exciting fight
Brook fighting him - Blown up lightweight..

Don't get it

Is boxing really just about styles and risks and names don't mean anything?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 1:04 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Hell, he could even fight Algieri, who's nothing special (like Rios) but if he did better than expected versus Khan therefore if Brook comes in and does a better job it sets a bit of a marker in the sand at least.

Would love that fight as well, think Rios vs Algieri is a great fight also

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 1:12 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
PaulHv2 wrote:Soft first mandatory, a very soft first voluntary and then he's going to fight a blown up light weight. No thanks.

Don't mean to sound negative but I don't understand why you are so negative about this fight.

Rios is a good name at Welterweight, went the distance with Pacquiao and destroyed Alvarado (albeit a faded Alvarado) who gave Marquez a fair few problems.

I have to be honest, its a good name and a very good fight, but if Khan was fighting Rios it would be huge, as Rios has the style to give him all sorts of problems and if Pacquiao couldn't stop him then Khan has no chance.

Don't get it

Rios was a good name a Lightweight, an average name at light welterweight. At Welterweight he is a poor opponent. Beat by Pacquiao, got lucky that Chavez was DQ'd, and beat a shell of Alvarado. With the talent at 147lbs, this will be a poor fight no matter what way you look at it. The only good thing is that it is an improvement on Frankie Gavin.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 1:16 pm

Rios didn't just lose to Manny...he was shut out and outclassed.

He's a harmless "name"..

If it isn't a good undercard..............Won't be buying this one..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 1:29 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Rios didn't just lose to Manny...he was shut out and outclassed.

He's a harmless "name"..

Algeieri was also shut out by Pacquiao and gave Khan hell for 12 rounds

Pacquiao is just very very good and the new comers aren't on that level yet

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 1:30 pm

PaulHv2 wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:

Don't get it

Rios was a good name a Lightweight, an average name at light welterweight. At Welterweight he is a poor opponent. Beat by Pacquiao, got lucky that Chavez was DQ'd, and beat a shell of Alvarado. With the talent at 147lbs, this will be a poor fight no matter what way you look at it. The only good thing is that it is an improvement on Frankie Gavin.

Like I said that "Shell" gave Marquez a hell of a fight

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 1:34 pm

Marquez isn't much more a shell though is he. This will be a very poor match up, and after all the moaning that Hearn and Brook did about Khan fighting Algieri to go from Gavin to a blown up lightweight is just as bad.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 1:47 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Rios didn't just lose to Manny...he was shut out and outclassed.

He's a harmless "name"..

Algeieri was also shut out by Pacquiao and gave Khan hell for 12 rounds

Pacquiao is just very very good and the new comers aren't on that level yet

Seeing as Mayweather has got no credit for beating Manny easily...........Saying Manny is very, very good when it suits an argument is a bit mischievous..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 01 Jun 2015, 6:10 pm

Brook will bust Rios like a grape. Rios gets stopped for first time in career after an enormous beating. Rios is gonna wind up seriously ill if he keeps fighting.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 01 Jun 2015, 7:03 pm

Noticed that Khan has made a not so subtle accusation that Brook is on steroids, just when you think he's stopped being a prat he opens his mouth again.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 01 Jun 2015, 7:21 pm

Tough as old boots Rios, he used to slur his words as a kid before he  ever boxed, I wouldn't worry about him too much, it's almost freakish the punishment he can ship.

I think Brook can win, maybe even become the first man to stop Brandon Rios, I don't care just looks an entertaining fight to me on paper. Could be entertaining even if it turns out a bit one-sided which I personally don't think it will.

And people saying he was going to lose to Chaves need to go back and look again. It was very much even-stevens and it all hinged on the last few rounds.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Mon 01 Jun 2015, 10:09 pm

Rios is a warrior, will be interesting to see when his chin finally gives in, his career has been a war since he turned pro. Looking back his wars with alvarado, acosta, antillon with the tough fights against Chaves, murray and Petersen and obviously the trouncing he took from Manny

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 02 Jun 2015, 5:00 am

Its an OK fight, pretty acceptable. But would agree with BF88 if Khan was fighting Rios we'd all sit up as we know he'd give Khan hell. If Algieris pressure gives Khan problems then Rios will. But seeing as its Brook it seems its being put as a crap fight. Good name, but the next one must be one of the top ten guys. Maidana would be my personal pick.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 02 Jun 2015, 5:03 am

Yeah and where has this Rios was about to lose to Chaves nonsense come from, you guys actually watch the fight? Have another look, most had Rios just pipping it and looking like he was about to take control, not like Rios is hurt often either.

People talk about him being outboxed by Abril but again christ, the guy turned green at the weigh in. He was done at lightweight

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 02 Jun 2015, 7:00 am

Think people need to watch the Chapel fight again if not at all! Close fight, Rios was starting to take over and Chavez resorted to his usual tricks. Plus it hard to look good against Chavez, he even had his moments against Thurman.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 02 Jun 2015, 9:14 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Noticed that Khan has made a not so subtle accusation that Brook is on steroids, just when you think he's stopped being a prat he opens his mouth again.

Is THAT who he was talking about??

Saw bits n pieces on Twitter but just wasn't sure.

What a prat.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 02 Jun 2015, 10:32 am

Getting pinickity about the Rios-Chaves fight is a bit of a smoke and mirrors argument, for me.

I watched it, Alex. I don't dispute that Rios might well have gone on to win, but regardless of how it gets twisted he didn't show any real superiority over Chaves in that fight, and Chaves isn't even close to being one of the ringleaders at Wetlerweight. A DQ win there doesn't cancel out the complete gift against Abril, the loss to Alvarado or him being turned in to a punch bag against Manny. Even if Rios had managed to beat Chaves by conventional means, does that suddenly make him a good opponent for Brook right now? Not for me considering all the talent going at 147 and that Brook has already had two defences on the spin against patsies now, albeit Dan was an unavoidable mandatory.

I just can't get too excited about Brook-Rios under the circumstances. After he beat Dan we had a lot of big talk about superfights and namedropping from Hearn, how he was going to show the world who the ducker was between Khan and his man etc - and we got Frankie Gavin. Rios is a clear improvement on that, don't get me wrong, but again doesn't really follow up on the big talk coming from Hearn. If this Rios fight comes off then that's three fights on the spin which have been pretty underwhelming opponents since Porter. Nobody realistically expected Brook to be in Mayweather's considerations for September, of course, and Khan is playing hard ball as he hopes to get his own Mayweather gig that month, but there were still ample options better than Rios which could have been pursued.

As I said above, fundamentally I think it's a decent, solid fight. But considering what's available at Welter right now, Brook's potential, his last two defences and the heavy hype drive Matchroom and Sky are putting behind him, I think now was the time for something a bit better than decent or solid.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 02 Jun 2015, 5:11 pm

When Khan gets his leg slashed open with a machete i'll start give him the same amount of leeway that Brook gets and deserves.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Jun 2015, 6:06 pm

Come on mate..He's fit enough to scream for Khan but we should cut him slack for Rios because he's had a machete in the leg..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 03 Jun 2015, 1:56 am

Chris to be fair with the Abril fight it was clear he was dying at 135, look at his pictures during the weigh in. Guy looks like he's on his death bed... He has a hard time making 147 now!!! Easy to make excuses, but if they're legitimate it holds for me.

Not saying Rios is a great fight, but its pretty decent. Again will.say it, if Khan fought Rios there would be clamour due to it being a style Khan has difficulty with, as Brook doesn't as much there isn't. Not quite fair though, Rios has enough to pose questions and is a good name, wanting to make Brook a name in America, Rios is the right opponent for that, beating two big American names gives him major kudos with the Yanks.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 03 Jun 2015, 10:00 am

If Juan Manuel Marquez became available to them, sounds like team Rios would jump at the opportunity to fight him, so the Brook fight is'nt quite nailed-on as of yet.

Maybe they're having second thoughts about a Brook fight in England and this would provide a perfect way out. A Brook fight is clearly way more relevant than a Marquez fight to the career of Brandon Rios at this stage:

http://www.boxingscene.com/garcia-rios-jump-facing-juan-manuel-marquez--91821

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 03 Jun 2015, 10:14 am

Rios since Acosta has been pretty decent really, at one stage he really did look like he was going to be a P4Per. Above Lightweight he hasn't performed, I think a lot of his dominance was to do with the fact he could bully with what looked like huge weight discrepancies. Not sure he can impose himself in the same way at Welter.

It's a strange one, Rios was a huge Lightweight and struggled to make the weight so calling him a blown up Lightweight is a stretch. But it's hard to point to a performance above there where he's looked anywhere near as dangerous.

It is potentially an interesting fight, but Brook has just been performing at a much higher level at the weight and has a big speed advantage. I don't see why people are quite so down on it, but after a couple of not so great fights it could have been stepped up. At least the fights are coming fairly often.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 03 Jun 2015, 10:59 am

I've no real beef with the fight. If I was managing brook he'd be high on my list of targets. It makes perfect commercial sense. Rios will keep plodding forward so it might well be reasonably entertaining too. I just expect brook to win with something to spare and consequently it doesn't really float my boat.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 04 Jun 2015, 1:05 am

People are like "Why isn't Brook targeting Thurman" come on as if Thurman's team are wanting that fight right now as well. Maybe when there's more money in that yeah. Happier to put Thurman in building fights with guys like Collazo still.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 04 Jun 2015, 10:35 am

We wouldn’t get many fights made at all if everyone took the ‘well they probably don’t want the fight so let’s not bother even approaching them because they’ll probably say no’ attitude, Alex. Brook’s team are the ones who have namedropped Thurman and the like in the first place, so why not at least try to put some pressure on him and make a clear declaration that you want the fight? At least it gives an indication that you’re serious. And if they stall, you don’t lose any credibility from it and no blame gets attached.

I’d like to see Thurman (he’s one of a few, just using his name for argument’s sake) fighting better guys as well, but Thurman hasn’t got a promoter dogging out a divisional rival for apparently being a ducker and promising “massive fights” which haven’t come off as of yet. But we’re talking about Brook here in any case.

As I said, if it weren’t for all that big talk from Hearn and the fact that Brook’s last two opponents have been Jo Jo Dan and Frankie Gavin, I’d have no issue with the Rios fight. I don’t particularly have an issue with it even then, as it’s fundamentally a decent fight. But considering what’s available to Brook and the potential he has, I think his first three defences (if Rios is confirmed) would be collectively pretty disappointing, that’s all.

The road to a title was stupidly long and frustrating in Brook’s case so I just want to see him kicking on and taking on the very best now to make up for that lost time, those three ‘final’ eliminators, the injuries which postponed title fights etc. Maybe I’m being too harsh on the Rios fight, but surely after that (assuming he wins) it’s time for a Maidana, a Bradley, a Thurman, a Khan etc? Even an Alexander or old man Marquez would suffice.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 04 Jun 2015, 11:01 am

Bradley & MM should both be do-able.

Wouldn't mind seeing him slap "triple weight world champ" Broner around too.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 04 Jun 2015, 11:49 am

I think Brook v Rios will be a good fight to watch and maybe a lot more competitive than everyone thinks. Just a feeling but Brook won't have it easy.

However, this fight doesn't the juice's flowing (so to speak). I'm sure it will change when/if it's signed and then there's other fights added but I just think Brook needs a better opponent now. He's just fought Frankie Gavin on ppv for Christ sake so it's time now for a decent match up again.

Best case scenario he beats Rios then goes on a Froch type of run of opponents. It can be done due to the amount of good fighters in the division. Was hoping for that after Jo Jo though so won't hold much hope.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 04 Jun 2015, 4:13 pm

Thurman's team were the ones that started the talk Chris. Soon as Brook won a world title they BSed about being happy to come to the UK.

Thurman will probably fight Brook at some point, but the fight won't be big enough just yet to warrant the risk from either team. Neither team wants the Thurman Brook fight just yet is what I'm saying, both just posturing.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 04 Jun 2015, 4:15 pm

Thurman gets an easy ride with his opposition for some reason, Rios is seen as a blown up lightweight but Guerrero is a test, Collazo is the best available but Gavin is useless, Diaz earned it but Dan didn't etc.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 04 Jun 2015, 4:19 pm

Personally think both have had relatively similar level of opposition, Brook has the bigger win with Porter but Thurman's opposition has been slightly higher, Senchenko to Soto Karass, Guerrero to Dan, Gavin to Collazo, Jones to Chavez. The opposition in general seems to higher to me for Thurman of course, Brook has the major one that matters however.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 04 Jun 2015, 7:41 pm

Thurman has been a pro for about 4 years less than Brook and has faced better opposition in general. His career has been moving and developing at a faster pace.

Brook has been a pro for over a decade. Hard to justify so many overmatched opponents and fights that offer little or no progression.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down