The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there any legal way I can watch ERC, rabo and english premiership without paying for Sky and/or BT?

+17
Breadvan
Feckless Rogue
Sgt_Pooly
HammerofThunor
clivemcl
Cardiff Dave
ScarletSpiderman
Irish Londoner
geoff998rugby
pledgeX
TJ
nathan
kingjohn7
munkian
formerly known as Sam
justified sinner
littlejohn
21 posters

Go down

Is there any legal way I can watch ERC, rabo and english premiership without paying for Sky and/or  BT? Empty Is there any legal way I can watch ERC, rabo and english premiership without paying for Sky and/or BT?

Post by littlejohn Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:59 pm

I love my rugby but if anything the money making machines are making it harder than ever to pay for subscription tv that benefits me the consumer. I am interested in multiple teams and competitions and the only way to watch all the games I want to (ERC and rabo - leinster, ulster, muster), premiership (london irish), super 15 - any top billing game, rugby championship and 6 nations.

If I wanted to see all I'd need the full sports package with sky as they flick betwee sp1,2,3 and BT sports. This will cost me a fortune and its not worth, esp when I feel a large portion is going into the pockets of footballers not rugny players. Does anyone know of a sports package where I can pay for legally streamed or a package that is decent value?

And while I do go occasionally to games my kids are just too young to justify a season ticket for the next couple years..

Advice welcomed as always

Ps I'm based in the UK.

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Is there any legal way I can watch ERC, rabo and english premiership without paying for Sky and/or  BT? Empty Re: Is there any legal way I can watch ERC, rabo and english premiership without paying for Sky and/or BT?

Post by justified sinner Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:26 pm

I watch most of it in the pub.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Is there any legal way I can watch ERC, rabo and english premiership without paying for Sky and/or  BT? Empty Re: Is there any legal way I can watch ERC, rabo and english premiership without paying for Sky and/or BT?

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:30 pm

BT sport is generally free with any BT package or was when I switched. Switch your broadband and you'll be sorted. AP and HEC games. Wath any sky games in the pub.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:37 pm

BT sport is free with Virgin media TV too. No 'legal' way of getting sky free.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 10:16 pm

Its bullsht mate. Pub is an option but basically gonna cost you same or more in beers plus sometimes you want to watch at home. Only prob with watching illegally is quality is pretty average, but dont think you should feel morally bad about doing so from time to time (I do a fair mix of watching sky at home going to pubs, going to games and streaming) because these people are just ripping you off. BT sport is "free" with broadband but is also the most expensive broadband. I didnt realise you got it with virgin media, that seems decent.
Maybe you could team up with a mate, 1 of u gets sky sports other gets BT then you can use each others online account?
What we need is a rugby channel with ALL rugby for say £20 a month. Dont they have this in S hemisphere?

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 10 Jun 2014, 10:32 pm

Not being funny, but do you expect it for free?

Is £10 a month for 6 months and then £16 for unlimited ADSL 2+ really that expensive? Or £23 a month for 40mb fibre unlimited.

I really don't get this idea that the it's expensive? Sharing online accounts would also be illegal.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:02 pm

How would that get him free Sky Sports ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:12 pm

To have Sky sports is about£45 a month, plus then paying another £20 for BT. Yes I do think that is too expensive. Especially as most of what you get is cack and there is plenty of adverts which also means they are making even more money out of you. I didnt know sharing online accounts was illegal, well he could go over to each others house and watch their package(until that becomes illegal or you have to pay extra if anyone bar account holder watches the tv)

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:22 pm

Think BT + pub + going to some ERC games is only sensible option. Cant justify sky sports. Feic old pubs show super 15 though. The non legal routes are not great streaming wise.

Would love to see someone put together a rugby channel in europe that we could subscribe to. I'd pay 20 a month for that....

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:38 pm

Why not just use pirate feeds - not illegal in any way to watch them and only a civil wrong not criminal to stream them

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by pledgeX Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:26 am

I share your pain. I'm willing to pay for BT or Sky, but not both.

If you don't mind watching the matches a few hours later (sometimes the next day), you can watch all the Aviva premiership matches (highlights and full match) here: http://www.premiershiprugby.tv/

pledgeX

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:26 am

Buy one - go to the pub for the other

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:34 am

I've just got the Virgin "HD whistles and bells super de dooper package" which includes BT and Sky Sports in HD for £62 a month for 12 months, also gives high speed broadband, another 150 channels that I don't need, TIVO, landline, etc. was cheaper than anything Sky or BT could offer for a similar package.
There are some good offers out there if you dig around and play hardball when you are on the phone - whatever you get offered tell them the opposition will do the same or better for less.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:35 am

The other one to do, if you have a mate/family member into rugby, you get BT and they get Sky, then go to each others place to watch the games. That is what me and my Dad did last season.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:36 am

Oh, please for legal reasons do not post any links or information about places where illegal streaming/viewing of games can be obtained, otherwise this thread will be shutdown. Cheers
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:38 am

London Irisher - Virgin are gits, (like NTL used to be too), down in the wild west of Pembs you can't get their service, but then they are constantly running ads on TV letting us know what we are not able to have grrrr.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:58 am

Alternatively rediscover the radio, tune in and use your imagination. Better commentary too.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:52 am

Alternatively and more benefical to your local sporting economy get your local rugby club to get BT Sport/Sky in the bar and then you get to see the games, usually cheaper beer and the money goes back into the club!

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:03 am

As a rugby lover who doesn’t watch any other sport, I’d happily pay per view on certain matches. £2 per game or something. Do Sky etc worry that this would lead to fewer subscribers though?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:10 pm

clivemcl wrote:As a rugby lover who doesn’t watch any other sport, I’d happily pay per view on certain matches. £2 per game or something. Do Sky etc worry that this would lead to fewer subscribers though?

You can get a day pass for Sky sports (is it NowTV or something), not too sure how much it is mind.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:22 pm

Tenner. I was tempted for the4 internationals on saturday past. Bit much for one game. Unless maybe a knock out game. Id maybe pay a tenner for that.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 11 Jun 2014, 2:22 pm

You used to have to give a months notice to cancel Sky sports. I've had it for a month in the summer for the tour games and cancelled it the day I got it. can't remember how much extra it is for the sports...£18? For 3-4 games I really want to see and a few more.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:52 pm

munkian wrote:How would that get him free Sky Sports ?

it was in reply to his last post which was talking about BT Sport only.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:59 pm

Some more info for "cheaper" deals.

Sky have some good cash back options running at the minute.

The Original Bundle with Sports - £145 cashback at Quidco/£141.40 TCB

Quidco:Minus £145 cashback and £75 gift card = £171.50/year = £14.29/month
TCB: Minus £141.40 cashback and £75 gift card = £175.10/year = £14.59/month

You could also get the cheapest BT broadband connection and have BT Sport added to your sky box for free.

BT Broadband - Up to 16mb - 10GB Cap - £7.50 for 6 months then £10 per month - £105 for the year
You would need to have BT line rental with this - yearly saver - £160
Sainsburys £100 gift card

Minus £100 giftcard = £160/1 year = £13.33

Combined package of TV (inc Sky Sports and BT Sport), Broadband, Phone = £28 per month

Think i've worked that out right. This is only first year costs.

I think Sky are now doing day passes for sports that you can access on Now TV.

Last edited by nathan on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:07 pm

There is always a way Wink

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:08 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:There is always a way Wink

there is indeed Wink

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:11 pm

How much do you pay Nathan? I'm at £30 a year all in but have heard of £20

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:14 pm

I don't know what you mean, i'm not allowed to talk about it on here!

On a more legal note, i watch tv through XBMC and TVheadend running on a little Intel NUC. Great little setup.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:11 pm

For NBA fans there's a great app for your tablet or Xbox or whatever called NBA game time. For a monthly subscription you can watch every game live or watch back at any time if you've missed one. It also has highlights of all the games and all that jazz. It would be great if there was something similar for rugby, encompassing all the big tournaments in both hemisphere's.

Although it probably wouldn't help old farts like my Dad who can't work anything that was invented after 1983.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 12 Jun 2014, 7:51 am

I wouldn't worry about the legallity of streaming feckless. The FBI are hardly going to kick the front door in. If the big broadcasters are so worried, why are there so many streaming sites still online? I just make sure my virus protection is up to date. Its only one less ivory back scratcher for the execs....
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu 12 Jun 2014, 10:49 am

Breadvan wrote:I wouldn't worry about the legallity of streaming feckless. The FBI are hardly going to kick the front door in. If the big broadcasters are so worried, why are there so many streaming sites still online? I just make sure my virus protection is up to date. Its only one less ivory back scratcher for the execs....

The big broadcasters are worried, Sky have just released new encryption for their HD channels which has blocked the card sharing scene.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:05 pm

On a side question does anyone know how sky's 30 match deal with the pro 12 will affect the others TV schedules for the Pro 12. I know I have been spoilt with S4C and BBC Wales but I'm kind of hoping they wont be affected to much. I'm assuming because RTE are out of the running they must mostly have the Irish games & Scottish games providing BBC Alba does not have the coverage on those next year. Anyone know as I can find anything on it yet?

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:26 pm

Have they (BBC) resigned yet? Last I had heard BBCW hadn't at least, not sure about NI and Alba. Probably won't until the Regions sign the PA.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Thu 12 Jun 2014, 10:42 pm

Find a friend (or 2) who have Sky/BT. Simple. Might cost a bit in Take aways &/or beer

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:34 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Have they (BBC) resigned yet? Last I had heard BBCW hadn't at least, not sure about NI and Alba. Probably won't until the Regions sign the PA.

Just thinking wasn't there some stuff about scrum V possibly being axed (mentioned a few years back) due to BBC 's push for HD programming.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:51 pm

Scrum V in HD!!
vomit

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by SBasco Tue 01 Jul 2014, 4:52 pm

There's no legal way of doing it bro. You either pay for the subscription, or go to the pub and pay for the beers

SBasco

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down