The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleverly Bellew - Box Office!

+30
WelshDevilRob
hogey
trottb
Steffan
Strongback
3fingers
catchweight
BoxingFan88
JabMachineMK2
rob-glos
bellchees
Derbymanc
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
Rodney
lambertm100
kingraf
jimdig
milkyboy
neilodonnell
RanjitPatel
John Bloody Wayne
TRUSSMAN66
wheelchair1991
Sugar Boy Sweetie
hazharrison
Dipper Brown
hampo17
ONETWOFOREVER
Rowley
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cleverly Bellew - Box Office! Empty Cleverly Bellew - Box Office!

Post by Rowley Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:47 am

Just seen on Facebook that Cleverly Bellew is apparently going to be on Box Office. Have to say this is pushing things somewhat. Decent enough match up but surely Box Office should be reserved for the elite fights. This is a even match up between two decent enough pros but surely is not Box Office worthy. Got to say Sky and Eddie are pushing their luck with this. Will need to be one hell of an undercard to justify the box office fee for this.

Strongy, feel free to rupture your spleen at will.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Cleverly Bellew - Box Office! Empty Re: Cleverly Bellew - Box Office!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:52 am

I thought the first fight was a cracker.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:54 am

Just posted this in the other thread. Undercard is decent tbf, here's a quote from the press release I've just received.

This mouth-watering rematch headlines a huge night for British boxing with early confirmed undercard fights seeing Scott Quigg defend his WBA World Super Bantamweight title for the fifth time against an opponent to be named shortly and Jamie McDonnell defends his WBA World Bantamweight title against Walberto Ramos – with the winner of that fight facing WBO champion Tomoki Kameda in a unification clash. Anthony Joshua MBE takes on Michael Sprott in a British Heavyweight title eliminator, unbeaten Liverpool sensation Callum Smith meets Nikola Sjekloca in an official eliminator for the WBC Super Middleweight title, and promoter Eddie Hearn set to announce more big fights soon with James DeGale MBE and Stephen Smith set to feature in crunch clashes.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:56 am

Box office is a joke. Neither are 'box office' fighters. Could and should turn out to be a decent scrap since they are evenly matched but are Cleverly or Bellew the kind of fighters you would pay to watch? Not for me.

Worried with all the talk of 'domestic dust ups' that this will become the norm. Sky costs enough anyway.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:56 am

Decent like you say Hampo, still don't like seeing domestic cards as Box Office though. Would also have to ask what is Degale's "crunch" clash going to be, thought his last fight was an eliminator? Eddie can't be suggesting he is going to put him in with someone good enough to upset the apple cart and actually beat him before he gets his title shot.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:57 am

I'm surprised Callum Smith has a WBC eliminator, that's chucking him the deep end.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:00 pm

Nah, sorry Hampo but the Matchroom roster all getting a run out in 'final final eliminators' (isn't DeGale mandatory for IBF anyway?) doesn't make a good undercard for me. Unless Quigg's opponent is Frampton then it's bogus. And obviously Quigg Frampton would headline it's own show.

This is poor.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:02 pm

It's a domestic card with two world titles on, a world title eliminator, potentially two as I believe the main event is set to be one as well. The only reason people will say this is a bad card is because it's on box office, don't like it then don't pay for it but it's a far better card than many of the ones we've had recently both in the UK and the states.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:06 pm

Is not as simple as, if you don’t like it don’t pay for it though Hampo. We are fans of the sport, why should we be denied the opportunity to watch the sport we love because we refuse to be exploited over and above fans of other sport? This is a better than average card for certain, but most people do not feel is good enough to justify box office, as fans they are entitled to express that opinion

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:08 pm

That's exactly what I'm saying. The card would be fine, to be honest if it wasn't up in Liverpool I'd be tempted to buy a ticket. But to charge people for it on box office, that I can't agree with.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:13 pm

Rowley wrote:Is not as simple as, if you don’t like it don’t pay for it though Hampo. We are fans of the sport, why should we be denied the opportunity to watch the sport we love because we refuse to be exploited over and above fans of other sport? This is a better than average card for certain, but most people do not feel is good enough to justify box office, as fans they are entitled to express that opinion

The problem I have mate is that every time a fight is announced people find someway to dump on it. It gets boring, sadly it's become a very common thing with boxing fans. This fight was always going to be on box office, Sky know they can keep showing reels of Bellew saying how he wants to end Cleverlys career and how Cleverly will knock him out and the casual fan will buy in to it and have no issue paying £15 for 7 fights.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:20 pm

My worry is, where does it stop? Should Quigg Frampton or Khan Brook get made, they surely would be box office as well. People will justify it by saying this fight was box office so why shouldn't that be? I don't see why consumers should be made to pay for a sky subscription and pay again for a sport they're interested in. I think it's pure greed.

I'm not criticising the card itself, just the spin that's put on it to make it a PPV.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:22 pm

I'd say Hearn is pretty smart when it comes down to which fights go on box office and which don't Dipper, this one is on there because the undercard is stacked. Most fight cards don't have that many twelve rounds that will be shown live.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:34 pm

hampo171 wrote:Just posted this in the other thread. Undercard is decent tbf, here's a quote from the press release I've just received.

This mouth-watering rematch headlines a huge night for British boxing with early confirmed undercard fights seeing Scott Quigg defend his WBA World Super Bantamweight title for the fifth time against an opponent to be named shortly and Jamie McDonnell defends his WBA World Bantamweight title against Walberto Ramos – with the winner of that fight facing WBO champion Tomoki Kameda in a unification clash. Anthony Joshua MBE takes on Michael Sprott in a British Heavyweight title eliminator, unbeaten Liverpool sensation Callum Smith meets Nikola Sjekloca in an official eliminator for the WBC Super Middleweight title, and promoter Eddie Hearn set to announce more big fights soon with James DeGale MBE and Stephen Smith set to feature in crunch clashes.

What's decent about that?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:36 pm

hazharrison wrote:
hampo171 wrote:Just posted this in the other thread. Undercard is decent tbf, here's a quote from the press release I've just received.

What kind of undercard do you want? 10 six rounders that people then moan about them being boring, or that? No pleasing some people there really isn't.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:37 pm

hampo171 wrote:I'd say Hearn is pretty smart when it comes down to which fights go on box office and which don't Dipper, this one is on there because the undercard is stacked. Most fight cards don't have that many twelve rounds that will be shown live.

Usually he is, this could prove to be an error of judgement. Already seen a lot of backlash on twitter (Eddies medium of choice), with people saying 'PPV for euro level fight is not on' and 'good domestic card but no way PPV' etc. and they're right. A solid domestic card should be the right of any boxing fan that pays his Sky Sports subscription. Clev Bellew is the footballing equivalent of Tottenham v Everton, but as ever they try to fleece the boxing fan. It's unadulterated greed. Why was Froch Groves II £17 bit this is £15? Because they knew it would be a seller and it was an easy way of nicking probably an extra 2 million quid of the punters.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:40 pm

Would anyone on here buy this? No recognisable opponents for the home fighter (save Sprott.......Spott!!) and a decent domestic fight that's likely to be poorer than the first (as both men have been thoroughly thrashed since).

That's one of the most awful PPV cards I can remember.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:41 pm

Quigg will be fighting Agekbo, i will not be paying for this i think its a joke really

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:41 pm

hampo171 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

What kind of undercard do you want? 10 six rounders that people then moan about them being boring, or that? No pleasing some people there really isn't.

Competitive fights. Look at the Fury bill. Saunders vs Korobov and Sykes vs Walsh. That's far more bang for your buck than a procession of whitewashes.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:44 pm

hampo171 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Competitive fights. Look at the Fury bill. Saunders vs Korobov and Sykes vs Walsh. That's far more bang for your buck than a procession of whitewashes.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:45 pm

hazharrison wrote:Would anyone on here buy this? No recognisable opponents for the home fighter (save Sprott.......Spott!!) and a decent domestic fight that's likely to be poorer than the first (as both men have been thoroughly thrashed since).

That's one of the most awful PPV cards I can remember.

No, I won't be buying this.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:47 pm

hazharrison wrote:
hampo171 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

You've pointed out one card, out of how many? The most interesting fight on that card hasn't even been officially announced yet either.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:48 pm

Some people think Bush was behind 9/11...So it goes without saying some people are stupid enough to think it's worth buying on PPV..

15 pounds is F-All....Out of principle I won't be paying for a fight between two guys found out at World class level who are on B.O because they apparently don't like each other !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:54 pm

What worries me is that when skys media machine goes into overdrive people will buy it

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:56 pm

hampo171 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
hampo171 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

You've pointed out one card, out of how many? The most interesting fight on that card hasn't even been officially announced yet either.

That's an example of a card of competitive fights (there aren't many these days). I don't believe any card should be PPV but if it is, then it should contain competitive fights.

I wouldn't even go out of my way to watch the Matchroom card if it was on Sky -- surely everyone's tired of watching Joshua bombing overmatch oppo out (he should be left to develop away from the limelight) and poor Quigg whack out another South American who's been imported for £32k?

Last edited by hazharrison on Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:58 pm

wheelchair1991 wrote:What worries me is that when skys media machine  goes into overdrive people will buy it

More fool them. It's unlikely to be a great fight.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:00 pm

Got to be careful with this one Wheelie......When Haye was on he was basically a unified cruiser and alphabet heavy champ....Froch also was a multi belt winner and good achiever..

Buy this and you'll give the green light to anything.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:03 pm

I wont buy it Truss im just worried that with the inevitable 'hatred' at the press build ups and skys build up and hype lots of people will buy it

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:06 pm

Isn't everybody getting sick of this eliminator-crap !!!

Everyone knows you don't need them these days..Stop making turd fights sound important and stop insulting the intelligence..

Like I've said before and took flak for...

All Promoters are the same !!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:18 pm

I don't consider myself one to always find a reason to dump on fights, in fact it's a trait that annoys me no end. I like jumping on bandwagons and watching sluggers with their chins out. I think Bellew v Cleverly's a great scrap, been looking forward to it. Don't really care what relevance it has on world stage, they're evenly matched, styles gel, bit of a grudge. But a domestic dust up between two guys on the rebuild is not PPV, if I were a sky subscriber I'd be fuming.

Regardless if what title you give a fight, belts and the like mean little, while eliminators for belts mean nothing. It's about the names, and there's not a single fight on that undercard that looks competitive. You've got to be mad or have an agenda to think that's PPV worthy. I hope the welsh and scouse fans aren't taken in and it bombs.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:22 pm

When JBW gets serious.....

You know the card must suck.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:31 pm

He should get serious more often Truss. Nobody could not have summed up the feeling on this one any better.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:36 pm

We'll have to get Hampo to relay our frustration to his Mate, Eddie.

Still brightside we won't have to worry about Quigg headlining a show...He'll have to fight at World level first being a 122 pounder..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:We'll have to get Hampo to relay our frustration to his Mate, Eddie.

My VIP pass has already arrived Wink , however I have just uploaded article which I'll tweeted to Eddie and Matchroom which documents certain fans concerns.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:46 pm

Seems like people are expected to pay to just see the 'name' against anyone and be happy with that (undercard) wise instead of a 'name' in a competitive fight.

Not that interested in the fight even if it was on Sky as I just don't like either of them but probably would have changed my mind as the fight gets closer.

Needed an undercard to sell this really but it's full of the names that we get to see for free on an ordinary Saturday night against the level of opponents (or will be against) that normally compete with them.

Seems like the plan is putting more fights on the card, even though they may not be competitive, will sell this as a ppv.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:47 pm

http://www.v2boxing.com/1/post/2014/10/should-cleverly-vs-bellew-2-be-on-ppv.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:55 pm

Am I right in thinking you don't need to have Sky Sports to order Box Office?

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:58 pm

Your pass will be rescinded hampo!

1 more for the 'won't be buying club'

Be an interesting test for the sky marketing machine. They normally get these things right. It seems like most real boxing fans won't be buying. Can a few clips of feisty press conferences sell this to the casuals... Without their boxing fan mates encouragement?

Both these guys  got battered when they stepped up in class. It's just a domestic must up. Be interesting to see how many buys outside of wales and Liverpool it does.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:00 pm

Quigg vs fighter to be named !!!!!!!!..

Wonder who the unlucky Flyweight is..

Plenty out there like Soldier and Steffan...Milky!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:01 pm

Sky Sports are reporting it'll be Joseph Agbeko on their app, won't have fought for nearly twelve months if that's right since he lost to Rigo.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:02 pm

Think what is really a concern here is the PPV model this represents. Traditionally PPV was reserved for mega fights, two superstars meeting each other in a fight that got the pulse going. That was, over time diluted into superstars against lesser opponents but with a decent undercard to prop it up. This is neither of those things it is a decent match up with two seemingly evenly matched fighters, but both of whom are a country mile away from being superstars. That in itself is bad enough, but lets be honest is the undercard great? Some decent enough fighters on there, but does anyone believe Quigg, Degale or McDonnell are going to be fighting anyone of any great note? You’re more optimistic than me if so.

So what have we got, a decent domestic/euro main event along with some half decent fighters in not especially intriguing fights. Boxing fans already get exploited more than any other fan to watch their sport, no other sport has the equivalent of boxnation, no other sport has PPV is it any wonder that we get upset when that already exploitative model is used for cards of this nature?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:04 pm

This seems a very short sighted money grab by sky/hearn. I've often thought that the reason sky shows boxing is because it gives them access to the potential ppv revenue stream. Hatton, Khan, haye and some other warren domestic cards must have been a nice sideline over the years. I was glad to see haye kill ppv for a while, but worried it might lead to sky pulling out of the boxing market completely. 

Froch has shown that there is life in the old ppv dog yet if you present a product with needle and guarenteed action. Clev v bell on ppv is taking the urine though, neither fighter are even or ever will be world level. I think this is very ill judged, and hope for sanitys sake it bombs.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:05 pm

hampo171 wrote:Sky Sports are reporting it'll be Joseph Agbeko on their app, won't have fought for nearly twelve months if that's right since he lost to Rigo.

I retract what I wrote Mate...

As for the opponent......You gotta be joking.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:08 pm

Costs for a Sky Sports Subscriber:

Ryder Cup - Free

The Ashes - Free

Monoco Grand Prix - Free

Champions League Final - Free

Nathan Cleverly vs Tony Bellew - £15

On reflection I've changed my mind, can't fathom why folk would be getting wound up.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:12 pm

hampo171 wrote:Sky Sports are reporting it'll be Joseph Agbeko on their app, won't have fought for nearly twelve months if that's right since he lost to Rigo.

That's actually a step up for him to be fair.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:16 pm

I think the chidora fury card has potential to be better then this card if BJS gets his world title fight on it

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:17 pm

Thats not hard though is it Haz

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:18 pm

Rowley wrote:Costs for a Sky Sports Subscriber:

Ryder Cup - Free

The Ashes - Free

Monoco Grand Prix - Free

Champions League Final - Free

Nathan Cleverly vs Tony Bellew - £15

On reflection I've changed my mind, can't fathom why folk would be getting wound up.

Don't mention the Ryder cup...I'd pay £15 not to watch it !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:20 pm

wheelchair1991 wrote:Thats not hard though is it Haz

I think Haz was being sarcastic..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:22 pm

Sky does have an odd PPV system. Nearly cancelled boxing because they were making dud fights... Now they are back here. always difficult for networks to find the G-spot when it comes to ripping off fans.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next