The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matchroom Card May 30 PPV?

+23
Herman Jaeger
Seanusarrilius
taguey
Adam D
milkyboy
Rowley
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
rob-glos
Derbymanc
hazharrison
Nico the gman
hampo17
Dipper Brown
AlexHuckerby
Hammersmith harrier
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
Lance
wheelchair1991
BoxingFan88
mobilemaster8
Rodney
catchweight
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Matchroom Card May 30 PPV? Empty Matchroom Card May 30 PPV?

Post by catchweight Wed 08 Apr 2015, 11:15 pm

So far this looks to be easily the best Matchroom card in a while. Its been a while since I could give any matchroom card much better than a 1 star out of 5. However the May 30 bill looks good with Selby and Mitchell in proper fights. I see Ryder v Blackwell has also been added to go with fights for Cardle and Joshua featuring.

Its looking increasingly likely that Brook v Gavin will be added to the bill. Negotiations between Frampton and Quigg arent making any progress and Im fearful Hearn waving his chequebook around was just an empty stunt designed to shift the blame over to Frampton before they move on and add Quigg to May 30 bill. If this happens I seriously doubt the bill will be anything other than a ppv event.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Matchroom Card May 30 PPV? Empty Re: Matchroom Card May 30 PPV?

Post by Rodney Thu 09 Apr 2015, 8:23 am

Think you could be right mate if Brook v Gavin is added, would Sky show two PPV boxing events in one month ? They're charging £20 for a 5am fight on May 2nd with no domestic boxing added beforehand. Its not PPV worthy but its a good bill by Matchroom and one that is needed by them as mentioned their shows have been woeful in 2015, Eddie will be hoping Gavin v Brook turns into a barnstormer so he can create another British grudge bonanza, can't see it but I think Gavin does better than getting hammered early as forecasted by many, see a a closish 4-6 rounds with Gavin getting ultimately overpowered as he isn't a Welterweight in my opinion.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 1:01 pm

Confirmed as PPV and "may" include Amir Khans fight the early hours of the next morning?? Not too sure how true these rumours are but seem to have a good amount of Depth behind them.

Thoughts?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 1:24 pm

Unless the Khan fight is someone better than Alegri, not interested at all

Also considering the "standard" ppv price will now rocket up to £20

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 1:34 pm

If the card has 3 world title fights on as well as a couple of good domestic fights on i will pay for it, i did not pay for Clev v Bellew 2 but i would for this. No doubt ill get slammed on here for that

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 09 Apr 2015, 1:35 pm

We shouldnt have to pay every time Hearn manages to scrape together a decent card. Matchroom are bad for boxing the moment

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 1:36 pm

I don't like too many fights on a card..............

Sometimes it can become a slog and I get burned out.......Fury v Chisora 2 was ruined by a huge card...Started about midnight..

Two really good quality fights and maybe one up and comer......please

Less can be more...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 1:38 pm

The Fury chisora 2 bill was hard going and had a few boring fights on hopefully this will be better

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 1:41 pm

wheelchair1991 wrote:The Fury chisora 2 bill was hard going and had a few boring fights on hopefully this will be better

When I purchased Froch-Groves 2...............After the Mitchell, mcDonnell fights I just wanted the big fight to start..

I get burned out when it goes on too long..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 1:48 pm

Lance wrote:We shouldnt have to pay every time Hearn manages to scrape together a decent card. Matchroom are bad for boxing the moment

Pretty much sums up my feelings on it. It is a good card by anyone's standards, don't get me wrong, but the fans shouldn't be expected to fork out an extra fifteen to twenty quid as a little congratulatory gift to Hearn whenever he puts on an interesting card. Given that it's his job to do so and that he has such a monopoly on so many of the UK's best fighters, it's the least we should expect, particularly when he is the one on record stressing that PPV should only ever be "for really special fights."
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 1:53 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
Lance wrote:We shouldnt have to pay every time Hearn manages to scrape together a decent card. Matchroom are bad for boxing the moment

Pretty much sums up my feelings on it. It is a good card by anyone's standards, don't get me wrong, but the fans shouldn't be expected to fork out an extra fifteen to twenty quid as a little congratulatory gift to Hearn whenever he puts on an interesting card. Given that it's his job to do so and that he has such a monopoly on so many of the UK's best fighters, it's the least we should expect, particularly when he is the one on record stressing that PPV should only ever be "for really special fights."

I remember writing before Froch-Kessler 2... If you let Hearn get away with Froch-Kessler 2.............Then expect him to try his luck across the board..

Clev - Bellew made 200,000 hits apparently...............Plenty of people will buy s**t............They probably buy the wrestling too..

PPV...Something we'll have to get used to.....

Hearn has realised that hard core fans don't count..............Just as promoters before and after him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 09 Apr 2015, 1:57 pm

It all starts to make sense now, Khan and Brook fight on the same night against opposition that makes them look fantastic, heightening the appeal of the fight even further.

The month of May has some genuine 50/50 fights but to see them all it's going to cost £35 and I have no interest spending money to watch an American fight a Philippino. Mitchell and Selby have both earned their title shots more than most but it's seemed counter productive to charge fans PPV. Neither of them are big enough names to carry a PPV on their own and if they win their potential future audience doesn't increase as they would be overshadowed by Brook and Khan.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 09 Apr 2015, 2:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
wheelchair1991 wrote:The Fury chisora 2 bill was hard going and had a few boring fights on hopefully this will be better

When I purchased Froch-Groves 2...............After the Mitchell, mcDonnell fights I just wanted the big fight to start..

I get burned out when it goes on too long..

The Mitchell fight was an absolute cracker to be honest! the bar was going nuts towards the end.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 09 Apr 2015, 2:47 pm

I'd rather set fire to my nadgers and put it out with stones than pay for this PPV. If I don't end up getting a ticket I'll just wait and watch it on normal sky a week later.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 3:13 pm

Press conference tomorrow for this show, probably find out if its PPV then.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 09 Apr 2015, 4:20 pm

PPV that's unusual for Sky Cool

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 09 Apr 2015, 5:07 pm

I like Ryder vs Blackwell - cracker. I imagine Campbell gets added (warm up for Coyle).

Still isn't PPV material, though.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 09 Apr 2015, 5:22 pm

I can't see Campbell being added myself Haz, the card is a bit long already.

Mitchell vs Linares
Selby vs Gradovich
Joshua vs Johnson
Ryder vs Blackwell
Cardle vs Evans
Brook vs Gavin possibly

You're looking at 50 rounds of boxing at least there and to be honest i'm not entirely sure why Campbell isn't fighting somebody like Cardle, would be the perfect fight for him.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 09 Apr 2015, 6:46 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I can't see Campbell being added myself Haz, the card is a bit long already.

Mitchell vs Linares
Selby vs Gradovich
Joshua vs Johnson
Ryder vs Blackwell
Cardle vs Evans
Brook vs Gavin possibly

You're looking at 50 rounds of boxing at least there and to be honest i'm not entirely sure why Campbell isn't fighting somebody like Cardle, would be the perfect fight for him.

I heard a whisper he'll be added. Let's see tomorrow thumbsup

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 6:56 pm

The press conference tomorrow is also to announce another HUGE (taken from the email, not my words) world title fight. Guessing Gavin vs Brook is a done deal.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 09 Apr 2015, 7:01 pm

Unless the title fight is Huge then i won't be paying for this especially if Khan/Algieri follows afterwards.

Hopefully the casuals were bitten enough for Clev/Bellew and will turn away as well.

Probably won't happen and i'm cutting my nose off to spite my face but it's getting to a point where only 50/50 fights are on ppv for the casual and the dross is kept on sky for the regular watcher.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 8:17 pm

When he says HUGE I'm assuming it's Brook vs Thurman or Khan vs Broner or Frampton vs Quigg or Quigg vs Rigo??

The above would constitute HUGE but outside of that its Poopie

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:45 pm

For my sins I did buy the Bellew-Clev 2 PPV, however....

I don't think I'm up for two PPVs in a single month and I'm watching Pacquaio-Mayweather.  I've waited bloody years for that fight!

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:33 pm

This card is shaping up to be better that the Clev vs Bellew card. The undercard of that had one interesting kind of fight with DeGale and Periban. The others where all mismatches.

With this fight the Mitchell vs Linares and Selby vs Gradovic alone makes the card far better. Couldnt really care about Gavin vs Brook as Gavin puts me to sleep in all his fights. Would be good to see Brook finish him off. Tired off the "he was a great amateur" tagline when making excuses for Gavins boring performances.

PPV? meh, maybe as it has the two other mentioned fights which are good 50/50 fights and for legit belts rather than the regular, Intriem nonsense.

Looking forward to the Mitchell one the most
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 10 Apr 2015, 12:39 pm

Box Office it is. Great stuff.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 10 Apr 2015, 12:51 pm

No thanks.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 10 Apr 2015, 12:57 pm

Unless my brother invites me round I will also give it a miss I think.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 10 Apr 2015, 12:59 pm

Rowley, dipper... You don't understand. It's fantastic value for a great night's entertainment. Punnets full of the juiciest strawberries don't come cheap.

... Some people

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 10 Apr 2015, 1:01 pm

I'll be paying for this card instead of the Mayweather one, in truth will be a more inyriguing nights boxing and far better value.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 10 Apr 2015, 1:06 pm

So much for not having too many PPVs, now we have 2 in a month. Stupid idea but was always going to happen with three world title fights on the card.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 10 Apr 2015, 1:07 pm

I think the card is good, don't get me wrong. However I think if you pay for sky sports, good boxing should be the least you expect. Brook, a British champion making a domestic defence, Selby and Mitchell in world title bouts, good stuff. Just don't expect me to pay for it twice.

Can't help but feel people were right saying Sky've been testing the water recently with their PPV model. If Clev Bellew is PPV it makes me wonder what we get for 'free' these days.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 10 Apr 2015, 1:07 pm

How does that work Hammer just out of interest?

Watching Brook demolish an over rated no hope, Joshua fight a stinker fighter in Johnson and a couple of world title fights for Mitchell and Selby somehow rank over the greatest fight of our era in Mayweather vs Pacman?

Don't understand

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 10 Apr 2015, 1:09 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I'll be paying for this card instead of the Mayweather one, in truth will be a more inyriguing nights boxing and far better value.

It's certainly a card with some competitive match ups so let's give some credit to Eddie.

I've seen some corking Sunday league football hammy, but I'd rather watch the cup final.

Personally, I think all the c*nts who bought bellew cleverley and made Eddie's business case for him should pay the ppv's for the rest of us. We know who you are Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 10 Apr 2015, 1:11 pm

Just makes me happy the mods on here get these for free.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 10 Apr 2015, 1:12 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:How does that work Hammer just out of interest?

Watching Brook demolish an over rated no hope, Joshua fight a stinker fighter in Johnson and a couple of world title fights for Mitchell and Selby somehow rank over the greatest fight of our era in Mayweather vs Pacman?

Don't understand

Brook, Mitchell, Selby and Joshua interest me more than two overseas boxers who should have fought 5 years ago.

You said Gavin was a good opponent the other day, make your mind up.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 10 Apr 2015, 1:17 pm

Although Brook is a bigger name I'm slightly disappointed for Selby he's been shafted down the bill, tbh. When this was announced it was billed as a co-headline with Mitchell. I see Selby playing fourth fiddle to Brook, Joshua & Mitchell at the minute.

Due to the fans Josh Warrinton brings from the Star Wars cantina I think Hearn is hotter on him as well.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 10 Apr 2015, 1:18 pm

Rowley wrote:Just makes me happy the mods on here get these for free.
Depends on the cost of your soul I guess.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 10 Apr 2015, 1:26 pm

No I never said that. Read the post correctly. I said he was a good step up from Jo Jo Dan not that he was in fact a worthy opponent.

How does he even rank as a good opponent in general?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 10 Apr 2015, 1:31 pm

It's a very good domestic card but I wouldn't pay for the PPV. If I lived DAHN SAHF, I'd buy a ticket and bring a cushion.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 10 Apr 2015, 1:32 pm

Adam D wrote:
Rowley wrote:Just makes me happy the mods on here get these for free.
Depends on the cost of your soul I guess.

Rowley would sell each foot for a beer

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 10 Apr 2015, 2:26 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:Although Brook is a bigger name I'm slightly disappointed for Selby he's been shafted down the bill, tbh. When this was announced it was billed as a co-headline with Mitchell. I see Selby playing fourth fiddle to Brook, Joshua & Mitchell at the minute.

Due to the fans Josh Warrinton brings from the Star Wars cantina I think Hearn is hotter on him as well.

I do tend to agree with you but Brook being Eddie's new golden boy means he's going to be given special treatment from now on, he was the one who pushed for the fight as added preperation for a bigger test in August.

Things can change very quickly though, if Selby wins and Mitchell doesn't then he becomes a far more lucrative asset to have but Mitchell having a fairly marquee name to face off against will lead to a big pay day or two should he win.

I would rather it wasn't PPV but Ryder against Blackwell isn't a bad fifth fight to be honest and is my pick for fight of the night.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by taguey Fri 10 Apr 2015, 2:39 pm

Warrington is clearly flavour of the month with Matchroom/Sky. After he ships a few losses who will be next?

taguey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 10 Apr 2015, 3:58 pm

Who knows Taguey?

Despite this being a far better card than that Clev Bellew mismatch fest, Sky might find it a harder sell. Doesn't have that grudge match feel and its the same month as the big one. Don't see the casual forking out.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 10 Apr 2015, 5:08 pm

This PPV needs to bomb. If it bombs, Hearn will reassess. Do not buy this PPV is my advice. Hearn has lowered the PPV standard to a point where this sort of card, which although OK, gets PPV status. Do not purchase!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Fri 10 Apr 2015, 5:36 pm

No doubt there will be an IFL video with Hearn up shortly explaining that this card couldn't be put on without PPV. 

Which is nonsense, they couldn't put this on as one show but why does it have to be one show?

Hopefully everyone will still have Gavin's last performance in mind when they consider buying this... 

I'm just annoyed because I wanted to watch Joshua-Johnson. 

The May 9th show which was billed as Gavin's homecoming and a big show for Birmingham no longer makes sense either. 

Utter shambles and this is forced on us because Matchroom were given PPV dates to fill by Sky and they couldn't get Brook-Khan or Frampton-Quigg sorted. (I'd have bought both without a complaint)

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 10 Apr 2015, 5:52 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:This PPV needs to bomb. If it bombs, Hearn will reassess. Do not buy this PPV is my advice. Hearn has lowered the PPV standard to a point where this sort of card, which although OK, gets PPV status. Do not purchase!

It won't bomb...........

Has two decent paper fights and the average fan won't know Gavin is crap (Halling and smith will be mentioning his amateur career ad nauseum).......

and It's the cost of a couple of bottles of wine.......

The only unresonable element is... Us suckers pay good money for our sky packages already..

I won't buy it...............Brook v Gavin sucks..............and Selby and Mitchell don't interest me to the extent of turfing the viper out of our lounge and paying a few bucks for them..

Brook v Khan...............Frampo v Quigg...................I'd pay £20 for those..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 10 Apr 2015, 6:01 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:This PPV needs to bomb. If it bombs, Hearn will reassess. Do not buy this PPV is my advice. Hearn has lowered the PPV standard to a point where this sort of card, which although OK, gets PPV status. Do not purchase!

It won't bomb...........

Has two decent paper fights and the average fan won't know Gavin is crap (Halling and smith will be mentioning his amateur career ad nauseum).......

The only unresonable element is... Us suckers pay good money for our sky packages already..

I won't buy it...............Brook v Gavin sucks..............and Selby and Mitchell don't interest me to the extent of turfing the viper out of our lounge and paying a few bucks for them..

Brook v Khan...............Frampo v Quigg...................I'd pay £20 for those..

What you mean you've only got one lounge?

And there was us thinking you were a high flyer.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 10 Apr 2015, 6:06 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

It won't bomb...........

One lounge..Four bedrooms..Study.. .Garage......Conservatory............and that's it I'm afraid...

I'm not a high flyer Mate......Comfortable........Not in Strongy's league..

Sorry to disapppoint you...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 10 Apr 2015, 6:11 pm

You posh git Wink

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 10 Apr 2015, 6:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

It won't bomb...........

One lounge..Four bedrooms..Study.. .Garage......Conservatory............and that's it I'm afraid...

I'm not a high flyer Mate......Comfortable........Not in Strongy's league..

Sorry to disapppoint you...

Talking of Strongy, I think I've just had an idea how to make Quigg/Frampo Laugh

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next