The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most pointless fight ever?

+4
tarriq.ibrahim
Rowley
milkyboy
spencerclarke
8 posters

Go down

Most pointless fight ever? Empty Most pointless fight ever?

Post by spencerclarke Thu 20 Mar 2014, 9:49 am

I was looking through the schedule for fights on boxrec and came across possibly the most pointless fight ever.

Junior Witter v Max Maxwell 16-40.

Surely journeymen are there to give tough rounds to up and coming fighters. To not upset their record but to give them a difficult night. This fight I'm not really sure what it does. Any thoughts?

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Most pointless fight ever? Empty Re: Most pointless fight ever?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:10 am

Bruno v Chuck Gardner

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:33 am

Don't really know if this fight is pointless, because if Witter insists on fighting on (and I'm not sure why he does) then to be honest, that's the level he's at now. All he can do at the moment is try to rack up a few wins against journeymen and hope that one of the British / Commonwealth champions throws him a crumb.

He was absolutely awful in Prizefighter three years ago, and being reduced to that really should have been enough to convince him that it was time to call it a day. Commendable that he's trying to give his career the kiss of life at the age of forty, but I don't think it'll get much better than these kind of match ups for him now.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:21 am

Since the Police and Bradford City Council made a concerted effort to move the alcoholics and drug addicts from the bottom of Ivegate, Witter has struggled to find worthwhile opposition

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:26 am

You've got a lot of class..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:33 pm

I know, but what has that got to do with the topic at hand

Back to top Go down

Post by tarriq.ibrahim Fri 21 Mar 2014, 1:14 pm

Haye v Harrison has got to be up there!
tarriq.ibrahim
tarriq.ibrahim

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 1:34 pm

Welcome aboard, Tarriq.

I'll never forget some of the stuff I read on the old BBC board before that fight. It was ridiculous. If ever there was a build up to a fight which demonstrated what an incredible salesman and talker Audley is, it was that one. As the fight got nearer there was a decent handful of people saying stuff like, "If Audley lands that big left it's all over, and I think he will", or "Audley's size and strength is just too much for Haye, we've not seen the best of Harrison yet but I believe it's his time to shine now", and so on.

"I know what the outcome will be if I fight David Haye, and in David Haye's heart, he knows the outcome as well." Indeed he did, Audley - which is why he told his family exactly what round he was going to get you out of there so they could place some tidy amounts on it at the bookies!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Mar 2014, 1:49 pm

Easy in hindsight Chris. But haye was just dancing to Audrey's tune when the lucky punch landed.

Watch it in 20 years time and you'll spot the quiet beating a-farce was dishing out

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 21 Mar 2014, 1:50 pm

Audley is currently discussing making a comeback. Funny thing is the guy who previewed it on Boxing News' website (believe it was Matt Christie) said exactly that Chris. He knows damned well it is not going to happen for Audley, but after listening to him for 20 minutes or so his resolution was wavering, such was Audley's ability to sell himself. If he could fight as well as he could talk Canastota would be constructing a new wing just for him as we speak.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 1:58 pm

Never mind a new wing, Rowley. The Hall would be renamed in his honour.

Truth be told, I've always found something about Audley quite endearing and likeable and if I was granted a few boxing wishes then I'd be tempted to include him somehow getting another world title shot, being outboxed for eleven and three quarter rounds before landing that often talked about, seldom seen left hand bomb to snatch victory and a title from the jaws of defeat - purely for Audley's victory speech in the interview after!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by tarriq.ibrahim Fri 21 Mar 2014, 2:00 pm

Thanks Chris, that fight angered me enough at the time so it seemed like the perfect subject to issue my first post. All true Boxing fans knew Audley would get battered, as crude, horrible and naive as his comment was, as Haye said it was always going to be as one-sided as a g**g r**e. Absolute joke of a fight.
tarriq.ibrahim
tarriq.ibrahim

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 2:05 pm

I don't mind Audley freezing and ripping us off against Haye..

Don't mind him looking pathetic against Price and others..

What I do mind is this knob thinking we are so stupid we don't remember..

Get lost Audley and get a job..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 2:35 pm

Speaking of fighters talking a good one beforehand but then freezing on the night and spectacularly failing to deliver on promises - anyone else here remember / ever seen the Terry Norris vs Paul Vaden fight?

Vaden reeled off some insane amateur statistics (not quite Lomachenko-esque, but not far off!) and had managed to go unbeaten in the pro ranks, winning the IBF Light-Middleweight title. Norris was the WBC champion and their fight was being billed as the biggest grudge match in boxing, as Vaden had reportedly been having it off with Norris' wife (they'd been a couple before Norris had met her, and when Norris divorced her she apparently ran right back to Vaden) and had been taunting Norris about it.

Norris got himself in hot water beforehand when he said that he'd be "trying to kill" Vaden in the ring, and Vaden responded by saying he was going to shatter Norris' glass jaw and make him pay for his ignorance.

But on fight night, Vaden hardly threw a punch in anger and handed his belt to Norris almost apologetically! I believe he was even in danger of having his purse withheld, too, so awful was his lack of effort. If you've seen it then you'll know what I mean....If you haven't, then just take my word for it and save yourself the agony.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 2:36 pm

Lewis- Akinwande looked a decent matchup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt Ward Fri 21 Mar 2014, 2:44 pm

Well he's fighting because he's still trying to make a living. Who do we expect to see Junior Witter in with? He's over two hills and this is the level he's at.

Kurt Ward

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Fri 21 Mar 2014, 2:50 pm

Wlad vs Alex Leapai???

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down