The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Complete Lucha Underground Review

4 posters

Go down

Complete Lucha Underground Review Empty Complete Lucha Underground Review

Post by Prometheus Fri 15 May 2015, 10:25 am

So, I'm aiming to go back and review each episode of LU, hopefully with the aim of reaching the end of the season in August.  In each review I'm going to try cover the main angles developed, the main characters introduced and also rate each fight.  

As Lucha Underground upload a full fight of the week to their YouTube channel I'm also going to give a link to that.  Of course, if you want to follow along, you might want to click that before you read any spoilers.

If anyone else is watching this and has any comments, feel free to add them to the thread.  Let's ring the bell and get started...

Episode 1
Storylines Developed
- Lucha Underground is a kind of wrestling fight club set up in a warehouse in Boyle Heights, LA predominantly for the entertainment of its owner Dario Cueto and loyal fans
- Dario Cueto has invited Lucha wrestlers and fighters from all over the world to his Aztec-inspired ‘temple’ to fight for courage, honour & money
- A signing bonus of $100,00 is offered by Cuerto to the wrestler who impresses him the most tonight
- Cueto promises the money to Konnan if Puma can make an example of Johnny Mundo
- Cueto admonishes Chavo for tapping out in his bout and says he’s going to have to bring a man in to finish the job on Blue Demon next week, a man who can’t be stopped and may bring 1000 deaths to everyone
- Cueto heels it up at the end of the program, taking the promised prize money away from Mundo and having him and Puma beaten up by his henchmen, to whom he gives the briefcase of money

New Characters Introduced
- Dario Cueto, Spanish businessman host, promoter & owner of Lucha Underground
- Melissa, ring announcer
- Matt Striker & Vampiro, commentators
- Blue Demon, Jr. 3rd generation, veteran masked wrester (Face)
- Chavo Guerrero, Jr. (Face) 3rd generation wrestler
- Konnan a fixer for Cueto, manager of Prince Puma
- Prince Puma [Ricochet] (Face), presented as a local young prodigy, a direct descendent of the most feared renegade Aztec tribe and channels an animal spirit
- Johnny Mundo [John Morrison] (Face) introduced as the biggest free agent in the business
- Sexy Star (Face) female masked wrestler, who has a past of being abused by men
- Son of Havoc [Matt Cross] (Heel) wrestles in an executioner’s mask and long beard
- Big Ryck [Ezekiel Jackson] and the Crew (Heels) Cueto's henchmen

Bouts
1. Blue Demon vs Chavo (2*) – Blue Demon via single leg boston crab submission
Maybe Blue Demon is a legend in Mexico, but I’d venture most wrestling fans know as little about him as I do and he’s no spring chicken.  Everyone knows Chavo, but how many want to watch him wrestle?  This is kind of a slow brawl, and if any match in LU is skippable, it’s probably this one.

2. Sexy Star vs Son of Havoc (1.5*) – Son of Havoc via pin
Havoc refuses to wrestle a woman, but then they start wrestling.  This short match allows Star to show a few moves before she is overpowered by Havoc.

3. Johnny Mundo vs Prince Puma (4*) - Mundo via pin following a standing Spanish Fly and Fin de Mundo
Mundo is sold as wrestling for the first time in 3 years.  As a wrestling show, this is the calling card of LU, it is fast, high-flying and athletic.  This was my first time seeing Ricochet and I was beyond impressed.  There’s also a bit of everything here, with both wrestlers hitting spots in a 15 minute match.  If there's a criticism its that the match doesn't come over that Konnan has passed on the news that he should destroy Mundo, but I can buy that he's the novice and Konnan might just have enough faith in him that he'll win without needing to lay this on him too.  Lot of mutual respect after the match.  

Last edited by Prometheus on Fri 15 May 2015, 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Complete Lucha Underground Review Empty Re: Complete Lucha Underground Review

Post by Prometheus Fri 15 May 2015, 12:20 pm

Episode 2
Storylines Developed
- Cueto's henchmen introduce themselves from the ring as leader Big Ryck with Castro Cortez and Cisco.  Mundo attacks them, Puma joins him and has his back.  Cueto comes out of his office and calls for a match if they are going to fight anyway.  Big Ryck smokes a cigar and watches from the crowd.
- After teaming with Johnny Mundo, Prince Puma is warned by Konnan about trusting Mundo
- Chavo turns heel.  After coming to the ring as a face to chase off Mil Muertes who is continuing to attack Blue Demon after he's won, Chavo then turns on Blue Demon.  And hits Sexy Star with a big chair shot!  Blue Demon is taken to hospital in an ambulance.

- Castro Cortez & Cisco (Heels) 2 of Cueto's henchmen
- Ivelisse female partner of Son of Havoc
- Catrina an associate of Mil Muertes who likes to lick people and taste them before they suffer 1000 deaths (she may be able to appear and disappear)
- Mil Muertes (Heel) masked wrestler as a boy he was caught in the Mexico earthquake which killed his family and he was buried alive for a week, he brings a piece of rubble to the ring with him.

Bouts
1. Mundo & Puma vs Cortez & Castro (3.5*) – Mundo & Puma hit simultaneous 450s to score a double pin.
This match is really a continuation of the first week's main event, but now with the two respectful foes teaming up.  It's not as good as the last match, but is worth watching.

2. Son of Havoc & Ivelisse vs Chavo and Sexy Star (3*) - Sexy Star gets the pin after Chavo sets it up with a frog spash
Obviously one of LU's things is men and women competing together.  And this is okay, it really hots up at the end.

3. Mil Muertes vs Blue Demon, Jr. (2*) - Flatliner into a pin
At this stage, I'm just not bought into Mil.  He's a big fellow and looks like he can be brutal, but he doesn't move so great.  Blue Demon has the same limitations.  So this match is okay, but the angle that follows it is great.

Last edited by Prometheus on Fri 15 May 2015, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 15 May 2015, 12:51 pm

Episode 3
Storylines Developed

- Konan tells Cueto that he's taken care of the visa problem and has brought Fenix, Pentagon Jr and Drago from Mexico to make this a real lucha libre production.  Cueto puts them in a triple threat match.
- Chavo continues his destruction of legends by taking out Mascarita Sagrada
- Mundo forces his way past Ryck and the crew into Cueto's office and demands a match vs Big Ryck next week.  Cueto gives Ryck money to put Mundo in hospital.
- Cueto is pacing outside a cell saying that Mundo nor anyone else will threaten him, "not even you" he tells the heavy breather in the cell

- El Mariachi Loco (Heel) masked wrestler discovered by Cueto at his local Mexican restaurant
- Mascarita Sagrada (Face) masked mini legend
- Fenix (Face) masked wrestler
- Pentagon Jr (Heel) masked wrestler in almost a heel ninja outfit
- Drago he's a dragon, obviously

Bouts
1. Mascarita Sagrada vs El Mariachi Loco (2.5*)  - Mascarita Sagrada by pin, a choke hold into a small package roll-up
A match with a mini wouldn't be my thing, but damn he's quick and good.  

2. Ricky Mandel vs Mil Muertes w/ Catrina (1.5*) - Mil with the flatliner to pin again
This is what it is, another match to build up Muertes, which I'm still not quite buying despite a great looking spear early on.  

3. Fenix vs Pentagon Jr vs Drago (4.5*) - Fenix wins with a pin on Pentagon Jr
This is awesome.  I've not watched lucha wrestling and this is really something quite special.  Pentagon Jr goes over the top to the outside in about the first 5 seconds. Fenix goes from the balcony to a cross body on the floor!  Drago and Pentagon Jr both have amazing looks, Fenix is an instant hit, I think he's still in his early 20s, which is insane.

Last edited by Prometheus on Wed 20 May 2015, 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue 19 May 2015, 9:47 pm

Episode 4
Storylines Developed

- Sexy Star cuts a promo promising revenge for Blue Demon and Mascarita Sagrada on Chavo
- Pentagon Jr cuts a promo saying that no one in Mexico respects him and thanking Cueto for the chance.
- Konnan advises Puma not to get involved in Mundo's match with Big Ryck.
- Ryck's crew take out Puma during Ryck's match with Mundo.

- King Cuerno (Heel) a masked wrestler hunter

Bouts
1. Sexy Star vs Ivelisse (1.5*)  - Sexy Star via pin
This is as much about character development on the mic before the match, as what happened in LU's first female/female bout.  Lucha Underground may think it has something that WWE's Divas or TNA's Knockouts doesn't, but on this evidence its really hard to see as I'm afraid this is quite average.

2. Pentagon Jr vs Fenix (3.5*) - Spanish fly from the turnbuckle to pin for Fenix
This starts off feeling a bit like an exhibition, and then Fenix hits a big twisting tope to the outside and a springboard back into the ring.  Pentagon sells great for Fenix's chops, springboard dropkick, corkscrew topes and everything.  And Pentagon has stiff looking offence too.  This match really gets Fenix over, but Pentagon Jr is already one of my favourite wrestlers around.  

3. Drago vs King Cuerno (3*) - Drago with the most beautiful looking pin
The hunter hunts a dragon.  Cuerno stalks, is deliberate and powerful, Drago is super, super fast.  I'd have taken another 5 minutes of this.

4. Big Ryck vs Johnny Mundo (2.5*) - Mundo by DQ
Mundo is so over from those first two episodes, but Ryck looks massive here.  This is a classic and well worked match of size vs speed, which was going really well.  Then Ryck's crew take Puma out in the locker room, come out to the ring and its a 3 on 1 beat down, which finishes in a DQ and Mundo being put through a table by Ryck.

Last edited by Prometheus on Wed 20 May 2015, 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue 19 May 2015, 10:32 pm

Episode 5
Storylines Developed

- Konnan complains to Cueto about Big Ryck's men taking out Puma.  Cueto tells him he doesn't control Ryck's crew, Ryck does.  Konnan asks Cueto for a Boyle Heights Street Fight between Ryck and Puma tonight.  (Which sounds a bit daft to me to want to take on Big Ryck in a street fight, but hey, Puma is a mad cat, right?)
- King Cuerno watches Drago's match and attacks Drago after it.  
- Catrina runs into Cueto and tells him she knows the darkness he is trying to hide and (with the big key he wears round his neck, which presumably is for the cell we saw at the end of the last episode) also tells him he can't keep darkness locked away forever.
- A mystery woman watches the Son of Havoc vs Mascarita Sagrada match.

- A mysterious Asian lady

Bouts
1. Mil Muertes w/ Catrina vs Drago (1.5*)  - Muertes via pin
Drago gets in some early offence, but then it becomes quite one-sided.  Muertes wasn't interesting to me before this, so this works to get him over as a real force.

2. Son of Havoc w/ Ivelisse vs Mascarita Sagrada (2*) - Mascarita Sagrada, pin
Cueto is said to be making a mockery of Son of Havoc as he had to fight a woman and now a mini.  Ivelisse and Havoc draw heat for beating up the little guy.

3. Sexy Star vs Chave Guerrero (1*) - Chavo by DQ
Chavo heels it up, and it looks like Sexy Star's mought has made promises her body can't keep, but with a slap she is back in the game and brings a chair to the ring.  When the ref tries to stop her, she low kicks the ref, bringing a DQ and Pentagon Jr and Fenix to the ring.  Fenix and Sexy Star fight off Chavo and Pentagon Jr.

4. Big Ryck vs Prince Puma (2.5*) - Big Ryck puts Puma through a table and pins him
These no DQ matches with the usual tools of kendo sticks and trash cans aren't really my thing, but this gets Ryck over as a monster, and street leader, and Puma as a young guy with tons of skill and more heart than sense.  When Puma is ties up in some kind of tree of woe on a ladder, Mundo jumps from the top of the office into the ring, but then mistakenly hits Puma with a chair and lays him out.  Ryck then puts Puma through a table.

Last edited by Prometheus on Wed 20 May 2015, 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 20 May 2015, 10:49 am

Episode 6
Storylines Developed

- Big Ryck asks for a 100,000 signing bonus in cash, Cueto agrees.  
- Johnny Mundo corners and a terrified Cueto says he'll give him 100,000 in cash if Mundo lets him go.  Mundo releases Cueto and takes the key that hangs round Cueto's neck as insurance.
- Before the main event Mundo comes to the ring with Cueto's key and say he has to the count of 10 to come and give him his 100,000.  Big Ryck interrupts Johnny and Johnny dives onto him, goes back to the ring and resumes his count.  He's then interrupted by Konnan who says he owes Puma that money because Puma has been attacked because he's stood up for Mundo.  Big Ryck attacks Mundo from behind and Puma fights him off, then starts a fight with Mundo.  Officials eventually break them up.  Cueto announces a 3-way ladder match next week for the 100,000.

- Pimpinela Escarlata (Face) a transvestite exotico wrestler
- Famous B (Face) local wrestler

Bouts
1. Son of Havoc w/ Ivelisse vs Pimpinela Escarlata (1.5*)  - Pimpi via pin
Ivelisse says they would not have signed a 7 year contract if they'd have known Son of Havoc would have to fight women and half a man.  Son of Havoc issues an open challenge, which is answered by Pimpinela Escarlata.  Pimpi isn't getting any younger, but can still walk the ropes and the crowd dig this.  Son of Havoc starts to demonstrate some of his moves, Mascarita Sagrada comes in and distracts Son of Havoc, Pimpi kisses Son of Havoc and gets the roll-up.  For some reason the cameras cut away from the kiss, it seems men hitting women with chairs is okay for El Rey, but a man on man kiss isn't.

2. Famous B vs Mil Muertes w/ Catrina (1*) - Spear, flatliner, pin to Mil
Mil takes longer to get to the ring than to beat up Famous B.  

3. Drago vs King Cuerno (2.5*) - Cuerno with a Thrill of the Hunt to pin
These two had a match in episode 4, then we saw the hunter stalking his prey in the previous episode.  There's a great vignette before the match putting over Drago, that ends with the caption "Drago slays tonight".  And there's no way you can't love Drago's costume and tongue.  The mystery woman is watching this bout again.  This is a good match-up with Drago using his speed and high flying against Cuerno's power.  Cuerno is a great catcher and Drago uses that to huge effect with some big leaps to the outside.  One thing I really like about this is that Drago goes for the pin in the same way he got it in the first bout, but Cuerno has that scouted.  Ultimately he levels the series 1-1 and tells Drago that the hunt has just begun.

4. Chavo & Pentagon Jr vs Sexy Star & Fenix (3*) - Fenix pins Pentagon Jr
This was set up last week, and really it is two dysfunctional tag teams because Chave & Sexy have issues, Fenix and Pentagon do too, but only because they were in the same place at the same time are they tag teams.  To date, the mixed wrestling, which I think Lucha Underground thought was going to be a big element of its production, really hasn't paid off for me.  This is smartly booked with Sexy Star getting the hot tag and looks the best of the mixed bouts to date.  Anything with Fenix and Pentagon Jr is off the hook.

Last edited by Prometheus on Fri 29 May 2015, 12:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 20 May 2015, 11:47 am

Episode 7
Storylines Developed

- There's a brilliant vignette that bigs up Pentagon Jr as having learned dark arts in Japan, a man with Zero Fear
- Vignette introduces Cage as a monster.
- Mundo wins 100,000 of Cueto's money in a ladder match, lays Cueto out and returns his key.

- Super Fly (Face) a masked Mexican wrestler
- A masked fan who prevents Mundo reaching the case in the ladder match, this turns out to be Bael, a new member of Big Ryck's crew.

Bouts
1. King Cuerno vs Super Fly (1.5*)  - Cuerno via pin
In quite a short match, this debuts some of Super Fly's moves as Drago watches on.  Cuerno has too much power for Super Fly.

2. Chavo w/ Pentagon Jr vs Fenix w/ Sexy Star (2*) - Frog splash to pin for Chavo
For some reason LU has half the fans chanting for Chavo and half for Fenix, despite the fact that these are two of their biggest heels and faces.  I'm not a fan of that chanting, or how Chavo works Fenix.  Pentagon Jr pulls Fenix from the top rope to set up Chavo's win.  I can see how they are continuing the Pentagon Jr / Fenix feud here, but I think a win for Fenix would have done more as they can't afford to stall a push on him.  After the match Sexy Star announces that Blue Demon is coming back for Chavo.

3. Big Ryck w/crew vs Johnny Mundo vs Prince Puma w/ Konnan Ladder Match (4.5*) - Johnny Mundo
After a couple of so-so main event weeks, LU gets right back on track with this match.  This has all the usual ladder spots and then some, with a few table spots thrown in too and is a lot of fun.  There's also a brilliant ladder homage to Buster Keaton and a slightly botched homage to Shelton Benjamin running up a ladder on the ropes.  These wrestlers were over before this bout, but it pushes them even higher.  
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 20 May 2015, 10:26 pm

Episode 8
Storylines Developed

- Cueto gathers 10 wrestlers in the ring and declares a 10-way match with another 10-wrestler match to come and a unique opportunity to the winners.  
- Cueto's unique opportunity is for the winners of the two events to face each other to get the first and last slots in Aztec Warfare, the event that will determine the first Lucha Underground champion.
- Cueto shows off the new Championship belt to the person in the cell, who "likes to destroy pretty things".

Bouts
1. Pentagon Jr vs Prince Puma vs Big Ryck vs El Mariachi Loco vs Fenix vs Mascarita Sagrada vs Drago vs King Cuerno vs Super Fly vs Son of Havok (4*)  - Fenix pins Puma.
Multi-man matches are normally a cluster, but this just comes over as a wrestling party that everyone is invited to, its so much fun.  And we get continuations of stories, like King Cuerno breaking up a Dragon's Tail pin by Drago.  Just sit back and enjoy this for what it is.

2. Sexy Star vs Johnny Mundo vs Pimpinella Escarlata vs Mil Muertes vs Cisco vs Castro Cortez vs Bael vs Famous B vs Ricky Mandel vs Chavo Guerrero Jr Battle Royal (4*) - Mil Muertes
This is like a jobbers Battle Royal with Johnny Mundo, Mil Muertes and maybe Chavo in who could win.  Battle Royals usually suck, but this is one of the very best I've ever seen.  The mysterious Asian lady also watches this fight.  Johnny Mundo gets in all the cool spots, the Crew work together effectively and Muertes looks a monster.

3. Fenix vs Mil Muertes w/ Catrina (3*) - Muertes via flatliner and pin
Fenix gets in some early offence, but is sold as being tired and Muertes emerges victorious in an episode that has really sold him as an unstoppable force.

Last edited by Prometheus on Thu 21 May 2015, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 21 May 2015, 4:00 pm

Episode 9
Storylines Developed

- Cueto crowns Prince Puma as the first Lucha Underground Champion via the Aztec Warfare event (Royal Rumble with a wrestler entering every 90s, but elimination is via pin rather than over the top rope).  
- Once again the mysterious Asian lady is in the audience.  

Bout (3.5*)
Entry
1. "Unlucky" Fenix, who of course won the 10-man event, but then lost to Mil in the play-off bout
2. By "random draw" Johnny Mundo
3. Mr Cisco
4. King Cuerno
5. Son of Havoc
6. Pimpinela Escarlata
7. Prince Puma
8. Drago
9. Bael
10. Ivelisse
11. Cortez Castro
12. Ricky Mandel
13. Big Ryck
14. Pentagon Jr
15. Super Fly
16. Chavo w/chair
17. Mascarita Sagrada
18. Sexy Star
19. El Mariachi Loco
20. Mil Muertes w/ Catrina

Eliminations
1. Mr Cisco via pin from Mundo following End of the World
2. Pimpinela via pin from Son of Havoc following a top rope moonsault
3. Ivelisse via pin from King Cuerno following a Thrill of the Hunt
4. Son of Havoc via pin from Prince Puma following a Benadryller (?)
5. Bael via Prince Puma via pin following a standing shooting star press
6. Cortez Castro via pin from Mundo
7. Ricky Mandel via pin from Big Ryck
8. Drago via pin from King Cuerno with assist by Big Ryck
9. King Cuerno via pin from Mundo
10. Superfly via pin from Chavo following chair shot
11. Pentagon Jr via pin from Chavo following chair shot
12. Mascarita Sagrada via a huge clothesline from Big Ryck and pin
13. Loco via pin from Muertes
14. Ryck via pin from Fenix
15. Fenix via pin from Chavo following a chair shot
16. Chavo via pin from Sexy Star (with help from Blue Demon Jr)
17. Sexy Star via pin from Mil Muertes
18. Muertes via pin from Prince Puma.  Before this pin Catrina is on the apron and when Catrina ducks a kick from Mundo, she totally catches it full on in the face.  So Muertes is pinned for the first time, but the distraction is given.
19. Puma via pin on Johnny Mundo

There's a lot to enjoy in this.  I really thought they were building to Mundo, rather than Puma, as the first champion.

Last edited by Prometheus on Fri 29 May 2015, 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 21 May 2015, 4:39 pm

Episode 10
Storylines Developed

- Cueto wants Fenix, (the Fenix who jumped off the office, pinned Puma in the 10-man event that he won and nearly won the Aztec Warfare after entering first), to destroy Prince Puma and embarrass Konnan.  Fenix says he doesn't fight for Cueto, but for himself and says if he doesn't take this opportunity someone else will.  This conversation is watched by our mysterious Asian lady.
- Chavo is to make an in-ring apology to Blue Demon Jr.  But he's really there to beat up Blue Demon, however Blue Demon takes out Chavo first with a chair.
- After Puma retains, Cage comes to the ring and absolutely murdered Puma.

- Aerostar a masked Mexican wrestler
- Argenis a masked Mexican wrestler.
- Angelico a tall South African wrestler
- Cage (Heel) machine of devastation

Bouts
1. Aerostar vs Argenis vs Angelico vs Cage (4*)  - Cage pins everyone.
This is almost as good as the triple threat in the 3rd episode.  Great flying, lots of crisp strikes and Cage comes over as a complete beast with a superplex, a great catch of Aerostar from a top turnbuckle jump.  What is great about this is Cage eliminates everyone, but absolutely everyone gets offence in and comes out of this looking great.

2. King Cuerno vs Drago (2*) - Double count out
The 3rd meeting between these two, but there's not really a match here.  What there there is an insane table spot by Drago off the roof of the office, which just sells so well how the lengths these two will go to against each other!

3. Fenix vs Prince Puma for the Championship (4*) - Puma via pin
There is an absolutely insane rope run in this bout that I've just never seen before, to finish one of the best hours of wrestling of my life.  And as you'd imagine given these are two of LUs most agile, innovative and acrobatic fighters, this bout can take your breath away.

Last edited by Prometheus on Fri 29 May 2015, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 27 May 2015, 2:06 am

Well, you'll be happy to know season 2 has been confirmed

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 27 May 2015, 6:18 am

Could kiss you for bringing me news like that you wonderful wonderful man.

I'm hearing that's not 100% locked, but is pretty much there. When they tape I'll be happy.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 29 May 2015, 9:59 am

Episode 11
Storylines Developed

- While Big Ryck is cutting a promo, Castro, Cisco & Bael turn on him, beating him up and Cisco rubs a cigar into Big Ryck's eye.
- Cueto pays off the gang for taking out Ryck.  
- Cage has a sit down interview with Vampiro.  Cage (looking really intense and coming off well) says he's not going to wait in line for his chance at the title.  Cage calls Vampiro out, who backs down, at the end of the interview Vampiro calls Cage a future champ.
- After his match, Pentagon Jr. calls out Chavo

Bouts
1. Cortez Castro & Mr Cisco w/ Bael & Big Ryck vs Mascarita Sagrada & Pimpinela Escarlata (2*)  - Cisco pins Sagrada after a 3D
I think we can call this a clash of cultures, the gangbangers against fan favourites Pimpi and Sagrada.  The match was fun, the swerve that came after it very good.

2. Super Fly vs Pentagon Jr. (2*) - Pentagon Jr. with package pile driver to pin.
Commentary sets this match up as 2 wrestlers wanting to get to the top of the LU card.  Pentagon Jr is all kinds of awesome, with some chops you can hear at the back of the arena and aggressive offence.  I'm not that into Super Fly, this is a bit short and might have just been better as a squash match.  

3. Sexy Star vs El Mariachi Loco (2*) - Sexy Star with a pin via inside cradle
This was the best showcase of Sexy Star as a wrestler to date.  

4. King Cuerno vs Drago (3*) - Cuerno
A Last Luchador Standing match as the two are tied at one match apiece and then we had the huge table spot last week.   This is not an easy gimmick match to pull off.  Cuerno hits a huge Arrow from Hell, and puts Drago through a table with a Thrill of the Hunt.  Not the greatest ending, but at least commentary acknowledge that and it looks like this feud finisher is not going to finish the feud.

Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 29 May 2015, 10:44 am

Episode 12
Storylines Developed

- Cueto is impressed by Cage's brutality and attitude and gives him a title match against Puma.
- Promo video of Cage beating guys up in a carpark, and no-selling a bottle on the head.  He's a machine!
- After he is DQ'd in his match against Puma, Cage beats down Konnan, opening him up and rips the championship belt in two.
- The mysterious Asian lady appears in Cueto's office, and tells him she's looking for one man, Matanza. Cueto says that name means nothing to him and the Asian lady vanishes like the wind.

Bouts
1. Mil Muertes w/ Catrina vs Fenix (2.5*)  - Fenix with a roll up pin
This is a repeat of the match in Episode 8 to determine the final entrant in the Aztec Warfare, where Fenix was sold as being exhausted in his loss to Mil.  I'm warming to Mil, who is really starting to look impressive in his power moves, he dominated the match, but it was Fenix who had the awareness following a Mil superplex to get the pin and even up their head-to-head.

2. Argenis, Super Fly & Aerostar vs Cortez Castro, Mr Cisco & Bael (3.5*) - Assisted code-breaker (which I think they called a 3D last week) to pin for the Crew
6-man tag match is built up as an integral part of lucha libre events.  With their mutiny against Big Ryck and this match, the Crew now look like something a bit more than jobbing henchmen.  This clash of styles makes for quite a good match.    

3. Prince Puma vs Cage (3.5*) - Puma by DQ
This is a great match, the agility and strength of Cage are really impressive against the fast-moves of Puma.  
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 29 May 2015, 12:17 pm

Episode 13
Storylines Developed

- Ivelisse bigs up Son of Havoc before his match, saying she doesn't date losers.  Angelico teases a kiss on Ivelisse during the match.  Son of Havoc inadvertently knocks Ivelisse off the apron during the match and this leads to his loss.
- Cueto meets with Mundo and says let bygones be bygones because Mundo gives great main events.  Cueto puts Mundo in the main event against Cage.
- Pentagon Jr does another awesome vignette about him having zero fear.  After his match with Famous B, Pentagon Jr. breaks Famous B's arm as an offering of loyalty to his Master.
- Cueto visits the cell that his key is for.  He tells what is in the cell that Black Lotus came looking for them.  Cueto says that last time he saw Black Lotus she was a little girl, and that he could have let her have the key and come for revenge.  But Cueto has to protect the temple from Matanza.
- After Drago beats Aerostar he makes sure he is okay and raises his hand.
- Catrina visits Fenix while he is training and asks him about the tattoo on his chest.  She asks what can scare a man who cannot die, tells him she has a message from her, kisses Fenix and tells him not to let Mil Muertes know as Mil would bury both of them alive if he ever found out.
- Cage comes out for his fight with the ripped championship belt round his neck.
- When the show is over, Cueto is shown on the phone saying that all he knows is that Black Lotus has found the temple and is peed off and they need to do something about it now.  There is a knock on Cueto's door, Cueto tells the person to go away as the show is over.  Alberto El Patron says the show is just getting started and opens the door.

- Alberto El Patron [Alberto del Rio, but you already knew that]

Bouts
1. Son of Havoc w/ Ivelisse vs Angelico (3*)  - Angelico
This is a really good back-and-forth match.  Angelico gets over some great running knees and use of his long legs for kicks.  Son of Havoc uses his strength when he gets on the inside and uses his somersaults to keep his distance and quickly close it, he looks better and better each match.  

2. Pentagon Jr. vs Famous B (2*) - Pentagon Jr via submission
Squash match, that is all about building Pentagon Jr as a massive heel.  With a great angle after the tap-out, it really works.

3. Drago vs Aerostar (3*) - Running blockbuster into a DDT, Drago gets the pin.
Lots of fast moves in a short match, these two deserve longer.  

4. Johnny Mundo vs Cage (4*) - Discus clothesline into gory special and pin ultimately gets the win for Cage
Yes please, is what I say to this match.  In a really good match, King Cuerno interrupts and attacks Mundo's knee.  The ref calls for a DQ as Cuerno continues to savage Mundo.  Cueto calls for the match to be re-started with a beaten up and one-legged Mundo facing the might of Cage.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 29 May 2015, 2:29 pm

Episode 14
Storylines Developed

- Alberto El Patron is in Cueto's office.  Cueto says he's always liked Alberto's style.  Alberto asks Cueto about the key round his neck.  Alberto asks Cueto for one favour and promises that the next time he comes to Cueto's office and asks for anything it will be blood.  Commentary hypes up that Alberto will have an open mic later in the show.
- Catrina (without Mil Muertes) watches the Fenix fight and gives Argenis the 'lick of death' after Fenix beats him.
- Catrina tells Mil that the power of 1000 lives was too much for him and he needs to.... Mil grabs her throat and lifts her clean off the floor telling her he needs nothing.  Catrina seems to enjoy this treatment.  Mil walks off looking massive, meets Chavo, bounces Chavo off the corridor walls and tells Chavo that next week he pays his debt.
- Big Ryck, in a confessional booth, asks for forgiveness because he is about to go Old Testament on the three Judas's who beat him up.
- After his match with Son of Havoc, Mundo is again beaten up by King Cuerno, who hits a Kill of the Hunt on Mundo.
- Alberto El Patron comes out with a mic to a pop that nearly lifts the roof off the building.  He cuts a promo where he alludes to the WWE.  Part way through he is interrupted by Texano, who comes from out of nowhere. He has followed Alberto El Patron to Lucha Underground to get his belt back and beats up Alberto El Patron using a bull rope and stands over him with the belt, saying it will soon be back on his waist.

- Texano two-year unbeaten AAA Heavyweight champion until Alberto El Patron beat him

Bouts
1. Argenis vs Fenix (2.5*)  - Fenix with a pin
Solid opener with the Catrina angle as important as the match.  

2. Son of Havoc w/ Ivelisse vs Johnny Mundo (3.5*) - Mundo with an End of the World and pin
Son of Havoc gets on the mic before the match, says that finally Cueto has given him some real competition and dedicates the victory to the love of his life, Ivelisse.  Son of Havoc demonstrates more moves and skill every week, and has an even match with Mundo that he should have won other than his fatal flaw of posing when he should be getting the pin.  The way these two use the ropes as a springboard and their gymnastic abilities are so impressive.  

3. Pentagon Jr vs Ricky Mandel (1.5*) - Pentagon Jr
Pentagon squashes another foe and dedicates another broken arm to his Master.  I give this 1.5* because these are squash matches, but the bad ass, sadistic angle that Pentagon Jr is cutting is a 5* hit.

Last edited by Prometheus on Fri 29 May 2015, 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 29 May 2015, 2:33 pm

Watching that show again. If Lucha have Alberto El Patron and get Rey to sign there is no way they don't get picked up in Mexico and I think that pretty much means Season 2 will happen.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 29 May 2015, 3:30 pm

Episode 15
Storylines Developed

- Chavo's DQ hit of Mil with a chair is no-sold by Mil and it just seems to annoy him more.  He hits the flatliner on Chavo to the steel chair.  He orders Catrina to do the "lick of death" on Chavo.  She is defiant and Mil threatens to flatline her onto the chair.  Fenix comes to her aid and the two escape.  Fenix and Catrina share a kiss.
- Black Lotus picks a lock in the temple and starts to climb some stairs.  She finds the cell and says "so this is where he keeps you".  Telling the thing in the cell that when she was a little girl, all she wanted to be when she grew up was the woman who killed the thing in the cell with her bare hands.
- Cueto says the Crew have impressed him with how they have beaten up Puma, Mundo and Big Ryck who was 'blinded by the bright light of their talents'.  As a reward he gives them a main event spot and says that to stay there they have to be his rabid dogs and must destroy 3 underdogs, Sexy Star, Mascarita Sagrada and Pimpinela Escarlata in a no DQ match and hurt them so bad they never come back.
- After the match with Ivelisse, Angelico hits on her.
- Texano does a sit down interview with Vampiro in Spanish and puts himself over as a top Lucha Libre who dominated AAA for 2 years before Alberto El Patron stole his title.
- Alberto El Patron gets another phenomenal pop as he revenges his attack from the previous episode by Texano.  
- Cage demands that Cueto makes him champion.  Cueto says Cage has everything he wants in a champ, but Puma is the champion.  Cueto sets a one-on-one match with Puma for the next episode and if he wins he gets a rematch.
- Chavo quits to Cueto, telling him that Mexico got what it wants.  Cueto wishes Chavo good luck in his future endeavours and says the doors to the temple are always open.  To himself, Cueto says the Gods are not going to be pleased with this, as he looks at the broken championship belt that Cage threw at him, calling it an Aztec piece of crap.
- Big Ryck returns with an eye-patch and looking dangerous.

Bouts
1. Mil Muertes vs Chavo (2*)  - Mil DQ
This match has history back several months, as Mil was originally brought into Lucha Underground by Dario Cueto to do that job that Chavo didn't, to take out Blue Demon Jr.  But, Chavo then beat up Blue Demon with a chair and was told that all Mexico was coming for him.  Mil starts without Catrina and her absence seems to weaken Mil as this is an even bout.  
Solid opener with the Catrina angle as important as the match.  When Catrina appears with Mil's stone, the momentum switches all to him.  But she pulls his attention away with the stone and Chavo attacks with the chair to get DQ'd.  

2. Ivelisse w/ Son of Havoc vs Angelico (1*) - Ivelisse with the fluke pin after Son of Havoc's interference
Ivelisse gets on the mic and says that Son of Havoc should have had his rematch with Angelico.  But after watching him lose week after week, the baddest bitch in the building is taking the match.  Okay this is a terrible misogynistic, sexist match and I'm giving it 1* and feels like a real low point in Lucha Underground and marks the complete failure of their intergender matches.  
Spoiler:

3. Super Fly vs Texano (1.5*) - Texano by pin
An introduction to Texano in the ring as he squashes Super Fly.

4. Mascarita Sagrada, Pimpinela Escarlata & Sexy Star vs Mr Cisco, Bael and Castro Cortez (2*) - Sexy Star with a pin
The Crew are taking apart the underdog trio, until Big Ryck appears and puts the fear of God into them, allowing Sexy Star to get the win as the Crew try to run away from a confrontation with Big Ryck.

Last edited by Prometheus on Wed 03 Jun 2015, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 03 Jun 2015, 3:27 pm

Episode 16
Storylines Developed

- Black Lotus is shown tied up in the boot of a car driving the streets of Boyle Heights.
- Aerostar has a rematch with Drago to get redemption on his loss a couple of episodes ago.  After the match, Cueto says they will continue in a best of 5 series, with a "unique opportunity" for the winner.
- After Puma's match with Cage, Konnan tells Puma that whether Puma knows it or likes it, he did him a favour as war is based on deception and they need to execute their plan to win.
- Sexy Star goes to Cueto's office to tell him she is tired of men jumping in to save her and she has a problem with the Crew, who put her friends in hospital, and wants a match with them.  Cueto gives her a match with Big Ryck, who also has a problem with the Crew, winner to fight the Crew.  Cueto promises no men will interfere in their match.
- The car boot is opened and the masked man tells Black Lotus to "come with me". This last phrase goes all the way back to episode 1, when a vignette of Prince Puma fighting in the streets ended with an off-screen voice telling Puma "come with me".

- Vinny Massaro, brawler from North California

Bouts
1. Drago vs Aerostar (3*)  - Aerostar via pin.
This is another high velocity match, with lots of dives and move sequences.  

2. Cage vs Prince Puma w/ Konnan (3.5*) - Cage, after Konnan throws in the towel
Cage is brutal, and Puma is probably the best wrestler in the world right now, in that he can pull any move out at any time.  These two could put on a match of the year candidate.  

3. Pentagon Jr vs Vinny Massaro (1.5*) - Pentagon Jr by pin
Maybe only Pentagon Jr could come out after a Cage match and look like the baddest ass on the roster.  He destroys Vinny, puts him through a table and then breaks his arm, with another dedication to his Master.

4. Johnny Mundo vs King Cuerno (3*) - Double count out
A lot of people wont like this because it contains a really obvious example of the main criticism of this type of wrestling, the lack of selling.  And Cuerno works Mundo's leg, which he kind of sells when he wants, but then is okay when he needs to do a high-flying move.  Still, just enjoy the Arrow of Death into Johnny's heart and all the other moves in this (and the almost better after-match brawl), even if the story-telling is a notch below where it could be.  
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 03 Jun 2015, 4:14 pm

Episode 17
Storylines Developed

- Cueto offers Alberto El Patron matches against jobbers.  Alberto only wants Texano.  Cueto wants time to promote the match, but an increasingly irate Alberto won't accept anything else and the match is made.
- Catrina doesn't come out with Mil at the beginning of his match, but appears part way through, distracting Fenix and enabling Mil to win, who can't take his eyes off her and summons her at the end of the match telling her to lick Fenix.  Catrina denies his request and is dragged over the ropes into the ring by Mil.  Fenix is able to take Mil's stone and save the girl.  Catrina takes the stone back, gives Mil the lick of death and kisses Fenix again.
- Cueto sets up a re-match next week between Angelico and Ivelisse (who thinks she should be number one contender) with Son of Havoc as guest referee.  Cueto finishes saying he hopes Havoc can control his woman inside the ring as well as she controls Havoc out of it, Ivelisse grabs Havoc's beard and pulls him out of the meeting.
- Alberto El Patron meets Puma while Puma is training, warms Puma against Konnan and says that if Puma beats Cage, then Alberto is coming after him for the title.- After Big Ryck beats Sexy Star the Crew turn up and start to beat up Ryck.  Sexy gets involved.  The Crew threaten to remove Ryck's eye with a stick and then flee when Ryck Hulks up.
- Alberto El Patron does a backstage interview about his back story in Mexico and America and why he is in Lucha Underground - "to conquer America on his own terms by dominating in the ring".
- Cueto and Cuerno arrange a cage match for the next episode, pitting Cuerno against Johnny Mundo.  Cuerno says that after the match he will mount Mundo's head on Cuerno's office wall.

Bouts
1. Mil Muertes vs Fenix (3*)  - Mil Muertes with the pin via the Flatliner.
Their series stands at 1-1 with a side issue around Catrina.  So, this is a suitably hard hitting match from before the match starts.  Great opener, with some devastating looking moves by Mil like a Super Codebreaker and useful offence by Fenix.

2. Big Ryck vs Sexy Star (1*) - Big Ryck
Sexy Star refuses to lie down for Big Ryck or get counted out, as Big Ryck doesn't want to hurt her.  She tries to fight him, but he holds her shoulders down for the pin.  

3. Alberto El Patron vs Texano (3.5*) - Texano by DQ
Physical match, which ends when the bull rope comes into the ring and Alberto chokes Texano with it, leaving everyone wanting more.

Last edited by Prometheus on Wed 03 Jun 2015, 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 03 Jun 2015, 7:38 pm

Episode 18
Storylines Developed

- Catrina tells Fenix that he may be the man of a thousand lives, but Mil will not stop until he has taken every last one of them, and all Fenix can do to stop Mil is to bury him.  As soon as her message is delivered, she is gone.
- Konnan gets his second cool vignette in two weeks promising revenge, as we see his new metal cane being made.
- Ivelisse and Son of Havoc argue after her match.
- Catrina reminds Mil Muertes of how they first met in the Mexico earthquake when Mil was a boy and says that next week she will have Fenix send Mil back to being a scared boy in the dark and a thousand deaths are coming to him in a Grave Consequences casket match.

Bouts
1. Pentagon Jr vs Argenis (3*)  - Pentagon Jr by pin
Argenis is a step up from the jobbers that Pentagon Jr has been destroying for his Master.  But, even though Argenis gets in some initial offence, he falls to Pentagon Jr's package piledriver and has his arm broken.

2. Angelico vs Ivelisse with special guest referee Son of Havoc (2*) - Angelico via pin
Angelico continues to flirt with Ivelisse during the match.  She gets more moves in here and Angelico sells like a trooper for her.  This match still has sexist overtones, but it does a better job of showcasing the two wrestlers.  The win for Angelico comes after a kick he aimed at Son of Havoc catches Ivelisse, Angelico pins Ivelisse suggestively and Son of Havoc does a fast count to get Angelico off his girlfriend.  

3. King Cuerno vs Johnny Mundo (4*) - Johnny Mundo with an amazing Starship Pain from the top of the cage and pin
Cage match.  I've not been completely blown away by the chemistry between the two coming into this and this feud has felt just a little forced (Mundo pinned Cuerno in Aztec Warfare and I'm guessing that as King Cuerno was in Cueto's office discussing this match and Cueto doesn't like Johnny there may be a bounty on Johnny's head to collect). Anyway, here they click.  I'm not entirely sure about the story that has the Hunter, the protagonist in this feud, Cuerno trying to escape the cage, but that is a small nit-pick in a great match.  
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 12 Jun 2015, 2:10 pm

Episode 19
Storylines Developed

- Aerostar goes 2:1 up in the best of 5 series with Drago.
- Konnan gets yet another great vignette.
- Mr Cisco walks away from the match with Big Ryck but is met by Sexy Star who kicks him down the stairs and back into the ring.
- It is announced that next week the AAA Championship will be defended in a Bull Rope match between Alberto El Patron and Texano; also the Lucha Championship will be contested between Prince Puma and Cage in a Boyle Heights Streetfight.
- Mil mistakenly hits Catrina, she opens the coffin as both wrestlers fight on the apron and when Mil is thrown in licks Mil's stone and throws it in after him before shutting the lid. The coffin, Mil and Catrina leave in the procession of death to Mil's eternal resting place.

Bouts
1. Drago vs Aerostar (3*)  - Aerostar by pin
Smart to make this a best of 5, it adds some juice to a good, if not outstanding series of matches. This one is slightly slower than some of their previous matches, but still a very capable opener.

2.Big Ryck vs The Crew (2.5*) - Big Ryck pins Bael, Cortez Castro and Mr Cisco
No DQ 3 on 1 elimination match, which is more of a good revenge angle than a match, particularly on Mr Cisco.  

3. Fenix vs Mil Muertes w/ Catrina (5*) - Fenix
There is a really cool Day of the Dead entrance of the coffin for Grave Consequences. I'm not a fan of coffin matches, but this is exceptional. This might not be to everyone's taste because though LU has had a stiff chair shot on a woman and blood it is more of a comic than reality, and here there's blood and biting and it's pretty damn dark. This is a brutal brawl as much as a match, with the coffin used as a weapon rather than being a passive by-stander, Mil blocking a Fenix dive with the coffin and a completely mad suplex into the coffin being particular stand-out moments. Grave Consequences is a complete re-interpretation of a mundane gimmick, which completely gets Mil over as a beast and Fenix as the man who won't stay down.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 15 Jul 2015, 3:46 pm

Episode 20
Storylines Developed

- Son of Havoc dumps Ivelisse.  She does not take it well.  Angelico tries to take advantage and Ivelisse lays him out with a kick.
- Cueto unveils a new big money signing who will not be held back by being in a tag team.  It is revealed to be Hernandez who will have a front row seat for the main event of the show.  We subsequently learn that Konnan and Hernandez used to work together.  
- Alberto El Patron retains the AAA Mega Championship.
- A new Championship belt is unveiled, which looks awesome and Puma retains following interference by Konnan.

Bouts
1. Angelico vs Son of Havoc w/ Ivelisse (3*)  - Havoc by pin
Some great knee strikes from Angelico and Son of Havoc is at his gymnastic best.  IMO this love triangle story has sucked, but Son of Havoc becoming a better, winning wrestler out of it all might just be worth it.  

2.Texano Jr vs Alberto El Patron (3.5*) - Alberto El Patron by submission
Lucha Underground prove they are not perfect by not being able to polish the turd of a bull rope match.  At least they don't have to pat all 4 corners of the ring.  Its no Grave Consequences, but it is okay.  I think if I'd followed the feud in AAA I'd have enjoyed this more, I still don't feel I know Texano Jr. 

3. Cage vs Prince Puma (3*) - Puma
Twice in one show, Lucha Underground take on a gimmick match.  And twice in one show, they fail to provide something better than we've seen before in tired gimmicks.  Low point here, Puma does a shooting star onto Cage after putting a trash can lid onto Cage's chest.  This obviously hurts Puma more than Cage, and he should be playing the wily wrestler to Cage's muscle head here.  There's a good match between Cage and Puma (just look at the 450 through the table, or Cage catching Puma in a torture rack),  but the silly weapons and concentration on the Konnan / Hernandez stories don't help this one rise.

Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Thu 23 Jul 2015, 7:08 pm

Just binge watched it upto episode 20 Yahoo

Cage was a beast in the match against Puma. He could have easily pinned him after the powerbomb through the trashcan but I didn't like the Konnan and Hernandez interference tbh.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCelticGarbutt Thu 06 Aug 2015, 12:15 pm

Have either of you got up to Ultima Lucha yet, just watched all 3 hours whilst supposedly working, pretty brutal stuff in places!

Without spoiling anything the thing that has impressed me is how the storylines have came to natural yet interesting conclusions, not always predictable either, you may have already worked one of them out
Spoiler:
but I genuinely hadn't! Long term booking really is the way forward Shocked

TheCelticGarbutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 06 Aug 2015, 12:34 pm

Hi, I'm terribly behind on this thread just to pressures of time, but I will finish it.

I am however, almost up to date with the product. I'm currently half way through the final Ultima Lucha episode. And have made notes on the first 2 matches in the Japan and other promotions thread.

I think you can see in Pentagon Jr some of the strengths and weaknesses of the LU product. Without a doubt there is a strength in the overall character arc and this long term booking. But, this can also be a weakness, for example I think Pentagon Jr was way over back in Feb / March. They could have pushed him to the stars then. But because the series is not only plotted out, but filmed so far in advance their hands are quite tied. So, we can see where they do things they have to like shuffling Blue Demon Jr for Chavo when Chavo got legit injured, but mostly they stick to their guns. That isn't a complaint of the show, just a note.

I truly believe that Pentagon Jr has the look, act and in-ring to be one of the top 5 wrestlers in the world. Maybe not in WWE as he doesn't have the English language mic skills (I think) but he's an amazing heel. If LU gets a 2nd season what they do with him will be really interesting.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Fri 07 Aug 2015, 7:23 pm

I've just watched the iron man match between Puma and Mundo. One of the best matches I have ever seen! Both guys did brilliantly and it was an epic match. But of course, you already knew that.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 07 Aug 2015, 8:16 pm

These were some quick thoughts I had on the All Night Long match. There's IMO a legit criticism that starts to creep into LU a little before this match, but its worth pausing and noting here. Too much fighting in the crowds. The crowds are hot, there's no problem going there once every so often, but the frequency began to weaken the overall product. I get the idea that with the flying through the ropes these matches take place as much outside as in the ring, but that's a small criticism I have.

Also, I implore you. If you like Puma seek out as much (King) Ricochet as you can. Its better than Puma! He is definitely one of the top 5 wrestlers in the world right now.

"I think that was brave from Lucha Underground to do an Iron Man. As a production LU has excelled at matches that start in 5th gear and run on full octane for 10 - 15 minutes. So having the fans conditioned to that, then coming out with a match of different pacing and psychology was a risk.

I don't think it entirely worked. And when I say that I'm still happy to rate this at 4*, with some great moves (disaster kick, Michinoku driver) and Mundo getting to the bandstand was so cool. And the exit from the bandstand was maybe where this match actually really started....

Alberto Del Rio had worn me down to such an extent that I never wanted to see him again. Alberto El Patron I pop for on every appearance. And I know you can argue that his intervention here was not face, but he's had other shades to his character since he joined. Mundo as a heel, I'm enjoying, Mundo as a heel with the title I think would have worked."
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Fri 07 Aug 2015, 8:49 pm

I agree with the points you made prom. I liked the psychology of the match. When Mundo took the 4-1 lead after taking using the crowbar you could see the Puma comeback coming. I don't really mind the fighting in the crowd as it usually leads to an awesome high spot such as the table bump they both took. Mundo was good with his timewasting tactics and it was a nice little chase when Puma tried catching him.

Also i'm sure Mundo was working over Puma's left arm but he didn't really do any submission holds on it which would have been good as Puma could have shown his selling ability .

I think the only way it would have been better imo was if the match ended in a draw and Cueto came out and made it a next pinfall is the winner decider. But for the type of match it was, I enjoyed it.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 07 Aug 2015, 9:28 pm

You have to understand that I nit-pick at LU because I really do love it and you have to put the criticisms I make of that match into context of me still giving it 4*.

I think that kind of match is quite difficult to pull off as we know that if one wrestler leads the other will come back, etc. And I totally agree that in those long matches, submission moves can eat the clock and give wrestlers (and the crowd) a break when done well. Johnny Mundo I think has used his time in LU tremendously well and I hope this gets him more bookings. He's worked his ass off and I think has been one of the most consistent wrestlers they've had. He's also brought some nice nuances to the show, so for example early on when Cuerto screwed him out of the 100K I loved the way that in control Cuerto looked scared by Mundo.

Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Fri 07 Aug 2015, 9:59 pm

LU has really impressed me. When I first heard about it (about 3 months ago) I was like "What can they possibly do in a 1 hour show?" After mostly watching and getting bored of WWE and TNA I must say LU for me is much more entertaining than both. Also it looks like we'll be seeing Vampiro back in the ring again against Penta Jr. I wonder if that little tease they had with him backstage hearing voices will lead to anything.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 07 Aug 2015, 10:03 pm

Well.... ah now no spoilers for you. You've got this far, you'll get to the end of the season soon enough.

I've watched the season finale twice now. And enjoyed it a lot. It looks increasingly like LU won't be back. If there is news, then it might come this Sunday with AAAs big event of the year on, an announcement there is possible. But as each day passes and the wrestlers take more and more bookings and start turning on the show, it looks less and less likely.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Fri 07 Aug 2015, 10:46 pm

I don't know how legit this site is but I tried looking into a season 2 without spoiling myself.

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/2015/08/lucha-underground-season-2-update/
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 07 Aug 2015, 10:51 pm

Interesting.  There is a hint at the end of the final episode that ties up with what is written there.  

Flip.  Bring it on man, I'm all in!!

EDIT: I've just seen a Tweet from someone who knows Lucha inside and out referring to that 99%. So this might still be producer talk that doesn't happen, but the article at least seems bone fide.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Fri 07 Aug 2015, 11:08 pm

Yeah I really hope there is a season 2. There's still a lot of life left in LU. I'll try and watch the remaining episodes over the weekend and give my thoughts on the season finale.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Tue 25 Aug 2015, 10:50 am

Watched the final episode yesterday. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the Grave Consequences themed ep which was my pick for best LU episode, but still good non the less. The Vampiro vs Pentagon Jr match was what you would expect it would be considering Vamps limited mobility these days. The reveal of the Master was unexpected, in a good way. Fenix has win the GOTG title and if there's a s2, will be reigniting his rivalry with Mil. Catrina and her diciples hold all the power now. I wanted to see a bit more of King Cuerno as he wasn't really given a chance at the very top of the main event this season. Him against Cage would be an epic feud. Mil looks even more unstoppable than before now. I'm praying for a season 2 now!
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down