The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who would you choose

+3
Adam D
JabMachineMK2
CallMeBenji
7 posters

Go down

Who would you choose Empty Who would you choose

Post by CallMeBenji Wed 22 Oct 2014, 4:06 pm

It occurred to me recently that, despite his much publicised turn over to the pro game along with AJ, Luke Campbell does not have, for a lack of a better phrase, a widely recognised trainer.

My personal view on him is that he hasn't moved too far from his amateur style and, in fairness, he hasn't needed to....as of yet. I would imagine that when Luke turned over he would have most likely had quite a few trainers more than willing to work with him, yet he hasn't gone for anybody with a high profile. Horses for courses I say and I could be unintentionally doing his current trainer a major dis-service, but does anybody think that he might benefit from going with somebody with more of a reputation in the pros? If so, who? Personally, and looking at things realistically (i.e. available trainers in this country) I think that Robert McCraken would be a very good fit for him. Rob will obviously know him very well already and has a very good history with Froch from a pro perspective.

As a little extra, put yourself in Luke's shoes - you're a highly decorated amateur turning over after winning gold and you've got your pick of the trainers out there. Who would you chose and why (this would be my first question on blind date if I was cool enough to go the show.....)?

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Who would you choose Empty Re: Who would you choose

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 22 Oct 2014, 4:29 pm

I'd probably go for someone like Brendan Ingle - he'll help him work on his defense at a very early stage allowing him to then gain his offense while he grows in confidence. His defensive skills improving quicker than his offensive will make his career longer than if he's taught how to go for the throat every single time.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Oct 2014, 4:37 pm

I'd go with Adam Booth or Joe Gallagher for no other reason than the f*cking meltdown on the forum would be immense

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 22 Oct 2014, 5:05 pm

Do you think that:

a)~ if Peter Fury got hold of someone really talented, he would be a great trainer

b) Someone like Enzo Calzaghe has anything to offer these days?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 22 Oct 2014, 7:04 pm

It will be interesting to see if Tyson and Hughie improve. Peter definitely has Tyson in better shape.

I get the feeling Peter is always going to train heavyweights.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 22 Oct 2014, 7:20 pm

Enzo Calzaghe never had anything to offer aside from an naturally talented son who was able to adapt mid fight by his own volition.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Sun 26 Oct 2014, 2:22 pm

He does have a recognised trainer...Mick Bromby....

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 26 Oct 2014, 3:05 pm

Top amateurs who make the transition need a TOP strength and conditioning coach more than they need a technical coach. There's little Booth can teach Campbell, technically.

They can learn the pro tricks simply from sparring experienced pro's, plus a little advice from time to time. However coaches with good reputations, such as booth, tend to have the pull factor - they draw in the best sparring partners, the best nutritionists, the best masseurs, and the best SaC coaches.  

Rarely, is success down to one man. More often than not it's down to the team.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down