The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPro 12 - Ulster V Edinbrugh Rugby

+33
ghad
MrsP
neilthom7
Biltong
LeinsterFan4life
The Saint
EWT Spoons
jimbopip
cakeordeath
Lowlandbrit
malky1963
Dorothy_Mantooth
BigGee
GLove39
Argybargy
Nematode
VinceWLB
IanBru
InjuredYetAgain
marty2086
theshanker
JonnyEdinburgh
RuggerRadge2611
The Great Aukster
TJ
Kingshu
Don Alfonso
George Carlin
Pete330v2
funnyExiledScot
tigertattie
Notch
RDW
37 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

GPro 12 - Ulster V Edinbrugh Rugby Empty GPro 12 - Ulster V Edinbrugh Rugby

Post by RDW Tue 30 Sep 2014, 12:37 pm

GPro 12 - Ulster V Edinbrugh Rugby Ulster10                GPro 12 - Ulster V Edinbrugh Rugby Edinbu12
Ulster Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby
Friday 3rd October 2014
KO 19:35
Ravenhill Kingspan Stadium
GPro 12 - Ulster V Edinbrugh Rugby Euro10

Live on BBC NI/BBC ALBA

Referee: Claudio BlessanoGPro 12 - Ulster V Edinbrugh Rugby Headsl10(FIR, 7th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Leo Colgan, Brian MacNeice (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Eddie Walsh (IRFU)
TMO: Marshall Kilgore (IRFU)

Head to head:

29 Played 29
19 Wins 9
9 Losses 19
1 Draws 1
69 Tries 49
47 Conversions 36
89 Penalties 63
3 Drop Goals 6
715 Points 524
27 Avg. Age 25

Teams:

Ulster
GPro 12 - Ulster V Edinbrugh Rugby Villagepeoplegowestsingle

15. Louis Ludik
14. Andrew Trimble
13. Jared Payne
12. Stuart McCIoskey
11. Tommy Bowe
10. Paddy Jackson
9. Paul Marshall

1. Ruaidhri Murphy
2. Rory Best (Captain)
3. Wiehahn Herbst
4. Alan O’Connor
5. Franco van der Merwe
6. Robbie Diack
7. Chris Henry
8. Roger Wilson

Replacements
16. Rob Herring
17. Andrew Warwick
18. Bronson Ross
19. Lewis Stevenson
20. Nick Williams
21. Michael Heaney
22. Stuart Olding
23. Darren Cave

Edinburgh
GPro 12 - Ulster V Edinbrugh Rugby Longroadtoruincover

15 Greig Tonks
14 Jack Cuthbert
13 Sam Beard
12 Andries Strauss
11 Tim Visser
10 Phil Burleigh
9 Sean Kennedy

1 Rory Sutherland
2 Ross Ford
3 John Andress
4 Anton Bresler
5 Grant Gilchrist
6 Mike Coman (captain)
7 Roddy Grant
8 Cornell Du Preez

Substitutes
16 James Hilterbrand
17 Allan Dell
18 Willem Nell
19 Ollie Atkins
20 Tomas Leonardi
21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
22 Tom Heathcote
23 Nick McLennan

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Thu 02 Oct 2014, 3:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

GPro 12 - Ulster V Edinbrugh Rugby Empty Re: GPro 12 - Ulster V Edinbrugh Rugby

Post by Notch Tue 30 Sep 2014, 12:38 pm

After last week, nothing but a comfortable bonus point win for Ulster will do. I want to see a big, big backlash.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Sep 2014, 12:44 pm

Given that we are on very shaky form just now, and we've been dished out plenty pumpings in Belfast in the past, I'm really not looking forward to this one.

Ulster will have a real bee in their bonnet after last week and will be wanting to put in a big performance - I fear we're going to be on the wrong end of a backlash this week.

Selection wise, most Edinburgh fans will say the same thing - Strauss needs to be dropped. He did the odd good carry last week, but was largely anonymous and that stupid penalty leading up to their 2nd try is surely a drop-able offence. However, given Solomons wants to drop Strauss as much as a prison newbies wants to drop the soap during their first prison shower, I can't see it happening.

For me Gilchrist and Grant need to start, as they were instrumental in us somehow managing to take something out of the Scarlets team.

My squad:

1 Dickinson
2 Ford
3 Andress
4 Gilchrist
5 Bresler (starting to show some improvements, and should be used to things now)
6 Leonardi
7 Grant
8 Du Preez

9 Kennedy / Hart
10 Heathcoat
11 Visser
12 Hurly
13 Beard
14 Whichever fit winger we have available
15 Cuthbert

And finally, surely we need to concentrate on not getting a yellow card - 6 in 4 games is ridiculous. We've spent 1/5th of the entire season so far down to 14 men!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 30 Sep 2014, 12:47 pm

If the wind is blwoing from the west then I see Edinburgh winning

If the wind is blowing from the east I see Ulster winning

If the wind is blwoing from the north I see the game being a draw

If the wind is blowing from the south then I see Mary Poppins floating in, replacing Stauss in the centre and using her "leadership" skills to better effect!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Sep 2014, 12:51 pm

tigertattie wrote:If the wind is blwoing from the west then I see Edinburgh winning

If the wind is blowing from the south then I see Mary Poppins floating in, replacing Stauss in the centre and using her "leadership" skills to better effect!

Headscratch

That's definitely up there with one of the strangest posts I've seen on here....and that's taking all of Schitzoid's posts into account!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Sep 2014, 12:53 pm

Notch wrote:After last week, nothing but a comfortable bonus point win for Ulster will do. I want to see a big, big backlash.

How's your squad looking Notch? Gilchrist returning will be a big bonus for us, as he'll hopefully help the lineout (which was an utter shambles last week). I'm hoping Dougie Fife will be back too, as we really need to be playing actual wingers on the wing.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 30 Sep 2014, 1:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
tigertattie wrote:If the wind is blwoing from the west then I see Edinburgh winning

Headscratch

That's definitely up there with one of the strangest posts I've seen on here....and that's taking all of Schitzoid's posts into account!

I conclude that Scott Johnson has hijacked Tattie's account!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 30 Sep 2014, 1:47 pm

Nah, it's the new way to try and determine how edinburgh will play! The bookies are looking at adopting this method.

Ladbrooks have odds of 4 to 1 that Poppins will score/create more tries this season than Strauss
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 30 Sep 2014, 1:49 pm

I wouldn't worry about lineouts RDW if ours is anything like it was last week. My freakin granny could make more impact and she's long demised.

A backlash is exactly what the Ulster squad need, a backlash combined with a point to prove and the doubters to silence. I wish I could be more confident, in fact the only thing adding to my confidence after losing to Zebre is the fact that we won't be getting the gibbon two weeks running. That way at least the teams can decide the outcome.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Sep 2014, 1:51 pm

I'm pretty sure we'd win the competition of whose lineout was worse last week!

To be fair, there aren't any teams you'd rather be facing at home just now than Edinburgh - we really are in disarray and shot of confidence.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 30 Sep 2014, 1:58 pm

This fixture already has a feel of a race to the bottom on here.

Trust me Ulster fans, you'll win this game. I know I made that prediction against the Scarlets, but this one is away from home and last time we played away the Ospreys scored a hatful, with our defence only marginally worse than our non-existant attack.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:36 pm

RDW - are you implying that Notch has a handlebar moustache and thinks it's fun to stay at the YMCA?

Ulster will get back on track with this game, suffice to say. I will only be urined off with Solly if he keeps loyalty to the guys were were so utterly merde against the Scarlets. And if our set piece doesn't improve, I really will despair.

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:52 pm

Ulster should win this, and after losing to Zebre last week we really need to target a bonus point win. Still hurts Sad

A vast improvement on last week demanded, and with no red cards! mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:53 pm

Time to build up a head of steam. I want to see, a first fifteen of ULSTER-MAX!!

In other words:

1) Warwick
2) Best
3) Herbst
4) Van Der Merwe
5) Stevenson
6) Diack
7) Henry
8) Wilson
9) Marshall
10) Jackson
11) Trimble
12) Olding
13) Cave
14) Bowe
15) Payne
16) Black
17) Herring
18) Ross
19) McComb
20) Ross
21) Heaney
22) Humphreys
23) Ludik

I’d like Clive Ross (or possibly Reidy) to get a shake of the stick because if Henry gets injured in these next four games we are banjaxed, and looking at McComish as a replacement. It might not be a bad idea to give Diack a bit of time at second row, again because of how bare the cupboard is. Jackson needs more game time and Marshall(L)  could be starting.

We need to start playing.

Last edited by Don Alfonso on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cannae type)

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:59 pm

Think Reidy had a good game last week v Malone. He scored two tries apparently. Ross deserves a run out though after having to come off early last week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 30 Sep 2014, 4:03 pm

I really feel sorry for Edinburgh fans,
I'm beginging to think that they only beat Munster to raise hope in thier fans so they could dissapoint them even more,

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 30 Sep 2014, 5:44 pm

Given Edinburghs fight back last week and both a better defense adn attack I am not as gloom and doom as some. A win for Edinburgh will not come easily - but it is possible. Its not like Ulster are steamrollering everyone. Only 2 wins so far - one more than Edinburgh.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 30 Sep 2014, 10:28 pm

Alan Solomons knows better than most how to handle Ulster. He is improving Edinburgh piece by piece despite losing key players like Laidlaw and Rennie. Ulster have to win but it won't be easy.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 30 Sep 2014, 11:37 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Notch wrote:After last week, nothing but a comfortable bonus point win for Ulster will do. I want to see a big, big backlash.

How's your squad looking Notch? Gilchrist returning will be a big bonus for us, as he'll hopefully help the lineout (which was an utter shambles last week). I'm hoping Dougie Fife will be back too, as we really need to be playing actual wingers on the wing.

I expect (hope) the team will look like;

1. Andrew Warwick
2. Rory Best (c)
3. Wiehahn Herbst
4. Franco van der Merwe
5. Lewis Stevenson
6. Robbie Diack
7. Chris Henry
8. Roger Wilson
9. Paul Marshall
10. Paddy Jackson
11. Tommy Bowe
12. Stuart Olding
13. Jared Payne
14. Andrew Trimble
15. Louis Ludik

16. Rob Herring 17. Callum Black 18. Bronson Ross 19. Neil McComb 20. Nick Williams 21. Michael Heaney 22. Luke Marshall 23. Craig Gilroy

We've just suffered a bad reversal and this is our chance to put it right. I hope its nothing but the very strongest available side with the intention of gelling before the Champions Cup starts. Two home games up next, Edinburgh and Glasgow, minimum of nine points needed from them whilst denying the visitors anything. Desperately need to make up lost ground on Glasgow and the Ospreys.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 01 Oct 2014, 7:19 am

Oh smeg. We've got Blessano with the whistle.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:07 am

I'd settle for eight points in the next two games Notch, I know we need to make up for that defeat and make up on lost ground but two wins from the next two would put half a smile back on my face. It's been a long week, that loss to Zebre has really gotten me down.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:28 am

Hopefully this is the game where Edinburgh can gain some consistancy. I'm not expecting a miracle, just guys playing well would suffice.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:31 am

Pete330v2 wrote:I'd settle for eight points in the next two games Notch, I know we need to make up for that defeat and make up on lost ground but two wins from the next two would put half a smile back on my face. It's been a long week, that loss to Zebre has really gotten me down.

I disagree. When you look at what the Ospreys did to Edinburgh, we have at the very least match them in terms of match points. Won't be easy but they are setting the pace and getting the bonus is crucial to avoid them drifting off.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:35 am

I reckon this will be very tight to be honest.  
From an Edinburgh POV, we had a good win v Munster and if it wasn't for our dreadful set pieces (scrum v Connacht, line-out v Scarlets) we may well have been sitting pretty on 3 wins right now.
Ulster can say the same if it wasn't for the red card last week.
The Ospreys game has really left a horrid taste in the mouth but I think it is skewing peoples thoughts a bit too much.  Until it is repeated (god forbid!) I'm putting that down to a one-off, we have a couple of key players back now and if we sort out the scrum + line out reckon we can win this one.
I think it'll be a 3 point win at the most either way. Pre-match talk of a BP is just setting yourself up for a fall, you'd never catch an Edinburgh fan talk like that Smile

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:52 am

Maybe so Johnny, but if we don't get a BP win its not a good result. It's not about disrespecting Edinburgh. It's about respecting our own potential to be 1st or 2nd in the league this year. It's been a very poor season for Ulster so far in terms of performance. It's simply not been good enough, and we need a statement of intent thats going to make the rest of the league sit up and take notice. The best team in the league right now got 5 points at home to Edinburgh, we want to be where they are on the table in May we need to be doing the same.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:56 am

Notch wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:I'd settle for eight points in the next two games Notch, I know we need to make up for that defeat and make up on lost ground but two wins from the next two would put half a smile back on my face. It's been a long week, that loss to Zebre has really gotten me down.

I disagree. When you look at what the Ospreys did to Edinburgh, we have at the very least match them in terms of match points. Won't be easy but they are setting the pace and getting the bonus is crucial to avoid them drifting off.

Unfortunately we're not in the same kind of form the O's are Notch. As much as I know we will bounce back from last week's nightmare, I don't think Edinburgh are going to roll over like they did against Ospreys. It may well happen that we get the five points and every single point is vital now but I won't be holding my breath. Beating Glasgow will take one hell of a performance a few gears higher than Ulster have even looked like reaching. Perhaps the Zebre experience will end up being the wake up call that's needed, I very much hope so. Silver linings are the kind of things we need.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:11 am

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ulster-regroup-ahead-of-edinburgh-fixture-after-shock-defeat-to-zebre-1.1947034

Chris Henry is scundered about Ulster's wick display against Zebre.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:38 am

I know we're being defeatist here, but I genuinely can't remember the last time Edinburgh were facing a home team who were looking for a big performance, and we didn't turn on our backs, present our soft underbelly and let them run in the tries.

Edinburgh have had a whole week to fix the set piece - and Gilchrist returning will help there - so I am expecting us to at least be competitive, but I can see Ulster building up a head of steam early on and running in the tries.

Is it depressing that my opinion of this Edinburgh team has fallen so much that all I am aiming for is us to be competitive?? Crying or Very sad

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:00 am

I'm in the same boat RDW. I just want to have some pride in the performance, and see some glimpes of potential that can be developed into something.

Watching Strauss fumble his way through games week in week out is soul destroying. He's killing our backline, without any potential long term benefit to the club or Scotland.

I watched the Edinburgh highlights last night which were pretty brief, but both the Scarlet's tries were horribly soft. We are still gifting opponents too many points, whereas we seem to have to scrap so hard.

At least if we can get Gilchrist and Bresler together fully fit and firing that'll be a big start, and Solomons needs to put a rocket up Du Preez, because he's an exceptional player but currently drifting a little.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:30 pm

The highlights were brief, and missed out the lineout after lineout that was a complete shambles. It was even getting into the 'not even jumping' territory and the ball flying over the back - that is embarrassing at professional level.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 01 Oct 2014, 3:25 pm

If the lineout at Edinburgh still isn't functioning in anyway then Solomons should conduct an immediate review to ascertain who is culpable. When you watch the Rugby Championship and see how effortlessly the lineouts operate it is an utter embarrassment to see players looking confused as to where the ball is thrown and not even jumping.

It's been a shambles for far too long and something must be done now. We're losing lineouts without the opposition even having to contest!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 01 Oct 2014, 3:38 pm

That's my pet hate about Edinburgh and indeed Scotland - we make things look so difficult that other teams make look so easy. Combine that with having to work bloody hard for any point, then giving points away very easily with the opposition barely having to work up a sweat, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 01 Oct 2014, 5:00 pm

So Ulster fans will ascertain that we're very confident about completely stuffing you in this game.
GPro 12 - Ulster V Edinbrugh Rugby Bangin11
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 01 Oct 2014, 6:10 pm

Here's who won't be playing for Ulster

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestNews/TabId/149/ArtMID/793/ArticleID/1886/Ulster-Ravens-team-named-for-Connacht-A-clash.aspx

The only guy who has more caps for Ireland than Gordon D'Arcy at 12 in the last year or two is Luke Marshall. He can't make the first choice 23 for Ulster right now. Thats great depth.

If only we could say the same about our pack!

Callum Black and Neil McComb are on the naughty step after shoite performances against Zebre. The backrow selection suggests that we are going with our strongest combination- Diack, Henry and either Wilson or Williams. Probably Wilson.

I wager we'll be seeing the Olding-Payne centre partnership. Don't know whether it will be McCloskey or Cave on the bench, would be surprised if its Humphreys.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by theshanker Thu 02 Oct 2014, 12:18 pm

Ulster team to play Edinburgh, Kingspan Stadium, Friday 3rd October (kick-off 19:35) – live on BBC 2 Northern Ireland:

15. Louis Ludik
14. Andrew Trimble
13. Jared Payne
12. Stuart McCIoskey
11. Tommy Bowe
10. Paddy Jackson
9. Paul Marshall

1. Ruaidhri Murphy
2. Rory Best (Captain)
3. Wiehahn Herbst
4. Alan O’Connor
5. Franco van der Merwe
6. Robbie Diack
7. Chris Henry
8. Roger Wilson

Replacements
16. Rob Herring
17. Andrew Warwick
18. Bronson Ross
19. Lewis Stevenson
20. Nick Williams
21. Michael Heaney
22. Stuart Olding
23. Darren Cave

theshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 12:44 pm

That's the side to do the job (although I know nothing of O'Connor) with plenty of impact coming off the bench. Lets go for a bit of continuity and less rotation for a while now. If this group of player can't get the job done then we're really up that old creek.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:31 pm

...and here's the Edinburgh team they'll be beating:

Edinburgh Rugby team v Ulster, Friday 3 October, Kingspan Stadium, Ravenhill, kick-off 7.35pm

15 Greig Tonks
14 Jack Cuthbert
13 Sam Beard
12 Andries Strauss
11 Tim Visser
10 Phil Burleigh
9 Sean Kennedy

1 Rory Sutherland
2 Ross Ford
3 John Andress
4 Anton Bresler
5 Grant Gilchrist
6 Mike Coman (captain)
7 Roddy Grant
8 Cornell Du Preez

Substitutes
16 James Hilterbrand
17 Allan Dell
18 Willem Nell
19 Ollie Atkins
20 Tomas Leonardi
21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
22 Tom Heathcote
23 Nick McLennan

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:37 pm

So....

Burleigh is in at 10 rather than Tonks or Heathcote.
Strauss retains his place at 12.
Cuthbert is on the wing.
Leonardi is dropped for "Captain Coman"

Awful. An entirely NSQ midfield, with mediocrity at its core, is precisely the last thing Scottish rugby requires of 1 of its 2 pro sides.

The good news is the first choice second row pairing is up and running and the decision to give Rory Sutherland an opportunity. I also think Beard is doing an ok job at 13 and of course it is always pleasing to see Visser on the wing, just in case the opposition accidentally throw him the ball.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:54 pm

Looks like the Payne at 13 experiment is wearing a bit thin, with yet another partner to gel with and two former ones on the bench.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

I'm fairly pleased with that squad to be honest FES.
Key points I'd say:
1. The use of Burleigh10, Tonks15 and Cuthbert14. Probably prefer Heathcote to continue but will be good to see what Burleigh can do - he will be needed at some point so needs some gametime. Will need to wait until we get some wingers back before we can see his real intentions at who are our 10s and 15s, as I'm sure he would much prefer Cuthbert back at 15.

2. The main man still at 12. Granted, I think he certainly owes us a good few match winning man of the match displays (in a row)

3. Sutherland looked very good in pre-season and didn't seem to do much wrong in the A game last week.  Rest of the pack looks strong too with Grant + Gilchrist back on the pitch, hopefully sorting the line-out out. Coman looked to be finding his feet last week (I think) when I saw him, so ok with him coming in for now.

4. How is Dougie Fife, thought he just took a little knock but still no sign of a return??

Given our injury list before day 1 it is nice having this drip-feed of returning players to strengthen us week to week, especially with our run of games up to Christmas being the "easier" half of the season.  Just want to see parity at set pieces here, and giving ourselves a chance with 20 to go...

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:03 pm

I'm pleased with the pack, but really not excited by the backs. Hurly looks to be a good 12 (and much, much better than Strauss) yet he's thrown in a 10 - a position he himself says he has barely played.

Looks like the Tonks at 10 experiment has ended before it even got going, or maybe it is just due to the lack of wingers. We need Fife back ASAP.

7 out of the starting 15 NSQ.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:34 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Looks like the Payne at 13 experiment is wearing a bit thin, with yet another partner to gel with and two former ones on the bench.
It is wearing thin. Payne had a very quite game v Scarlets when paired with Olding, although he may have been carrying a knock. I would doubt that Ulster, or Ireland, are looking to have a settled centre pairing which excludes Olding though.
Thus far, one of Olding or Marshall, paired with Cave has proved the most effective centre partnership, with Ludik showing up really well. McCloskey has impressed me, and I'm looking forward to see how he performs v Embra. Payne...meh.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:36 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Looks like the Payne at 13 experiment is wearing a bit thin, with yet another partner to gel with and two former ones on the bench.

Its a strange one, Payne looked classy for the blues at 13 but looks lost for Ulster yet Ludik seems to have integrated easily at 13

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:36 pm

Ulster fans able to give me the lowdown on some of the following? Don't recognise them.

15. Louis Ludik
12. Stuart McCIoskey

1. Ruaidhri Murphy
3. Wiehahn Herbst
4. Alan O’Connor

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:57 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm pleased with the pack, but really not excited by the backs.  Hurly looks to be a good 12 (and much, much better than Strauss) yet he's thrown in a 10 - a position he himself says he has barely played.

Looks like the Tonks at 10 experiment has ended before it even got going, or maybe it is just due to the lack of wingers. We need Fife back ASAP.

I thought the new guy, Brett Thompson, was fit. If so, why isn't he playing? It's not like we've signed him to develop him. He's NSQ!

In my view Tonks is now pretty much ruled out as an option at 10 for the AIs, and given the form of Hogg and Murchie he's basically not going to feature for Scotland in these games. 10 was his opportunity to be fast tracked into the international set-up, and it looks like he's now 3rd choice at Edinburgh. He was supposed to have been given a shot at 10 this season, and that hasn't happened. I think this is a missed opportunity for Edinburgh and Scotland personally. Burleigh should be at 12, Tonks or Heathcote should be at 10, Cuthbert should be at 15 and Thompson (or an SQ academy prospect, or Farndale/Hoyland (of fit) or RDW) should be on the wing. How can the team possibly develop with the wrong players in the wrong positions!!!?

mad mad mad

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:59 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm pleased with the pack, but really not excited by the backs.  Hurly looks to be a good 12 (and much, much better than Strauss) yet he's thrown in a 10 - a position he himself says he has barely played.

I thought the new guy, Brett Thompson, was fit. If so, why isn't he playing? It's not like we've signed him to develop him. He's NSQ!

In my view Tonks is now pretty much ruled out as an option at 10 for the AIs, and given the form of Hogg and Murchie he's basically not going to feature for Scotland in these games. 10 was his opportunity to be fast tracked into the international set-up, and it looks like he's now 3rd choice at Edinburgh. He was supposed to have been given a shot at 10 this season, and that hasn't happened. I think this is a missed opportunity for Edinburgh and Scotland personally. Burleigh should be at 12, Tonks or Heathcote should be at 10, Cuthbert should be at 15 and Thompson (or an SQ academy prospect, or Farndale/Hoyland (of fit) or RDW) should be on the wing. How can the team possibly develop with the wrong players in the wrong positions!!!?

mad  mad  mad

I'm with you on that. Thompson played in both A games so it's hardly a ringing endorsement that he's not been picked.

I think Tonks' injury came at a bad time - he was supposed to be starting at 10 against Munster.  If he hadn't got injured (during the captain's run) he probably would have had a few games at 10 under his belt by now.  As it turns out, he's now stuck back at 15 even though he said himelf he was now a 10.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 3:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Ulster fans able to give me the lowdown on some of the following? Don't recognise them.

15. Louis Ludik
12. Stuart McCIoskey

1. Ruaidhri Murphy
3. Wiehahn Herbst
4. Alan O’Connor

RDW, here's my take on them as players.....

Louis Ludik has lived up to expectations and beyond and so far looks to be classy player who would well be taking the 15 shirt off Payne even if Payne wasn't vying for the 13 berth.
Stuart McCloskey is a unit and a half at inside centre, a player capable of the bosh through the middle approach but with added side step, great hands and rugby brain. He looks to be a fantastic prospect.
Ruaidhri Murphy has yet to really show us what he can do but he is certainly solid and has in the past shown to be a destructive loosehead. We shall see.
Weihann Herbst has more than filled the gap that Afoa left. His squat frame suits the current scrummaging laws perfectly and he doesn't go backwards. Rory Best reckons he's working amonst the best front row players he's ever been with right now.

Alan O'Connor I will have to leave up to some of my Ulster brothers I'm afraid.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 3:12 pm

The Payne experiment hasn't had a chance to take off as yet. He was injured fairly early on in the game against the Scarlets, in the first 10 minutes or so and hobbled through that game unseen. Our coaching staff need to be looking at his final year with the Blues in the superXV and what made him one of the competition's outstanding 13's in that season with him making many pundits' team of the season at that position. He was definately on fire that year but hasn't shown any of that ability in our outside centre berth. I hope we don't over-persist with the experiment if it becomes clear he's simply not going to fit and get him back to 15 where he tears lumps out of defences.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Oct 2014, 3:13 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Ulster fans able to give me the lowdown on some of the following? Don't recognise them.

15. Louis Ludik
12. Stuart McCIoskey

1. Ruaidhri Murphy
3. Wiehahn Herbst
4. Alan O’Connor

Louis Ludik has lived up to expectations and beyond and so far looks to be classy player who would well be taking the 15 shirt off Payne even if Payne wasn't vying for the 13 berth.
Stuart McCloskey is a unit and a half at inside centre, a player capable of the bosh through the middle approach but with added side step, great hands and rugby brain. He looks to be a fantastic prospect.
Ruaidhri Murphy has yet to really show us what he can do but he is certainly solid and has in the past shown to be a destructive loosehead. We shall see.
Weihann Herbst has more than filled the gap that Afoa left. His squat frame suits the current scrummaging laws perfectly and he doesn't go backwards. Rory Best reckons he's working amonst the best front row players he's ever been with right now.

Disappointing - I was hoping you'd say 'they're all crap'!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 3:19 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:

15. Louis Ludik
12. Stuart McCIoskey

1. Ruaidhri Murphy
3. Wiehahn Herbst
4. Alan O’Connor

Disappointing - I was hoping you'd say 'they're all crap'!

Alan O'Connor may be as I've no knowledge of him at all so it's not all doom and gloom for ya RDW Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next