The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch/Groves on Ringside

+14
Hammersmith harrier
AlexHuckerby
KingMonkey
catchweight
Izzi
TRUSSMAN66
Seanusarrilius
Strongback
Elpondo
Dipper Brown
John Bloody Wayne
milkyboy
RanjitPatel
hampo17
18 posters

Go down

Froch/Groves on Ringside Empty Froch/Groves on Ringside

Post by hampo17 Thu 01 May 2014, 6:54 pm

Has anyone watched this? Froch looked a lot calmer than the first time around, still think Groves is inside his head but that's more down to Froch's insecurities.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Froch/Groves on Ringside Empty Re: Froch/Groves on Ringside

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 01 May 2014, 7:27 pm

Froch looked cooler but it also looked like he's trying his best to stay calm and not get flustered or show too much emotion in Groves company.
More than less admitted that he paid too much attention to what Groves said before the first fight so he's probably worked out or been told that not showing annoyance is the best way to go.
Plenty of time for Groves to wind him up yet though.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 01 May 2014, 7:34 pm

Carl the contradiction froch. So did you take George too lightly... Or want to smash him up too much?

Froch will be saying whatever he/his team have decided was the best excuse for last time. He just doesn't seem too sure what that is. Have they mentioned the bad camp last time yet?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 01 May 2014, 7:39 pm

Hmmmmm

Groves was blinking at a more frequent rate

Bad sign, he's getting taken apart

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 01 May 2014, 7:43 pm

Thank god their styles match so well and there's such a hangover from the first fight because their 'trash talk' today was awful! I don't think they sold the fight to anyone who isn't already invested in it off the back of that appearance.

Boring!!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 01 May 2014, 7:47 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Hmmmmm

Groves was blinking at a more frequent rate

Bad sign, he's getting taken apart

You saw nervous blinking? He was winking at the totty behind the cameraman... A clear sign he's relaxed and going to hunt froch down like a rabid dog

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 01 May 2014, 8:13 pm

Froch scratched his elbow once. If you don't understand the connotations surrounding then sir, you have no business analysing body language. Stick to primary school english, plebeian.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Elpondo Thu 01 May 2014, 8:48 pm

Froch's tongue was licking his lip on the left of his mouth, this is a subconscious act that very

Elpondo

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 01 May 2014, 8:58 pm

milkyboy wrote:Carl the contradiction froch. So did you take George too lightly... Or want to smash him up too much?

Froch will be saying whatever he/his team have decided was the best excuse for last time. He just doesn't seem too sure what that is. Have they mentioned the bad camp last time yet?

There was heavy smog in London and his left nostril was working overtime.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 02 May 2014, 12:12 am

Just put this on. First thought: no need for an audience.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 02 May 2014, 12:21 am

Second point: Nelson and Smith ask some stupid fing questions.

'Carl, would you say that wasn't your best performance as world champ?'

For god sake, Nelson

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 02 May 2014, 12:46 am

I also think that Hearn is getting fed up with Groves.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 02 May 2014, 9:30 am

Complimenting Groves and sitting there like a turkey as Groves belittles him...

Froch better win or he'll look like a right Jessy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 May 2014, 9:50 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Complimenting Groves and sitting there like a turkey as Groves belittles him...

Froch better win or he'll look like a right Jessy..
Froch knows he lost a lot of fans last November so he's mindful of not wanting to alienate a load of people he may need to come see him on the after dinner speaking circuit once he's hung up his gloves.

I said on your "How should Froch deal with Groves pre-fight" thread that Carl should just stay quiet as he's out of his depth with the TV stuff. Froch clearly reads this forum so my next bit of advice would be for Carl to PM me with naked photos of his good lady, Rachel. I think this would be of great benefit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri 02 May 2014, 10:49 am

Groves is out psyching himself. It's all over before it's even begun. Expunging more nervous energy than a solitary female rabbit who's mistakenly been put in a pen with male rabbits during mating season.

Groves gets splattered inside 4.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 02 May 2014, 10:56 am

If the female rabbit is like some of Dave's ex girlfriends..She'll be in her element.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 02 May 2014, 11:27 am

Groves and Hearn definately dont like each other. Something must have happened between the pair of them in the past. I wonder was Hearn involved in the separation Groves and Booth. I dont think Hearn likes having to deal with (or pay) another manager. Frampton was in a similar position but opted to keep McGuigan and leave. I wonder did Groves getting his title shot depend on having to ditch Booth or something like that. Its been strange how despite legal issues there doesnt seem to be any real animosity between Groves and Booth and Groves has really gone out of his way not to sign up with Hearn long term at a time when it would seem to make the most sense for him. You can tell Groves and Hearn dont get on.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 02 May 2014, 12:15 pm

Yeah, agree that Hearn and Groves don't look as though they get on but that's Groves for you. Everyone else bends over backwards to kiss Hearn's backside and get on Sky but Groves is so confident of himself he believes that he really doesn't have to. And he's right!!

The promoter should work for the boxer but that's hardly ever the case.

Fwiw, last night was the first time I have doubted GG. Froch handled it all pretty well but inside was a man struggling with himself. Despite that I think Groves was a bit rattled that he wasn't obviously getting to him.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 02 May 2014, 11:09 pm

Just watching the repeat. Irrespective of who is or isn't winning the mind games, I think froch has handled himself pretty well. He's admitted the stoppage was early, been fairly honest about how the fight went, given groves some credit. He's come across as the reasonable one.

Groves is trying to get under his skin again, but he's already there. If he goes on like this for the next month, a lot of the goodwill he got from the first fight might dissipate.

He might not care about that. He seems only interested in mind games with froch rather than garnering public support. Whichever, he's getting a bit repetitive. Think I'll do my best to avoid the rest of the build up.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 03 May 2014, 10:43 am

Love it. Love it all.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 03 May 2014, 11:34 am

Watched a clip of the interview and saw Froch say that he would swere GGG and give him a wide berth due to him being a murderous puncher.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sat 03 May 2014, 11:57 am

There's nothing more they can say to each other. They've been repeating the same mantras since day one. We're not going to hear or see anything new until fight night.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Sky are doing a kind of HBO 24/7 thing with this fight?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 03 May 2014, 12:10 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Love it. Love it all.

Is Eddie bent over you?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 03 May 2014, 12:18 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:There's nothing more they can say to each other. They've been repeating the same mantras since day one. We're not going to hear or see anything new until fight night.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Sky are doing a kind of HBO 24/7 thing with this fight?

Sky will do the Behind the Ropes Special with them both the week of the fight like last time I imagine.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 03 May 2014, 12:18 pm

Strongback wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Love it. Love it all.

Is Eddie bent over you?

Nibbling my ear...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 03 May 2014, 12:41 pm

Would love to see a "The Gloves are Off"

Bring in Calzaghe, Degale, Froch and Groves round the table!!!!

Imagine that for viewing!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 03 May 2014, 12:43 pm

Add in Steve Collins too for a bit of comedic value while he explains how he would beat all of them on the same night.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 03 May 2014, 12:44 pm

Nah just the 4 mate, Collins would ruin it with his moaning.

Froch would be getting it from all angles. Hes head would explode!! lol
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 03 May 2014, 2:09 pm

Just watched Groves/Froch Ringside,what an irritating little git Groves came over as,Groves was talking like someone who was trying to convince himself Froch can't win,and try as he might he couldn't wind Froch up.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 03 May 2014, 3:41 pm

Froch must be getting his moneys worth out of that phycologist he's paying for....after Groves GOT INTO HIS HEAD!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 03 May 2014, 4:52 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Froch must be getting his moneys worth out of that phycologist he's paying for....after Groves GOT INTO HIS HEAD!
Perhaps Groves is getting inside his own head judging by his Ringside performance.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 03 May 2014, 5:04 pm

Wow I'm only just actually watching this and Froch hasn't come across this well in years!

Groves isn't winning any fans.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 03 May 2014, 5:15 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Wow I'm only just actually watching this and Froch hasn't come across this well in years!

Groves isn't winning any fans.

Froch knows he's better than Groves.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 03 May 2014, 5:42 pm

That asking/telling bit was hilarious!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 03 May 2014, 6:00 pm

Don't tend to go in for the 'who is winning the psychological battle?' stuff, but what the hell. Isn't to be taken too seriously anyway, is it?

Groves APPEARS more confident and brimming with more self-belief to me, but the fact that he's a bit more of a natural on camera than Froch probably aids that. He might lose a few fans by employing the ol' sharp tongue non-stop, but that's not really relevant and clearly not a concern to him. If not having the cheers from the crowd was a mental blow to Groves, or if whoever had the most fans had any bearing on how the fight could / will unfold, then Groves would have been sparked inside a round last November - because before that first bell rang, he basically didn't have a friend inside the Phones4U!

To be honest it was Groves who clearly got the better of the head to heads last time and came out looking the smarter, so I'm not surprised he's just continued along the same lines. It was Froch who had to make the changes and try something new, because his attempts at intimidating Groves last time, using a threatening demeanour and telling the world that Groves was just a kid who was bricking it and who would run for his life turned out to be pretty embarrassing given how the fight ended up going.

Tricky for him, because while he obviously can't / won't try the same stuff again, at the same time I'm sure he doesn't want to appear too passive or polite in contrast, lest he fears giving Groves some kind of edge by changing so much.

But to be fair to Froch I think he's struck a decent balance this time out. Still looks a bit uncomfortable around Groves to me (for instance, the handshake seemed to bring a bit of an odd reaction) but he's handled himself well enough in the verbal sparring there, and I agree that Groves will be a bit disappointed in not being able to get more of a rise out of him.

Don't think it'll mean a great deal come fight night, but hey ho, interesting to chuck a few opinions around. Hopefully won't be any other stuff like this until the last day or two before the fight as there isn't really too much that can or needs to be added by either man now, as others have pointed out.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 03 May 2014, 6:37 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Don't tend to go in for the 'who is winning the psychological battle?' stuff, but what the hell. Isn't to be taken too seriously anyway, is it?

Groves APPEARS more confident and brimming with more self-belief to me, but the fact that he's a bit more of a natural on camera than Froch probably aids that. He might lose a few fans by employing the ol' sharp tongue non-stop, but that's not really relevant and clearly not a concern to him. If not having the cheers from the crowd was a mental blow to Groves, or if whoever had the most fans had any bearing on how the fight could / will unfold, then Groves would have been sparked inside a round last November - because before that first bell rang, he basically didn't have a friend inside the Phones4U!

To be honest it was Groves who clearly got the better of the head to heads last time and came out looking the smarter, so I'm not surprised he's just continued along the same lines. It was Froch who had to make the changes and try something new, because his attempts at intimidating Groves last time, using a threatening demeanour and telling the world that Groves was just a kid who was bricking it and who would run for his life turned out to be pretty embarrassing given how the fight ended up going.

Tricky for him, because while he obviously can't / won't try the same stuff again, at the same time I'm sure he doesn't want to appear too passive or polite in contrast, lest he fears giving Groves some kind of edge by changing so much.

But to be fair to Froch I think he's struck a decent balance this time out. Still looks a bit uncomfortable around Groves to me (for instance, the handshake seemed to bring a bit of an odd reaction) but he's handled himself well enough in the verbal sparring there, and I agree that Groves will be a bit disappointed in not being able to get more of a rise out of him.

Don't think it'll mean a great deal come fight night, but hey ho, interesting to chuck a few opinions around. Hopefully won't be any other stuff like this until the last day or two before the fight as there isn't really too much that can or needs to be added by either man now, as others have pointed out.
Yes I agree Chris doesn't matter what's said outside the ring its what happens inside, makes no odds who has who cheering them,the bell goes there's only 2 fighting.
Remember Alex Arthur telling Michael Gomez you know you can't win this fight Michael,Gomez forgot to listen, so talks cheap.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 04 May 2014, 1:39 am

Thought the handshake seemed borderline matey!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 04 May 2014, 11:36 pm

Froch is clearly trying to be calmness personified to make Groves think he can't get in his head this time. Was watching some of the build up footage from the first fight on YouTube earlier and I didn't appreciate at the time just how wound up Froch was by groves, he was driven to distraction and it must've affected him in his preparation and in the fight. Undoubtedly he's recognised it as one (of many) errors he made and is trying to rectify it. I think he's still affected by Groves though, you can tell by his facial expressions and the odd lapses of cool he has.

If I were Groves I'd ease off though, he's expending a lot of energy with his mind games, I think they worked more first time when Froch was under estimating him, this time he needs to be focusing more on his boxing and ironing out the flaws that allowed Froch back into the fight. Watched the fight again earlier too, for me Groves appears to totally have Froch's number, I couldn't give Froch a round apart from maybe the 5th if I'm being generous, he must've studied him meticulously, and as long as he sticks to his gameplan and his conditioning doesn't let him down I would favour a Groves UD if I was betting.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down