The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anthony Joshua v Joseph Parker

+4
wheelchair1991
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
rapidringsroad
8 posters

Go down

Anthony Joshua v Joseph Parker Empty Anthony Joshua v Joseph Parker

Post by rapidringsroad Sun 28 Sep 2014, 10:04 pm

Two new comers on the heavyweight scene,both unbeaten but as yet untested.Joshua obviously with his Olympic success has the better background but Parker has Kevin Barry as his trainer who did wonders for Tua. Who do you think would come out on top if they met? I'll wait and see how Parker does against Sherman the tank Williams before I make any comment.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Anthony Joshua v Joseph Parker Empty Re: Anthony Joshua v Joseph Parker

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:40 pm

Can't say I've seen Parker fight yet, rapid, but I've heard some good stuff about him. Have you seen his fights yet - what do you make of him in terms of style, what he does well / badly etc?

Williams is a decent run out for any up and comer so if Parker can look good in getting through that it's a fight worth bearing in mind, I'd imagine.

When it comes to Joshua (and I imagine they've been doing the same in the Antipodes about Parker?) we've been complaining that all potential opponents outside of the top-line Heavies, which he's not ready for yet, are long in the tooth and lacking ambition these days, so a fight against someone like Parker would be a welcome break from the norm if they both keep winning over the next 12 months or so. Could be a similar kind of scenario to Groves-DeGale back in 2011, which was a good, brave and ambitious move by both of them at that stage - and that's what we want to see more of.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 3:06 pm

AJ will be champion for years....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm

...unless "Strictly." comes a-calling and he takes his eye off the ball which will leave the door open for Audley

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 3:25 pm

Ive read about Parker havent seen him as of yet though

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 30 Sep 2014, 12:23 am

Yeah, fast hands for a heavyweight, good jab, he's very young so he'll keep getting better. Only 22, don't want them to fight just yet, maybe in a year or two's time for me though. Very good to the body though Parker.

Him against an average journeyman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIeda3FBYlw

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Tue 30 Sep 2014, 3:51 am

Hi Chris,I've seen about five of Parker's fights and from what I've seen he could go far.His only opponent of note was Frans Botha who he stopped in a convincing fashion,much better than the so called New Zealand Heavy weight champion Sonny Bill who was hanging on to hold himself up at the end of his suddenly shortened fight. He's got an impressive left jab,moves nicely and and a fight finishing right when needed.He seems to be a more rounded package than Tua who was a bit one dimensional but you are only as good as your opponent lets you be so time will tell.The only time I've seen Joshua was on the undercard of the Froch Groves fight which told me nothing.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 30 Sep 2014, 9:38 am

Saw Parker once on some undercard, quite liked him, and just watched the fight on the link. Certainly has fast hands for a big man and a cracking jab. Looks good when he lets his hands go.

Be interesting to see him against someone firing back. He looks like he likes to come forward in straight lines and is prone to drop his right hand to throw it when he jabs. I'm no technical expert but I suspect a good counter puncher would test his whiskers. Of course the heavy division isn't loaded with good counterpuncher's and he's only 22, so a work in progress... definitely a good prospect.

Joshua a a bit bigger and seemingly stronger, some defensive queries on him too and obviously the as yet unanswered question of how that physique holds up into the later rounds.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Thu 16 Oct 2014, 9:14 pm

Well both fighters have come through their latest bouts with impressive results,Joshua with an early stoppage and Parker with a unanimous one sided decision.Joshua's height and weight advantage are going to be a big help in going far.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 17 Oct 2014, 7:08 am

I think Parkers height could be his limitation, he's 6ft 2, which puts him in a similar position to haye.band he doesn't seem as explosive as haye has been. He will probably come up short (nice) against the shoe heavys, whereas josh is likely the next generation.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:21 am

Good attributes but quite open on the back foot. I especially don't like the way he push's opponents away with two arms outstreched. It works for K2 but Parker, at 6"2', will get punished by someone with similar reach and a bit know how.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 17 Oct 2014, 1:07 pm

... They had him at 6'2 on hbo I think but he's listed at 6'4 elsewhere. .. So who knows. He comes in a good stone heavier than haye and doesn't carry much fat. Not the biggest by today's standards but no cruiser either.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 17 Oct 2014, 1:55 pm

If he's 6"4' he might get away with it; but I think its a silly tactic, regardless. Simply slip outside those outstreched arms, move the feet in...and boom overhand right!

I'm 100% certain Joshua is capable of that.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 17 Oct 2014, 2:21 pm

Hey fingers, you're the technician, I made my layman's technical critique, that he'd be open to a counter left hook earlier in the thread Laugh

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down