The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite

+9
Artful_Dodger
George Carlin
SecretFly
Chunky Norwich
IanBru
Breadvan
LordDowlais
Tattie Scones RRN
Notch
13 posters

Go down

Which try deserves the accolade of 'Pro12 Try of the Season?

Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Vote_lcap0%Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Vote_lcap0%Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Vote_lcap17%Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 5 ]
Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Vote_lcap28%Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 8 ]
Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Vote_lcap17%Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 5 ]
Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Vote_lcap21%Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 6 ]
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 29

Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Empty Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite

Post by Notch Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:09 pm

Here's the shortlist;

If you think a try not mentioned above deserves it, post a link to it below.

Last edited by Notch on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Empty Re: Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:38 pm

Some crackers. My top three are (in no order):

Matt Healy
Phil Burleigh
Peter Horne

I'm going to vote Burleigh's though - fantastic support play right to the end but I also have to say the Healy's kick and chase was pretty much perfection and a fantastic example of counter attacking rugby.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite Empty Re: Pro12 Try of the Season- Vote for Your Favourite

Post by LordDowlais Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:45 pm

One you have missed on there and in my opinion it was better than all of those, and that was Rhys Webb's try against Edinburgh at the Liberty Stadium early on in the season.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:16 pm

LordDowlais wrote:One you have missed on there and in my opinion it was better than all of those, and that was Rhys Webb's try against Edinburgh at the Liberty Stadium early on in the season.

It's not my list LD, its the official shortlist from Sky Sports. Feel free to post a link to any try you think deserves being talked about OK
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Sorry I incorrectly labeled the first try- it was scored by Copeland, not JOD. Fixed now.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:20 pm

Carl Meyer v Ulster wins for me. Purely for the Amos handoff on Pienaar.

Wasn't sure which one I'd take out, but then I'm not overly enthused by the last Glasgow one. Any team could score that v Cardiff mun Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:52 pm

Haven't got any links but there must have been some good superb team tries in games not covered by Sky...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Breadvan, quite a few of the tries are from non-Sky matches, including the Peter Horne try, which was covered by BBC Alba. The Sky commentator is dubbed in for that one.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:43 pm

Yeah, they dub in the Sky commentator to all the youtube highlights regardless of which broadcaster has it. Gilroys Try was on BBC NI, not Sky.

Not saying it isn't an arbitrary list, it pretty much is. That's why I'd like to see people posting their favourite tries not included in the thread.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm kind of torn in terms of my vote because... its the age-old conundrum, do you go for the best solo try or the best team try? I voted for the best solo effort, which in my opinion was Gilroy shredding the Scarlets on the counter, but the two Munster tries and the efforts from Horne and Burleigh certainly showed some real quality, ambitious team play that Gilroy one doesn't.

We should have a solo try of the year and a team try of the year award- Gilroy is also up for the IRUPA* Try of the Year for that run.

*Irish Rugby Union Players Association
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri May 01, 2015 1:19 pm

Liam Williams' up in Glasgow.
Harry Robinson's up in Edinburgh.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri May 01, 2015 1:31 pm

I've looked at them and it really is hard to call one. They're all sweet in their own way. I know many tries are but.............. they use different skills and some are individual and others are brilliant team ones..... maybe there should be two categories in future. Best Individual tries (most exciting single player action) and Best Team Tries (a genuine linked effort of class)

OH...just after looking above me. Notch says the same thing!! Now that's gotta be a good idea when both of us agree! (as rare as a straight month of sun in Ireland Wink )

Gilroy's was a great individual one. But like I said, all of them have their X factor level.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun May 03, 2015 10:08 am

The Jack O'Donoghue try and the Strauss try are the best of that bunch - I agree with LD that the Webb try against the exfoliators should also have made that shortlist.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun May 17, 2015 9:10 pm

Gilroy won it.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 17, 2015 9:19 pm

Excellent Very Happy

Over 60% of the vote share!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun May 17, 2015 11:04 pm

That's a great compilation of tries and shows off the Pro12 really well.

Congrats to Gilroy.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon May 18, 2015 7:35 am

Gilroy has had a great season. Surely he and St Thomas of Bowe have got the Irish wing berths nailed down? I have Gilroy as some distance ahead of Zebo in terms of quality.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon May 18, 2015 10:49 am

Let's see how he takes to Joe's tireless and endless ruck resourcing drills Wink Let's see how he likes them apples when he comes with his Shimmy, Shammy, Zoom CV.
Joe bins those suckers and lets all whizz boys know that he has the technology to rebuild them. To make them bigger, stronger, slower...........................

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon May 18, 2015 7:27 pm

I guess the individual skill won out over team interplay. Very happy for Gilroy since he had a tough few season before this one. Can't keep a good man down for long.

But as to Ireland I'm not sure... personally think Trimble is in pole position should he come back fit, Bowe is certain, and then I think Gilroy's lack of versatility counts against him. He's a very capable fullback at Pro12 level but doubt he'll be trusted at test level. If the two other Ulster lads are the first choices then for that third wing slot you have Zebo, McFadden and Fitzgerald who all can play more than one position.

I hope he gets a chance in the warm-up games but I reckon the odds might be against him going to the RWC.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon May 18, 2015 8:23 pm

I wouldn't be writing Zebo off just yet - he has 8 tries in 12 games in Pro12.
Gilroy has 11 tries in 17 games.

But Earls is on fire - 6 tries in his last 7 games (6 in 9 games coming back from a long injury lay off and has been playing in the centre and on the right wing).

Zebo and Fitz have left boots. Schmidt wouldn't play Fitz on the right wing because of that. Its Zebo v Fitz and on the other side the competition is Bowe v Trimble.
I think Earls will be travelling because of his form and his versatility.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon May 18, 2015 8:43 pm

Sin é wrote:I wouldn't be writing Zebo off just yet - he has 8 tries in 12 games in Pro12.

But Earls is on fire  - 6 tries in his last 7 games (6 in 9 games coming back from a long injury lay off and has been playing in the centre and on the right wing).

Zebo and Fitz have left boots. Schmidt wouldn't play Fitz on the right wing because of that. Its Zebo v Fitz and on the other side the competition is Bowe v Trimble.

Earls has been a revelation in attack - but his defence has been an issue as it always has been.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon May 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Sin é wrote:I wouldn't be writing Zebo off just yet - he has 8 tries in 12 games in Pro12.

But Earls is on fire  - 6 tries in his last 7 games (6 in 9 games coming back from a long injury lay off and has been playing in the centre and on the right wing).

Earls has been a revelation in attack - but his defence has been an issue as it always has been.

It really isn't an issue. v Ulster he made 9 and missed 2. He got handed off by Henderson I think. He was coming across and had little chance of tackling Bowe for his try.

Munster had the second best defence in the Pro12 this year (TA = 31, 1 more than Ospreys at 30). And Munster scored the most tries ever in a Pro12 season with 68 tries.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon May 18, 2015 9:37 pm

I like Earls too. But I don't think he will be in the World Cup squad unless its as a back-up outside centre in addition to wing cover. But if we take three centres you'd think Henshaw and Payne are givens, so we have a 13 who can play 15 and a guy who can play 12 and 13 very comfortably- we probably need more cover at 12 since Henshaw and Payne (and even Bowe) can slot in at 13. Then again, Madigan may travel as cover at 10 and 12. Lots of permutations and Earls chances are probably dependent upon what composition of squad Schmidt goes for.

Also, Earls has an advantage over Gilroy in that he has played multiple positions at test level, but both are making late charges and have a lot of ground towards players who were involved with Ireland this season. So that's a very big potential disadvantage. Schmidt has players who are known quantities and successful and has players coming back into form or back from injury who he hasn't used yet but may offer a bit of an attacking edge. Enviable position, and those four warm-up matches will be fascinating.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon May 18, 2015 11:13 pm

I don't think Earls is a late charger. He just needs to remain injury free. He has been called up to every Schmidt training squad to date and extended his central contract with Schmidt as head coach when he was injured last year. He has 39 caps, been on a Lions Tour and was first choice in a World Cup has plenty of experience with playing with Kearney & Bowe, Sexton and Murray.

Just a no brainer.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue May 19, 2015 3:11 am

This weekend just showed how shortsighted it is to have the best try shortlist drawn up before the season ends.

I mean Hogg's chip & collect was pretty tasty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrRMVbr2WSw

But for a solo effort Russell's dummy, step, Lomu impersonation then swerve is right up there!

https://youtu.be/mwP7s3NfT2c?t=1h13m27s

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down