The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby World Most Influential People List

+7
andyi
beshocked
profitius
BigTrevsbigmac
Biltong
Sin é
Poorfour
11 posters

Go down

Rugby World Most Influential People List Empty Rugby World Most Influential People List

Post by Poorfour Sat 09 Aug 2014, 1:24 pm

Interesting list in this month's edition. There is some utter tosh, particularly in the sequencing of the list, but what's really interesting is a couple of entries that shed light on two big debates from last season.

There's an interview with Joel Jutge where he sets out the reasoning and detail of the collision in the air clarification - which makes it very clear that Jared Payne's red was totally consistent with the new intent.

Secondly, there's an article on McCafferty (and also shorter pieces on Ritchie and Beaumont) that sheds some light on the European cup wranglings. I have to caveat that it's written by Stephen Jones, so you need to take it with a pinch of salt, but I found it a helpful insider perspective on what happened and the reasons behind it.

Only got a paper copy, so can't post the text, but would be interested in other people's reactions
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Most Influential People List Empty Re: Rugby World Most Influential People List

Post by Sin é Sat 09 Aug 2014, 8:47 pm

I saw the listing and nearly fell around the place laughing. The most powerful person in rugby is the President of the IRB, Bernard Lapassat (who for instance, would have appointed another Frenchman, Joel Jutge over the refs) - not Mark McCafferty or Richie.

Commerically, the most influencial person is John Feehan, CEO of the Six Nations Company (turnover 90m per annum) for 16 games. He is also CEO of the Lions, another money making machine.

No disrespect to Brian O'Driscoll, but the only reason why I can figure that he is No. 5 in the list is because he has recently got a job as a pundit for BT Sport whom the Rugby Paper has been spinning for all year.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Most Influential People List Empty Re: Rugby World Most Influential People List

Post by Biltong Sat 09 Aug 2014, 9:40 pm

Link?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 09 Aug 2014, 9:47 pm

Just an article in Irish papers.

BOD ‘still one of the most influential names in world rugby’
Former Ireland skipper still one of the biggest names in the sport
Duncan Bech

Published 05/08/2014 | 11:28

He might have quit playing at the end of last season but Brian O’Driscoll is still one of the most influential figures in world rugby. The former Ireland and Leinster centre has come fifth in a list of the most influential people involved in world rugby, according to Rugby World magazine.

Over the course of a stellar career, O’Driscoll played a record 141 test matches – 133 times for Ireland and 8 times for the Lions over four tours. He also scored 46 tries for Ireland is the eighth highest try scorer in international rugby history.

Premiership Rugby chief executive Mark McCafferty has been voted the sport's most influential figure after leading a successful campaign to overhaul European club competition.

McCafferty tops a list of 50 power brokers in the latest issue of Rugby World magazine as reward for being the driving force behind establishing the Champions Cup, successor to the Heineken Cup.

The club game now has far greater autonomy, secured at the expense of the unions after a fierce two-year dispute that saw McCafferty hold his nerve despite coming under heavy criticism.

The top three of the list is completed by International Rugby Board referees manager Joel Jutge in second place and Rugby Football Union chief executive Ian Ritchie in third.

England head coach Stuart Lancaster features in 10th place with New Zealand's Steve Hansen the highest-placed manager, claiming fourth.
advertisement

The best performing player is Brian O'Driscoll in fifth - although the former Ireland captain retired at the end of last season - with Jonny Wilkinson in eighth.

Of those still playing the game, All Blacks skipper Richie McCaw is ranked highest at 13th.

Top 10: 1 Mark McCafferty, 2 Joel Jutge, 3 Ian Ritchie, 4 Steve Hansen, 5 Brian O'Driscoll, 6 Agustin Pichot, 7 Eric Bale, 8 Jonny Wilkinson, 9 Brett Gosper, 10 Stuart Lancaster.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/bod-still-one-of-the-most-influential-names-in-world-rugby-30484486.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 09 Aug 2014, 11:09 pm

It's a justified vote - whether you agree with what McaCfferty has done or not he, has certainly been at the forefront of pushing through the most changes to the biggest club cup competition in the world.

There may arguably be others in more 'important' powerful positions but that wasn't the poll

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 10 Aug 2014, 11:35 am

In this poll, who voted?

And can anyone how Brian O'Driscoll is the 5th most influential person in world rugby (ahead of Brett Gosper, IRB CEO?)

Edit: I just checked - apparently its Rugby World's List:

FEATURES

The 50 Influential – We reveal our list of the 50 Most Influential People in Rugby right now, including interviews with some of the big names and verdicts from stars on others who’ve made the cut

Read more at http://www.rugbyworld.com/publication/rugby-world/september-2014/#pOyVoWwGLE6JzRwX.99

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:35 pm

Poorfour wrote:Interesting list in this month's edition. There is some utter tosh, particularly in the sequencing of the list, but what's really interesting is a couple of entries that shed light on two big debates from last season.

There's an interview with Joel Jutge where he sets out the reasoning and detail of the collision in the air clarification - which makes it very clear that Jared Payne's red was totally consistent with the new intent.

Secondly, there's an article on McCafferty (and also shorter pieces on Ritchie and Beaumont) that sheds some light on the European cup wranglings. I have to caveat that it's written by Stephen Jones, so you need to take it with a pinch of salt, but I found it a helpful insider perspective on what happened and the reasons behind it.

Only got a paper copy, so can't post the text, but would be interested in other people's reactions

Shocking to see some people still take that man seriously.  Shocked 
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 11 Aug 2014, 9:32 am

I think BOD warrants a place - after all he is a deity in Ireland. He's been the face of Irish rugby for a long time. One of the biggest brand ambassadors of rugby.

Oh and I am sure that BOD is more well known than whoever is the IRB CEO.

It's the same reason Sir Jonny is on the list. Though I would probably swap him and BOD around as Sir Jonny is a deity in two countries not just one and he's hot property after helping Toulon to the double.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Mon 11 Aug 2014, 11:33 am

profitius wrote:
Poorfour wrote:Interesting list in this month's edition. There is some utter tosh, particularly in the sequencing of the list, but what's really interesting is a couple of entries that shed light on two big debates from last season.

He's an absolute man sausage who can barely stand up due to the chips on each shoulder (RL) and (Everything to do with NZ)

He makes Jeremy Clarkson sound like a philosopher.

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Mon 11 Aug 2014, 11:34 am

I don't get how BOD or RItchie are very influential though, they both are faces of certain organizations, but they are paid by a boss making the decisions to employ them.

What about international rugby could BOD change if he wanted to, what about Irish rugby could BOD change? I would've thought the answer would be nothing but what makeup he wears for the ad campaigns.

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 11 Aug 2014, 11:54 am

andyi wrote:
profitius wrote:

He's an absolute man sausage who can barely stand up due to the chips on each shoulder (RL) and (Everything to do with NZ)

He makes Jeremy Clarkson sound like a philosopher.

Let's not forget he was also a big advocate of the Noon/Tindall centre partnership, so at least he knows his rugby.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 11 Aug 2014, 12:28 pm

I'm surprised Stephen Jones didn't make it onto his own list Wink

I'm not sure what they mean by influential, especially with players/ex-players. I suppose it could be in terms of being a role-model and encouraging kids to take up rugby. That's certainly been the case with legends like Jonny, McCaw and BOD and probably a lot more important for the long-term future of the sport than some suit brokering deals that will be re-negotiated in the future anyway.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Mon 11 Aug 2014, 12:37 pm

Cyril wrote:I'm surprised Stephen Jones didn't make it onto his own list Wink

I'm not sure what they mean by influential, especially with players/ex-players. I suppose it could be in terms of being a role-model and encouraging kids to take up rugby. That's certainly been the case with legends like Jonny, McCaw and BOD and probably a lot more important for the long-term future of the sport than some suit brokering deals that will be re-negotiated in the future anyway.

Good point actually  thumbsup 

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 11 Aug 2014, 1:00 pm

It taken on the last 12 months then those two players probably were influential but it depends on what you mean by influential. For BOD, every game for the last year (even 2 years) has been billed as his final club/international/6N game at 'insert stadium name here'. He was the face for a significant portion of rugby promotions for the year and a clear media attention draw. Similar for Jonny with his final season, final Top14 and final HCup he is the face of one of the most dominant club teams assembled.

But does either influence the rules, the structures... very little if any. But what they were in the last 12 months were key promotional characters in many marketing campaigns and that seems to be deemed 'influential' in the RW list.

Influence follows control, ultimate control is the person with their hand on the purse strings. So the senior heads in the PRL and LNR would top the list as they both control their respective Unions, which I believe effectively happened in these last 12 months. I wouldn't have anyone from the RFU or french union towards the top of the list as all decisions by either of those two unions in the future will only happen with the agreement of the PRL and LNR respective (so that is where the control will be). In the SH, the senior heads in NZ control the strongest brand in Union while South African should not be underestimated as they have a significant captive market.

Out of curiosity, considering the size of TV deals, should there be names of people in BT Sport/Sky/Canal+(or other french tv stations) towards the top of the list? There is significant influence there but we probably don't know their exact names to mention them.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 11 Aug 2014, 1:03 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Influence follows control, ultimate control is the person with their hand on the purse strings.  So the senior heads in the PRL and LNR would top the list as they both control their respective Unions, which I believe effectively happened in these last 12 months.  I wouldn't have anyone from the RFU or french union towards the top of the list as all decisions by either of those two unions in the future will only happen with the agreement of the PRL and LNR respective (so that is where the control will be). In the SH, the senior heads in NZ control the strongest brand in Union while South African should not be underestimated as they have a significant captive market.

so are we allowed to just make stuff up then? In that case I think Shane Williams is the most influencial as he actually makes ALL rugby decisions AND controls the media. He's not even in Japan, that was clone that was sent over as a cover. He actual lives in Dan-yr-Ogof caves

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 11 Aug 2014, 2:11 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
thebandwagonsociety wrote:Influence follows control, ultimate control is the person with their hand on the purse strings.  So the senior heads in the PRL and LNR would top the list as they both control their respective Unions, which I believe effectively happened in these last 12 months.  I wouldn't have anyone from the RFU or french union towards the top of the list as all decisions by either of those two unions in the future will only happen with the agreement of the PRL and LNR respective (so that is where the control will be). In the SH, the senior heads in NZ control the strongest brand in Union while South African should not be underestimated as they have a significant captive market.

so are we allowed to just make stuff up then? In that case I think Shane Williams is the most influencial as he actually makes ALL rugby decisions AND controls the media. He's not even in Japan, that was clone that was sent over as a cover. He actual lives in Dan-yr-Ogof caves

I do honestly believe that we have past a point where the RFU will be able to make key decisions without the approval of the PRL body. The senior heads in the PRL are the most influential people in English rugby by quite some margin.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 11 Aug 2014, 4:59 pm

I know you believe it. You've said you believe it. Doesn't mean it's true by any stretch of the imagination. Some people seem completely unable to accept that all unions don't agree with them. They can't percieve of a world where the RFU might agree with the PRL on this. Therefore they create worlds in their own head to believe in. Personally I'd make it a bit more exciting (hence the SW bit) but whatever floats your boat.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 11 Aug 2014, 6:03 pm

Whatever about the PRL/RFU (though I'd imagine the relationship will change once the world cup is over), the FFR can shut the LNR down if they have a mind to ... and lets not forget, it was the French who wanted to move the Champions cup to Switzerland, not anyone else.

By the way, Goze of LNR has said that the reserve figure (think it was 27m) was not reached for the French media rights for new Euro Champs Cup, so that is why they haven't been sold. I presume they will have to send them out for tender again, reducing the reserve price.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 11 Aug 2014, 6:23 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:I know you believe it. You've said you believe it. Doesn't mean it's true by any stretch of the imagination. Some people seem completely unable to accept that all unions don't agree with them. They can't percieve of a world where the RFU might agree with the PRL on this. Therefore they create worlds in their own head to believe in. Personally I'd make it a bit more exciting (hence the SW bit) but whatever floats your boat.

I'm quite sure the RFU and PRL agree on a vast number of items. I'd argue where they might disagree that the PRL now has more influence over the RFU than the RFU would have over the PRL. But I must be creating an imaginery world in my head to believe any of this according to you.  warning 

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 11 Aug 2014, 8:09 pm

Aye, sorry. Got a cob on and snapped. Sorry for being a knob

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Mon 11 Aug 2014, 8:56 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:I know you believe it. You've said you believe it. Doesn't mean it's true by any stretch of the imagination. Some people seem completely unable to accept that all unions don't agree with them. They can't percieve of a world where the RFU might agree with the PRL on this. Therefore they create worlds in their own head to believe in. Personally I'd make it a bit more exciting (hence the SW bit) but whatever floats your boat.

I'm quite sure the RFU and PRL agree on a vast number of items. I'd argue where they might disagree that the PRL now has more influence over the RFU than the RFU would have over the PRL. But I must be creating an imaginery world in my head to believe any of this according to you.   warning 

Bandwagon

I have to agree with you, someone above mentioned the RWC 2015, I imagine the PRL will play nice until then, but in reality the PRL have just performed a power grab fromthe RFU and celtic nations, what is it they need from the RFU? except for those big juicy international paydays!

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 13 Aug 2014, 9:55 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Aye, sorry. Got a cob on and snapped. Sorry for being a knob

No worries Hammer, just shows you're passionate about your sport.  Hug 

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 13 Aug 2014, 12:51 pm

The power grab, such as it was, happened about 15 years ago when the RFU didn't sign up the players as professionals or set up a franchise model, and the English clubs took the initiative.

The changes in European club competition are just aligning the competition structure and revenue with the cost base and ownership model.

However, unlike in soccer, I think the clubs recognise the importance of international rugby, so a balance between the RFU and PRL is likely to be maintained even after the RWC - unless the RFU can't reach a compromise with the clubs over the disruption from the RWC itself.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 13 Aug 2014, 1:19 pm

I think it helps that Lancaster seems to have a pretty good relationship (on the whole) with the clubs and he's very diplomatic and savvy in that area.

There are some coaches who wouldn't be able to resist voicing any frustrations to the media but Lancaster is pretty sensible in that regard.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 13 Aug 2014, 1:47 pm

I get the sense that players go off to train and play for Lancaster and return back to their clubs better for the experience. Lancaster isn't one for posturing or grandstanding either so doesn't give the medjia the opportunity to 'talk' about rifts. Long may it continue I suppose.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down