The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are all British TV detectives miserable ??

+2
Duty281
TRUSSMAN66
6 posters

Go down

Why are all British TV detectives miserable ?? Empty Why are all British TV detectives miserable ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:15 pm

HTF wants to see a miserable wally walking around for two hours ..................Frost , Inspector Banke, Midsummer murders, Inspector Morse, PD James guy, Poirot, Marple.......

Can't a detective over here have a personality or what ????..........What is good about being bland ????.......

I'm not surprised most people confess at the end..........Ten minutes with any of these guys and I'd admit to killing both Kennedys.........

Let's try cheerful for a change !!  Very Happy  thumbsup

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Why are all British TV detectives miserable ?? Empty Re: Why are all British TV detectives miserable ??

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

Try dealing with a guy who's killed a five year old boy in his bed or interview the victims of sexual assault. Try speaking to people involved in fatal hit and runs or try speaking to elderly/vulnerable victims of crime and see how chuckles there are to be found.

It's not a laff riot by any stretch dear chap.

Back to top Go down

Why are all British TV detectives miserable ?? Empty Re: Why are all British TV detectives miserable ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:52 pm

No but it's fiction...........A guy can have a sense of humor.......I'm sure some cops have them..

Starsky and Hutch did.............Cagney and Lacey did.........If you get my drift ..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:33 pm

But people do tend to want a bit of realism (outside of Midsomer which has a murder rate to rival New York) so the Detective who runs a clown school in his spare time is likely to have old Mrs Jenkins sniffing haughtily into her tea shouting "poppycock" at her budgie Cyril.

BTW, wasn't Cagney struggling with alcoholism during the show and didn't Lacey have all manner of domestic issues with her husband Harvey (not that I ever watched it)

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:58 pm

"You great soft, sissy, girly, nancy, french, bender, Man-United-supporting-poof!"

"All in all, this investigation is moving at the speed of a Joey Deacon in a magnet factory!"

"Don't move you're surrounded by armed ba****ds."

Ah...the greatest British detective of them all.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 19 Mar 2014, 8:04 am

Jasper Carrott was rather jovial in 'The Detectives'

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Wed 19 Mar 2014, 8:50 am

Dangermouse was pretty funny

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Mar 2014, 10:21 am

"You great soft, sissy, girly, nancy, french, bender, Man-United-supporting-poof!"

Had that as my ringtone until someone at work objected...they were French and therefore by extension, a very objectionable person.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 19 Mar 2014, 3:38 pm

Duty281 wrote:"You great soft, sissy, girly, nancy, french, bender, Man-United-supporting-poof!"

"All in all, this investigation is moving at the speed of a Joey Deacon in a magnet factory!"

"Don't move you're surrounded by armed ba****ds."

Ah...the greatest British detective of them all.

Was that Miss Marple?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Mar 2014, 3:46 pm

Miss Marple would never use the word soft ..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 19 Mar 2014, 4:00 pm

Because wise-cracking punnery is left to thick Yanks??

Compare that to US detectives/investigators in recent tv shows that are good:

Mack & Horatio in CSIs NY & Miami respectively
MM & Woody's characters in True Detective
Stabler & Benson in SVU

Hardly a bundle of laughs anywhere in there, just good acting in good shows you suspect are an accurate portrayal of reality.

If your detectives are jokers then so are your shows.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Mar 2014, 4:15 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Because wise-cracking punnery is left to thick Yanks??

A remark like that could be hurtful... Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 19 Mar 2014, 5:26 pm

Hmmm...the word "sp**tic" gets changed to "Joey Deacon" which is possibly a great deal more offensive.

And yet crap isn't under the list of words on the swear filter.

Funny old forum.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down