The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ring Fighter of the Year 2014

+5
TopHat24/7
Elpondo
catchweight
88Chris05
Bebop
9 posters

Go down

Ring Fighter of the Year 2014 Empty Ring Fighter of the Year 2014

Post by Bebop Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:55 am

Hi all,

You may have seen my slightly dodgy boxing opinions appear on a couple of other threads but thought I would introduce myself as the newest member of the board, by taking inspiration form the top P4P thread in 5 years, and trying to predict the future.

So below are a few names I think could pick up fighter of the year this year (ignoring the new found politics around it)

Tim Bradley - if he gets past Manny again & convincingly & takes out Marquez/Prov winner again he is in with a good shout. The only thing holding him back is he has beaten them all already!

Mayweather - Hasn't won for a few years but guess the P4P king is an obvious suggestion

George Groves - Bit of a long shot - If he can overcome Froch and avoid Ward then maybe in for a shout.

Golovkin - Most people thought he should have won it last year, another good year starting by beating a good name but fairly useless fighter in Chavez Jr & possibly meeting Cotto & Martinez his year would put him in with a good shout.

Adonis Stevenson - Not sure who else he has left to wipe out, but given his style cant rule him out again.

Andre Ward - Should be nailed on to win it if he can find some decent opponents, maybe starting with Froch if he comes through against Groves?

Vasyl Lomachenko - Despite his loss, his desire to fight the best & get a title early might buy him a lot of fans if he pulls it off and even avenges his defeat

Just a few names, probably quite obvious, but would welcome opinions & any obscure outsiders you might think of.

Cheers!

Bebop

Back to top Go down

Ring Fighter of the Year 2014 Empty Re: Ring Fighter of the Year 2014

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:15 am

God only knows at this stage, mate. I thought Golovkin getting it in 2013 was a bit of a joke, really - and I rate Golovkin. So nothing would surprise me when it comes to The Ring.

We kind of know already what Bradley's 2014 schedule is likely to be if he gets past Pacquiao (as Marquez should really beat Alvarado) so in Manny and Marquez he definitely has the kind of names you'd want a Fighter of the Year to have accounted for, but there's no guarantee he'll get past Pacquiao in any case, and how much credit would he get for beating Marquez again a single year after defeating him for the first time?

The pound for pound king is always an obvious option, but Maidana and (you'd think) the winner of Khan-Collazo doesn't really constitute a vintage Mayweather year, so I think that's him out of the running unless he surprises us with his next opponent after Maidana.

As for the rest, well Lomachenko and Danny Garcia have already had disappointing run outs this year which means they could already be out of the running, Stevenson against Kovalev seems to be moving further and further away rather than getting closer (sort it out, Adonis!) and Ward is in danger of becoming the least talked about pound for pound top three man in history!

I think Terence Crawford could be the dark horse. Went on the road (something for which American fighters often get stick for not doing enough) and outclassed a good titlist in Burns to really announce his arrival as a world class fighter, and being with Arum means that fights in or around his weight class against the likes of Mikey Garcia, Gamboa and Vazquez could be possibilities. Win one of those and there will be a big buzz around him.

But as I said, I find it impossible to say right now.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:23 am

I think it will be Pacquiao or Alvarez.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Bebop Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:33 am

Yeah agree its damn hard to really know what will happen, guess its more of a who do we expect big things from question

Good shout on Terence Crawford, although Mikey Garcia is also a possibility

catchweight - cant see it being Pacman, might get the right names on his record but his star has fallen a little too much to me.

Alvarez is a good shout but can he put together enough good wins after comprehensively being beaten by Floyd?

Bebop

Back to top Go down

Post by Elpondo Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:43 am

We can only base this on the fights that have been made and are likely to be made, and I'm trying not to repeat the ones you've suggested so....

If Wilder beats Stiverne/Arreola and then beats Wlad in the Autumn, that would give him a chance.

If Martinez beats Cotto and then Alvarez

I don't think these are too far fetched

Elpondo

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:47 am

The Ring will be dying to give it to Alvarez (if thats who it is that decides on it). He has one win already and theres a great chance he will move up and either get a fight with Martinez/Cotto winner or a shot a the vacant belt if Martinez retires.

If Pacquaio beats Bradley then he is half way there. Much tougher than fight Maidana or Khan.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:50 am

Mikey Garcia's year.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:24 am

Floyd Mayweather...

Number 1.....Maidana and Garcia wins will confirm the deal..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:30 am

Garcia's just looked weak/poor - probably right, likely Floyd oppo now. Blown up to 147 though, PBF maybe agreeing (and ignoring) a catchweight also.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:34 am

Does anyone even read it these days?

The winner of Pacquiao-Bradley will take some stopping.

I'd love to see a lighter weight fighter win it - Roman Gonzalez for example.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:47 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Floyd Mayweather...

Number 1.....Maidana and Garcia wins will confirm the deal..

If they gave it to Golovkin last year then maybe. You probably see Maidana as a "Macklin type" being a number six ranked welterweight and all?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:48 am

If one of the heavy prospects mans up and fights Wlad and pulls it off..

They'll be a shoe in...

Like Flash Gordon beating Ming the Boxing world would be eternally grateful..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:41 am

Maidana, as long as he beats Mayweather.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:22 am

I thought mayweather or stevenson should've won last year! This year will be tight Martinez could pull it out the bag with cotto then GGG

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down