The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wladimir Klitschko to defend belts against Kubrat Pulev in September

+6
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
Mr Bounce
hampo17
bhb001
10 posters

Go down

Wladimir Klitschko to defend belts against Kubrat Pulev in September Empty Wladimir Klitschko to defend belts against Kubrat Pulev in September

Post by bhb001 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:49 pm

Link to BBC web site: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/27926698

Thoughts on this one? Another easy, hand-picked defence, best choice of a bad bunch or mandatory so deserves the chance? Honestly, i have no thoughts either way, which is why I am asking this austere group.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Wladimir Klitschko to defend belts against Kubrat Pulev in September Empty Re: Wladimir Klitschko to defend belts against Kubrat Pulev in September

Post by hampo17 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:51 pm

He's a mandatory so he has earned his shot, decent fighter not good enough to beat Wlad though.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wladimir Klitschko to defend belts against Kubrat Pulev in September Empty Re: Wladimir Klitschko to defend belts against Kubrat Pulev in September

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:59 pm

"Thoughts on this one?"

Most likely a jab, jab, jab, grab, jab, lean, push, lean, hold, grab, push, jab, right hand, lean, hold extravaganza!

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 24 Jun 2014, 1:24 pm

He is mandatory so has to be accommodated. Has beaten Thompson and Abell, guess in this day and age that constitutes being qualified. Has not got the proverbial cat in hells chance, but suspect that is true of most heavies out there when it comes to Wlad.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 1:29 pm

Funny one isn't it.................In one respect it's great to have a Heavyweight champion who respects the prize....has genuine class and Is a decent human being....

In the other respect Boxing just doesn't get the chance to move on and remains in a malaise while this guy hangs around..

Wlad you've earned sack loads of dollars...You are top twenty but I'm afraid your legacy is set in stone Mate and can't be improved..

You'll be doing Boxing a great service by p**sing off.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 24 Jun 2014, 1:35 pm

Should also not be forgotten he does things right as well Truss. Fights his mandatories pretty much without fail. Can argue he profits from the governing bodies frequent ability to install the truly terrible as mandatory, but hardly Wlad’s fault they do this.

I am conflicted about whether I want him to carry on or not. Got to be honest and say I find little to set the pulse raising in his style of fighting, much as I admire its effectiveness and his ability to stick to what works for him. However, suspect we all know that if Wlad exits stage left all we are going to have left is a bunch of fat slobs playing pass the parcel with the title. Whilst it may be fun is pretty ignominious for what is meant to be the pinnacle of our sport.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 1:38 pm

I'd prefer four champs of the same standard..............Rowley.

I hate alphabet soup but at least we may get some intriguing battles..

Heavy division and Boxing is synergetic .....If it's strong it filters down to the rest of the weights..

Boxing may get going again..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 1:50 pm

In fariness, though it's not saying much, Pulev is just about the stand out challenger to Wlad right now, the possible exception of Stiverne aside. Expect Wlad to have a bit too much of everything for him but it is at least a reasonable fight on paper, something which Lepai, mandatory or not, definitely wasn't.

After this, though, there really are only two possible fights I want to see Wladimir in, and if he can't get or make either of them then I'd desperately hope he retires. One is the winner of Stiverne / Wilder, if or when it happens, and the other would be Fury if he earns WBO mandatory status by beating Chisora. No matter what we think of Wilder and Fury, the fact remains that the pair of them are likely to remain amongst the major players in the division for a good few years yet, unless a great, super-talented and young Heavyweight emerges out of nowhere in the next couple of years or so. Wlad's era hasn't been great, but if he could leave a reminder for future followers and score a win over a man likely to pick up straps in the years to come, then it'd look pretty decent on his record.

I guess Wilder would be the best of the lot if he can beat Stiverne, because the fight would be a genuine risk for Wlad given his fragile whiskers, and it'd be a win that the Americans, who still feel as though it's owed to them that the division is ruled by one of their own, couldn't ignore. But if neither fight is on the cards within the next six-eight months or so, then I really don't see what appeal fighting on would hold for Wladimir. I think we'd all stay up for Wlad against Wilder or Fury, or even Stiverne if he beats Wilder. What other potential Heavyweight clash would we be bothered about?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:23 pm

All good points. I agree that as a mandatory he should get his chance, but as has been pointed out, the standard of some mandatories has been woeful recently. I also agree that he does need to take on one of the two or three you have mentioned to stay credible; otherwise he may as well retire for all the good he is doing. But do we want to see lots of mediocre fighters as oppose to one pretty good one! Mind you, should Chisora beat Fury, I wouldn't be at the front of pack saying he deserves a shot a Wlad!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:27 pm

This is the issue BHB, think it is fair to say, thus far none of the chasing pack have clearly established themselves as a definitive best of the rest. My own view is, even if it is grudgingly, that when such a guy does emerge, be it Haye or Povetkin, Wlad’s record at dealing with the is not too shabby. Time will tell, but personally I feel if one of Stiverne, Fury Wilder or Chisora is able to establish themselves as the best of that pack or build up enough of a groundswell of public support, they will get their chance.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 24 Jun 2014, 10:45 pm

Grabimir Klinchko

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 25 Jun 2014, 9:41 am

Pulev is his number one contender (as per TBRB):

1 Kubrat Pulev
2 Alexander Povetkin
3 Tyson Fury
4 Bermane Stiverne
5 Carlos Takam
6 Vyacheslav Glazkov
7 Deontay Wilder
8 Dereck Chisora
9 Tomasz Adamek
10 Tony Thompson

He can't do any more other than, you know, stop fighting like a gutless pudding.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 25 Jun 2014, 9:47 am

Another Dr Stinko masterclass of jab and grab methinks.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 25 Jun 2014, 9:54 am

hazharrison wrote:Pulev is his number one contender (as per TBRB):

1 Kubrat Pulev
2 Alexander Povetkin
3 Tyson Fury
4 Bermane Stiverne
5 Carlos Takam
6 Vyacheslav Glazkov
7 Deontay Wilder
8 Dereck Chisora
9 Tomasz Adamek
10 Tony Thompson

He can't do any more other than, you know, stop fighting like a gutless pudding.

For being a pretty fair representation of the top ten HW boxers on the planet (which it is in my opinion), that really is a pretty sorry looking list of athletes.

Ah well, Pulev deserves the shot just now. The winner of Stiverne vs Wilder (hopefully his next fight) will be more intriguing. After that we're pretty much scuppered......unless we're counting Fury as a challenge?

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down